Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,745 members, 7,824,147 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:37 AM

Chrome Extension And Enhancement Of A Platform In Context To NL Anti-spambot - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Chrome Extension And Enhancement Of A Platform In Context To NL Anti-spambot (3025 Views)

Please I Need Help With This Reactjs Issue - Context Api & RTK (pictures) / What Exactly Are SPAMBOT And PYGURU On Nairaland? ? / Chinedu Daniel (andela Programmer) Creates Chrome Extension For Nairaland (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chrome Extension And Enhancement Of A Platform In Context To NL Anti-spambot by Captainjoe2019(m): 4:24pm On May 08, 2022
What's up! Great devs, are we still doing this? If yes, any update?
Re: Chrome Extension And Enhancement Of A Platform In Context To NL Anti-spambot by qtguru(m): 9:28pm On May 09, 2022
Yes, creating a base repo, it's going to be slow work, and not something to rush
Re: Chrome Extension And Enhancement Of A Platform In Context To NL Anti-spambot by qtguru(m): 5:22pm On May 18, 2022
I have created the repo and created a questionnaire in Airtable, I will share it within the slack group, if you are interested, kindly join us in slack, pending we have a working sample to allow us to post here without issues.

Adios

Thanks

3 Likes

Re: Chrome Extension And Enhancement Of A Platform In Context To NL Anti-spambot by qtguru(m): 7:46pm On May 18, 2022
https://airtable.com/shrVi5uqTRe3SO1XW

Join the community , work has started

2 Likes

Re: Chrome Extension And Enhancement Of A Platform In Context To NL Anti-spambot by semmyk(m): 10:14am On May 19, 2022
Awesome suggest from 3exe3
Perhaps, to keep the origin (even when it goes 'global'), then maybe
NLExtend , NLExtendit
3exe3:

Was suggesting list of names for the extension.. you might choose

Extend, extendit
Re: Chrome Extension And Enhancement Of A Platform In Context To NL Anti-spambot by qtguru(m): 4:31pm On May 19, 2022
semmyk:
Awesome suggest from 3exe3
Perhaps, to keep the origin (even when it goes 'global'), then maybe
NLExtend , NLExtendit

I like the idea, I will prepare resources for newcomers then by next week, we will have some discussion, anyone can use it as a portfolio in their profile as long as they contribute.
Re: Chrome Extension And Enhancement Of A Platform In Context To NL Anti-spambot by Nobody: 5:08am On Jun 13, 2022
Re: Chrome Extension And Enhancement Of A Platform In Context To NL Anti-spambot by qtguru(m): 11:02am On Jun 13, 2022
Re: Chrome Extension And Enhancement Of A Platform In Context To NL Anti-spambot by airsaylongcome: 4:17pm On Jun 13, 2022
qtguru:

Leave that guy abeg
Re: Chrome Extension And Enhancement Of A Platform In Context To NL Anti-spambot by qtguru(m): 1:36pm On Jun 21, 2022
Update:

I refactored the previous code and stripped out a lot of it, it's most base code, the popup simply shows a simple message, I sent out a list of invites to those in the Airtable form.

The First Phase is adding the control and Ui to Nairaland which is a simple task

It simply injects DOM content into Nairaland DOM when the page is loaded and attach an event to it. that's all

Thanks to semmyk I went for the name NLExtendIt, I will add your name to the contributor list

I will update during free time.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chrome Extension And Enhancement Of A Platform In Context To NL Anti-spambot by Nobody: 2:30pm On Jun 21, 2022
lipsrsealed
Re: Chrome Extension And Enhancement Of A Platform In Context To NL Anti-spambot by qtguru(m): 4:00pm On Jun 21, 2022
I sent out mails, please kindly respond it is an invitation to the repo.
Re: Chrome Extension And Enhancement Of A Platform In Context To NL Anti-spambot by 3exe3: 4:19pm On Jun 21, 2022
qtguru:
I sent out mails, please kindly respond it is an invitation to the repo.

Saw your invite
Re: Chrome Extension And Enhancement Of A Platform In Context To NL Anti-spambot by qtguru(m): 5:12pm On Jun 21, 2022
The Manifest file has been updated to only run when the page is on Nairaland,

so it loads the Svelte Component into Nairaland DOM

Svelte Components are used either via DOM or Programmatically where it takes the node to be injected in and the pass parameter is the props it expects, just like React.

