Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,719 members, 7,862,282 topics. Date: Sunday, 16 June 2024 at 01:07 PM

Casket-carrying Protesters Lay Siege To Shell Facility In Bayelsa - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Casket-carrying Protesters Lay Siege To Shell Facility In Bayelsa (5268 Views)

Siege To Dasuki’s Home: AGF Appears In Court Today. / Siege To Kashamu’s Residence Within Confines Of The Law – AGF / Tropicana Shopping Mall: Akpabio Opens N300 Million Facility In Uyo (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Casket-carrying Protesters Lay Siege To Shell Facility In Bayelsa by texazzpete(m): 11:26am On Jul 09, 2011
Ibime:

There's nothing objective or realistic about the crap Texazzpete is spewing here. Our communities have been kind enough to provide his like with a living at our own detriment, yet he is quick to dismiss our communities as deserving of the treatment they receive.

His argument about communities holding their LGA and State Government is a Nationwide argument. Roichi made a salient and valid point by asking him what his own LGA in Edo State had contributed to his community.

Nobody is absolving Niger Delta leaders of corruption. They are as corrupt as the system allows. In rebuttal to his point, the answer simply is that the Federal Government's lax attitude to corruption is wholly responsible for misuse of public funds. Why should the poor community be blamed for their leaders ineptitude when those with jurisdiction over their leaders (Federal Government, EFCC) are not interested in ensuring that their leaders are accountable.

The Niger Delta is just a microcosm of Nigeria. Where we start, the rest of Nigeria will inevitably follow. Every part of the country is now agitating, kidnapping, blowing up bombs etc. When we started, they said those lazy fishermen have come again. We are simply a leading indicator of social degredation in Naija. Those who say "Niger Delta deserve their leaders" are the same ones who said "Niger Delta only know how to kidnap". Now ask them whether kidnapping hasn't assumed even greater dimensions in each of their respective localities.

As for those saying that oil coys do not strike deals with local communities, they are not privvy to what happens on ground. Ask any King or local chief how many deals are struck with oil coys or how much remittance is paid to the King monthly. Long before PIB was mooted, oil coys have been paying each and every Amanyanabo in whichever Kingdom they operate. It is an admission of mea culpa that the initial deals struck with the Government in the 1950s were completely to the detriment of the local people who bare the brunt of oil exploration on the Nations behalf.

Chief, let's strip sentiment out of this. My position is not restricted to the Niger Delta alone, I personally feel the Nigerian masses are deserving of the suffering they receive and will receive due to their foolishness in returning the evil PDP back to power.
However, your stance that corruption is not restricted to the ND alone is an unfortunate one. When we focus on a disaster area, we need to ensure that the much needed relief funds are well used. Even now we are all about to suffer for the deliberate diversion of funds and effort towards education for the Northern youths.

Even if the Oil companies devote 10% of their profits to handing out goodies to the Niger Delta, it still will not be enough, And it still will be totally unjust. Taxes, afterall, are paid to both the state and the federal governments. The money trickling down to the state and local government level is enough to take great strides in fixing the ND. Your people MUST pay more focus to fighting corruption and holding their leaders responsible.

Finally, I want your comment on which party is supposed to build roads, provide water and schools for the ND people.
Re: Casket-carrying Protesters Lay Siege To Shell Facility In Bayelsa by violent(m): 4:04pm On Jul 09, 2011
So you define what sort of projects Oil companies are to embark on in an underdeveloped country? How dull are you? Support for people with terminal diseases I'm LMAO. When their business in these communities destroys livelihood, pollutes water and farmland, and is a health risk. You're truly a doofus that is alienated from actual ground experience in the Delta. Please lets discuss something else. I'm done with discussing ND related issue with people that rely on google for source of information.

Meanwhile if you had gone through the comments before hitting your keys, you would have seen that my response was to a Niger Delta brother misrepresenting a complex issue by throwing the blame on LGAs. If blames were to be apportioned LGAs would appear at the lower end of the list. Once again go to bed and save the rest of your brain.

Nigeria is not an underdeveloped country you ídiot!

