Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,274 members, 7,811,804 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:01 PM

How To Prepare Ukodo (urhobo Delicacy) - Food (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / How To Prepare Ukodo (urhobo Delicacy) (31301 Views)

How To Make Ukodo, Urhobo Yam And Unripe Plantain Pepper Soup (Photos, Video) / How I Cooked Warri Plantain Peppersoup (ukodo) / Inside Vietnamese Cat Market Where Cats Are Butchered For ₦25,000 Delicacy(Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Prepare Ukodo (urhobo Delicacy) by Kajaard: 9:36pm On Apr 18, 2022
tiswell:
with all the problems facing naija,na how to prepare food be ya problem

So because Nigeria has so many problems we should stop eating food right? Sense is very far from you.
Re: How To Prepare Ukodo (urhobo Delicacy) by WhizdomXX(m): 9:36pm On Apr 18, 2022
SensualMan1:
Nothing special about the food. Its simply 'Ji Mmiri Oku'

In that case, urhobo gat no delicacy.
K. Have you heard of owo soup and Starch?

3 Likes

Re: How To Prepare Ukodo (urhobo Delicacy) by NoGirlfriend: 9:41pm On Apr 18, 2022
so na urhobo get yam pepper soup? story

1 Like

Re: How To Prepare Ukodo (urhobo Delicacy) by tutudesz: 9:42pm On Apr 18, 2022
Oghene1st:
Ukodo is a yam and unripe plantain dish of the Urhobo people of Nigeria. The Itsekiri people of the Niger Delta also make a similar dish called Epuru. It is essentially a pottage, a stew of meat and vegetable with its base as the Nigerian pepper soup. It is usually used for marriage and burial ceremonies or as breakfast, particularly during the cold season.

It is sometimes cooked with lemon grass and potash. A poem by the Nigerian Chovwe Inisiagho-Ogbe describes both the ingredients and the process of cooking Ukodo in a light-hearted way.

Wadoo!!!! Is it just me or did the weather get chilly all of a sudden. This is the best type of weather for one of my favorite south-south recipes….Ukodo. Usually, this is the type of meal i take and sleep off afterwards under my thick duvet cover while the cold air mixed with the irresistible aroma ukodo leaves the house with brushes through my face and nostrils while i sleep…sweet lazy morning all the way.

Ukodo is typical spicy traditional breakfast native to the Urhobo tribe of delta state in the southern part of Nigeria. It is simply a pepper soup dish which consists of unripe plantain and yam (sometimes cooked with lemon grass and potash), and is believed to be the perfect companion on a wet cold day. The Itsekiris, also of the Niger Delta call their version Epuru while the igbo version is known as Ji mmiri Oku. When preparing ukodo, i usually prefer the use of goat Goat meat or dried fish because it gives it a nice native taste and smell unlike chicken and cow meat. It’s really simple to make as i’m about to show you below.
How to make Ukodo (Urhobo yam & plantain pepper soup pottage)

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: About an hour
Category: Nigerian soups
Region: Niger-Delta, Nigeria

Ingredients:

•3 medium sized plantain “Unripe”

•4 Large Slices yam

•1 kg Goat meat (with intestine & liver)
•2 cooking spoons Palm oil
•1 small bunch lemon grass/ scent leaves
•2 tbsp. crayfish/ dry prawns
•1 teaspoon dried pepper
•2 seeds “Iwo/Erhe (itshekiri) – Dry roast and set aside
•1 seed Gbafilo
•2 Uda Uwentia “Negro pepper” (Simply Uda or Enge) – Remove the seeds & discard
•1 tsp. Ataiko
•1 tbsp Irugege
•2 Seasoning cubes
•1/2 teaspoon Native salt

Directions:

Step 1: Wash the goat meat thoroughly, place in a pot and sprinkle a tsp. of salt and cook for about 15 minutes on low heat. Set aside to later use.

Step 2: Peel the yam and cut into two halves then immerse in a bowl of water and rinse. Peel and cut the plantain into three pieces then – set aside.

Step 3: Place all the local spices (Iwo/Erhe (itshekiri), Gbafilo, Ataiko, Irugege) in the dry part of the blender and grind for a few minutes.

Step 4: Add some water to the pot containing goat meat. Place on the burner and allow to boil for about 5 minutes. Add 1-2 tbsp. of the ground spices, uda, crayfish, pepper and crushed seasoning. Stir and taste the soup. Leave to cook further till you start to perceive the aroma.

