Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,437 members, 7,812,303 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:23 AM

My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me (48333 Views)

My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved / Help: My Father Is Killing My Mom Gradually / My Friend's Father Is A Ghost!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by GraciousGod190: 8:27pm On Apr 15, 2022
As much as I hate bringing this here, I need advice on ways to go about this..is it right for a father to drag his wife wealth with his son, knowing fully well, the son is now a grown man.

My mom left us with lot of properties she acquired as inheritance from her father and mother side, been the only surviving child, while she was still around some relatives wanted to grab some of it...claiming she's a woman...but seeing she had a grown up son which was me they had to maintain and stay on their lane... besides my mom was never the sluggish type.

Now, my dad is trying to drag this property with me, saying he wants to sell some of the land without even informing me... he his claiming some of house rents and lavishing it on frivolities anyhow.

Yes he's my father, he trained me up to this stage that I am, but by right I thought Those properties are mine already.since it's inheritance that's supposed to be passed down to her offsprings.....if am wrong please someone should tell me.

35 Likes 10 Shares

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by GraciousGod190: 8:28pm On Apr 15, 2022
Note: I own my own personal house, I build with my money..am not a small boy...so those abusing am fighting over parental inheritance are getting it wrong

100 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by KiNg0G: 8:28pm On Apr 15, 2022
This is serious, according to bible na papa right since him and your mama na one.

But normal common sense, your papa nor supposed drag your mama property with you na grin grin grin

Him supposed to dey hustle to die live better one for you...

Things dey happen for this life...o chai

263 Likes 10 Shares

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by LoveNbeloved(f): 8:31pm On Apr 15, 2022
lipsrsealed
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by immortalcrown(m): 8:31pm On Apr 15, 2022
Your house is not in order, both left and right. Even your mother's siblings dragged her things with you. May God protect you. This is all I can say now.

But by right, your father is most entitled to your mother and her property, just as you will be most entitled to your wife and your wife's property.

Qatar2022:
Even when he want to sell those properties? Shut up please
Shut up too. The father trying to sell the property is bad. But it does not make him less entitled to the property, as long as the property was acquired by his wife. Your logic is like telling a man to pack out of his own house because he keeps the house dirty. The man abusing his right as a husband and father does not justify the son depriving the father of the father's right. The poster himself should look forward to inheriting and managing his own wife's property. Your father is more entitled to your mother than you are to your mother. You are more entitled to your wife than your father is entitled to your wife. If the poster hates his father's behaviour, the poster should advise the father. If the father rejects the advice, the poster should focus on himself and ensure he does not treat his own children the way his father treats him. Saying the poster has the right to drag the property with the father is like saying the poster has the right to beat up the father if the matter results in physical violence.

wirinet:
False. If your mother did not will her property to her husband, he cannot claim it. A husband (as well as other members of the wife's family) can only fight for his wife's family if she died inter state. Then customs and traditions will come in to settle property sharing. At OP. If you don't want your father to exhibit any property you legally inherited from your mother, contact a competent lawyer. He will first issue a cease and desist letter to your father and if he does not obey, institute legal proceedings. But then, you should be prepared for the backlash from him and his side of the family. They will first blackmail you and then disown you.
Did you read the post? Does any part of the post tell you the mother willed the property to the poster?

207 Likes 14 Shares

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by GraciousGod190: 8:34pm On Apr 15, 2022
immortalcrown:
Your house is not in order. This is all I can say now.

But by right, your father is most entitled to your mother and her property, just as you will be most entitled to your wife's property.

How?

Really

I don't agree at all

If I wasn't born, do you think those property would be accessible to him?
Because he married my mother.
It would have been passed down to the closest relative of my mother kindreds

59 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Kobojunkie: 8:36pm On Apr 15, 2022
GraciousGod190:
Yes he's my father, he trained me up to this stage that I am, but by right Those properties are mine already....if am wrong please someone should tell me.
Get yourself a good lawyer and stand your ground. Don't allow any of the effort your mother made to ensure the property ended up in your hands go to waste. undecided

75 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Kobojunkie: 8:37pm On Apr 15, 2022
KiNg0G:
This is serious, according to bible na papa right since him and your mama na one.
But normal common sense, your papa nor supposed drag your mama property with you na grin grin grin

