Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,657 members, 7,813,213 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:47 AM

Why Do You Feel Better When You Listen To Sad Music? - Music/Radio (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Why Do You Feel Better When You Listen To Sad Music? (10851 Views)

What's One Song That When You Listen To Pumps Your Mood / When Last Did You Listen To Radio. / When Last Did You Listen To Radio ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do You Feel Better When You Listen To Sad Music? by exsodus: 3:15pm On Apr 12, 2022
What do you classify as a sad music?
Re: Why Do You Feel Better When You Listen To Sad Music? by BarrElChapo(m): 3:22pm On Apr 12, 2022
Cos sadness is better than happiness undecided
Re: Why Do You Feel Better When You Listen To Sad Music? by Johel(m): 3:41pm On Apr 12, 2022
Soundz01:
The benefits of melancholic art for coping are scientifically proven.

Reba McEntire, a country music singer, claimed in a 2018 tweet that singing sorrowful songs "has a way of healing a situation" for her. It brings the pain into the open, into the sunshine, and out of the shadows."
McEntire's statements touch on a paradox that has been dubbed "one of the most intriguing topics in the history of music scholarship" by psychologists. Why do people like sad music, for example? Many of the world's most popular songs, from Beethoven to the Beatles, are sad. People have a specific fondness for sad movies, mournful books, and other types of melancholy artistic expression, and this tendency is not limited to music.

But why is that? According to studies on what some scholars refer to as "pleasurable sadness," people love sad art for a variety of reasons. "Feelings of being moved or touched have been highlighted in several recent research," says Jonna Vuoskoski, an associate professor in the Department of Musicology at the University of Oslo in Norway.

According to some of Vuoskoski's findings, those with high degrees of empathy are the most moved by sad music or films, and that this emotion is linked to greater enjoyment. "It appears that elements of empathy connected to sentiments of compassion and strong identification with fictitious characters in novels and films are the greatest predictors of sad music appreciation," she says.

Somber music and other kinds of art, she discovered, generate emotions that many people regard as delightful, in addition to their potential to move people. "Nostalgia, peace, and wonder were also clearly obvious" in response to sad art, and many individuals like these emotions, she and her study colleagues said.

You want to keep yourself update with latest music? Check out 13stream

Another view is that a person's sorrow can be alleviated by experiencing something sorrowful. The musical preferences of patients diagnosed with severe depressive illness were investigated in a 2019 study from the University of South Florida. It's commonly known that depressed people gravitate toward "sad stimuli," such as music, according to the authors. According to some experts, this is a type of maladaptive attraction that maintains or intensifies people's feelings of sadness. The USF team, on the other hand, was not convinced by this theory. "Rather than any desire to create or maintain sad sensations, the significant appeal of sad music to persons with [depression] may be connected to its calming benefits," they stated.

"A piece of art or a song that a person may relate to can bring solace without the added burden of social interaction with another person."

Others who examine the appeal of sad music claim that listening to it might help people cope with sadness and loss. "We have built-in psychological, hormonal, and physiological systems that help dealing with [these feelings]," says Tuomas Eerola, a music cognition professor at Durham University in the United Kingdom, adding that music stimulates these systems.

While chatting to a well-intentioned friend or family member might bring consolation and a shoulder to weep on, Eerola believes that listening to a break-up music can provide a deeper level of relief. "In moments of loss and despair, the fact that the music or art is non-interactive is actually an advantage since there is no judgment, no questioning." A piece of art or a song that a person may relate to can bring solace without the baggage of social interaction."

Another possible explanation for the attractiveness of sad art was investigated in a 2011 study with the title "Let it Be," which was inspired by the Beatles song. The study looked on the process of accepting negative feelings rather than ignoring or suppressing them. The study's authors concluded, "Somewhat paradoxically, avoiding negative emotional experiences may be associated with negative outcomes whereas accepting negative emotional experiences may be related with favorable outcomes." Their findings back up the theory that watching sad movies or listening to sad music can be a type of therapeutic acceptance for some people.

