Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,286 members, 7,818,970 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:13 AM

Can I Use My Degree Acquired In Nigeria To Secure A Job Abroad - UK, US, EU? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Can I Use My Degree Acquired In Nigeria To Secure A Job Abroad - UK, US, EU? (1001 Views)

Airfares To UK, US, Others Jump By 55% / Interior Of Lagos Ibadan Trains Acquired By Buhari Government / Photos Of New Boeing 777-300 Aircraft 'Anuli Peggy Onyema' Acquired By Air Peace (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can I Use My Degree Acquired In Nigeria To Secure A Job Abroad - UK, US, EU? by SouthSultan(m): 6:00am On Apr 14, 2022
Hello guys,

So I have been seriously thinking about the subject matter.

What do you all know about this topic? Do employers recognize Nigerian degrees in the above mentioned nations?

Can someone who have a University degree in Nigeria before moving to the US, UK or EU countries secure a good job with it over there?

What is the whole process like? How much value does our university education have abroad?

Kindly share your experiences please

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can I Use My Degree Acquired In Nigeria To Secure A Job Abroad - UK, US, EU? by STONEUS: 6:13am On Apr 14, 2022
Following
Re: Can I Use My Degree Acquired In Nigeria To Secure A Job Abroad - UK, US, EU? by pyyxxaro: 6:26am On Apr 14, 2022
You can use only your JSS 3 result cool

1 Like

Re: Can I Use My Degree Acquired In Nigeria To Secure A Job Abroad - UK, US, EU? by advanceDNA: 6:40am On Apr 14, 2022
SouthSultan:
Hello guys,

So I have been seriously thinking about the subject matter.

What do you all know about this topic? Do employers recognize Nigerian degrees in the above mentioned nations?

Can someone who have a University degree in Nigeria before moving to the US, UK or EU countries secure a good job with it over there?

What is the whole process like? How much value does our university education have abroad?

Kindly share your experiences please

Experience and residency/right to work without sponsorship is a strong factor for foreigners to get jobs abroad with their nigerian degrees.
My friend moved to Canada 3 years ago with his bachelors in biochemistry after working in nigerian breweries for some years. Hes now the head of quakity assurance in the brewery he works in Canada.
Would he have gotten the JOB if he applied from that shit hole called Nigeria. I seriously doubt it...
Re: Can I Use My Degree Acquired In Nigeria To Secure A Job Abroad - UK, US, EU? by WoundedLamb: 6:51am On Apr 14, 2022
The simple answer is, yes you can. Some fields are regulated, so you might find yourself taking some exams to get your license (just like any other place). Otherwise, your certificate is absolutely fine provided you can defend it when the chips are down. While Europe is a bit more traditional in terms certificates and degrees, North America is primarily about skills. I know people in tech who have never had to bring out thier degree certificates.

More so, in some countries like Australia, New Zealand and Canada where economic migration is the order of the day, it would be counterintuitive and counterproductive for employers to start rejecting foreign certificates. This is because, in recent times, most immigrants in these countries arrive as skilled workers with the purpose of adding value to the country using thier foreign education. Such immigrants are either on work permit (which means the employers probably picked them from thier source countries) or are government invited immigrants (which means thier certificates were assessed by foreign education assessment bodies like WES, IQAS, etc). The fact that these immigrants are doing great in thier respective fields clears any doubt employers might have regarding foreign certificates. Therefore, even non economic immigrants (marriage, asylum, etc.) don't really have major issues in this regard.

One thing I know immigrants suffer in NA sometimes is the demand for "American/Canadian" experience. This is distinct from your professional experience. Some workers might look down on women at work or treat thier LGBTQ+ colleagues with disdain, some might be considered "loud" or "rude" primarily cause of background differences. Because of these, some employers sometimes ask for local (American/Canadian) experience even if it's just some internship or volunteering experience. Finally, if you enter through the backdoor, the recognition of your certificate would be the least of your issues.

1 Like

Re: Can I Use My Degree Acquired In Nigeria To Secure A Job Abroad - UK, US, EU? by SouthSultan(m): 7:36am On Apr 14, 2022
You are good at Woundedlamb.

(1) (Reply)

Abuja To Singapore Trip / Got Invited To The US By My Girlfriend But Don't Know The Next Step To Take / BREAKING: Federal Government Shuts Lagos International Airport For Eight Weeks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.