Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,441 members, 7,819,632 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:32 PM

If A Woman Buys A Property In The Name Of Her Husband, It Does Not Belong To Him - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / If A Woman Buys A Property In The Name Of Her Husband, It Does Not Belong To Him (1287 Views)

Woman Buys Coffin For Husband In Anambra As Father's Day Gift / Man Buys A New Car For His Mother, Says 'It Has Been My Dream' / 17-Year-Old Boy Buys A Car For His Mother In Lagos. See Reactions (Photo, Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

If A Woman Buys A Property In The Name Of Her Husband, It Does Not Belong To Him by Pascopele: 7:24am On Apr 18, 2022
Following the post on this thread https://www.nairaland.com/7080619/father-dragging-moms-property-me

This may be useful for some of us buying properties. It is a court verdict

IF A WOMAN BUYS A PROPERTY IN THE NAME OF HER HUSBAND, IT DOES NOT BELONG TO HIM.

Where a woman buys a property in the name of her husband, it does not belong to him. Rather, the husband is holding the property in trust (as a guardian, to help her keep the property) for his wife. However, where a husband buys a property in the name of his wife, the property belongs to the wife, and it is seen as a gift from him to her.

This was what the Court said in JOLUGBO & ANOR v. AINA & ANOR (2016) LPELR - 40352 (CA) (Pp 27 - 29 Paras A - D) where Hon. Justice Amina Adamu Augue JCA (as she then was) said that: "The law also makes a distinction between the husband and the wife - when a wife buys a property, and conveys it in the name of her husband, there is no presumption of advancement in favour of her husband; he holds in trust for his wife.

However, if the husband purchases a property in his wife's name, this is prima facie a gift to her - see Silver v. Silver (1958) 1 All E. R.523." Thus, if a man does not desire to gift his wife a property, it should be bought in his name or in the joint names of himself and his wife. Please share widely among family, friends, colleagues and associates.

Thank you.

Barr Pasco �

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: If A Woman Buys A Property In The Name Of Her Husband, It Does Not Belong To Him by LordIsaac(m): 7:26am On Apr 18, 2022
You see...domestic violence and gender inequality?

3 Likes

Re: If A Woman Buys A Property In The Name Of Her Husband, It Does Not Belong To Him by OyeofIkoTuN(m): 7:28am On Apr 18, 2022
Hahahahahahaha..Touch my blokos for the Woke world.. Can't happen in the east where tradition and culture supercedes wokeness and alien democracy

3 Likes

Re: If A Woman Buys A Property In The Name Of Her Husband, It Does Not Belong To Him by Babaken(m): 8:27am On Apr 18, 2022
If my wife I marry as tradition demands pay her dowry and she's answering my name buy property while we are living together the property is OUR'S likewise myself. But the one she bought before I marry her that one is left for her what she want to do with it she can give to her family, keep it for herself turn it to our family properly it left for her.

5 Likes

Re: If A Woman Buys A Property In The Name Of Her Husband, It Does Not Belong To Him by habsydiamond(m): 8:29am On Apr 18, 2022
Walahi this life no balance at all at all

2 Likes

Re: If A Woman Buys A Property In The Name Of Her Husband, It Does Not Belong To Him by MEGA4BILLION(m): 8:35am On Apr 18, 2022
Men are really the endangered specie

2 Likes

Re: If A Woman Buys A Property In The Name Of Her Husband, It Does Not Belong To Him by Peebaby93: 8:55am On Apr 18, 2022
Why would I buy property in the name of my husband?

Don't I have a name?

What if the husband is a greedy one who will fight to collect it cos obviously it's in his name.

To avoid trouble everyone buy in your name.except it's a gift to one another.

9 Likes

Re: If A Woman Buys A Property In The Name Of Her Husband, It Does Not Belong To Him by Pascopele: 9:43am On Apr 18, 2022
Babaken:
If my wife I marry as tradition demands pay her dowry and she's answering my name buy property while we are living together the property is OUR'S likewise myself. But the one she bought before I marry her that one is left for her what she want to do with it she can give to her family, keep it for herself turn it to our family properly it left for her.

Read the post slowly
Re: If A Woman Buys A Property In The Name Of Her Husband, It Does Not Belong To Him by Camelot65: 9:44am On Apr 18, 2022
If a man buys a property in his wife's name, it's considered as a gift but not in the case where a woman buys in the husband's name? Tell me something.

Everybody should buy properties in his/her name abeg.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: If A Woman Buys A Property In The Name Of Her Husband, It Does Not Belong To Him by bukatyne(f): 11:40am On Apr 18, 2022
Interesting
Re: If A Woman Buys A Property In The Name Of Her Husband, It Does Not Belong To Him by Hamachi(f): 12:50pm On Apr 19, 2022
undecided
Babaken:

Re: If A Woman Buys A Property In The Name Of Her Husband, It Does Not Belong To Him by linasparkle(f): 8:27am On Apr 28, 2022
Pascopele:
Read the post slowly

Hey, your attention is needed

1 Like

Re: If A Woman Buys A Property In The Name Of Her Husband, It Does Not Belong To Him by ImaIma1(f): 12:21pm On Apr 28, 2022
Especially for those men who want to bully their wives out of the property or force their wives to put their name, the law is there to protect.

2 Likes

Re: If A Woman Buys A Property In The Name Of Her Husband, It Does Not Belong To Him by socialmediaman: 1:16pm On Apr 28, 2022
This is true but most people may not understand what trust means so let me break it down in lay man terms.