If a tragic song, film, or other work of art holds a special place in a person's heart, it may bring a unique form of catharsis. "There have been several studies demonstrating how specific individually meaningful pieces of music have brought comfort and peace in situations involving unpleasant emotions," Eerola explains.

Sad songs, novels, and films, rather than extending grief, appear to provide relief and pleasure — and perhaps even a stronger sense of emotional connection to other people. Who couldn't use a little more of that?

Credit: 13Stream

I really don't know,but when I listen to sad music while sad,I feel much better because I feel like the singer is singing to me directly to enable me feel better....Juice wrld, drake, coldplay and some cold rock does it for me, atimes heavy metals like Fleshgod Apocalypse help me during my sad moments too.

1 Like

Re: Why Do You Feel Better When You Listen To Sad Music? by Johel(m): 3:42pm On Apr 12, 2022
inoki247:
lol which one be sad music again you mean suicidal music undecided undecided

Go back your village.
Re: Why Do You Feel Better When You Listen To Sad Music? by IDnoble1: 3:59pm On Apr 12, 2022
Lagosianswag:
I don't like "sad" music undecided It either creeps me out or send me to sleep lipsrsealed
That's the reason I don't fancy some of Adele's music or Juice Wrld even though they've been one of the most popular musicians of the recent decade.
I'd rather listen to some soothing ambient music from Artistes like Brian Eno, Enya, Moby, David Byrne, Enigma etc... cool

Music is Life!

What is a sad music usually about? Loss or death or how?
Re: Why Do You Feel Better When You Listen To Sad Music? by pseudonomer: 4:01pm On Apr 12, 2022
Soundz01:

Reba McEntire, a country music singer, claimed in a 2018 tweet that singing sorrowful songs "has a way of healing a situation" for her. It brings the pain into the open, into the sunshine, and out of the shadows."
McEntire's statements touch on a paradox that has been dubbed "one of the most intriguing topics in the history of music scholarship" by psychologists. Why do people like sad music, for example? Many of the world's most popular songs, from Beethoven to the Beatles, are sad. People have a specific fondness for sad movies, mournful books, and other types of melancholy artistic expression, and this tendency is not limited to music.

But why is that? According to studies on what some scholars refer to as "pleasurable sadness," people love sad art for a variety of reasons. "Feelings of being moved or touched have been highlighted in several recent research," says Jonna Vuoskoski, an associate professor in the Department of Musicology at the University of Oslo in Norway.

According to some of Vuoskoski's findings, those with high degrees of empathy are the most moved by sad music or films, and that this emotion is linked to greater enjoyment. "It appears that elements of empathy connected to sentiments of compassion and strong identification with fictitious characters in novels and films are the greatest predictors of sad music appreciation," she says.

Somber music and other kinds of art, she discovered, generate emotions that many people regard as delightful, in addition to their potential to move people. "Nostalgia, peace, and wonder were also clearly obvious" in response to sad art, and many individuals like these emotions, she and her study colleagues said.

Another view is that a person's sorrow can be alleviated by experiencing something sorrowful. The musical preferences of patients diagnosed with severe depressive illness were investigated in a 2019 study from the University of South Florida. It's commonly known that depressed people gravitate toward "sad stimuli," such as music, according to the authors. According to some experts, this is a type of maladaptive attraction that maintains or intensifies people's feelings of sadness. The USF team, on the other hand, was not convinced by this theory. "Rather than any desire to create or maintain sad sensations, the significant appeal of sad music to persons with [depression] may be connected to its calming benefits," they stated.

"A piece of art or a song that a person may relate to can bring solace without the added burden of social interaction with another person."

Others who examine the appeal of sad music claim that listening to it might help people cope with sadness and loss. "We have built-in psychological, hormonal, and physiological systems that help dealing with [these feelings]," says Tuomas Eerola, a music cognition professor at Durham University in the United Kingdom, adding that music stimulates these systems.

