Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,818,009 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:46 AM

Please I Need Legal Advice Concerning Divorce As The Respondent - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Please I Need Legal Advice Concerning Divorce As The Respondent (2781 Views)

Man Files For Divorce As DNA Reveals His 'lookalike' Children Aren't His (photo) / Should I Take Custody After Divorce As A Man / I Need A Strong Advice Concerning My Sister Who Maltreated My Wife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please I Need Legal Advice Concerning Divorce As The Respondent by 5yearsOldtechki: 3:50pm On Oct 27, 2021
My ex husband recently filed for divorce after 3years of separation.

The clerk brought the court summons to me yesterday and I'm absolutely clueless on what to do.

Please someone should put me through. embarassed

3 Likes

Re: Please I Need Legal Advice Concerning Divorce As The Respondent by Maxymilliano(m): 4:20pm On Oct 27, 2021
Get a lawyer to put you through

3 Likes

Re: Please I Need Legal Advice Concerning Divorce As The Respondent by ogawisdom(m): 4:47pm On Oct 27, 2021
5yearsOldtechki:

The clerk brought the court summons to me yesterday and I'm absolutely clueless on what to do.

U need to get a lawyer to file a cross petition. Just have enough money for the case

1 Like

Re: Please I Need Legal Advice Concerning Divorce As The Respondent by ameristu: 4:59pm On Oct 27, 2021
5yearsOldtechki:

It depends on what you want to do, do you want to grant him a divorce or not, do you want to use the opportunity for the court to grant you some things.

What you want would determine your next line of action.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Please I Need Legal Advice Concerning Divorce As The Respondent by 5yearsOldtechki: 6:08pm On Oct 27, 2021
ameristu:

It depends on what you want to do, do you want to grant him a divorce or not, do you want to use the opportunity for the court to grant you some things.

What you want would determine your next line of action.
Thanks for responding
Yes I want the divorce too

1 Like

Re: Please I Need Legal Advice Concerning Divorce As The Respondent by 5yearsOldtechki: 6:10pm On Oct 27, 2021
ogawisdom:

U need to get a lawyer to file a cross petition. Just have enough money for the case
Do you know how much this might cost me co's I'm not financially bouyant
Re: Please I Need Legal Advice Concerning Divorce As The Respondent by Klass99(f): 6:39pm On Oct 27, 2021

4 Likes

Re: Please I Need Legal Advice Concerning Divorce As The Respondent by 5yearsOldtechki: 7:26pm On Oct 27, 2021
Klass99:
Where is the Litigator when you need him?

The user I mentioned is a lawyer with experience in marital causes/matters.

Hopefully, he may be able to answer your questions if he sees this.

But, if you have any classmates who are lawyers or know any within your network, you can start from there.
Thank you very much for your input.

Unfortunately, I don't know anyone.

Litigator please I will appreciate it if you can assist me on this.

1 Like

Re: Please I Need Legal Advice Concerning Divorce As The Respondent by Klass99(f): 7:38pm On Oct 27, 2021

4 Likes

Re: Please I Need Legal Advice Concerning Divorce As The Respondent by sisisioge: 7:54pm On Oct 27, 2021
Dont over stress yourself maami.You dont have to spend a dim. Since he is the petitioner, he practically gets to spend all the money if you're not contesting anything.

If you guys dont have kids or properties to fight over, you dont even have to appear in court. Let him and his lawyer keep going. When they bring another letter try not to be the direct receiver. By the time him and his lawyer waka court wella, he will be begging you to attend once just to tell the judge that you weren't contesting anything as the Judge will keep adjourning. They actually hate dissolving marriages without ascertaining that it's broken beyond repair. Your 3 year separation will even fast track things.

If you still refuse to attend sef, it will get to a point when the court will grant his petitions and award him the dissolution.

All in all,if you join him to spend money and cooperate, you are looking at 6month to 1 year TAT. If you do not cooperate, 2 years will do it.

Meanwhile, what happened to love? I hope you guys dont have kids.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Please I Need Legal Advice Concerning Divorce As The Respondent by crackhaus: 7:58pm On Oct 27, 2021
sisisioge:
Dont over stress yourself maami.You dont have to spend a dim. Since he is the petitioner, he practically gets to spend all the money if you're not contesting anything.

