Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,799 members, 7,810,078 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:11 PM

My Pilot Watermelon Project. - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My Pilot Watermelon Project. (4152 Views)

Watermelon Farming Proper / How To Sell Watermelon Fruits At A Good Profit: Where To Sell, How To Sell And W / My Watermelon Experiment Farm (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Pilot Watermelon Project. by Farmerakinloye6(m): 3:58pm On Apr 09, 2022

1 Like

Re: My Pilot Watermelon Project. by Farmerakinloye6(m): 4:04pm On Apr 09, 2022
My experience with watermelon in 2017 was awful... I planted half hectare then, and gray squirrel ate everything. I will be planting just 90 seed to taste the water once more. I will use manure,npk 15:15:15, potassium nitrate, fungicide and insecticide. Since it is not on commercial scale, I will only be making short video which will be available only on my IG. So cheesy I do the nursery today...

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Pilot Watermelon Project. by house10s2: 4:36pm On Apr 09, 2022
Farmerakinloye6:
My experience with watermelon in 2017 was awful... I planted half acre then, and gray squirrel ate everything. I will be planting just 90 seed to taste the water once more. I will use manure,npk 15:15:15, potassium nitrate, fungicide and insecticide. Since it is not on commercial scale, I will only be making short video which will be available only on my IG. So cheesy I do the nursery today...
and whats d plan on ground to scare of squirrel?

4 Likes

Re: My Pilot Watermelon Project. by bluice25: 6:28pm On Apr 11, 2022
Farmerakinloye6:
My experience with watermelon in 2017 was awful... I planted half hectare then, and gray squirrel ate everything. I will be planting just 90 seed to taste the water once more. I will use manure,npk 15:15:15, potassium nitrate, fungicide and insecticide. Since it is not on commercial scale, I will only be making short video which will be available only on my IG. So cheesy I do the nursery today...
No need for cocopeat right?
Re: My Pilot Watermelon Project. by Farmerakinloye6(m): 7:47pm On Apr 11, 2022
house10s2:
and whats d plan on ground to scare of squirrel?
since it just a little project I will be planting it at the center of farms. Cassava farm in the north and west, tomato east and cucumber South. cheesy honestly this doesn't stop squirrels cheesy anything melon and gray squirrel is 5&6.
Re: My Pilot Watermelon Project. by Farmerakinloye6(m): 7:48pm On Apr 11, 2022
bluice25:

No need for cocopeat right?
I used now.. look at the second post.
Re: My Pilot Watermelon Project. by Farmerakinloye6(m): 3:28pm On Apr 21, 2022
I almost forget the watermelon cheesy work plenty...so I transplanted it yesterday..out of 90 seed it was 78 that germinate.

2 Likes

Re: My Pilot Watermelon Project. by bluice25: 7:50am On Apr 23, 2022
Farmerakinloye6:
I almost forget the watermelon cheesy work plenty...so I transplanted it yesterday..out of 90 seed it was 78 that germinate.
I am following you o
Let us see how it looks like after transplanting sir

2 Likes

Re: My Pilot Watermelon Project. by MrBONE2(m): 12:42pm On Apr 23, 2022
Following grin

2 Likes

Re: My Pilot Watermelon Project. by Farmerakinloye6(m): 4:22pm On Apr 24, 2022
bluice25:

I am following you o
Let us see how it looks like after transplanting sir
okay. I have spray it Once, and apply npk15 15 15.

1 Like

Re: My Pilot Watermelon Project. by bluice25: 8:31pm On Apr 27, 2022
Farmerakinloye6:
okay. I have spray it Once, and apply npk15 15 15.
Ok, what is that dark stuff is it the manure?
Re: My Pilot Watermelon Project. by Farmerakinloye6(m): 2:47pm On Apr 28, 2022
bluice25:

Ok, what is that dark stuff is it the manure?
it is manure, though I mixed it very well before I transplanted it. Maybe tomorrow or weekend I update with picture... busy this day...

1 Like

Re: My Pilot Watermelon Project. by bluice25: 10:23pm On Apr 29, 2022
Farmerakinloye6:
it is manure, though I mixed it very well before I transplanted it. Maybe tomorrow or weekend I update with picture... busy this day...
Ok I’m following you
I transplanted today
Re: My Pilot Watermelon Project. by Farmerakinloye6(m): 7:54pm On Apr 30, 2022
This is what it look like now

Re: My Pilot Watermelon Project. by Farmerakinloye6(m): 3:08pm On May 05, 2022
Creeping begins..

Re: My Pilot Watermelon Project. by Farmerakinloye6(m): 3:57pm On May 12, 2022
Flowering start...

2 Likes

Re: My Pilot Watermelon Project. by Sterlingsolutns: 9:04pm On May 12, 2022
This looks nice !

Which cultivar are you planting?