Step 5: Add plantain and yam. Add the lemon grass bunch then reduce the heat and allow the ukodo to cook for about 15 minutes. Discard the lemon grass bunch after this.

Step 6: Transfer the Yam and plantain into a dish, then pour the liquid into another plate. Pour red palm oil into a small clay bowl and serve. The palm oil can also be mixed with the ukodo liquid and used to eat the yam and plantain or the yam/plantain could be dipped in the oil and eaten while the ukodo liquid is sipped like pepper soup.

1 Like

Re: How To Prepare Ukodo (urhobo Delicacy) by jeromeekugbere(m): 9:42pm On Apr 18, 2022
Exactly what I had coz the weather was chilly tonight, would have been a lot better if I had the time to prepare it at home, we all know home made ukodo is the best and those outside vendors don't make it to standard

Oniovo Doh, This brought lots of happy memories when I was still living with pops, the rains are coming and it's almost time to harvest water yam, that means we'd wake up to this delicacy every morning in the next few months
Ukodo with enough meats and palm oil on the side

Abeg anybody when won cook this food make he quote me tongue ✌️

1 Like

Re: How To Prepare Ukodo (urhobo Delicacy) by Nealson(m): 9:44pm On Apr 18, 2022
I'm just laughing at myself here.... I remembered the last time my dad, I and my siblings came to kokori for grandpa's burial this delicacy was served that day, I enjoyed it. And My mum always makes all kinds of urhobo local delicacy she makes sure we know how to prepare some but sadly I can't speak my language well aside from migwo grin grin grin grin I don lost tey tey, make God just have mercy on me as in ehn a no just understand myself at all those before me can speak fluently but you see me taaar!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Prepare Ukodo (urhobo Delicacy) by tutudesz: 9:44pm On Apr 18, 2022
Mkelv0106:
If you stay Sapele, Koko, mosogar, orherokpe, Warri, Eku, Abraka, you no chop this food, or ogwho soup, ogwho beans with starch, okro soup with periwinkle and hot eba, banga soup wit tico meat, you nvr experience Delta state be that
grin you be Delta man already

2 Likes

Re: How To Prepare Ukodo (urhobo Delicacy) by tutudesz: 9:45pm On Apr 18, 2022
Nealson:
I'm just laughing at myself here.... I remembered the last time my dad, I and my siblings came to kokori for grandpa's burial this delicacy was served that day, I enjoyed it. And My mum always makes all kinds of urhobo local delicacy she makes sure we know how to prepare some but sadly I can't speak my language well aside from migwo grin grin grin grin I don lost tey tey, make God just have mercy on me as in ehn a no just understand myself at all those before me can speak fluently but you see me taaar!
Migwo is the most important word has a Urhobo person

1 Like

Re: How To Prepare Ukodo (urhobo Delicacy) by Mkelv0106(m): 9:49pm On Apr 18, 2022
tutudesz:

grin you be Delta man already
Original one brother
Re: How To Prepare Ukodo (urhobo Delicacy) by TenQ: 9:50pm On Apr 18, 2022
Weirdlycute will not see this one now!

Here is another one

https://www.nairaland.com/7083417/different-types-peppersoup-meals-nigeria
Re: How To Prepare Ukodo (urhobo Delicacy) by Nealson(m): 9:52pm On Apr 18, 2022
tutudesz:

Migwo is the most important word has a Urhobo person

Bro grin grin grin you think. As in ehn the matter bad so tey if I see my tribe people dey waka for where I dey I go just shut up dey look like mumu trying to buy into their conversation, I've tried to speak it but the grace no just dey there and I can't kill myself senior man
Re: How To Prepare Ukodo (urhobo Delicacy) by samwash(m): 9:56pm On Apr 18, 2022
Urhobo wado !!
Warri nor dey carry last.
I really enjoy this meal that year couple work owo & plantain/ yam.
I use God beg una, those pple for the other side of South go think say na them get food pass, come to South- south up to the East, make una come test varieties of good foods, nor be all those smelly oil food when una dey cook.

1 Like

Re: How To Prepare Ukodo (urhobo Delicacy) by Asswipemod: 9:58pm On Apr 18, 2022
slawormiir:
Damnnn niggar
Isoright....

Not like it is urhuobo delicacy

Not restricted or owned by the urhuobos

Oga, this is not weed. It's food. Ok?