In simple terms, if a wife gives her husband something on Trust, it means she’s giving it to him so he can use it to take care of her or both of them (husband included). It’s the same way uncles would “dash” us money those days and we give those money to our parents on Trust. Yes we’re authorizing them to use the money for the benefit of us (us here sometimes can mean us and them included)

This makes perfect sense because ideally, the man takes care of the wife, so when she brings in resources, she can hand it to him on trust, for the benefit of the family.

For further reference, check the definition of trust based on the Appeal Court verdict on M. A. JOLUGBO & ANOR v. MRS O. A. AINA & ANOR (2016)
https://lawcarenigeria.com/m-a-jolugbo-anor-v-mrs-o-a-aina-anor-2016/
Re: If A Woman Buys A Property In The Name Of Her Husband, It Does Not Belong To Him by Pascopele: 5:29am On Apr 29, 2022
linasparkle:

Hey, your attention is needed
where?
Re: If A Woman Buys A Property In The Name Of Her Husband, It Does Not Belong To Him by Dtruthspeaker: 3:46pm On Apr 29, 2022
socialmediaman:
This is true but most people may not understand what trust means so let me break it down in lay man terms.

In simple terms, if a wife gives her husband something on Trust, it means she’s giving it to him so he can use it to take care of her or both of them (husband included). It’s the same way uncles would “dash” us money those days and we give those money to our parents on Trust. Yes we’re authorizing them to use the money for the benefit of us (us here sometimes can mean us and them included)

This makes perfect sense because ideally, the man takes care of the wife, so when she brings in resources, she can hand it to him on trust, for the benefit of the family.

For further reference, check the definition of trust based on the Appeal Court verdict on M. A. JOLUGBO & ANOR v. MRS O. A. AINA & ANOR (2016)
https://lawcarenigeria.com/m-a-jolugbo-anor-v-mrs-o-a-aina-anor-2016/

This is where intention/consent rules which is based on the fact that it is known that women do not give absolutely, exactly like Tonto Dike taken back the car she once bought for her previous husband.

2 Likes

Re: If A Woman Buys A Property In The Name Of Her Husband, It Does Not Belong To Him by LadyRosa(f): 6:29pm On Apr 29, 2022
My husband won't know I have a property to start with.All the property in my kids name.

2 Likes

Re: If A Woman Buys A Property In The Name Of Her Husband, It Does Not Belong To Him by ZIMDRILL(m): 8:41pm On Apr 29, 2022
Pascopele:
Following the post on this thread https://www.nairaland.com/7080619/father-dragging-moms-property-me

This may be useful for some of us buying properties. It is a court verdict

IF A WOMAN BUYS A PROPERTY IN THE NAME OF HER HUSBAND, IT DOES NOT BELONG TO HIM.

Where a woman buys a property in the name of her husband, it does not belong to him. Rather, the husband is holding the property in trust (as a guardian, to help her keep the property) for his wife. However, where a husband buys a property in the name of his wife, the property belongs to the wife, and it is seen as a gift from him to her.

This was what the Court said in JOLUGBO & ANOR v. AINA & ANOR (2016) LPELR - 40352 (CA) (Pp 27 - 29 Paras A - D) where Hon. Justice Amina Adamu Augue JCA (as she then was) said that: "The law also makes a distinction between the husband and the wife - when a wife buys a property, and conveys it in the name of her husband, there is no presumption of advancement in favour of her husband; he holds in trust for his wife.

However, if the husband purchases a property in his wife's name, this is prima facie a gift to her - see Silver v. Silver (1958) 1 All E. R.523." Thus, if a man does not desire to gift his wife a property, it should be bought in his name or in the joint names of himself and his wife. Please share widely among family, friends, colleagues and associates.

Thank you.

Barr Pasco �

there is No one stamp fits all
cases each case is dealt with it its own merits

1 Like

Re: If A Woman Buys A Property In The Name Of Her Husband, It Does Not Belong To Him by Pascopele: 6:37am On Apr 30, 2022
shocked
LadyRosa:
My husband won't know I have a property to start with.All the property in my kids name.
Re: If A Woman Buys A Property In The Name Of Her Husband, It Does Not Belong To Him by Pascopele: 6:46am On Apr 30, 2022
ZIMDRILL:

there is No one stamp fits all
cases each case is dealt with it its own merits
Okay
Re: If A Woman Buys A Property In The Name Of Her Husband, It Does Not Belong To Him by olenyi: 8:46am On Apr 30, 2022
Dtruthspeaker:

This is where intention/consent rules which is based on the fact that it is known that women do not give absolutely, exactly like Tonto Dike taken back the car she once bought for her previous husband.

The guy first took back the car he bought for her before she started fighting to get hers back.

Warm regards.
Re: If A Woman Buys A Property In The Name Of Her Husband, It Does Not Belong To Him by muheeb01(m): 9:03am On Apr 30, 2022
This life no favour man at all oo....

1 Like

Re: If A Woman Buys A Property In The Name Of Her Husband, It Does Not Belong To Him by Hamachi(f): 10:54am On Apr 30, 2022
undecided
muheeb01:
This life no favour man at all oo....
Re: If A Woman Buys A Property In The Name Of Her Husband, It Does Not Belong To Him by Dtruthspeaker: 2:40pm On Apr 30, 2022
olenyi:

The guy first took back the car he bought for her before she started fighting to get hers back.

Warm regards.

Okay! Pleasant Regards
Re: If A Woman Buys A Property In The Name Of Her Husband, It Does Not Belong To Him by Pascopele: 5:53pm On May 11, 2022
cheesy
Dtruthspeaker:

Okay! Pleasant Regards

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Women And Children: Condemned To Silence / What Wil U Do If U Husband Is Sleepn Wt Ur Mother Or Ur Father Sleepn Wt Ur Wife / What Does It Mean When You Dream Especially When It's Recurrent?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.