Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,162 members, 7,838,975 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 11:51 AM

Nairalander Doing Africa Proud - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nairalander Doing Africa Proud (5681 Views)

Fashola Made Me A Proud Grandfather- Tinubu / Proud Ibadan (pictures) / Yoruba-Men Must Be Proud Of Obasanjo — Aregbesola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairalander Doing Africa Proud by Gbenge77(m): 5:29pm On Jul 09, 2011
Congrats.
Re: Nairalander Doing Africa Proud by loma(m): 3:24am On Jul 16, 2011
http://tribune.com.ng/index.php/features/25115-lack-of-access-to-finance-biggest-problem-of-entrepreneurs

Idris Ayodeji Bello is the Information Management Champion with Chevron Corporation. But outside his official engagement, he is involved in a number of projects targetted at improving the lot of Africans; such as Library Across Africa, Wennovation Hub and AfyaZima Africa. In this interaction with Sulaimon Olanrewaju, the multiple award winner speaks about his life and preoccupation.

IDRIS Bello is passionate about Africa’s development. He wants to do all in his power to ensure that Nigeria and the rest of Africa utilise their potentialities so that the continent will no longer be a wilderness of hunger, diseases, war and ignorance but a well developed continent that provides the best for her citizens.

Bello is of the opinion that a way of reversing the trend of underdevelopment in Africa is through enterprise. He avers, “A new wave of young women and men, armed with a burning resolve, enabled by global networks, and not governments or large multinationals, hold the key to solving Africa's social and economic problems, these are the people I refer to as Afropreneurs. While it is true that these individuals will need the support of government and big organisations, getting Nigeria and Africa out of the ‘recipient’ mentality will depend largely on the success of its Afropreneurs or Naijapreneurs. We need to focus on empowerment and providing an enabling environment, rather than just spoon-feeding people.”

He, however, laments that lack of access to capital is crippling enterprises in the country. He says, “According to a recent survey on VC4Africa, access to finance is one of the biggest challenges faced by young African entrepreneurs. Other challenges include the lack of a conducive and enabling environment to support startups. Getting a business registered in a country like Nigeria can be a very tedious process, and the added problems of navigating bureaucratic bottlenecks, getting legal advice and finding good mentors has precipitated an economic environment which has sent many good ideas from their ‘embryonic stages’ to their untimely ‘economic graves’”.

As his contribution to solving these problems, he teamed up with some people to establish the Wennovation Hub.
Bello says, “The Wennovation Hub is a true hub for start-up business development located in Ikeja, Lagos Nigeria with a focus on synthesizing high impact start-up growth, facilitation and development in West Africa. The hub provides office space, ongoing support, network and contacts, funding and affordable project support for innovative early stage companies in Nigeria and the ECOWAS region. The Wennovation Hub is an initiative of LoftyInc Allied Partner founded by Michael Oluwagbemi and Africa Leadership Forum (ALF). I am the Programme Director for the hub, while Dr Oluwole Odetayo manages the hub on a daily basis.

“Our hope is that the Wennovation Hub (and eventually the Wennovation Village) will provide this enabling environment to help young entrepreneurs overcome these challenges. Through the Wennovation Hub, we recently kick started the LoftyInc Angels Network, which is arguably Nigeria’s first Angel Network to fund the viable business ideas which pass through the Wennovation Hub.”

His concerns about the inadequacy of libraries on the continent resulted in the establishment of Libraries Across Africa with a view to bridging the noticeable gaps.

Speaking on Libraries Across Africa, he says, “Libraries Across Africa (LAA) is a non-profit social venture whose mission is to empower individuals through access to information. Each LAA library uses broadband Internet connectivity to provide relevant content and information resources to underserved communities in Africa.

“An LAA library is a combination of an innovative building system; community tailored books and electronic content, collaborative workspaces, and trained library staff. While the original idea was not mine, it was the outcome of an MSc thesis work by two Architecture students at Rice University, I joined the team to help transform the idea from concept to reality, leveraging my business knowledge in the African environment, and my understanding of the social need we were tackling having spent the first 20 years of my life in Nigeria. We are currently close to implementing our first pilot in Accra, Ghana.”