While chatting to a well-intentioned friend or family member might bring consolation and a shoulder to weep on, Eerola believes that listening to a break-up music can provide a deeper level of relief. "In moments of loss and despair, the fact that the music or art is non-interactive is actually an advantage since there is no judgment, no questioning." A piece of art or a song that a person may relate to can bring solace without the baggage of social interaction."

Another possible explanation for the attractiveness of sad art was investigated in a 2011 study with the title "Let it Be," which was inspired by the Beatles song. The study looked on the process of accepting negative feelings rather than ignoring or suppressing them. The study's authors concluded, "Somewhat paradoxically, avoiding negative emotional experiences may be associated with negative outcomes whereas accepting negative emotional experiences may be related with favorable outcomes." Their findings back up the theory that watching sad movies or listening to sad music can be a type of therapeutic acceptance for some people.

If a tragic song, film, or other work of art holds a special place in a person's heart, it may bring a unique form of catharsis. "There have been several studies demonstrating how specific individually meaningful pieces of music have brought comfort and peace in situations involving unpleasant emotions," Eerola explains.

Sad songs, novels, and films, rather than extending grief, appear to provide relief and pleasure — and perhaps even a stronger sense of emotional connection to other people. Who couldn't use a little more of that?

It doesn’t make me feel better, it makes me feel
more sad in a way that I start to enjoy being sad.

If I want to be happy, I will listen to Afrobeats…
Re: Why Do You Feel Better When You Listen To Sad Music? by TheWolfen(m): 4:06pm On Apr 12, 2022
It depends on some factors
Re: Why Do You Feel Better When You Listen To Sad Music? by Bbbw: 4:27pm On Apr 12, 2022
How
Re: Why Do You Feel Better When You Listen To Sad Music? by maximizer61(m): 4:41pm On Apr 12, 2022
haybhi1:

Most interesting Juice Wrld songs.
number one for sad music and it affected him

1 Like

Re: Why Do You Feel Better When You Listen To Sad Music? by maximizer61(m): 4:46pm On Apr 12, 2022
exsodus:
go listen to juice wrld songs, anything sadness ranging from heartbreak, depression, bad friends, drugs

1 Like

Re: Why Do You Feel Better When You Listen To Sad Music? by Nobody: 5:34pm On Apr 12, 2022
Szilard:

Bro

You're so on point

Faith is also one of my faves from After hours

Juice Wrld is good too!, Too bad he left too early.

Xotwod bro cool
xotwod!! cool

1 Like

Re: Why Do You Feel Better When You Listen To Sad Music? by Iphesure212(m): 5:48pm On Apr 12, 2022
Szilard:
Sad (Melancholic) music is really therapeutic for me

Damn

A lot of peeps don't really understand how powerful dark vibes are...

And my number source for melancholia is "The Weeknd"

Damn... I love that guy sooo much

Only a few popular figures do I love like "The Weeknd"

Maybe Messi, Michael Jackson and Elon Musk.

I don't refer to myself as a redpiler but honestly dark music has put my emotions in perspective and I behave like a fvcking alpha grin

Wetin I dey type sef grin grin
You are an evolved specie brother just like me. Stay Meek always

1 Like

Re: Why Do You Feel Better When You Listen To Sad Music? by samtoolz(m): 5:56pm On Apr 12, 2022
I personally am a sucker for ballads
Siri play me Eric Clapton’s tears in heaven
Re: Why Do You Feel Better When You Listen To Sad Music? by odaniel1(m): 5:59pm On Apr 12, 2022
Simple. Mystery loves company..
Re: Why Do You Feel Better When You Listen To Sad Music? by bolagabriella: 6:16pm On Apr 12, 2022
It makes me crying. As the tear drops, i feel the melancholia dropping also. At the end of 30 min to 1 hour, i feel wonderfully light and rendy to move on with life.
Re: Why Do You Feel Better When You Listen To Sad Music? by Aimerosa25(f): 7:43pm On Apr 12, 2022
When sad you listen to sad songs, it feels as if your pain is nothing compared to that of the singer, Juice wrld for me any day, anytime.
Re: Why Do You Feel Better When You Listen To Sad Music? by Aimerosa25(f): 7:44pm On Apr 12, 2022
exsodus:
Listen to juice wrld.
Re: Why Do You Feel Better When You Listen To Sad Music? by Perfectbeing(m): 8:03pm On Apr 12, 2022
The vibe I get from music is the same vibe I get when I lace my shoe.. No vibe at all.

