Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,222 members, 7,815,276 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:03 AM

U.k Immigration Is The Most Heartless - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.k Immigration Is The Most Heartless (1660 Views)

The Nigeria Immigration Deports 6 British Citizens / Bizarre Illegal Immigration Techniques: How People And Drugs Are Smuggled. / Want To Give Birth In U.k Axis: Need Help On Hospital (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

U.k Immigration Is The Most Heartless by naylove(m): 6:20pm On Jul 07, 2011
Recently, a friend of mine left for the U.k on a tourist visa. on landing at Heathrow- she was denied access into the Uk on the ground that She had excess luggage and that she was going to sell some items there.
The traveller pleaded with them that she was not doing anything of such and even gave them the option of destroying the supposed items she was alleged to want to sell. ( mind you - these are not illegal items)
She was deported back to Nigeria the next day. They had no human feelings nor even sympathy for the little baby she traveled with.
GRANTED THAT SHE MAY HAVE EXCESS BAGGAGE-
THAT SHE MAY NOT BE IN POSSESSION OF THOSE ITEMS IF SHE WERE TRULY A TOURIST
I honestly ask myself if they would be treated the same way here.
Hardly, and lets put aside the issue of corruption that with the exchange of some pound sterling notes, they would be allowed to enter the country.
i think we are just accomodating .

please here's what i'd like to know
what form of redress or compensation can such a person seek? if any
Re: U.k Immigration Is The Most Heartless by obowunmi(m): 6:24pm On Jul 07, 2011
Why are they heartless -- why can't you people stay in your country.
Re: U.k Immigration Is The Most Heartless by claremont(m): 6:38pm On Jul 07, 2011
naylove:

Recently, a friend of mine left for the U.k on a tourist visa. on landing at Heathrow- she was denied access into the Uk on the ground that She had excess luggage and that she was going to sell some items there.
The traveller pleaded with them that she was not doing anything of such and even gave them the option of destroying the supposed items she was alleged to want to sell. ( mind you - these are not illegal items)
She was deported back to Nigeria the next day. They had no human feelings nor even sympathy for the little baby she traveled with.
GRANTED THAT SHE MAY HAVE EXCESS BAGGAGE-
THAT SHE MAY NOT BE IN POSSESSION OF THOSE ITEMS IF SHE WERE TRULY A TOURIST
I honestly ask myself if they would be treated the same way here.
Hardly, and lets put aside the issue of corruption that with the exchange of some pound sterling notes, they would be allowed to enter the country.
i think we are just accomodating .

please here's what i'd like to know
what form of redress or compensation can such a person seek? if any

What "items" did she carry? I don't think this is the full story of what transpired, how can someone be deported just because she had excess luggage? In my opinion, your friend is economical with the truth.
Re: U.k Immigration Is The Most Heartless by claremont(m): 6:38pm On Jul 07, 2011
obowunmi:

Why are they heartless -- why can't you people stay in your country.

Who are the "you people" you are referring to?
Re: U.k Immigration Is The Most Heartless by naylove(m): 6:43pm On Jul 07, 2011
the items she carried were HOME MOVIES NUMBERING LIKE 80.
Re: U.k Immigration Is The Most Heartless by naylove(m): 6:44pm On Jul 07, 2011
@ clermont- reading back through my post, i cant see anywhere i mentioned "you people"
Re: U.k Immigration Is The Most Heartless by naylove(m): 6:46pm On Jul 07, 2011
sorry i mistyped yout name. claremont and not clermont.
Re: U.k Immigration Is The Most Heartless by Ibomade1: 6:52pm On Jul 07, 2011
naylove:

the items she carried were HOME MOVIES NUMBERING LIKE 80.

Well there is no such law that I am aware of that prevents people from bringing in movies that they may like to watch while on holiday. It will be strange for me to be turned back at JFK because I have dozens of movies in my bag.

@Poster try and talk to your friend again. Maybe she will be willing to shed more light on what really transpired.
Re: U.k Immigration Is The Most Heartless by claremont(m): 6:54pm On Jul 07, 2011
naylove:

@ clermont- reading back through my post, i cant see anywhere i mentioned "you people"

I was referring to "obowunmi".
Re: U.k Immigration Is The Most Heartless by denzel2009: 6:58pm On Jul 07, 2011
How can you claim you are a tourist and bring along 80 home videos? Do you want to be watching Jenifa on the London eye? You gave them ammo jare. Moreover, they might think your friend is the Nigerian version of the chinko peeps that sell those pirated dvds all over London.
Re: U.k Immigration Is The Most Heartless by claremont(m): 7:18pm On Jul 07, 2011
@Poster: So your friend came to the UK on a tourist visa, apparently with an intention to sell home video DVDs at a profit? I believe that is the true story of the event that took place, and she deservedly got booted out. She has become a part of the statistic of those persons who have tainted the image of Nigeria abroad; why oh why, would a visitor to a country travel with 80 home video DVDs if it's not to sell them .
Re: U.k Immigration Is The Most Heartless by justwise(m): 7:20pm On Jul 07, 2011
naylove:

the items she carried were HOME MOVIES  NUMBERING LIKE 80.

That is enough reason to get deported, if you are found with even CV when visiting the UK as a tourist ur chances of entry is very slim.
Re: U.k Immigration Is The Most Heartless by busybody20: 7:58pm On Jul 07, 2011
that's what people like( BImbo) has caused http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3673011/Nigerian-mum-Bimbo-Ayelabola-flew-into-Britain-and-had-quins-on-the-NHS.html

Pele o grin

it's a shame dat genuinue visitors will be affected henceforth
Re: U.k Immigration Is The Most Heartless by EuroMeko(m): 8:15pm On Jul 07, 2011
Heartless is perhaps a heavy word to have used.

Listen, when your friend applied for the visa i am certain she was informed that the arrival immigration officer still has to determine if she will be allowed entry. Right?

The British immigration officer has only one thing on his mind, to protect the British empire from scourge of illegal immigrants and it seems that he did his job if you look at the evidence.

When I travel, I usually wrap all gifts and label them with the name of the recipient.
Re: U.k Immigration Is The Most Heartless by reindeer: 8:56pm On Jul 07, 2011
@ OP
Your friend may have been a little economical with the truth but no problem sha, We will learn the truth soon enough on border force.

(1) (Reply)

Please Come In And Give Me Your Opinion / PHOTOS: Horror Car Accident Claims 22 Lives On Koko-yauri Road, Kebbi State / How To Get From Yaba To Oregun And Then To Egbeda

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.