Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,258 members, 7,815,402 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:51 AM

My Journey Through Academics (bsc. Msc. Ph.d) - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / My Journey Through Academics (bsc. Msc. Ph.d) (26244 Views)

Apply For 2021/2022 PTDF Local Scholarship For BSc, MSc And PhD Candidates / Lady Shares Her Ph.D Experience In A Nigerian University / Anambra University Lecturer Appears In Ph.d Class As ‘Transgender’ (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Journey Through Academics (bsc. Msc. Ph.d) by Tonim(f): 12:03pm On Apr 10, 2022
Congratulations!

Did you obtain your PhD from NAU Awka?

2 Likes

Re: My Journey Through Academics (bsc. Msc. Ph.d) by Maghan37: 12:06pm On Apr 10, 2022
Inspirational bro, i admire you. I am currently studying for my masters, your story as inspired me bro.

1 Like

Re: My Journey Through Academics (bsc. Msc. Ph.d) by Juliearth(f): 12:16pm On Apr 10, 2022
Damscodammy1:
Sir how come abt ur name.3 diff tribe.

Poetic way of depicting unity in diversity.

Weldone, op. Its sad to say that towing the path of academics in this country is frustrating. From my experience, I would not advise anybody to tow this path in the country unless if it is the last and only resort. If possible sign up for PhD abroad. Know this and know peace.

2 Likes

Re: My Journey Through Academics (bsc. Msc. Ph.d) by YourFavorite21(m): 12:20pm On Apr 10, 2022
Congratulations bro, but if I manage and finish this one that I'm currently studying, na to go open shop for Onitsha main market grin grin
I will make money first before my second degree or M. sc

1 Like

Re: My Journey Through Academics (bsc. Msc. Ph.d) by dahmie2013: 12:27pm On Apr 10, 2022
Paulheyman:

BSc. Industrial chemistry
MSc. Organic Chemistry
Ph.D. Analytical chemistry
Lovely...Congratulations once again.

1 Like

Re: My Journey Through Academics (bsc. Msc. Ph.d) by piagetskinner(m): 12:28pm On Apr 10, 2022
Hope say you don de work for tech or oil company..?

Money no de lecturing for Nigeria o.. na suffering and smiling.

1 Like

Re: My Journey Through Academics (bsc. Msc. Ph.d) by OBA117(m): 12:28pm On Apr 10, 2022
Congratulations. I am inspired.

1 Like

Re: My Journey Through Academics (bsc. Msc. Ph.d) by Connected1: 12:35pm On Apr 10, 2022
Nice

But it's a Fiction and you dare not deny it.

At the moment we don't educational motivation, we need political motivation to discourage political apathy, so many things have to be undone.
Re: My Journey Through Academics (bsc. Msc. Ph.d) by Paulheyman: 12:40pm On Apr 10, 2022
YourFavorite21:
Congratulations bro, but if I manage and finish this one that I'm currently studying, na to go open shop for Onitsha main market grin grin
I will make money first before my second degree or M. sc

That's beautiful
My people will say "even if every other thing fails you, your certificate will never fail you". One day your MSc will bless you. Keep moving forward

5 Likes

Re: My Journey Through Academics (bsc. Msc. Ph.d) by Paulheyman: 12:44pm On Apr 10, 2022
Connected1:
Nice

But it's a Fiction and you dare not deny it.

At the moment we don't educational motivation, we need political motivation to discourage political apathy, so many things have to be undone.

For they to be growth and development the "pen must be mightier than the sword" any country that the reverse is true will never live above poverty line
Re: My Journey Through Academics (bsc. Msc. Ph.d) by Paulheyman: 12:46pm On Apr 10, 2022
piagetskinner:
Hope say you don de work for tech or oil company..?

Money no de lecturing for Nigeria o.. na suffering and smiling.

We all have to follow our passion. Money is good yes it is but fulfilment is the best

1 Like

Re: My Journey Through Academics (bsc. Msc. Ph.d) by Paulheyman: 12:52pm On Apr 10, 2022
Juliearth:

Poetic way of depicting unity in diversity

Weldone, op. Its sad to say that towing the path of academics in this country is frustrating. From my experience, I would not advise anybody to tow this path in the country unless if it is the last and only resort. If possible sign up for PhD abroad. Know this and know peace.

