Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,802 members, 7,810,090 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:31 PM

Will You Leave Anything For Your Kids After Dying? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Will You Leave Anything For Your Kids After Dying? (2009 Views)

Ladies ; Would You leave Your Husband In A Place Like This (photo) / How Long To Wait To Have Kids After Marriage? / Tragedy: Man Buries Five Kids After Tragic Fire Accident. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Will You Leave Anything For Your Kids After Dying? by oloriooko(m): 1:20pm On Feb 03, 2012
Are you planning to leave stuff for your kids after you die? i ask this cos i witnessed a pathetic case.

this modest family has 4 kids but the parents died within 2 years internal with the first born at 28yrs. meanwhile, the parents left behind properties which these kids lavished without being able to account for anything. the threw parties which had never been done before in their lives, they bought expensive furniture, renovated the house at exhorbitant price, stopped cooking and started eating out which eventually made them broke.

these kids could not handle the wealth apparently, so what is the essense of leaving stuff for the kids. i think one should take care of oneself, take vacations, enjoy yourself with your family instead of stacking stuff for some kids that can change to become something else.

i think life is meant for enjoyment.
Re: Will You Leave Anything For Your Kids After Dying? by Acidosis(m): 1:24pm On Feb 03, 2012
do you want to take all you have to heaven?
Re: Will You Leave Anything For Your Kids After Dying? by oloriooko(m): 1:53pm On Feb 03, 2012
what i am saying is that let your kids work to earn what they have instead of relying on the inheritance. its obvious that these kids have no value for what their parents left behind and i think the parents too denied themselves of many things never thinking death could come so early.

so whatever you have now enjoy it but you can give your kids a good headstart in life and do not give them any impression that you have something in the waiting for them.

1 Like

Re: Will You Leave Anything For Your Kids After Dying? by slimyem: 2:05pm On Feb 03, 2012
i agree with the op here.
The best gift you can give to a child is his/her independence especially through education (all forms).
Properties and wills tend to create a lot of issues for the children after their parents are gone and it sometimes breaks the bond between siblings.
I'd rather use my properties as a goodwill gesture while here on earth or donate to charity when i'm gone instead of giving my children a gift that'd make them underutilze the values i brought them up with.
Re: Will You Leave Anything For Your Kids After Dying? by Acidosis(m): 2:34pm On Feb 03, 2012
^ ^ you dont mean it! what if you become the first lady of this country ?

I understand your point, but with situation of things in Nigeria, you dare not 'throw' your wards out like that. utilizing the wealth or underutilizing is in your hands. If they get the best training, I believe they'll maximize the resources
Re: Will You Leave Anything For Your Kids After Dying? by oloriooko(m): 3:28pm On Feb 03, 2012
@ slimyem
The best gift you can give to a child is his/her independence especially through education (all forms).
very true.

Properties and wills tend to create a lot of issues for the children after their parents are gone and it sometimes breaks the bond between siblings.
i have witnessed this cause serious crack in a family one thought was tightly bonded.
Re: Will You Leave Anything For Your Kids After Dying? by 2mch(m): 6:23pm On Feb 03, 2012
The only thing i owe them is a good education. Everything else is just a bonus that they will receive at 30 to manage themselves. cool. If they fucx that up, well i am only an earthly father. grin cheesy. As soon as they are born they get their inheritance in their name, but management comes after 30 and they have acquired satisfactory education plus responsibility.
Re: Will You Leave Anything For Your Kids After Dying? by Nobody: 8:30pm On Feb 03, 2012
@OP
the catch is to TEACH your kids about being RESPONSIBLE, and only leave them your wealth, if you KNOW they are. giving anything to an irresponsible person is not only wrong but also stoopid.
also, if you are not 100% about your kids, then you can use a trust to make sure that everything you leave them is taken care of properly!
Re: Will You Leave Anything For Your Kids After Dying? by OmoPastor(m): 8:44pm On Feb 03, 2012
@ mrbrownjay
i cannot agree less, you hit the nail on the head.
Re: Will You Leave Anything For Your Kids After Dying? by agiboma(f): 8:46pm On Feb 03, 2012
@op i am leaving everything i got for my son, i will just teach him how to manage money in a responsible way
Re: Will You Leave Anything For Your Kids After Dying? by ronkebp(f): 8:48pm On Feb 03, 2012
I really don't know how you would leave stuff for your kids after you die, i was thinking it is usually before? cool cool
Re: Will You Leave Anything For Your Kids After Dying? by ronkebp(f): 8:49pm On Feb 03, 2012
agiboma:

@op i am leaving everything i got for my son, i will just teach him how to manage money in a responsible way

Is it only one child you want to have.? smiley smiley smiley
Re: Will You Leave Anything For Your Kids After Dying? by OmoPastor(m): 8:59pm On Feb 03, 2012
@ronkebp
Is it only one child you want to have
how many kids are you planning to have in life
Re: Will You Leave Anything For Your Kids After Dying? by oloriooko(m): 9:14pm On Feb 03, 2012
it is your responsibility as a parent to raise your child well in life but its the child's responsibility to make use of the upbringing.
Re: Will You Leave Anything For Your Kids After Dying? by OmoPastor(m): 10:09pm On Feb 03, 2012
i think the best inheritance you can give a child is the necessary training he gets from the parent. any other thing will not stay with him for ever.
Re: Will You Leave Anything For Your Kids After Dying? by ronkebp(f): 10:31pm On Feb 03, 2012
OmoPastor:

