Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,728 members, 7,802,189 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:44 AM

Intern As Front End Developer Without Pay!! - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Intern As Front End Developer Without Pay!! (3034 Views)

Is There Any Hope For A Developer Without Any Degree? / Useless Youtube Channels Every Beginner Front End Developer Should Avoid / Front-End Developer Or Back-End Developer: Which Job Title Has A Higher Salary? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Intern As Front End Developer Without Pay!! by Nobody: 9:34am On Apr 15, 2022
ShadowCracker:

Stop saying what you don't know oga angry angry.

I am a university of Ibadan computer science student.

Some of seniors were poached by Microsoft for internship positions, they were not necessarily the smartest, they were just the lucky set to be present in campus when Microsoft came shikena.

Microsoft Internship in Nigeria is probably watered down so a lot of people can get it, this isn't usually how top tech companies scout for Internship positions. Also to get into Microsoft Nigeria is easier because they pay less than Andela, I am sure because I have been Interviewed.

Google, Facebook and Amazon Internship is really difficult that It requires so much preparation to get in.

Please forget about the word Internship for Faang companies, It completely means something else there.
For example, Google internship consist of 3-4 technical evaluations.

1. Two online hacker rank, 90 minutes to do both.
2. Two back-to-back 45 minute coding interviews.
3. Then behavioral interviews for another hour.

Imagine doing 100 to 200 Leetcode questions before going for Internship interview, that doesn't sound like normal Internship to me.

Edit: I just reconfirmed & Microsoft rates are now better compared to 2019/2020.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Intern As Front End Developer Without Pay!! by jansonn(m): 10:04am On Apr 15, 2022
3exe3:

Portfolio is just a site u build to sale yourself by displaying your projects

Ok, I get
I'm working on some now
Re: Intern As Front End Developer Without Pay!! by tensazangetsu20(m): 10:16am On Apr 15, 2022
truthsayer009:

Microsoft Internship in Nigeria is probably watered down so a lot of people can get it, this isn't usually how top tech companies scout for Internship positions. Also to get into Microsoft Nigeria is easier because they pay less than Andela, I am sure because I have been Interviewed.

Google, Facebook and Amazon Internship is really difficult that It requires so much preparation to get in.

Please forget about the word Internship for Faang companies, It completely means something else there.

Imagine doing 100 to 200 Leetcode questions before going for Internship interview, that doesn't sound like normal Internship to me.

When I heard this thing I was so shocked o. I used to think Amazon was the easiest of the faangs to get into. I fit aim for Microsoft Nigeria but I don't see a future in this country at all.

Doing 100 leetcode questions and passing a faang interview means you are a genius. The real standard is 500 to 800 questions. I have done over 100 and I am not ready for any faang interview.
Re: Intern As Front End Developer Without Pay!! by ShadowCracker(m): 11:13am On Apr 15, 2022
truthsayer009:

You are right though.

My own point of view is just that although most companies don't want to go through the stress of training and recruiting newbies, there are still some who do it.
Re: Intern As Front End Developer Without Pay!! by Nobody: 3:21pm On Apr 15, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

When I heard this thing I was so shocked o. I used to think Amazon was the easiest of the faangs to get into. I fit aim for Microsoft Nigeria but I don't see a future in this country at all.

Doing 100 leetcode questions and passing a faang interview means you are a genius. The real standard is 500 to 800 questions. I have done over 100 and I am not ready for any faang interview.

Amazon is not in Nigeria currently, so we can't compare. Microsoft needs Nigerian developers and they are competing against the local companies using Nigerian pay scale, so they cannot be conducting interview like they are abroad. If you do an interview in Microsoft Europe, North America or any other place outside Africa, na war oh. To pass phone screening sef, na with prayers.
Re: Intern As Front End Developer Without Pay!! by Nobody: 3:26pm On Apr 15, 2022
ShadowCracker:

You are right though.