The key is passion. I am passionate about academics. I love to teach. Even if I become Elon musk without PhD I will still feel empty. I followed my passion, I am certain that one day the passion if it doesn't bring money it will bring fame and the fame will certainly bring money. But for now money isn't a priority. My happiness and fulfilment comes first.

Don't forget the university is an ocean of opportunities

2 Likes

Re: My Journey Through Academics (bsc. Msc. Ph.d) by Ebenezer4141(m): 12:57pm On Apr 10, 2022
javaguru:
why do I have the feeling that this is all a lie undecided your name has 4 tribe name, I would like to know your course, the your actual year of graduation, and school.

am not disputing the fact that 1 can't achieve such height b4 30, but this ur story no clear,

you just ended up telling us the challenges of a sickler.

If the article is not enough to encourage you, kindly look for a different thread. undecided
Re: My Journey Through Academics (bsc. Msc. Ph.d) by Connected1: 1:18pm On Apr 10, 2022
Paulheyman:

For they to be growth and development the "pen must be mightier than the sword" any country that the reverse is true will never live above poverty line
Not True.

Not many countries has more graduates than us, yet many do not participate in elections but the uneducated ones from the North East and North West vote because they know the importance.

How many educated Nigerians know that voting matters alot in deciding a leader, they believe everything is rigged, these things are not taught in the University.

So I would say we have the pen but we do not know its Might.
Re: My Journey Through Academics (bsc. Msc. Ph.d) by premierlead: 1:31pm On Apr 10, 2022
Paulheyman:

The key is passion. I am passionate about academics. I love to teach. Even if I become Elon musk without PhD I will still feel empty. I followed my passion, I am certain that one day the passion if it doesn't bring money it will bring fame and the fame will certainly bring money. But for now money isn't a priority. My happiness and fulfilment comes first.

Don't forget the university is an ocean of opportunities

This your quotation "university is an ocean of opportunities" is what I so much like. It is true that if someone does not have the money from inception, let him collect the form and get the admission first, and for the fact that he is inside the campus, then he should be able to see something that he can be doing inside the campus especially during masters program as first degree might be too tedious. I know of many even when they don't have shops inside school some go to the extent of being a middle sales man, or intermediary between clients and shop owner and from there rake in money to get there own personal space or start new life outside school immediately after the program. Though school differs but all in all, university is an ocean of opportunities.

2 Likes

Re: My Journey Through Academics (bsc. Msc. Ph.d) by Roseey0(f): 1:37pm On Apr 10, 2022
I wish I used the 4yrs of my BSC to train as dibia cry

Goodluck to those of you that love book

2 Likes

Re: My Journey Through Academics (bsc. Msc. Ph.d) by ayenale1(m): 2:05pm On Apr 10, 2022
Ur name alone is Nigeria...omo your parents try o...
Re: My Journey Through Academics (bsc. Msc. Ph.d) by ajl: 2:07pm On Apr 10, 2022
Mister, where in the world do you complete a PhD in 3 years? Just curious because even in foreign universities, on average it take 4 years and above. And I know that in Nigeria with all the chaos in the system, it often take much longer. What course or program was this?
Re: My Journey Through Academics (bsc. Msc. Ph.d) by ajl: 2:09pm On Apr 10, 2022
javaguru:
why do I have the feeling that this is all a lie undecided your name has 4 tribe name, I would like to know your course, the your actual year of graduation, and school.

am not disputing the fact that 1 can't achieve such height b4 30, but this ur story no clear,

you just ended up telling us the challenges of a sickler.

And he complete "almighty" PhD in 3 years. He must be a genius.
Re: My Journey Through Academics (bsc. Msc. Ph.d) by JB4life: 2:09pm On Apr 10, 2022
Paulheyman:
My Journey through academics (Bsc. MSc. Ph.D)

NOTE: I am writing this article to inspire young Nigerians/Africans who have flair for academics.

