Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,558 members, 7,837,150 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:50 PM

Nairalander Doing Africa Proud - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nairalander Doing Africa Proud (5680 Views)

Fashola Made Me A Proud Grandfather- Tinubu / Proud Ibadan (pictures) / Yoruba-Men Must Be Proud Of Obasanjo — Aregbesola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nairalander Doing Africa Proud by Jarus(m): 10:05pm On Jul 05, 2011
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/05/huffpost-greatest-person-of-day_n_890504.html

While speaking with Idris Bello and hearing about his numerous accomplishments, one begins to feel a bit lazy in comparison. Though he only just graduated from Rice University's business school, Bello has amassed a laundry list of awards and fellowships that barely fit on one page.

But for this self-proclaimed "Afropreneur," the grants and awards are only the tip of the iceberg. Bello has also been instrumental in creating a staggering number of organizations that aim to make Africa more self-sufficient, a goal he has had since he arrived in the U.S from Nigeria to attend the University of Houston in 2004.

There's the Next Cool Idea program, which funds unique proposals from Rice students and alumni, the Wennovation Hub, which supports West African startups and small businesses, and AfyaZima Africa, which Bello co-founded to provide sustainable health technologies for the developing world.

"I do a lot of things," Bello said, laughing as he acknowledged his hectic schedule. "But I'm lucky enough to have these opportunities, so I give back. You have to give back."

For Bello, who lost two of his siblings to health problems when he was very young, the chance to "give back" to Nigeria and the African people never used to be an option. From the moment he arrived in the U.S., he knew he'd be working toward that goal. But a recent project has hit especially close to home.

"My dad was a university librarian," Bello said. "And I remember growing up he always said, 'Never get caught without a book.'"

When two Rice architecture students, David and Rachel Dewane, came to Bello with the idea for Libraries Across Africa, they weren't aware of the personal connection it had for him.

"They had no connection with Africa, no business experience, and they came over to the business school to look for people who might know how to do business in Africa," Bello said. "I knew what life was like at most of the libraries over there, [with] just one textbook for thousands of students in a reference section."

The goal of the program was simple: "empower individuals through access to information." By establishing low-cost infrastructure for libraries and connecting people directly with computer training, even the poorest communities can become more self-sustaining.

The team drummed up a plan and a mission statement, and took its proposal to business competitions across the country to try to raise the necessary funding.

"Right now, less than 10 percent of Africans have access to the internet," Bello said. "Africa's problems will not [be] solved by governments. There is a new wave of young men and women, and they will be enabled by more global networks."

Bello explained that there's not always an easily accessible location for young Africans to meet and discuss ideas, to utilize everything people in the U.S. take for granted on the Web. These libraries can also serve as their de facto "Starbucks," or their "FedEx Kinko's," as he put it. Africans need to become more self-sustaining, and should be fully aware of the world outside their own villages, he said.

"A lot of U.S. future enterprises depend on Africa," Bello said. "Many people don't realize that it is all intertwined -- good health, businesses, and education."

Bello is adamant that the last thing Africa needs is more monetary support. "Africa does not want aid anymore! Aid is great, you give aid, a very small percentage goes to the people, the rest goes somewhere else."

"People need to be independent," he said. "Africa is ready to solve their own problems."

Bello is also involved in a program that seeks to develop mobile apps for small businesses in Nigeria, and another that enables doctors to do lab tests in malaria-stricken communities without a stable power supply. And the Libraries Across Africa program just won a $10,000 grant from the Dell Social Innovation Competition.

"Africa needs support, they need partnership," Bello said. "Let's empower them."
Re: Nairalander Doing Africa Proud by violent(m): 10:10pm On Jul 05, 2011
and who's this guy on NL?
Re: Nairalander Doing Africa Proud by aljharem3: 10:10pm On Jul 05, 2011
congrates cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

who is he
Re: Nairalander Doing Africa Proud by Jarus(m): 10:13pm On Jul 05, 2011
Congrats as you add another award to your already long list of medals, winning Huffpost Greatest Person of the Day. Continue to strive for the emergence of a better Africa. We are all supporting you.

Knowing you from your Ife days, I have never doubted your potential.

Your contributions on Nairaland here, though few, are always loaded,
Re: Nairalander Doing Africa Proud by Afam4eva(m): 10:13pm On Jul 05, 2011
It's me oo.
Re: Nairalander Doing Africa Proud by Jarus(m): 10:15pm On Jul 05, 2011
I will reveal his NL identitY only if he gives his consent.
Re: Nairalander Doing Africa Proud by Afam4eva(m): 10:17pm On Jul 05, 2011
Then why did you include nairalander in your post if you aren.t going to disclose the person's nairaland identity.
Re: Nairalander Doing Africa Proud by jmaine: 10:18pm On Jul 05, 2011
Jarus:

I will reveal his NL identitY only if he gives his consent.

Your thread caption demands you tell us . . .that was the main cache of this story . . so who is this honorable nairalander, you have a duty to tell us  . . .
Re: Nairalander Doing Africa Proud by dayokanu(m): 10:18pm On Jul 05, 2011
Re: Nairalander Doing Africa Proud by jmaine: 10:21pm On Jul 05, 2011
dayokanu:

The person is

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-603003.160.html#msg8657382

Thanks Dayo, but it did not solve the Idrissu nairalander ID  wink wink
Re: Nairalander Doing Africa Proud by aljharem3: 10:25pm On Jul 05, 2011
good one
Re: Nairalander Doing Africa Proud by loma(m): 11:30pm On Jul 05, 2011
Thanks for the comments and best wishes. Nairaland has played a huge role in keeping poor folks like us connected with the motherland
Re: Nairalander Doing Africa Proud by aljharem3: 11:33pm On Jul 05, 2011
loma:

Thanks for the comments and best wishes. Nairaland has played a huge role in keeping poor folks like us connected with the motherland

and thank you too for acknowledging nairaland we appreciate it

we wish you the best in you endeavour and Allah be with you
Re: Nairalander Doing Africa Proud by Nobody: 11:57pm On Jul 05, 2011
This sounds like an april fools joke in July.