Thanks

Farmerakinloye6:
Flowering start...
Re: My Pilot Watermelon Project. by Farmerakinloye6(m): 7:00am On May 13, 2022
Sterlingsolutns:
This looks nice !

Which cultivar are you planting?

Thanks

honestly! I don't no the cultivar name. I got the seed from the fruit I bought, it has deep green vertical lines.

1 Like

Re: My Pilot Watermelon Project. by Jonnic1(m): 2:03pm On May 20, 2022
Good one guy. We are following. Already learning and hope to learn more along the way. keep it coming
Re: My Pilot Watermelon Project. by Farmerakinloye6(m): 7:38pm On May 22, 2022
Fruiting begin to set, and Big. I notice the ball has too color, which means the fruit I bought is as result of two species planted (crossed) together. Also, I notice it will not be easy to grow watermelon (open field) in organic way. Despite spraying it, caterpillar still manage to put hole to like two fruit.

3 Likes

Re: My Pilot Watermelon Project. by barnabas6: 9:05pm On May 22, 2022
weldone sir, grey squirrel loves akara so much is like 6units course To them, just buy it or prepare it, split it and add push out (poison). put it anywhere around the Farm they will come and eat that is their end. make sure you do it weekly that is all. thanks.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: My Pilot Watermelon Project. by petrusevents(m): 1:09pm On May 25, 2022
Weldone
Re: My Pilot Watermelon Project. by Farmerakinloye6(m): 9:08pm On May 27, 2022
Fruit growing... I have loose up to like 10 ball to either pouched rat, Gray squirrel or rat.

2 Likes

Re: My Pilot Watermelon Project. by Farmerakinloye6(m): 7:37pm On Jun 15, 2022
If you are following this thread, harvest had start since last week grin me and my boys have being eating minimum of two everyday.. just that I don't have time to post. I will share some important info in my next post... tongue wink smiley

3 Likes

Re: My Pilot Watermelon Project. by FarmTech(m): 11:10pm On Jun 15, 2022
barnabas6:
weldone sir, grey squirrel loves vegetable fried akara so much is like 6units course To them, just buy it or prepare it, split it and add push out (poison). put it anywhere around the Farm they will come and eat that is their end. make sure you do it weekly that is all. thanks.
In addition to This, surround the plot with fish net and rest.
Re: My Pilot Watermelon Project. by barnabas6: 5:57pm On Jun 16, 2022
FarmTech:

In addition to This, surround the plot with fish net and rest.
thank you sir, i appreciate.
Re: My Pilot Watermelon Project. by ThinkSmarter: 6:43pm On Jun 16, 2022
One bulb of watermelon is sold between N800 And N1200 in the East
Agriculture pays
Re: My Pilot Watermelon Project. by okoroemeka(m): 4:17pm On Jun 17, 2022
Farmerakinloye6:
If you are following this thread, harvest had start since last week grin me and my boys have being eating minimum of two everyday.. just that I don't have time to post. I will share some important info in my next post... tongue wink smiley
did you keep tabs on the no of ballls harvested from 78 plants,looks like kaolack and koloss seed is what you planted,how many days to harvest?
Re: My Pilot Watermelon Project. by Farmerakinloye6(m): 8:52am On Jun 18, 2022
okoroemeka:
did you keep tabs on the no of ballls harvested from 78 plants,looks like kaolack and koloss seed is what you planted,how many days to harvest?
I don't keep tab, me and my boys have being eating it everyday since last week. I planted just one variety which I don't know the name. I extract the seed from just one watermelon I bought, it surprise me too when I saw two colors. This after harvest of cucumber and tomato yesterday..

Re: My Pilot Watermelon Project. by okoroemeka(m): 3:52pm On Jun 18, 2022
Farmerakinloye6:
I don't keep tab, me and my boys have being eating it everyday since last week. I planted just one variety which I don't know the name. I extract the seed from just one watermelon I bought, it surprise me too when I saw two colors. This after harvest of cucumber and tomato yesterday..
the one you are holding is koloss variety and the type with plain skin with no green stripes is kaolack variety,big size ball is sold now #1k my side
Re: My Pilot Watermelon Project. by hakeemhakeem(m): 12:15pm On Jun 26, 2022
How many times did you water the crops weekly
Re: My Pilot Watermelon Project. by Farmerakinloye6(m): 8:05pm On Jul 03, 2022
okoroemeka:
the one you are holding is koloss variety and the type with plain skin with no green stripes is kaolack variety,big size ball is sold now #1k my side
the seed I planted is from one fruit, I was surprised to see two different varieties too. The simple explanation is that the fruit is from cross Kaolack and koloss. If am in your side, then I will realize close to 20k on that 78 seed.

(1) (2) (Reply)

ELECTRO GALVANIZED (Deluxe) LAYERS CAGES / How Much Is A Ton Of Dry Maize / Catfish Fingerlings, Juveniles For Sale In Calabar and enjoy 10% of any amount

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.