My name is Emeka Ekanem Muyiwa Kyari and I was born a sickle cell patient. At the age of seven, I developed passion for teaching, my love for teaching was born out of my urge to know more. I was passionate about learning. Though, my maternal grandfather was a headmaster, I dreamt of becoming a Professor someday. My greatest weakness was my health, my greatest strength was my friends and family.

Naturally I was born "maybe" intelligent but those who are familiar with sickle cell crisis knows that at certain age the crisis becomes increasingly recurrent and this was the greatest set back I had during my BSc. because it affected my CGPA (3.39/5). Except for my second semester 4th year, I couldn't write a single quiz/test during my BSc. even the exams I wrote from my sick bed.

During my NYSC I was posted to Akwa Ibom State (I love Akwa Ibom). I am a lone wolf, I function better alone. I had a dream which is getting MSc. and staying back in Akwa Ibom would hinder that dream. My little alawee can't sustain my stay in Akwa Ibom State moreover we all thought that the state paid #16k but during camping we discovered they paid #6k so I had to redeploy to my state where they paid #5k/month. I was able to save up enough fund by living with my parents, in fact I saved everything I was paid just so that I could start my MSc.

After the NYSC I enrolled for my MSc. in Nnamdi Azikiwe university (NAU). I was once again faced with my greatest fear which was my health. I had crisis multiple times, even during my exams. As my savings was gradually depleting, I took a job that paid me #3500; funny thing is that my present office actually closed the school down. Then, I took another job that paid #7500, then, another that paid #15000 before getting employed by the state civil service. My MSc. delayed but I later got it at the 4th year, CGPA (4.06/5). My MSc. was a battle fought in love and on grace. The universe was kind to me and I survived the journey. My worst experience was the day I took pain killer injections at Eastern mass transit park in awka (terrible).

Then, came the PhD. The challenges where enormous, my fear were still there but the crisis wasn't recurrent as before. Again love, grace, humility and perseverance saw me through. The PhD came within 3 years. CGPA (5/5). I finished my PhD at 30 years

My Advice to young Academia's
1) To succeed in academics requires perseverance and love of what you're doing.
2) Keep your circle of friends tiny as possible. If possible be an island.
3) The dissuading voices are there to motivate you. Use them, let them penetrate you. My "guy" told me it was impossible to finish PhD in three years but I did
4) Don't wait to have enough fund to start your postgraduate journey. The university is an ocean of opportunities. You'll get enough fund to see you through your study.
5) Avoid any relationship that will lead to spending money. Minimize your expenditure
6) You must create time for leisure but ensure it won't cost you much money.
7) Your supervisor should be your best friend, they've what it takes to progress your research.
cool Join many groups on Facebook based on your research interest, follow people on Twitter who share similar research interest with you. Don't forget to always ask questions. In fact form the habit of questioning everything
9) Chose your area of specialization and research interest based solely on your passion. When you're passionate about a research findings it makes it easier to progress. Be guided!!!
10) Equip yourself with so much knowledge during your PhD, don't leave PhD empty, your PhD knowledge will prepare you and skyrocket you to greatness. During my PhD I learnt how to use so many software such as Autodock, Autodock vina, NAMD, SPSS, pyrx, pymol, Discovery studio, Avogadro, Sigmaplot, Datawarrior etc and all was fun. I had friends on Facebook (non Nigerians) to teach and guide me through each software

Conclusion
Though I am not a professor yet, but I believe that at the appropriate time I will. I made it this far, I know that everyone else will. School is fun not scam. One day I know that my certificates will fetch me greatness because I don't just wanna be a salary earner I want to be remembered for my contribution to knowledge.

My name is E.E.M Kyari BSc., PGDE, MSc., PhD

Very inspiring.
Thanks be to God

1 Like

Re: My Journey Through Academics (bsc. Msc. Ph.d) by GGirll: 2:19pm On Apr 10, 2022
Paulheyman:

NOTE: I am writing this article to inspire young Nigerians/Africans who have flair for academics.