If you guys dont have kids or properties to fight over, you dont even have to appear in court. Let him and his lawyer keep going. When they bring another letter try not to be the direct receiver. By the time him and his lawyer waka court wella, he will be begging you to attend once just to tell the judge that you weren't contesting anything as the Judge will keep adjourning. They actually hate dissolving marriages without ascertaining that it's broken beyond repair. Your 3 year separation will even fast track things.

If you still refuse to attend sef, it will get to a point when the court will grant his petitions and award him the dissolution.

All in all,if you join him to spend money and cooperate, you are looking at 6month to 1 year TAT. If you do not cooperate, 2 years will do it.

They woke up. grin

3 Likes

Re: Please I Need Legal Advice Concerning Divorce As The Respondent by Kobojunkie: 9:50pm On Oct 27, 2021
5yearsOldtechki:

3- years of separation? Make sure to get your fair share from the marriage before you leave it at least. I recently read of the Married Women's Property Act of 1882 and I believe you too can benefit from it too. undecided

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please I Need Legal Advice Concerning Divorce As The Respondent by Klass99(f): 10:24pm On Oct 27, 2021

6 Likes

Re: Please I Need Legal Advice Concerning Divorce As The Respondent by ameristu: 1:22am On Oct 28, 2021
5yearsOldtechki:

Thanks for responding
Yes I want the divorce too

If no sharing of property or spousal support or child support, let the case run its course and the marriage would be dissolved, you don't need to spend a dime since you not wanting anything from him.

2 Likes

Re: Please I Need Legal Advice Concerning Divorce As The Respondent by sisisioge: 5:21am On Oct 28, 2021
Klass99:

You are just a rogue and the female version of an alaye.

Omo see advice nah, I'm just smiling and shaking my head cheesy.

grin grin grin

Seen this work before.

3 Likes

Re: Please I Need Legal Advice Concerning Divorce As The Respondent by 5yearsOldtechki: 6:56am On Oct 28, 2021
ameristu:

If no sharing of property or spousal support or child support, let the case run its course and the marriage would be dissolved, you don't need to spend a dime since you not wanting anything from him.

Ok thanks very much
Re: Please I Need Legal Advice Concerning Divorce As The Respondent by 5yearsOldtechki: 6:57am On Oct 28, 2021
sisisioge:

We have a child
Re: Please I Need Legal Advice Concerning Divorce As The Respondent by 5yearsOldtechki: 6:58am On Oct 28, 2021
Kobojunkie:
3- years of separation? Make sure to get your fair share from the marriage before you leave it at least. I recently read of the Married Women's Property Act of 1882 and I believe you too can benefit from it too. undecided
Will it benefit me cos we were married for two years before the separation
Re: Please I Need Legal Advice Concerning Divorce As The Respondent by ogawisdom(m): 7:18am On Oct 28, 2021
5yearsOldtechki:

Do you know how much this might cost me co's I'm not financially bouyant

It depends on the lawyer involved from 100k to 500k. Never the less u can pay stage by stage.

You have read his petition for divorce thoroughly, is there anything u want to contend? Are you okay with everything in there? If so then u may not need to spend bc the divorce will be granted in court with or without ur cross petition.

You only need to file a cross petition when u have some things to contend in his petition.

Is there any child?
Properties to share?
Etc

1 Like

Re: Please I Need Legal Advice Concerning Divorce As The Respondent by Klass99(f): 8:13am On Oct 28, 2021

3 Likes

Re: Please I Need Legal Advice Concerning Divorce As The Respondent by 5yearsOldtechki: 10:09am On Oct 28, 2021
ogawisdom:

It depends on the lawyer involved from 100k to 500k. Never the less u can pay stage by stage.

You have read his petition for divorce thoroughly, is there anything u want to contend? Are you okay with everything in there? If so then u may not need to spend bc the divorce will be granted in court with or without ur cross petition.

You only need to file a cross petition when u have some things to contend in his petition.

Is there any child?
Properties to share?
Etc
Yes there's a child
Only landed properties

And yes he lied in the paper that he's has been supporting me financially, so I want to contest it and make him start paying that.