Him supposed to dey hustle to die live better one for you...
Things dey happen for this life...o chai
Stop lying, using God as if your toy! undecided

22 Likes

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Kobojunkie: 8:40pm On Apr 15, 2022
GraciousGod190:
How?
Really
I don't agree at all
If I wasn't born, do you think those property would be accessible to him?
Because he married my mother.
It would have been passed down to the closest relative of mother kindreds
A woman is allowed to own her own property even in Nigeria... and since your mother bequeathed her property to you, your father has no right to touch any of it unless he can legally prove ownership was handed him by your mother instead. undecided

Don't let anyone deceive you with lies.. stand your ground. Get a good lawyer and don't let your father waste what belongs to you abeg! undecided

119 Likes 8 Shares

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by KiNg0G: 8:40pm On Apr 15, 2022
Kobojunkie:
Stop lying, using God as if your toy! undecided
okay, junkie

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by BRATISLAVA: 8:41pm On Apr 15, 2022
Men!

Lol.

2 Likes

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by BRATISLAVA: 8:42pm On Apr 15, 2022
Kobojunkie:
A woman is allowed to own her own property even in Nigeria... and since your mother bequeathed her property to your, your father has no right to touch any of it unless he can legally prove ownership was handed him by your mother instead. undecided

Don't let anyone deceive you with lies.. stand your ground. Get a good lawyer and don't let your father waste what belongs to you abeg! undecided

According to Nigerians laws, it belongs to his father now. Unless he decides to teach the man a lesson.

37 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by bjprodint1: 8:44pm On Apr 15, 2022
Are u ur mom's next of kin?dont u av other siblings cos it seems u are d only one fighting 4 properties.uncle,go and hustle so dat u can leave properties for ur wife.or is it ur mom's properties u want 2 leave 4 ur wife and kids?

44 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Mindlog: 8:46pm On Apr 15, 2022
GraciousGod190:
As much as I hate bringing this here, I need advice on ways to go about this..is it right for a father to drag his wife wealth with his son, knowing fully well, the son is now a grown man.

My mom left us with lot of properties she acquired as inheritance from her father and mother side, been the only surviving child, while she was still around some relatives wanted to grab some of it...claiming she's a woman...but seeing she had a grown up son which was me they had to maintain and stay on their lane... besides my mom was never the sluggish type.

Now, my dad is trying to drag this property with me, saying he wants to sell some of the land without even informing me... he his claiming some of house rents and lavishing it on frivolities anyhow.

Yes he's my father, he trained me up to this stage that I am, but by right Those properties are mine already....if am wrong please someone should tell me.

Did your mother leave a will behind?

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by GraciousGod190: 8:49pm On Apr 15, 2022
bjprodint1:
Are u ur mom's next of kin?dont u av other siblings cos it seems u are d only one fighting 4 properties.uncle,go and hustle so dat u can leave properties for ur wife.or is it ur mom's properties u want 2 leave 4 ur wife and kids?
When issues like this are raised, people like you who don't have anything meaningful to contribute other than to abuse will start creeping out from your swampy holes... like bush rats in mangrove deserts.

For your info, I own 2 apartments already... personal I build with my money...not everyone is as lazy as your father.

168 Likes 15 Shares

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by GraciousGod190: 8:50pm On Apr 15, 2022
Mindlog:

Did your mother leave a will behind?
no will

2 Likes

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Kobojunkie: 8:50pm On Apr 15, 2022
BRATISLAVA:
According to Nigerians laws, it belongs to his father now. Unless he decides to teach the man a lesson.
No! The Married Women's Property Act of 1882 in Nigeria allows for women to have and keep property of their own in marriage. undecided

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Kobojunkie: 8:53pm On Apr 15, 2022
GraciousGod190:
no will
Oh no! Get a good lawyer cause you will need one.. undecided

12 Likes

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by BRATISLAVA: 8:53pm On Apr 15, 2022
Kobojunkie:
No! The Married Women's Property Act of 1882 in Nigeria allows for women to have and keep property of their own in marriage. undecided

In marriage. Are they still in marriage?