3 Likes

Re: How To Prepare Ukodo (urhobo Delicacy) by folake4u(f): 9:59pm On Apr 18, 2022
I love this meal especially with plenty dried fish. Best taken during raining season.

Chai. I miss my family. embarassed

2 Likes

Re: How To Prepare Ukodo (urhobo Delicacy) by tutudesz: 10:01pm On Apr 18, 2022
Nealson:

Bro grin grin grin you think. As in ehn the matter bad so tey if I see my tribe people dey waka for where I dey I go just shut up dey look like mumu trying to buy into their conversation, I've tried to speak it but the grace no just dey there and I can't kill myself senior man
Brotherly Na only greeting I Sabi has an Ijaw man O! So we be partner in crime grin
Re: How To Prepare Ukodo (urhobo Delicacy) by tutudesz: 10:02pm On Apr 18, 2022
Mkelv0106:

Original one brother
With registration number grin
Re: How To Prepare Ukodo (urhobo Delicacy) by tiswell(m): 10:05pm On Apr 18, 2022
Kajaard:

So because Nigeria has so many problems we should stop eating food right? Sense is very far from you.
na food go kii you las las
Re: How To Prepare Ukodo (urhobo Delicacy) by kroger: 10:06pm On Apr 18, 2022
WhizdomXX:

K. Have you heard of owo soup and Starch?

Bros Degwo.. Owo and starch is my favorite delicacy �

2 Likes

Re: How To Prepare Ukodo (urhobo Delicacy) by WhizdomXX(m): 10:11pm On Apr 18, 2022
kroger:

Bros Degwo.. Owo and starch is my favorite delicacy �
Vrendoh,That's goood.

1 Like

Re: How To Prepare Ukodo (urhobo Delicacy) by BeeNG3: 10:12pm On Apr 18, 2022
Wow. Mouth watering
Re: How To Prepare Ukodo (urhobo Delicacy) by brandsoncharlie: 10:20pm On Apr 18, 2022
Oghene1st:
Ukodo is a yam and unripe plantain dish of the Urhobo people of Nigeria. The Itsekiri people of the Niger Delta also make a similar dish called Epuru. It is essentially a pottage, a stew of meat and vegetable with its base as the Nigerian pepper soup. It is usually used for marriage and burial ceremonies or as breakfast, particularly during the cold season.

It is sometimes cooked with lemon grass and potash. A poem by the Nigerian Chovwe Inisiagho-Ogbe describes both the ingredients and the process of cooking Ukodo in a light-hearted way.

Wadoo!!!! Is it just me or did the weather get chilly all of a sudden. This is the best type of weather for one of my favorite south-south recipes….Ukodo. Usually, this is the type of meal i take and sleep off afterwards under my thick duvet cover while the cold air mixed with the irresistible aroma ukodo leaves the house with brushes through my face and nostrils while i sleep…sweet lazy morning all the way.

Ukodo is typical spicy traditional breakfast native to the Urhobo tribe of delta state in the southern part of Nigeria. It is simply a pepper soup dish which consists of unripe plantain and yam (sometimes cooked with lemon grass and potash), and is believed to be the perfect companion on a wet cold day. The Itsekiris, also of the Niger Delta call their version Epuru while the igbo version is known as Ji mmiri Oku. When preparing ukodo, i usually prefer the use of goat Goat meat or dried fish because it gives it a nice native taste and smell unlike chicken and cow meat. It’s really simple to make as i’m about to show you below.

Ingredients:

•4 Large Slices yam

•1 teaspoon dried pepper
•1 seed Gbafilo
•1 tsp. Ataiko
•1 tbsp Irugege
•2 Seasoning cubes

Directions:

Step 1: Wash the goat meat thoroughly, place in a pot and sprinkle a tsp. of salt and cook for about 15 minutes on low heat. Set aside to later use.

Step 2: Peel the yam and cut into two halves then immerse in a bowl of water and rinse. Peel and cut the plantain into three pieces then – set aside.

Step 3: Place all the local spices (Iwo/Erhe (itshekiri), Gbafilo, Ataiko, Irugege) in the dry part of the blender and grind for a few minutes.

Step 4: Add some water to the pot containing goat meat. Place on the burner and allow to boil for about 5 minutes. Add 1-2 tbsp. of the ground spices, uda, crayfish, pepper and crushed seasoning. Stir and taste the soup. Leave to cook further till you start to perceive the aroma.