My name is Emeka Ekanem Muyiwa Kyari and I was born a sickle cell patient. At the age of seven, I developed passion for teaching, my love for teaching was born out of my urge to know more. I was passionate about learning. Though, my maternal grandfather was a headmaster, I dreamt of becoming a Professor someday. My greatest weakness was my health, my greatest strength was my friends and family.

Naturally I was born "maybe" intelligent but those who are familiar with sickle cell crisis knows that at certain age the crisis becomes increasingly recurrent and this was the greatest set back I had during my BSc. because it affected my CGPA (3.39/5). Except for my second semester 4th year, I couldn't write a single quiz/test during my BSc. even the exams I wrote from my sick bed.

During my NYSC I was posted to Akwa Ibom State (I love Akwa Ibom). I am a lone wolf, I function better alone. I had a dream which is getting MSc. and staying back in Akwa Ibom would hinder that dream. My little alawee can't sustain my stay in Akwa Ibom State moreover we all thought that the state paid #16k but during camping we discovered they paid #6k so I had to redeploy to my state where they paid #5k/month. I was able to save up enough fund by living with my parents, in fact I saved everything I was paid just so that I could start my MSc.

After the NYSC I enrolled for my MSc. in Nnamdi Azikiwe university (NAU). I was once again faced with my greatest fear which was my health. I had crisis multiple times, even during my exams. As my savings was gradually depleting, I took a job that paid me #3500; funny thing is that my present office actually closed the school down. Then, I took another job that paid #7500, then, another that paid #15000 before getting employed by the state civil service. My MSc. delayed but I later got it at the 4th year, CGPA (4.06/5). My MSc. was a battle fought in love and on grace. The universe was kind to me and I survived the journey. My worst experience was the day I took pain killer injections at Eastern mass transit park in awka (terrible).

Then, came the PhD. The challenges where enormous, my fear were still there but the crisis wasn't recurrent as before. Again love, grace, humility and perseverance saw me through. The PhD came within 3 years. CGPA (5/5). I finished my PhD at 30 years

My Advice to young Academia's
1) To succeed in academics requires perseverance and love of what you're doing.
2) Keep your circle of friends tiny as possible. If possible be an island.
3) The dissuading voices are there to motivate you. Use them, let them penetrate you. My "guy" told me it was impossible to finish PhD in three years but I did
4) Don't wait to have enough fund to start your postgraduate journey. The university is an ocean of opportunities. You'll get enough fund to see you through your study.
5) Avoid any relationship that will lead to spending money. Minimize your expenditure
6) You must create time for leisure but ensure it won't cost you much money.
7) Your supervisor should be your best friend, they've what it takes to progress your research.
cool Join many groups on Facebook based on your research interest, follow people on Twitter who share similar research interest with you. Don't forget to always ask questions. In fact form the habit of questioning everything
9) Chose your area of specialization and research interest based solely on your passion. When you're passionate about a research findings it makes it easier to progress. Be guided!!!
10) Equip yourself with so much knowledge during your PhD, don't leave PhD empty, your PhD knowledge will prepare you and skyrocket you to greatness. During my PhD I learnt how to use so many software such as Autodock, Autodock vina, NAMD, SPSS, pyrx, pymol, Discovery studio, Avogadro, Sigmaplot, Datawarrior etc and all was fun. I had friends on Facebook (non Nigerians) to teach and guide me through each software

Conclusion
Though I am not a professor yet, but I believe that at the appropriate time I will. I made it this far, I know that everyone else will. School is fun not scam. One day I know that my certificates will fetch me greatness because I don't just wanna be a salary earner I want to be remembered for my contribution to knowledge.

Congratulations dear, the sky is just the beginning for you. Pls can I have your contact?

1 Like

Re: My Journey Through Academics (bsc. Msc. Ph.d) by Paulheyman: 2:58pm On Apr 10, 2022
ajl:
Mister, where in the world do you complete a PhD in 3 years? Just curious because even in foreign universities, on average it take 4 years and above. And I know that in Nigeria with all the chaos in the system, it often take much longer. What course or program was this?

A PhD is a minimum of 3 years, so it's very much possible.