Talking about AfyaZima, he says, “AfyaZima is an organisation focused on the sustainable delivery of low cost health technologies to the developing world, while also integrating local insight and strategic consulting with a deep understanding of the key drivers that develop and enhance successful health care and bioscience enterprises in Africa. I co-founded this in 2010 with Muntaqa Umar-Sadiq, a medical doctor. Our initial efforts are focused on the provision of aggregated point-of-care (POC) diagnostic tools for the early detection and rapid diagnosis of the major infectious diseases affecting the developing world; HIV, TB and Malaria. We are currently working on our flagship product, the “Elpida Diagnostic Toolbox” (EDT) which will equip mobile doctors who visit rural communities to provide care, with an innovative toolbox that combines POC diagnostic tools with pictorial guides that cross language and cultural barriers and empower patients to take ownership of their management plans.”

Bello, explaining his interest in the programmes meant to improve the lot of Africans, says, “In these efforts I am spurred by my strong belief in the superiority of market-based solutions to Africa's problems. I also recognise that the problems of lack of access to education, health and support for enterprise are intertwined, and hence require the development of locally grown, holistic solutions.

On his dress sense, he says, “I like to dress well, and I am usually okay with anything that looks good on me. I am not obsessed about keeping up with fashion though, so you won’t have me longing for the latest designer shoes!”

His most valuable physical possession is his iphone because, “It serves as my phone, diary, social media tool, camera/video, note taker and a whole list of other things. It keeps me on top of all the things I am involved with. But overall, my faith and family are the most important things to me.”

On what he considers the ingredients of success, he says, “I will refer to a quote from famous inventor, R. Buckminster Fuller, while advising one of his students who was seeking what to do with his life. ‘Look around you. Take a fresh, hard, and uncompromising look at life as you see it. Ask this question, What needs to be done? When you have an answer, and it may take some time to get it, then go and do what needs to be done. Do it better than anyone else does it and the world will beat down your door for your help. Then you will not need a good job; and you will have more than a career. You will have a mission.’ Hence, I view the ingredients of success as; vision, tenacity/courage, flexibility/adaptability and faith.

Then he defines success as “using your finest gifts and deepest desires to help you make a profound difference in the world while also retaining a balance in your responsibilities to your family, and building a strong relationship with your Creator.”

Talking about his legacy, Bello says,“ I would like to be remembered for my contribution towards encouraging entrepreneurship and creativity in the developing world as a tool to lessen the dependence of the citizenry on the state, which affects their willingness to criticise government leaders, thereby perpetuating poor governance.”
Re: Nairalander Doing Africa Proud by kandiikane(m): 3:27am On Jul 16, 2011
Let people do the praising for you, aye.
You just sit back and be humble. wink
Re: Nairalander Doing Africa Proud by loma(m): 3:31am On Jul 16, 2011
Thanks for your comment. Not sure I need any praising, all I ask for is support for our work. Life is too short to look for people's praises.
Re: Nairalander Doing Africa Proud by kandiikane(m): 3:34am On Jul 16, 2011
Ok, do you need a helping hand in your work? Someone young and fresh?
Re: Nairalander Doing Africa Proud by loma(m): 3:42am On Jul 16, 2011
Always, depends on what skills you bring to the table, there is always enough work to go around!
Re: Nairalander Doing Africa Proud by kandiikane(m): 3:45am On Jul 16, 2011
I am a good researcher in various areas.
Does that help?
Re: Nairalander Doing Africa Proud by Ystranger: 3:47am On Jul 16, 2011
kandiikane:

Does that help?

ROTFL
Re: Nairalander Doing Africa Proud by kandiikane(m): 3:49am On Jul 16, 2011
lol, what is your problem? I want to joined the forces who can bring change.
Re: Nairalander Doing Africa Proud by loma(m): 4:27am On Jul 16, 2011
kandiikane:

Does that help?

Taking you up on that. Even though LAA is a non-profit, we intend to make each library sustainable such that it does not continually rely on donors. Kindly research about LAA on our website, and the rest of the web, and come up with fully-fleshed ideas/proposals on how to make the libraries financially sustainable in Nigeria or Ghana. You can email such to me at my first name @ librariesacrossafrica.org
Re: Nairalander Doing Africa Proud by Ystranger: 4:33am On Jul 16, 2011
loma:

Taking you up on that. Even though LAA is a non-profit, we intend to make each library sustainable such that it does not continually rely on donors. Kindly research about LAA on our website, and the rest of the web, and come up with fully-fleshed ideas/proposals on how to make the libraries financially sustainable in Nigeria or Ghana. You can email such to me at my first name @ librariesacrossafrica.org

How is that even possible without charging the same poor people you want to provide access to?