My own point of view is just that although most companies don't want to go through the stress of training and recruiting newbies, there are still some who do it.

Yes newbies are meant to be trained always, that's what Internship is suppose to be for. The issue is that the standard in Faang is so high that their version of Newbies is Senior in some places. The companies that don't want to go through the stress of training have to pay more for Seniors and they even leave 6 months of getting remote job.

1 Like

Re: Intern As Front End Developer Without Pay!! by tensazangetsu20(m): 3:33pm On Apr 15, 2022
truthsayer009:

Amazon is not in Nigeria currently, so we can't compare. Microsoft needs Nigerian developers and they are competing against the local companies using Nigerian pay scale, so they cannot be conducting interview like they are abroad. If you do an interview in Microsoft Europe, North America or any other place outside Africa, na war oh. To pass phone screening sef, na with prayers.

Na wa o. I am shocked o walai. No wonder so many Nigerians have never heard of leetcode and some have even worked at this places. Abroad people start doing leetcode from primary school so they can get a big job when they graduate. Na wa o.
Re: Intern As Front End Developer Without Pay!! by Hannania(m): 4:04pm On Apr 15, 2022
truthsayer009:

What's the range like? Presently applied to Palantir, Goldman Sachs and them.

I'll appreciate a range if you don't mind
Re: Intern As Front End Developer Without Pay!! by Nobody: 4:12pm On Apr 15, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Na wa o. I am shocked o walai. No wonder so many Nigerians have never heard of leetcode and some have even worked at this places. Abroad people start doing leetcode from primary school so they can get a big job when they graduate. Na wa o.

It's the Nigerian education system. I finished from NIIT which was suppose even to be better, so back then It was Codility but we never heard of it in class, nobody told us. It was devastating coming out and not being able to get a job. I came out of school and i saw Codility Test in an Interview, it looked like gibberish to me.
Re: Intern As Front End Developer Without Pay!! by tensazangetsu20(m): 4:15pm On Apr 15, 2022
truthsayer009:

It's the Nigerian education system. I finished from NIIT which was suppose even to be better, so back then It was Codility but we never heard of it in class, nobody told us. It was devastating coming out and not being able to get a job. I came out of school and i saw Codility Test in an Interview, it looked like gibberish to me.

Codility is very brutal. Their test cases are very unforgiving if you don't use your head to think through them.

1 Like

Re: Intern As Front End Developer Without Pay!! by Nobody: 4:24pm On Apr 15, 2022
Hannania:
What's the range like? Presently applied to Palantir, Goldman Sachs and them.

I'll appreciate a range if you don't mind

Sounds like this is a foreign Interview and not a Nigerian one such as Microsoft Nigeria. If you get Goldman Sachs abeg go oh.

I just confirmed the figures from a Microsoft recruiter again now, Entry level currently is 850k and above Net Income. Senior is around around 1.5. Depending on Seniority level. But back in 2019, It wasn't as high as this, I feel they recently increased their rates to compete with companies stealing Nigerian devs for Remote work.
Re: Intern As Front End Developer Without Pay!! by Nobody: 4:28pm On Apr 15, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Codility is very brutal. Their test cases are very unforgiving if you don't use your head to think through them.

I am happy we have Leetcode and Hackerrank now. Codility was created by depressed souls.
Re: Intern As Front End Developer Without Pay!! by Hannania(m): 4:29pm On Apr 15, 2022
truthsayer009:

Sounds like this is a foreign Interview and not a Nigerian one such as Microsoft Nigeria. If you get Goldman Sachs abeg go oh.

I just confirmed the figures from a recruiter again now, Entry level currently is 850k and above Net Income. Senior is around around 1.5. Depending on Seniority level. But back in 2019, It wasn't as high as this, I feel they recently increased their rates to compete with companies stealing Nigerian devs for Remote work.
Yeah its foreign. Palantir even pays better than Google in London. They give €112k total compensation unlike google that gives €85k.