Is the mother dead or alive? If the former, her property belongs to her husband. Unless she bequeathed it to the son. And you and I know that Nigerians believe they are immortal, so that never comes up.

35 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by DigitalStepdad: 8:54pm On Apr 15, 2022
Wetin person no go hia for nigeria self...

But as a man I will be ashamed to fight for my wife's properties with my children unless...

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Kobojunkie: 8:55pm On Apr 15, 2022
BRATISLAVA:

In marriage. Are they still in marriage?

Is the mother dead or alive? If the former, her property belongs to her husband.
And you and I know that Nigerians believe they are immortal, so that never comes up.
From the claims made in the OP, I assumed the properties were directly bequeathed to him by his mother before her death. undecided

I don't understand why any married individual with kids can exist without a will. It is wickedness. undecided

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by BRATISLAVA: 8:56pm On Apr 15, 2022
GraciousGod190:

When issues like this are raised, people like you who don't have anything meaningful to contribute other than to abuse will start creeping out from your swampy holes... like bush rats in mangrove deserts.

For your info, I own 2 apartments already... personal I build with my money...not everyone is as lazy as your father.

!!!

1 Like

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by bjprodint1: 8:56pm On Apr 15, 2022
Kobojunkie:
A woman is allowed to own her own property even in Nigeria... and since your mother bequeathed her property to your, your father has no right to touch any of it unless he can legally prove ownership was handed him by your mother instead. undecided

Op said,his mom left"us"with a lot of properties.he never said his mom left him with d properties.he should just go and calmly talk 2 his dad instead of attracting curse on himself.plenty people don die because of land matter.

73 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by pocohantas(f): 8:56pm On Apr 15, 2022
The problem here is, I suspect your parents never had a peaceful marriage. Probably your dad was abusive in one or two ways, hence your willingness to drag property with him. You should get a lawyer.

Someone just said children take over inherited properties. Lucky you!

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by BRATISLAVA: 8:57pm On Apr 15, 2022
Kobojunkie:
From the claims made in the OP, I assumed the properties were directly bequeathed to him by his mother before her death. undecided

When have you known Nigerians to believe they aren't immortal?

His father owns the property. Too bad for him. Unless he decides to teach the man a lesson. That's the law.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Kobojunkie: 8:58pm On Apr 15, 2022
bjprodint1:
Op said,his mom left"us"with a lot of properties.he never said his mom left him with d properties.he should just go and calmly talk 2 his dad instead of attracting curse on himself.plenty people don die because of land matter.
If that is the case, the mother messed up big time! undecided

2 Likes

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Kobojunkie: 9:00pm On Apr 15, 2022
BRATISLAVA:
When have you known Nigerians to believe they aren't immortal?

His father owns the property. Too bad for him. Unless he decides to teach the man a lesson. That's the law.
Na the mama cause am anyways. So this man has to now hope the father collapses before everything is gone. Na wa oo! undecided
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by simpleseyi: 9:01pm On Apr 15, 2022
GraciousGod190:

Yes he's my father, he trained me up to this stage that I am, but by right I thought Those properties are mine already....if am wrong please someone should tell me.

You are a thief. Ole ni e. The properties belong to your father, not you prodigal son.

If the properties were originally your father's properties, your mum will claim them as her own. It should be same now that the properties are originally your mum's

124 Likes 10 Shares

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by bjprodint1: 9:01pm On Apr 15, 2022
GraciousGod190:

Congratulations!my opinion pain am.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Mindlog: 9:02pm On Apr 15, 2022
GraciousGod190:
no will

As long as your mother's marriage to your father was legally recognized, him being the surviving spouse, you and your siblings will all be beneficiaries.

Get a lawyer involved.

8 Likes

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by 2goodbobo(m): 9:03pm On Apr 15, 2022
Your Father has the right to sell or claim the properties because he was Her Husband.

57 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by simpleseyi: 9:06pm On Apr 15, 2022
GraciousGod190:

Just the same way you are fighting your father for properties, you are also fighting anybody that has s contrary opinion to your prodigality

78 Likes 4 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (23) (Reply)

Man Who Rescued Baby Girl Dumped By Road Side In Enugu Shares Her New Photo / Nigerian Man Renounces His Position As First Son In The Family, Gives Reasons / My Sister Is Missing (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.