Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,267 members, 7,818,924 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:11 AM

Legal Advice Needed - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Legal Advice Needed (614 Views)

Please I Need Legal Advice Concerning Divorce As The Respondent / Legal Advice Needed Please / My Wife Is Adulterous: Advice Needed-long Post (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Legal Advice Needed by voizofone: 11:20pm On Apr 11, 2022
Please house, I need an advice concerning my younger brother, he got married traditionally and also did his church wedding.

But along the line, his wife pressured him to also register the marriage in the court and he obliged, the union is about six years though there is no issue, they have been having issues which lead to him taken the wife to his parents house, they have been trying to settle ever since then to no avail.

Now he has married a new wife and the ex wife's father dragged him to court, now I want to ask, what is the implications of marrying a new wife without through court and also how can he handle the matter.

Thanks in advance for your contribution and advice

2 Likes

Re: Legal Advice Needed by DoctorOlasDesk: 11:28pm On Apr 11, 2022
Allow him resolve his shit. If he can put a woman in a home, he should know how to organize it. That aside,you don't remarry without annnulling an unresolved legal union. What is your brother thinking?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Legal Advice Needed by Babaken(m): 11:30pm On Apr 11, 2022
Traditional wedding, church wedding plus ➕ court wedding on top one woman haba na Dangote daughter.
My brother keek searching for legal advice in this case I can offer illegal advice.

1 Like

Re: Legal Advice Needed by SUPERPACK: 1:29am On Apr 12, 2022
It is called Bigamy in law court. In the eyes of the law he is married to only the first wife and the second wife is just an impostor or trespasser. All marriages done by a court must be legally separated in court before taking a new wife or husband.

According to Nigerian criminal code section 370; Any person who, having a husband or wife living, marries in any case in which such marriage is void by reason of its taking place during the life of such husband or wife, is guilty of a felony and is liable to imprisonment for seven years.  

You will ask; but people do have more than one wife without issues in Nigeria? This is because polygamy is allowed when a marriage is done traditionally. But once you wed in court you can't go around it by marrying traditionally.

He would have done a divorce before going into his new marriage, but now he has neglected his lawful marriage it becomes even harder to obtain a divorce.

The implication here is that if she is able to prove it without doubt that she is legally still married to her husband in court, that his new marriage will be declared null and void in the eyes of the law. This simply means she can't present herself as his wife in any embassy or for any situation that requires being married. She can't get any benefits made for married women too.

4 Likes

Re: Legal Advice Needed by Kobojunkie: 4:24am On Apr 12, 2022
voizofone:
But along the line, his wife pressured him to also register the marriage in the court and he obliged, the union is about six years though there is no issue, they have been having issues which lead to him taken the wife to his parents house, they have been trying to settle ever since then to no avail.
Now he has married a new wife and the ex wife's father dragged him to court, now I want to ask, what is the implications of marrying a new wife without through court and also how can he handle the matter.
Your brother married a new wife, let me guess, without consulting his first wife? undecided

What a smart woman she is. undecided

This is a lesson of sorts to women out there. If you are not making sure your marriage is registered, one day you may find yourself railroaded after many years of struggle thinking all the while you were married to a human being. undecided

Women, it is 2022, get your marriages registered in the courts and don't get railroaded by traditional bullsheet! undecided

5 Likes

Re: Legal Advice Needed by voizofone: 9:40am On Apr 12, 2022
So according to you, smart woman, marrying by the law gives you the legal rights to kill your spouse? Or to chase away all the members of your spouse family claiming your territory? Does that law mean that you will have no menner? Or does it mean that you will pack all the money in the business claiming that you are saving it for him or her and the person goes aborting, paying interest while you misuse the money buying luxuries in life? Does it give you the right not to do anything in the home claiming first man or firstlady? Do you even know what you are claiming
Re: Legal Advice Needed by DoctorOlasDesk: 9:45am On Apr 12, 2022
voizofone:
So according to you, smart woman, marrying by the law gives you the legal rights to kill your spouse? Or to chase away all the members of your spouse family claiming your territory? Does that law mean that you will have no menner? Or does it mean that you will pack all the money in the business claiming that you are saving it for him or her and the person goes aborting, paying interest while you misuse the money buying luxuries in life? Does it give you the right not to do anything in the home claiming first man or firstlady? Do you even know what you are claiming

Claiming uprightness has never won any law suit. You came seeking counsel,ended up projecting the same self righteous conjectures as your brother.

The woman has him by the balls. And if you don't want to see him regret, you better do the needful and face the oresent reality without your self deceiving thesis

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Legal Advice Needed by Eketem: 11:21am On Apr 12, 2022
The implication is your brother committed bigamy and may go to jail.

It seems your family is neck deep into your brother's marriage, just pray she doesn't bring I'm parts of the VAPP law into the case because family members who aid and abiet in harassing a spouse will also go to jail.

Next time let a couple sit and reason together for a way forward instead or divorce if they can't agree.

1 Like

Re: Legal Advice Needed by Gentlerespect76: 11:42am On Apr 12, 2022
voizofone:
Please house, I need an advice concerning my younger brother, he got married traditionally and also did his church wedding.

Thanks in advance for your contribution and advice

What the woman and her parents feared, has befallen them. Now it's left for your brother to bear the consequences of this action or extricate himself.

(1) (Reply)

Advice Needed / What Could She Be Scared Of? / Pls A Kind Hearted Nairalander Should Help Me Get Driver's License

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.