On Nigerian University: If my story was that of someone who finished PhD in 12 years some would have had reasons to rain abuses on our lecturers and the university system as a whole but now the system worked, nobody wants to appreciate the efforts made by our Professors.

Conclusion: Systematic believe in impossibilities hinders our ability to identify opportunities

3 Likes

Re: My Journey Through Academics (bsc. Msc. Ph.d) by amaben2020(m): 3:18pm On Apr 10, 2022
Paulheyman:

BSc. Industrial chemistry
MSc. Organic Chemistry
PhD. Analytical chemistry

Pretty impressive

1 Like

Re: My Journey Through Academics (bsc. Msc. Ph.d) by stanisbaratheon: 3:49pm On Apr 10, 2022
Very good.
Re: My Journey Through Academics (bsc. Msc. Ph.d) by twosquare(m): 4:13pm On Apr 10, 2022
grin grin
Roseey0:
I wish I used the 4yrs of my BSC to train as dibia cry

Goodluck to those of you that love book
Re: My Journey Through Academics (bsc. Msc. Ph.d) by twosquare(m): 4:17pm On Apr 10, 2022
It is actually 3 years, except in certain countries like the USA that takes 4 - 6 years. It depends on the discipline. While in Uk, it takes 3 years, and at worst 4...but 3 mostly...it is 6 semesters.

I have seen someone finish in 2.5. But you must be really regimented.
ajl:

2 Likes

Re: My Journey Through Academics (bsc. Msc. Ph.d) by Aaay: 4:33pm On Apr 10, 2022
Really
Re: My Journey Through Academics (bsc. Msc. Ph.d) by semmyk(m): 7:12pm On Apr 10, 2022
Congrat. @bolded underlined: let the publication commence and grow with impact (orcid, Google Scholar...). Whilst at it (publish or perish), beware of predatory journals

Paulheyman:
My name is Emeka Ekanem Muyiwa Kyari and I was born a sickle cell patient. At the age of seven, I developed passion for teaching, my love for teaching was born out of my urge to know more. I was passionate about learning.
Conclusion

2 Likes

Re: My Journey Through Academics (bsc. Msc. Ph.d) by Paulheyman: 8:24pm On Apr 10, 2022
semmyk:
Congrat. @bolded underlined: let the publication commence and grow with impact (orcid, Google Scholar...). Whilst at it (publish or perish), beware of predatory journals

I am making plans towards that already. Hopefully I will be publishing most of my works in Scopus indexed journal, Thompson Reuters etc.

Thank you. I am grateful for the kind words
Re: My Journey Through Academics (bsc. Msc. Ph.d) by javaguru: 9:14pm On Apr 10, 2022
ajl:

And he complete "almighty" PhD in 3 years. He must be a genius.
haba e too dey obvious
Re: My Journey Through Academics (bsc. Msc. Ph.d) by Paulheyman: 12:48am On Apr 11, 2022
There was a time I doubted peoples success stories, success to me was an illusion, I felt something's were practically impossible. I always made excuses were there isn't need for one. To me then sickle cell was the reason I attached to most of my failures. Everything changed when I met my supervisor, he gave me work and more works to do. Funny thing is all the activities he assigned to me was meant to build me. Each stage I conquered I felt more accomplished and fulfilled. I acknowledge they exist millions far better than me that's why I must keep moving forward knowing that one day I will get there. To grow I had to acknowledge that everything is possible and I tasked myself to quit giving excuses, started taking responsibility for my mistakes and worked towards correcting them. Most importantly I accepted who I am, had my routine drugs near me always and adhere strictly to the Dr instructions, attends clinic often and contribute towards awareness creation. That makes me happy

1 Like

Re: My Journey Through Academics (bsc. Msc. Ph.d) by oshorstan(f): 8:12am On Apr 11, 2022
Paulheyman:

The university is an ocean of opportunities. Explore your institution. Opportunities are there waiting for you. You need to be humble and stay humble

Thanks for the update.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Longest Notes In Secondary School? / ESUT Lecturer Punishes Students For Making Noise While He Was Making Call / 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.