If u have no intention to reveal the name, why the topic?
Re: Nairalander Doing Africa Proud by semid4lyfe(m): 12:18am On Jul 06, 2011
krendo:
If u have no intention to reveal the name, why the topic?

Was about to ask the same thing.

Knew immediately who the guy was when I saw ''Libraries Across Africa''.

Congrats to the guy
Re: Nairalander Doing Africa Proud by dayokanu(m): 12:57am On Jul 06, 2011
The guy already posted his NL ID is LOMA
Re: Nairalander Doing Africa Proud by Nobody: 4:33am On Jul 06, 2011
"Right now, less than 10 percent of Africans have access to the internet," Bello said. "Africa's problems will not [be] solved by governments. There is a new wave of young men and women, and they will be enabled by more global networks."

Who ever this individual is s/he is exactly on point. Too long have our governments not only failed to provide progress, but also stood squarely in the way of it. It time we told them to get out of our way so that we may repair our own problems. After I have completed school I hope to help solve our own problems.
Re: Nairalander Doing Africa Proud by Jarus(m): 8:15am On Jul 06, 2011
I knew the I'd will surely be revealed but just held on to add suspense to the thread.

It's LOMA.
Re: Nairalander Doing Africa Proud by dustydee: 8:57am On Jul 06, 2011
Where is he from?am surprised that neither the Yoruba's nor the igbo's are laying claims to him. undecided
Re: Nairalander Doing Africa Proud by Afam4eva(m): 9:02am On Jul 06, 2011
He obviously isn't Igbo judging by his name. It doesn't metter where he's from. The most important thing is that he's doind us proud.
Re: Nairalander Doing Africa Proud by seedord247(m): 9:29am On Jul 06, 2011
afam4eva:

He obviously isn't Igbo judging by his name. It doesn't metter where he's from. The most important thing is that he's doind us proud.

atleast he was not caught with Bomb or fake boarding passs.
Re: Nairalander Doing Africa Proud by Jarus(m): 9:33am On Jul 06, 2011
He's Yoruba guy from Ogun state, but pls let's take tribe out of this.
Re: Nairalander Doing Africa Proud by Dotman01(m): 9:40am On Jul 06, 2011
loma:

congrats man
Re: Nairalander Doing Africa Proud by Nobody: 10:33am On Jul 06, 2011
[size=15pt]Lots of real cool dudes Nairaland ladies take for Granted here, [/size]
Re: Nairalander Doing Africa Proud by shawonlese: 10:34am On Jul 06, 2011
Congrats
Re: Nairalander Doing Africa Proud by violent(m): 10:38am On Jul 06, 2011
Jarus:

He's Yoruba guy from Ogun state, but pls let's take tribe out of this.

The thread should have read[i] "Yoruba man doing Africa Proud"[/i]  cheesy

my bad, did you say take tribe out of it?
Re: Nairalander Doing Africa Proud by agabaI23(m): 10:40am On Jul 06, 2011
It was his intelligent and rib cracking jokes and cartoons that made him stand out but I sensed that there was more to this individual which I could not place my hands on.

I was not surprised when the Dell competition blew his backside up.

I have spoken with him and all I could hear was passion, belief, vision, hope and excellence. When scurried through what this individual accomplished within a short time, I lost my breath and like Jarus, I felt lazy.

Loma, I can only say well done one more time. Success has many friends so you are my friend grin
Re: Nairalander Doing Africa Proud by Ibime(m): 11:25am On Jul 06, 2011
Well done bros. Glad to see the Huffington Post featuring the project as well as highlighting your achievements. More inspiration to me.
Re: Nairalander Doing Africa Proud by snthesis(m): 11:25am On Jul 06, 2011
agabaI23:

Loma, I can only say well done one more time.[b] Success has many friends so you are my frien[/b]d grin
lol grin grin grin grin
Re: Nairalander Doing Africa Proud by aljharem3: 12:54pm On Jul 06, 2011
agabaI23:

It was his intelligent and rib cracking jokes and cartoons that made him stand out but I sensed that there was more to this individual which I could not place my hands on.

I was not surprised when the Dell competition blew his backside up.

I have spoken with him and all I could hear was passion, belief, vision, hope and excellence. When scurried through what this individual accomplished within a short time, I lost my breath and like Jarus, I felt lazy.

Loma, I can only say well done one more time. Success has many friends so you are my friend grin

grin grin grin grin funny
Re: Nairalander Doing Africa Proud by TinTin18(f): 12:56pm On Jul 06, 2011
agabaI23:

Success has many friends so you are my friend grin

Lol! Mesef, I tap the 'friendship' annointing o!
[b][/b]
Re: Nairalander Doing Africa Proud by Ivynwa(f): 1:03pm On Jul 06, 2011
Great job from Mr. Loma and his Dayokanu, (Agaba and TinTin  group of friends - guess Agaba and Tintin are happy now  grin grin cool). It's nice that you guys have the good heart to think of bringing development/enlightenment to the doorstep of other Africans on benefitting from the technologies and good life in your country of residence. Bravo!
Is the voting as mentioned in the other post still on so that we can support you guys or has it closed/have you guys won already?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

US Firm, General Electric, Accuses Nigerian Judiciary Of Corruption In US Court / Shocking � - Fulani Herdsmen Replies Bishop Oyedepo / Ahmadu Fintiri: Buhari’s Successor Can Come From Anywhere, Zoning Not A Problem

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.