Step 5: Add plantain and yam. Add the lemon grass bunch then reduce the heat and allow the ukodo to cook for about 15 minutes. Discard the lemon grass bunch after this.

Step 6: Transfer the Yam and plantain into a dish, then pour the liquid into another plate. Pour red palm oil into a small clay bowl and serve. The palm oil can also be mixed with the ukodo liquid and used to eat the yam and plantain or the yam/plantain could be dipped in the oil and eaten while the ukodo liquid is sipped like pepper soup.
Certain tribes in Rivers state too is a part of their delicacy but some ingredients are some how different in preparing them.
Re: How To Prepare Ukodo (urhobo Delicacy) by thesicilian: 10:25pm On Apr 18, 2022
First Ukodo is different from yam pepper soup, which is what you have up there not Ukodo. The real Ukodo is closer in texture to the yam porridge, which yorubas call Asaro, and is a Benin/Edo delicacy, not urhobo.

1 Like

Re: How To Prepare Ukodo (urhobo Delicacy) by DaveHarry(m): 10:29pm On Apr 18, 2022
Oghene1st:

Ingredients:

•4 Large Slices yam

•1 teaspoon dried pepper
•1 seed Gbafilo
•1 tsp. Ataiko
•1 tbsp Irugege
•2 Seasoning cubes

Directions:

Why you no call me make I come join eat na. One of my favorite.
Re: How To Prepare Ukodo (urhobo Delicacy) by feedthenation(m): 10:45pm On Apr 18, 2022
Mkelv0106:
If you stay Sapele, Koko, mosogar, orherokpe, Warri, Eku, Abraka, you no chop this food, or ogwho soup, ogwho beans with starch, okro soup with periwinkle and hot eba, banga soup wit tico meat, you nvr experience Delta state be that

--100% correct---
Re: How To Prepare Ukodo (urhobo Delicacy) by oilmane(m): 10:49pm On Apr 18, 2022
SensualMan1:
Nothing special about the food. Its simply 'Ji Mmiri Oku'

In that case, urhobo gat no delicacy.

U don hear of banga soup b4? Owho soup and starch? Iribotor? guy delicacies much for Urhobo kingdom

1 Like

Re: How To Prepare Ukodo (urhobo Delicacy) by Mavor: 10:57pm On Apr 18, 2022
An amazing food.
Re: How To Prepare Ukodo (urhobo Delicacy) by Mkelv0106(m): 11:03pm On Apr 18, 2022
tutudesz:

With registration number grin
I be full Sapele boy o chairmo grin
Re: How To Prepare Ukodo (urhobo Delicacy) by airsaylongcome: 11:05pm On Apr 18, 2022
thesicilian:
First Ukodo is different from yam pepper soup, which is what you have up there not Ukodo. The real Ukodo is closer in texture to the yam porridge, which yorubas call Asaro, and is a Benin/Edo delicacy, not urhobo.

It's not as thick as Asaro but definitely not this watery. And no matter how we drag reach, each will lay claim to it (Urhobo and Bini). It's like Banga soup that Itsekiri, Urhobo, Bini and Anambra all lay claim to. Even Ogwo soup is very very close to Ofe Owerri. Whoever like make he claim. For me, Ukodo na Urhobo delicacy. There's a way Ughievwen people cook it that the taste is very unique

1 Like

Re: How To Prepare Ukodo (urhobo Delicacy) by Sureblack47: 11:19pm On Apr 18, 2022
Uhrobo wadooo, mi Yere oooo

1 Like

Re: How To Prepare Ukodo (urhobo Delicacy) by AngelicBeing: 11:25pm On Apr 18, 2022
Yummy cheesy
Re: How To Prepare Ukodo (urhobo Delicacy) by Bigchristo: 11:27pm On Apr 18, 2022
Oghene1st:

Ingredients:

•4 Large Slices yam

•1 teaspoon dried pepper
•1 seed Gbafilo
•1 tsp. Ataiko
•1 tbsp Irugege
•2 Seasoning cubes

Directions:

As an Urhobo man I enjoy eating Ukodo, e too go well tongue grin grin cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Can You Name Any Fruit Without Seed? / How To Make Ofe Nsala (White Soup) / The Nigerian Food From Another Tribe You Enjoy. (Pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.