??
Re: Nairalander Doing Africa Proud by loma(m): 4:38am On Jul 16, 2011
Very possible. You need to identify what services are free, and what services can be monetized. Just to give you an example. if the library can be used as an e-learning center for 2 hours each day for university students (and the library is paid from the student's school fees), then it can afford to offer the rest of its services for 'free'. Or you have an instance where the library also doubles as a GRE/GMAT testing center, and those proceeds are used to subsidize the 'free' services.

Its time we got out of the 'everybody is poor in Africa' mentality and things always have to be totally free, its why nothing works! Lets think outside of the box!
Re: Nairalander Doing Africa Proud by Ystranger: 4:52am On Jul 16, 2011
loma:

Very possible. You need to identify what services are free, and what services can be monetized. Just to give you an example. if the library can be used as an e-learning center for 2 hours each day for university students (and the library is paid from the student's school fees),

Did you not have 'e-libraries' at OAU? Why would a self respecting university use your stupiddddd idea for e-learning? Why should OAU students be charged for using your library when they can use thier school library? Will OAU SUG even accept that? lets use common sense. This is not America wher you can confuse them with lies and halftruths, I am original omo ile. Kepp your halftruths and ridiculous ideas to your Americanas who are only buying your idea for the sake of humanity. The same humanity they exploited.

then it can afford to offer the rest of its services for 'free'.

You mean two hours of service would pay for the rest 6hrs or more that it is open per day? Are you even thinking of paying the people working there minimum wage? What kind of employer/entrepreneur are you. This is not China you know.

Or you have an instance where the library also doubles as a GRE/GMAT testing center, and those proceeds are used to subsidize the 'free' services.

Why would anyone take GMAT in your library? Why not JAMB? or WAEC? Why GMAT? Who do you think you are talking to here? You do know why SAT was stopped in Nigeria right?

GMAT ko, NCLEX ni

Its time we got out of the 'everybody is poor in Africa' mentality and things always have to be totally free, its why nothing works!  Lets think outside of the box!

All these bumper sticker you keep quoting, let it stay with the oyinbo people you are decieving.

Like SEFAGO opined earlier, kini big deal gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan sef.

Goodluck, but without sounding too PHD-like, it aint going to work.
Re: Nairalander Doing Africa Proud by NegroNtns(m): 4:57am On Jul 16, 2011
Ioma,

Great job dude, more success to you.

I am reluctant to throw this out but feel the need to get your response to it given that you have a new exposure with this award from Huffington.

Some of the programmes you champion are not new in Africa. In one form or another they have been sampled before and failed.

Though we can attribute many factors for their failure but without doubt we will all agree that vision of exeution and sustainability is primary.

If you are familiar with the principles of lean and six sigma you know that well executed and funded projects are short lived if they are not reinforced with sustainment.

1. To remove redundancy and improve the efficiencies of these programs at the grassroot, are there existing projects that you can cannibalize and fold into your vision for a streamlined implementation?

2. What is your sustainment vision and its transparency through successive regimes on the African political landscape?

Again, Congrats and more successes to your efforts.
Re: Nairalander Doing Africa Proud by Ystranger: 5:01am On Jul 16, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

Some of the programmes you champion are not new in Africa. In one form or another they have been sampled before and failed.

Nothing new, nothing original, just some new face saying the same thing we tried before.

personal success Yes. congrats. Even though not sure what the congrats is for.
Re: Nairalander Doing Africa Proud by loma(m): 5:21am On Jul 16, 2011
@Ystranger, in case you have not noticed, I do not trade insults. Hence I have no response to your diatribe. There is no big deal!

To respond to your questions, @Negro_Ntns, innovation is not ONLY about new ideas, its sometimes about improvement in business processes and execution, or the right timing.

That some ideas have failed in Nigeria/Africa before does not mean they can never work, what you do is examine what needs to be done differently or improved upon. Five years ago when there was little to no broadband availability in Africa, some ideas did not make sense, with increased broadband (especially mobile broadband), they may make sense now.