What I applied for was internship though. Just wanted to know what Microsoft pays. So I'll decide if to stay remote or consider their option if successful.

With the living expense on the island in lagos, 10m per years isn't bad. Considering Ikoyi rent base from 3m yearly.

Japa is still the goal sha

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Intern As Front End Developer Without Pay!! by tensazangetsu20(m): 4:35pm On Apr 15, 2022
truthsayer009:

I am happy we have Leetcode and Hackerrank now. Codility was created by depressed souls.

I did a codility test. When J was writing the test I passed all test cases at 100 percent. The company called me back. Apparently while my code was correct for the example test cases and some simple test cases they failed some large test cases. Imagine codility passing 1 billion as a test case for a Fibonacci series problem grin cheesy. The company asked me to redo the test and make sure I pass all the test cases before I move to the next stage.

The annoying thing is they never show you those test cases. They only show those test cases to who set the code. So annoying.

1 Like

Re: Intern As Front End Developer Without Pay!! by Nobody: 4:46pm On Apr 15, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

I did a codility test. When J was writing the test I passed all test cases at 100 percent. The company called me back. Apparently while my code was correct for the example test cases and some simple test cases they failed some large test cases. Imagine codility passing 1 billion as a test case for a Fibonacci series problem grin cheesy. The company asked me to redo the test and make sure I pass all the test cases before I move to the next stage.

The annoying thing is they never show you those test cases. They only show those test cases to who set the code. So annoying.

Yes I have experienced huge test case failure too with Codility, honestly once I see Codility as the choosen platform for an Interviiew. I use to decline it. There is something it does to your self esteem, I can't be feeling bad about myself for a code I knew I wrote well enough. I declined Toptal interview because of that reason.

So far, the best Interviews are the ones where you share your screen and walk your interviewer through what you are trying to achieve, it helps because no large Test cases, also the Interviewer gets to help you along the way if you are going the wrong path.
Re: Intern As Front End Developer Without Pay!! by tensazangetsu20(m): 4:49pm On Apr 15, 2022
truthsayer009:

Yes I have experienced huge test case failure too with Codility, honestly once I see Codility as the choosen platform for an Interviiew. I use to decline it. There is something it does to your self esteem, I can't be feeling bad about myself for a code I knew I wrote well enough. I declined Toptal interview because of that reason.

So far, the best Interviews are the ones where you share your screen and walk your interviewer through what you are trying to achieve, it helps because no large Test cases, also the Interviewer gets to help you along the way if you are going the wrong path.

Me I no hate anything o especially now I am looking for a japa job. I get at least 3 codility screens a week. For codility, I always assume the worst with regards to test cases. If something can be solved in Logn rather than O(n) do it in log(n) o. If it's possible for it to use constant space rather than linear space use constant space o. Assume th worst with codility. One billion O for fibonacci

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Intern As Front End Developer Without Pay!! by Nobody: 5:00pm On Apr 15, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Me I no hate anything o especially now I am looking for a japa job. I get at least 3 codility screens a week. For codility, I always assume the worst with regards to test cases. If something can be solved in Logn rather than O(n) do it in log(n) o. If it's possible for it to use constant space rather than linear space use constant space o. Assume th worst with codility. One billion O for fibonacci

Sure, very few solutions can be solved in O(n) without using maths. Once I see a code like that, I just knew there is a mathematical solution implemented. There is a platform called CodeSignal (Formerly CodeFights), It a coding challenge website like Leetcode but for Gaming against people all over. You will see other people's solution to a problem easily. Like top 10 solutions around the world to the problem you want to solve.

I will start prepping for interviews again by July, maybe I will checkout Codility again.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Intern As Front End Developer Without Pay!! by tensazangetsu20(m): 5:09pm On Apr 15, 2022
truthsayer009:

Sure, very few solutions can be solved in O(n) without using maths. Once I see a code like that, I just knew there is a mathematical solution implemented. There is a platform called CodeSignal (Formerly CodeFights), It a coding challenge website like Leetcode but for Gaming against people all over. You will see other people's solution to a problem easily. Like top 10 solutions around the world to the problem you want to solve.