Rollup transpiles the application and the converts the TS which in turn compiles our code and packages Svelte runtime with it.

Now you can see the extension alter Nairaland when the extension is available.

With this, we can move to add the UI for our widget in new topic, currently this extension only runs in the homepage so we can tweak the manifest to allow url wildcards.

3 Likes

Re: Chrome Extension And Enhancement Of A Platform In Context To NL Anti-spambot by qtguru(m): 6:41pm On Jun 21, 2022
Now the next phase we want to do is to create an activation point, where users can click on the item to render a dialog, which will show list of components to choose from.

I will be stealing this icon for our application.

Re: Chrome Extension And Enhancement Of A Platform In Context To NL Anti-spambot by qtguru(m): 6:52pm On Jun 21, 2022
[s]As you can see, the grammarly extension has injected itself into the node, what should be noted here is that , the Grammarly widget is actually placed infront of the textarea and not inside, what does this mean ?

By deduction it scans the Textarea Element, captures the bounding client to determine the height, offsetleft, offsetRight so it can place itself at the bottom of the textarea, we will be following the same suite. [/s]

New Findings

Apparently, Grammarly extension uses Shadow DOM to replace the existing textarea to render the Main UI, Shadow DOM is something I am familiar with, but never dived deep into. For now we will work with normal DOM Manipulation to set the control for the main time. By today we should be looking at rendering a simple list of component before moving most of the work to Firebase

4 Likes

Re: Chrome Extension And Enhancement Of A Platform In Context To NL Anti-spambot by 3exe3: 7:34pm On Jun 21, 2022
qtguru:
As you can see, the grammarly extension has injected itself into the node, what should be noted here is that , the Grammarly widget is actually placed infront of the textarea and not inside, what does this mean ?

By deduction it scans the Textarea Element, captures the bounding client to determine the height, offsetleft, offsetRight so it can place itself at the bottom of the textarea, we will be following the same suite.

Following
Re: Chrome Extension And Enhancement Of A Platform In Context To NL Anti-spambot by qtguru(m): 7:50am On Jun 23, 2022
Update

I had to remove the previous idea, I was wasting too much time on something not too important, so I decided to go with a Sidebar where you can choose which widget to add to the page, I add the idea of adding it to where the controls exist when you write a post, but the sidebar works more in my opinion.

For now, I will keep everything simple, in the future, the UI can always change since it is being built in a Svelte Component. for now I will be setting up Firebase today that is where most of the important details reside in.

There are important issues to discuss:

1. What format to store the widget code. e.g so we need to generate a text that the extension scans for and replaces it with the widget in the DOM.

e.g [widget type='url' rel='link']Link[/widget]

The issue is NL can tomorrow decided to block such, so imagine we can determine what tag to search for in the extension settings. do we encrypt into something else that can only read by extension or come up with our own type of tag. If you have ideas you can comment in the forum

Also, is another discussion, what type of widgets do we want?

1. Ability to share Songs with lyrics
2. Share Images easily
3. Interactive content (3D and STL)

Once the proof of concept is done, I will be halting development until there is a discussion around which widget makes more sense to start

Re: Chrome Extension And Enhancement Of A Platform In Context To NL Anti-spambot by 3exe3: 2:20pm On Jun 23, 2022
qtguru:
Update

I had to remove the previous idea, I was wasting too much time on something not too important, so I decided to go with a Sidebar where you can choose which widget to add to the page, I add the idea of adding it to where the controls exist when you write a post, but the sidebar works more in my opinion.

For now, I will keep everything simple, in the future, the UI can always change since it is being built in a Svelte Component. for now I will be setting up Firebase today that is where most of the important details reside in.

There are important issues to discuss:

1. What format to store the widget code. e.g so we need to generate a text that the extension scans for and replaces it with the widget in the DOM.

e.g [widget type='url' rel='link']Link[/widget]

The issue is NL can tomorrow decided to block such, so imagine we can determine what tag to search for in the extension settings. do we encrypt into something else that can only read by extension or come up with our own type of tag. If you have ideas you can comment in the forum

Also, is another discussion, what type of widgets do we want?