@ronkebphow many kids are you planning to have in life

6 beautiful Children by God's Grace.
Re: Will You Leave Anything For Your Kids After Dying? by erimma86(f): 10:42pm On Feb 03, 2012
@ oloriooko,wat aa sweet a very intresting topic.men y suffer in vain why ur children will waste away a wealt
Re: Will You Leave Anything For Your Kids After Dying? by moremi2008(m): 2:53am On Feb 04, 2012
The majority of those posting in this thread don't have a single pot to piss in and they are making plans to leave inheritance! LOL!  grin
Re: Will You Leave Anything For Your Kids After Dying? by Nobody: 3:06pm On Feb 05, 2012
MRbrownJAY:

@OP
the catch is to TEACH your kids about being RESPONSIBLE, and only leave them your wealth, if you KNOW they are. giving anything to an irresponsible person is not only wrong but also stoopid.
also, if you are not 100% about your kids, then you can use a trust to make sure that everything you leave them is taken care of properly!

what I'd probably put down in my will is to let them have all the physical property. Then for the cash or other assets that can be easily disposed for cash I'd give them like 25% and put the rest in a fixed deposit account; allowing them to access it in installments down the years.
Re: Will You Leave Anything For Your Kids After Dying? by no1madman(m): 7:58pm On Feb 05, 2012
moremi2008:

The majority of those posting in this thread don't have a single pot to piss in and they are making plans to leave inheritance! LOL! grin
prove it!
Re: Will You Leave Anything For Your Kids After Dying? by OmoPastor(m): 12:02am On Feb 06, 2012
I will give them the best education and train them in the word of God which will give them head start in life. Whatever I leave for them will only be additions to the word I have invested in them.
Re: Will You Leave Anything For Your Kids After Dying? by moremi2008(m): 3:02am On Feb 06, 2012
no1madman:

prove it!

^^Proof #1 - mad man in Lagos. grin
Re: Will You Leave Anything For Your Kids After Dying? by Nobody: 3:44am On Feb 07, 2012
trae_z:

what I'd probably put down in my will is to let them have all the physical property. Then for the cash or other assets that can be easily disposed for cash I'd give them like 25% and put the rest in a fixed deposit account; allowing them to access it in installments down the years.

some people work for 20+ yrs to fully pay their homes, and you want to hand it to a son that could sell it off after your death, just like that?! if physical property is worth a lot of money then i doubt it is a safe thing to do (unless your kids are well brought up).

as the saying goes: leave ENOUGH to your children so that they can do something with their lives, but not TOO MUCH that they wont do anything.

also, in some part of the world (like France) you have to pay succession tax to the Government (60% last time i checked) on anything that you leave to your children (whether property/cash/cars etc)  so you have to think VERY CAREFULLY when writing a will, in these parts of the world. . . . . . . . . . . . and find "clever" ways to make sure that the big man doesnt lay his hands on your assets.
Re: Will You Leave Anything For Your Kids After Dying? by ksmith99: 2:26pm On Feb 08, 2012
I'll leave everything for my kids because I earn only for my childrens, Now, I'm giving a good education to my childrens, I want to make a good future of my childrens,

youth career
Re: Will You Leave Anything For Your Kids After Dying? by oloriooko(m): 9:05pm On May 12, 2012
ksmith99
I'll leave everything for my kids because I earn only for my childrens, Now, I'm giving a good education to my childrens, I want to make a good future of my childrens,
what will your "childrens" do if you earn only for them?

kids of today hardly think of the hard work the parents did to give them headstart in life, they simply squander everything.
Re: Will You Leave Anything For Your Kids After Dying? by ifyalways(f): 10:44am On May 13, 2012
No,I would leave all for the OP.You single out a negative case and want to form a theory based on that?Funny.I assume you haven't seen people who worked hard to get it all without parental help then lost it all cos they 'lost it' along the way.

My kids are getting it all(love,attention,my small change and debts,lol) now that im alive and would get more of my "all" when im no more.
Re: Will You Leave Anything For Your Kids After Dying? by ProPastorChris(m): 4:30pm On May 13, 2012
@ op
Pro 13:22 A good man leaveth an inheritance to his children's children: and the wealth of the sinner is laid up for the just.

leaving stuff for your kids is non-negotiable.
Re: Will You Leave Anything For Your Kids After Dying? by Daresh(f): 5:36pm On May 13, 2012
It depends on how old they are.
Re: Will You Leave Anything For Your Kids After Dying? by oloriooko(m): 9:39pm On Jun 03, 2015
ProPastorChris:
@ op
Pro 13:22 A good man leaveth an inheritance to his children's children: and the wealth of the sinner is laid up for the just.

leaving stuff for your kids is non-negotiable.
Pastor!!!!!
Are you even in this world? So your kids will silently wait on you without working to help themselves?

(1) (Reply)

When Was The Last Time You Cried / Marriage Not Compulsory. / Your View On Maltreating Kids Staying With You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.