And rather than spout the principles of lean sigma on here, we will prefer to let our results speak for us. I hope to be back here in 18 months to share where we have succeeded, where we have failed, and what lessons have been learned along the way. What we will never do however is give up because some people feel nothing can be done!
Re: Nairalander Doing Africa Proud by NegroNtns(m): 5:21am On Jul 16, 2011
Y,

I believe you read my post in a rush.

Please read again, in its entirety, starting from "Ioma". Lol.
Re: Nairalander Doing Africa Proud by Ystranger: 5:26am On Jul 16, 2011
loma:

@Ystranger, in case you have not noticed, I do not trade insults. Hence I have no response to your diatribe. There is no big deal!

Glad we understand each other.

Goodluck with whatever you choose to do in future. I hope everything works out well for your pocket the poor kids.
Re: Nairalander Doing Africa Proud by Gbenge77(m): 6:35am On Jul 16, 2011
Congrats
Re: Nairalander Doing Africa Proud by NegroNtns(m): 6:41am On Jul 16, 2011
<Quote>To respond to your questions, @Negro_Ntns, innovation is not ONLY about new ideas, its sometimes about improvement in business processes and execution, or the right timing.

That some ideas have failed in Nigeria/Africa before does not mean they can never work, what you do is examine what needs to be done differently or improved upon. Five years ago when there was little to no broadband availability in Africa, some ideas did not make sense, with increased broadband (especially mobile broadband), they may make sense now.

And rather than spout the principles of lean sigma on here, we will prefer to let our results speak for us. I hope to be back here in 18 months to share where we have succeeded, where we have failed, and what lessons have been learned along the way. What we will never do however is give up because some people feel nothing can be done!</quote>

Ioma,

In almost everything the colonialists asked us to do we Africans did a poor job of asking the "why".

Accountability!!!

We are still guilty of that today. I read in a post other day that Governor Amaechi was replacing the old Governor's jet with a newer model. The state assembly -the ones voted in to speak for the people and act as a check on the excesses of the state executive- were commending Amaechi for his leadership on that decision. They authorized the purchase. No questions asked.

When our politicians and business leaders present proposals we never ask how it impacts us and whether it will produce measurable and sustainable results.

Three successive governments, one after another, introduced and funded the same project under different names and never completed or reported its outcome.

Nobody asked questions.

A fourth regime is coming in with its own name and funding for that same project and still we will cheer it on as a good progress.

Our culture is programmed to cheer failures.

Successive generations of Africans, well tutored and brilliant, sitting on stacks of academic laurels and yet uncultured in true management and sustainment of society. We know how to read and pass exams but we have no clue on how to translate the theories of our instructions into practical utilities that resolve social barriers.

Please Mr Ioma, I do not mean to come across a party pooper, I am sure you have thought about these same issues and that's what led you in the direction you have championed.

The belief that an improvement is needed to resolve the unbearable stagnation.

That's an ideal. Your response for action is far better than what most people do; complain and do nothing!

So if nothing at all, you ought to be commended for the first step. So the Huffington award is deserved.

However, given your response to my questions, it appears to me that you have visions but you do not yet have the plans to realize those visions and believe that things will naturally fall in place as you unfold each stage of the vision with the help of veteran grassroot organisers and volunteers and NGOs that will come along or be recruited.

Be careful! Vision, Plans, Measures and Feedback are your friends in this endeavor.

I wish you the best of luck.

Y,

Temper your emotions.

I feel you and I know and can see your points clearly.
There is miscommunication. You are in apprehension of failed promises and deceit, repeatedly sold to unwary minds.

Your passion to protect the citizen from the deceit and exploitation of the foreigner is in harmony with Ioma's passion to unlock and awaken the citizen to self-preserve and survive. . . .but you miscommunicated.

What Ioma has is good. You and I See a need to protect but he sees a need to empower.

A conservative mind against a liberal one but both striving for the same goal.

Temper your responses and share with him what you know to help advance his good work.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ijaw Youths Group Endorses Buhari / 20 Funny Hilarious Pictures Of Buhari Will Make You Laugh (PHOTOS) / No Plans To Increase Petrol Price - NNPC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.