1. Ability to share Songs with lyrics
2. Share Images easily
3. Interactive content (3D and STL)

Once the proof of concept is done, I will be halting development until there is a discussion around which widget makes more sense to start

Just to be sure I get you

Ur saying we got 2 choices:
1. Creating and inserting elements to the Dom.
2. Work with the default NL Dom and look for certain tags where the extensions will work with.( This could have a drawback if NL decides to block it).
Re: Chrome Extension And Enhancement Of A Platform In Context To NL Anti-spambot by qtguru(m): 6:57pm On Jun 23, 2022
Biggerbros234:

Hi qtguru, I am also willing to help on the project.
I am currently learning JavaScript.

Are you in the slack group ?
Re: Chrome Extension And Enhancement Of A Platform In Context To NL Anti-spambot by Biggerbros234: 2:19am On Jun 24, 2022
qtguru:

Are you in the slack group ?
No.
Re: Chrome Extension And Enhancement Of A Platform In Context To NL Anti-spambot by SparkleSix: 3:28pm On Jul 05, 2022
qtguru:
https://airtable.com/shrVi5uqTRe3SO1XW

Join the community , work has started

Greetings,

How is the project going? Would love to contribute. Any UI of the base prototype so we can start from there?
Re: Chrome Extension And Enhancement Of A Platform In Context To NL Anti-spambot by qtguru(m): 3:47pm On Jul 05, 2022
SparkleSix:

Greetings,

How is the project going? Would love to contribute. Any UI of the base prototype so we can start from there?

Yeah I am working on it, I wanted to build the main base first with firebase for the link widget then anyone can take the Link component example and add multiple widgets to it. I will advance today.
Re: Chrome Extension And Enhancement Of A Platform In Context To NL Anti-spambot by Nobody: 3:01pm On Aug 23, 2022
sad
Re: Chrome Extension And Enhancement Of A Platform In Context To NL Anti-spambot by XXII: 6:37am On Oct 23, 2022
Qtguru, sorry I am putting this here but I am interested in joining your slack group.
Re: Chrome Extension And Enhancement Of A Platform In Context To NL Anti-spambot by peterincredible: 6:21am On May 06, 2023
Today is Saturday thinking of playing and learning chrome extension development I hope I hope it still popping in the freelance world
Re: Chrome Extension And Enhancement Of A Platform In Context To NL Anti-spambot by qtguru(m): 12:54pm On May 08, 2023
peterincredible:
Today is Saturday thinking of playing and learning chrome extension development I hope I hope it still popping in the freelance world

It is, I did a 250$ in a day gig and the task was minimal compared to my full-time job. The only thing I'd say is spend so much time learning the architecture because Chrome extension especially Message Passing can be complex.

1 Like

Re: Chrome Extension And Enhancement Of A Platform In Context To NL Anti-spambot by peterincredible: 2:53pm On May 08, 2023
qtguru:

It is, I did a 250$ in a day gig and the task was minimal compared to my full-time job. The only thing I'd say is spend so much time learning the architecture because Chrome extension especially Message Passing can be complex.

Ok I will just keep on reading their documentation and practicing pls I will like to contact you personally I don't know how to get to you?
But make I first ask u still dey naija so
Re: Chrome Extension And Enhancement Of A Platform In Context To NL Anti-spambot by qtguru(m): 3:39pm On May 08, 2023
peterincredible:

Ok I will just keep on reading their documentation and practicing pls I will like to contact you personally I don't know how to get to you?
But make I first ask u still dey naija so

adplist.org/mentors/okeowo-aderemi

Book a session smiley
Re: Chrome Extension And Enhancement Of A Platform In Context To NL Anti-spambot by BlackhatMentor: 7:54pm On Oct 11, 2023
Why did you stop this Project bro?

Can we make it a reality?
Re: Chrome Extension And Enhancement Of A Platform In Context To NL Anti-spambot by qtguru(m): 6:37am On Oct 14, 2023
BlackhatMentor:
Why did you stop this Project bro?

Can we make it a reality?

Money made me stop it, I like coding, but as of now, I prefer money more. Clients pay me to code, so I don't have time for projects like this.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Advantage of using Blender OS 4 creating animated films, visual effects, art etc / Vb6.0 Code / What Is The Difference Between Linux Ubuntu And Linux Kali?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.