I wouldn't even bother putting up arguments with you, GAR3TH already did justice to that side of things, if you have any common sense, you should have learnt a thing or two by now.
Re: Casket-carrying Protesters Lay Siege To Shell Facility In Bayelsa by Demdem(m): 4:31pm On Jul 10, 2011
rolchi:

Yes, it is sentiments. I am never saying that our leaders should not be held accountable. But, good friends, it takes so much to build a road in the ND. Like you said you visited Bayelsa State, how much do you think it costs to build that road from Mbiama junction to Yenagoa? Just to give you an idea, imagine that those houses by the left and right of those house are almost under the road. It means that the road was sand-filled to that height! You only visited Yenagoa but have you taken time to visit the villages off Yenagoa? How much does it cost to travel on Speed Boat for a journey of an Hour compare that with the cost of traveling from PHC to YNG.

I may not have visited many villages in Bayelsa state but believe me that i have for Rivers state and the story seems to be the same. its true that projects generally are more expensive in ND states when compared to other states because of the kind of terrain found here and actually its not news any longer. That explains why these states are being given more money from the Fg allocation + 13%derivation (other states dont av such) + NDDC (other states dont have such) + Ministry of ND (other states dont have such) + ND states gets to Tax these companies heavily (other states dont have such privilege). So you see my dear, there is no reason why these states shouldn't have enough funds to cater for the needs of the people. These states arent starved of funds, instead its the people that is really the problem.

I agree that our leaders are corrupt, but it is a Nigerian Problem and not a ND Problem. Or how else do you explain Ogun State, Oyo State, Zamfara State, Kogi State and all the rest where their erstwhile governors are undergoing trials for corruption.

its true also that corruption is a Nigerian problem however that shouldn't be an excuse to do what is expected. that is why a region like SW took the bull by the horn in the last election and booted out whom they think was their nemesis. To a very large extent, Ogun and Oyo shouldnt (at least for now) be in that list at all. however, the same cant be said about this region, its either the people seems to be happy with the status quo 9which i doubt) or they simply dont have the balls to do the right thing.

Now, the people do not know the NASS or the FG, they know and see Shell and Shell sees and knows the FG. Let Shell task the FG to bring light to the people, simple clinics to these people and portable water to the people.

i do not agree with you on this totally. They may not know the FG but they surely know their representatives, their LG chairmen, Councillors and even governors and assembly men. what have the people done so far to keep these people accountable? any protest against them like the ones being done for shell? Believe me, enormous funds are in the hands of these ones to better their lives. its not shell's responsibility to ask the govt to provide amenities for his people. Shell isn't UN however Shell has a measure of social responsibility to cater for the lives of the people especially where they are operating.

Again, I tell you, come, live with us here in the bush, in the very creeks, stay with us for a week, a month or even up to six months and your understanding of these place, ND will be broadened.

Again if the aim is to feel the pains of the people living there, i honestly dont think its necessary. already, i did say i visit those places and the conditions of living is really deplorable. thats a fact no doubt.
Re: Casket-carrying Protesters Lay Siege To Shell Facility In Bayelsa by kodewrita(m): 4:44pm On Jul 10, 2011
Only in nigeria will you see oil companies providing power.

That is not their core competence. They are to extract oil. c'est fini.

Idiots know that their kinsman IS THE PRESIDENT OF THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA and not A SINGLE BRA[/b]IN can think of contacting [b]THEIR KINSMAN to come and POWER HIS OWN VILLAGE.

And Nigerians also think it is perfectly logical to place stress on companies like Shell so they can cry to the government. That is so stupid that I cant even think of a proper reply.

CSR is not governance. Shell do not rule you. Their CEOs were not elected by you and they are 1st and foremost accountable to their shareholdrs.

The ones who are accountable to you, should take the lead. Where are their LG chairmen, Reps and Senators? Where's their governor?
Re: Casket-carrying Protesters Lay Siege To Shell Facility In Bayelsa by tiebe: 10:13pm On Jul 11, 2011
Lol! doofos is the reigning word abi?

an oil company is not supposed 2 provide basic amenities 4 its host communities, it supposed 2 do extra on top of wetin government don already provide. this means that government must do its work first

unfortunately for this community, and indeed d whole of nigeria, shell = government

I'm not saying shell is blameless, far from it. but please, direct all your blame 2 d government, if a nation's government does not value its people, why should a profit seeking company do better?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Eleni Gabre-madhin Vs. Okonjo Iweala / Ondo Employs 8,000 Youths In Fadama Programme / IGBO SCHOLAR DISGRACES Femi Fani Kayode

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.