I will start prepping for interviews again by July, maybe I will checkout Codility again.

Yeah definitely you cant get log(n) solutions without a lot of mathematics involved in your code.

1 Like

Re: Intern As Front End Developer Without Pay!! by Hotty321(m): 6:12pm On Apr 15, 2022
Can someone that doesn't do science be a programmer? quick response please.

I studied insurance in university and wish to be a programmer...
Re: Intern As Front End Developer Without Pay!! by jansonn(m): 6:32pm On Apr 15, 2022
Hotty321:
Can someone that doesn't do science be a programmer? quick response please.

I studied insurance in university and wish to be a programmer...
Sure
Re: Intern As Front End Developer Without Pay!! by jansonn(m): 6:33pm On Apr 15, 2022
All this my ogas don steal my thread oo!!
Chai, God will do it because I don't understand anything you guys are saying here. Omo!!
Re: Intern As Front End Developer Without Pay!! by flam5: 10:23am On Apr 16, 2022
jansonn:
All this my ogas don steal my thread oo!!
Chai, God will do it because I don't understand anything you guys are saying here. Omo!!
What they are talking about is Data structure and algorithms. You will need it in your web development journey.
Don't be intimidated, they were once like you. Take it one step at a time. Some guys are wishing to be at your current level also.
As for your request, check indeed website and filter your search to IT/web development jobs with Abuja location. You will see some intern positions.
Note: Try and do small project based on your level of knowledge. It will show recruiters how ready you are to learn.

2 Likes

Re: Intern As Front End Developer Without Pay!! by Hotty321(m): 11:06am On Apr 16, 2022
jansonn:

Sure
Thanks for the response..please are you a programmer if yes, which one will you advise me to go for between front end or back end programming? or any one that is sought after..
Re: Intern As Front End Developer Without Pay!! by jansonn(m): 1:23pm On Apr 16, 2022
flam5:

What they are talking about is Data structure and algorithms. You will need it in your web development journey.
Don't be intimidated, they were once like you. Take it one step at a time. Some guys are wishing to be at your current level also.
As for your request, check indeed website and filter your search to IT/web development jobs with Abuja location. You will see some intern positions.
Note: Try and do small project based on your level of knowledge. It will show recruiters how ready you are to learn.
Wow, thanks bro. I appreciate. God bless
Re: Intern As Front End Developer Without Pay!! by 3exe3: 2:34pm On Apr 16, 2022
Hannania:
Yeah its foreign. Palantir even pays better than Google in London. They give €112k total compensation unlike google that gives €85k.

What I applied for was internship though. Just wanted to know what Microsoft pays. So I'll decide if to stay remote or consider their option if successful.

With the living expense on the island in lagos, 10m per years isn't bad. Considering Ikoyi rent base from 3m yearly.

Japa is still the goal sha

How did u apply for this
Re: Intern As Front End Developer Without Pay!! by 3exe3: 2:38pm On Apr 16, 2022
jansonn:

Wow, thanks bro. I appreciate. God bless

Told u data structure is important
Re: Intern As Front End Developer Without Pay!! by Hannania(m): 6:23pm On Apr 16, 2022
3exe3:

How did u apply for this
Adverts are made on LinkedIn, which leads you the the career sites of the companies.

PS: Try and get a referral from an employee, it would give you 80% chance to get an interview
Re: Intern As Front End Developer Without Pay!! by jansonn(m): 6:52pm On Apr 16, 2022
3exe3:

Told u data structure is important
Yeah, you did
But when is the right time to start learning it. After js??
And what materials can I use??

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Need Focused People To Join A Whatsapp Group For Learning Java / C++ Helpline / Videos Tutorial / Ebooks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.