2 Likes

Re: Please I Need Legal Advice Concerning Divorce As The Respondent by Truvelisback(m): 10:15am On Oct 28, 2021
ogawisdom:

This is why i hate court marriage. If they had had normal marriage like traditional marriage or white wedding, both of them would have parted ways without all these headache.

2 Likes

Re: Please I Need Legal Advice Concerning Divorce As The Respondent by Kobojunkie: 3:37pm On Oct 28, 2021
5yearsOldtechki:

Will it benefit me cos we were married for two years before the separation
You should check it out for yourself to find out. Ask a lawyer or something. undecided

You don't want to end up worse off than an abandoned wife if you have children, while he goes off spending the dividends of your married life on his own. undecided

1 Like

Re: Please I Need Legal Advice Concerning Divorce As The Respondent by 5yearsOldtechki: 3:39pm On Oct 28, 2021
Kobojunkie:
You should check it out for yourself to find out. Ask a lawyer or something. undecided

You don't want to end up worse off than an abandoned wife if you have children, while he goes off spending the dividends of your married life on his own. undecided
Ok thanks, I will.
Re: Please I Need Legal Advice Concerning Divorce As The Respondent by Kobojunkie: 3:41pm On Oct 28, 2021
Truvelisback:
This is why i hate court marriage. If they had had normal marriage like traditional marriage or white wedding, both of them would have parted ways without all these headache.
You call dividing up the dividends of the marriage up equally a headache? Anyways, fortunately, the Married Women's Property Act of 1882 stipulates the sharing of marriage property even in case of traditional and white marriages . So you are not going to walk away with the loot even in those cases. undecided

1 Like

Re: Please I Need Legal Advice Concerning Divorce As The Respondent by Kobojunkie: 3:42pm On Oct 28, 2021
5yearsOldtechki:

Ok thanks, I will.
Seriously, do not end up another poor single/divorced mother on the streets of Nigeria, abeg! undecided

1 Like

Re: Please I Need Legal Advice Concerning Divorce As The Respondent by 5yearsOldtechki: 3:46pm On Oct 28, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Seriously, do not end up another poor single/divorced mother on the streets of Nigeria, abeg! undecided
I really appreciate your advise, thanks cry
Re: Please I Need Legal Advice Concerning Divorce As The Respondent by ogawisdom(m): 5:53pm On Oct 28, 2021
5yearsOldtechki:

Yes there's a child
Only landed properties

And yes he lied in the paper that he's has been supporting me financially, so I want to contest it and make him start paying that.

Ok engage the service of a lawyer to file a cross petition immediately

Ask for custody of the child
Depending on his financial strength ask for 200k monthly child support (that is assuming his nature of work can afford it)

Also 15m general damage etc
A smart lawyer is all u need
Re: Please I Need Legal Advice Concerning Divorce As The Respondent by Klass99(f): 5:54pm On Oct 28, 2021
Re: Please I Need Legal Advice Concerning Divorce As The Respondent by Truvelisback(m): 5:56pm On Oct 28, 2021
Kobojunkie:
You call dividing up the dividends of the marriage up equally a headache? Anyways, fortunately, the Married Women's Property Act of 1882 stipulates the sharing of marriage property even in case of traditional and white marriages . So you are not going to walk away with the loot even in those cases. undecided
It's the court that does that.
Re: Please I Need Legal Advice Concerning Divorce As The Respondent by Kobojunkie: 6:02pm On Oct 28, 2021
Truvelisback:
It's the court that does that.
Customs court where you go to dissolve your traditional marriages is also a court. undecided

2 Likes

Re: Please I Need Legal Advice Concerning Divorce As The Respondent by Kobojunkie: 6:03pm On Oct 28, 2021
ogawisdom:
Ok engage the service of a lawyer to file a cross petition immediately

Ask for custody of the child
Depending on his financial strength ask for 200k monthly child support (that is assuming his nature of work can afford it)

Also 15m general damage etc
A smart lawyer is all u need
Ask 200 k for monthly child support, why? undecided

Why 15 m general damages? Why are you already suggesting the amount she should ask for. undecided

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

A Chronic Insultive Wife / Missing Person: Mr Tayo Ayeni / Please Pray For This Pregnant Woman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.