I'm not a fan of music.
Re: Why Do You Feel Better When You Listen To Sad Music? by Bnaira77(m): 8:55pm On Apr 12, 2022
Lol
Re: Why Do You Feel Better When You Listen To Sad Music? by Oyo17: 9:22pm On Apr 12, 2022
Listen to Juice Wrld
Re: Why Do You Feel Better When You Listen To Sad Music? by Soundz01(m): 10:48pm On Apr 12, 2022
What you think fascinating when it come to sad music?
Soundz01:

Re: Why Do You Feel Better When You Listen To Sad Music? by mdokaba1(m): 11:26pm On Apr 12, 2022
Yanni does it for me.
Re: Why Do You Feel Better When You Listen To Sad Music? by adedolapoololade(m): 12:02am On Apr 13, 2022
Listen to Juicewrld,you gonna forget all your sorrows
Re: Why Do You Feel Better When You Listen To Sad Music? by bigbossila: 2:01am On Apr 13, 2022
I get u, but this kind of topics is not for Nigerians. Believe me
Re: Why Do You Feel Better When You Listen To Sad Music? by tafat: 6:57am On Apr 13, 2022
I totally have no idea, but I think it has to do with the type of music sha, some can be really suiting especially when the music is coming from the Oraimo Freepod pro that has a sound output to die for.
Re: Why Do You Feel Better When You Listen To Sad Music? by VirileNelly2420: 7:52am On Apr 13, 2022
mariovito:
Misery loves company!
Lol... I remember back den in school. It was believed dat "carryovers" dey sweat wen una plenty get am.
Re: Why Do You Feel Better When You Listen To Sad Music? by VirileNelly2420: 7:57am On Apr 13, 2022
Chuvin22:
Helps me have a coordinated thoughts process.
Billie Eillish's songs are my favorites.
Ouch, I just started liking her.
"Everything I've eva wanted..." is one of my favorites.

1 Like

Re: Why Do You Feel Better When You Listen To Sad Music? by mariovito(m): 8:38am On Apr 13, 2022
grin grin grin

You understand....

Make e for nor be like say na you olodo pass.

So if you dey tell people say you get carryover, e go be like say na the lecturer winchi everybody.

VirileNelly2420:

Lol... I remember back den in school. It was believed dat "carryovers" dey sweat wen una plenty get am.
Re: Why Do You Feel Better When You Listen To Sad Music? by Soundz01(m): 8:38am On Apr 13, 2022
It's all about the calm feel.
Soundz01:

[size=15pt]You want to keep yourself update with latest music? Check out 13stream[/size]

Re: Why Do You Feel Better When You Listen To Sad Music? by VirileNelly2420: 8:52am On Apr 13, 2022
mariovito:
grin grin grin

You understand....

Make e for nor be like say na you olodo pass.

So if you dey tell people say you get carryover, e go be like say na the lecturer winchi everybody.

Lol... Naso naa
Re: Why Do You Feel Better When You Listen To Sad Music? by Soundz01(m): 11:53pm On Apr 13, 2022
The fact that it divert your sad mood to the music - feels you good
Soundz01:

Re: Why Do You Feel Better When You Listen To Sad Music? by Soundz01(m): 4:06pm On Apr 14, 2022
Soundz01:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Skales In A Ghastly Motor Accident. / Lyrics To Somebody Wants To Die! Feat Ice Prince / Maleek Berry Ft Wizkid & Phenom - New Bounce

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.