Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,495 members, 7,819,810 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:18 AM

Emmanuel Emenike Arrested For Match Fixing; Released Now - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Emmanuel Emenike Arrested For Match Fixing; Released Now (7009 Views)

Emmanuel Emenike Performs Ritual To Lift Curse / Alex Song And Cameroon Under Investigation For Match Fixing In Brazil / Nigerian Players Banned For Life For Match-fixing Scandal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Emmanuel Emenike Arrested For Match Fixing; Released Now by pereze: 7:20pm On Jul 07, 2011

Budding Nigerian footballer alongside his teammate are standing trial for alleged match fixing.
Three executives of champions Fenerbahce, the chairman of Sivasspor and coach of Eskisehirspor were among the 15 sent to jail on the orders of an Istanbul court, state-run Anatolian news agency reported.

A total of 22 have now been jailed after seven were sent to Metris jail in Istanbul overnight, including Fenerbahce's star striker Emmanuel Emenike (pictured).

The investigation has thrown preparations for the new season into disarray just a month before kick-off and the Turkish Football Federation is expected to act soon in response to the allegations without waiting for the outcome of the case.

Among possible sanctions are exclusion from competitions, relegation to a lower division and potentially the loss of tens of millions of dollars in income. Any individuals convicted of match-fixing could face lengthy prison sentences.

Shares in major Istanbul club Fenerbahce , which won the league for a record 18th time last season, have lost a third of their value since news of the police raids emerged.

Source:      http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/07072011/58/15-jailed-turkish-match-fixing-probe.html
Re: Emmanuel Emenike Arrested For Match Fixing; Released Now by AlabaSlim: 8:43pm On Jul 07, 2011
Hm i hear am dis afternun from kufre & kelechi
I TRUST BRILA FM den go CLOSE MOUF like say nothin hapun
Re: Emmanuel Emenike Arrested For Match Fixing; Released Now by Mobinga: 11:39am On Jul 08, 2011
Sepp Blatter, Alex Ferguson, Platini should be jailed for killing football.
Re: Emmanuel Emenike Arrested For Match Fixing; Released Now by ash4real: 11:40am On Jul 08, 2011
i beg wetin be match-fixing?
Re: Emmanuel Emenike Arrested For Match Fixing; Released Now by keni: 11:45am On Jul 08, 2011
He opted out of a match (do to whatever reason) and that is termed as macth fixing
Re: Emmanuel Emenike Arrested For Match Fixing; Released Now by strangest(m): 11:53am On Jul 08, 2011
ash4real:

ojoro wayo 419 scam fraud
Re: Emmanuel Emenike Arrested For Match Fixing; Released Now by Nobody: 12:14pm On Jul 08, 2011
He has been release since. He is not part of d scandal cos he's a new player there(fenerbache). They jst bought * month ago.
Re: Emmanuel Emenike Arrested For Match Fixing; Released Now by ABS1(m): 12:14pm On Jul 08, 2011
Re: Emmanuel Emenike Arrested For Match Fixing; Released Now by Nobody: 12:36pm On Jul 08, 2011
Turkey Goverment, dont mess with them
Re: Emmanuel Emenike Arrested For Match Fixing; Released Now by babaowo: 12:41pm On Jul 08, 2011
matches had been fixing since old days not new.
Re: Emmanuel Emenike Arrested For Match Fixing; Released Now by fxtopedia(m): 1:14pm On Jul 08, 2011
Mobinga:

Sepp Blatter, Alex Ferguson, Platini should be jailed for killing football.

Can you please shed more light to the highlighted?
Re: Emmanuel Emenike Arrested For Match Fixing; Released Now by dapofrank(m): 1:30pm On Jul 08, 2011
I thought match fixing is done by coaches and not players??
Re: Emmanuel Emenike Arrested For Match Fixing; Released Now by honeric01(m): 1:35pm On Jul 08, 2011
HE WAS NEVER IN JAIL, HE WAS NOT FOUND GUILTY, haba, make una sofrrey sowfrey o tongue
Re: Emmanuel Emenike Arrested For Match Fixing; Released Now by Gbenge77(m): 2:30pm On Jul 08, 2011
ash4real:

it means the result of a match has been pre-determined.
Re: Emmanuel Emenike Arrested For Match Fixing; Released Now by CodedW: 3:21pm On Jul 08, 2011
Stop spoiling d guy image, according to bbc d player was 'freed'
Re: Emmanuel Emenike Arrested For Match Fixing; Released Now by mazaje(m): 3:37pm On Jul 08, 2011
He has long been released. . . . . .

[size=18pt]Super Eagles striker, Emmanuel Emenike, was set free on Thursday by a Turkish court after he was arrested over allegations of match-fixing [/size]in which over a hundred people were arrested, including Fenerbahce president Aziz Yildrim.

The player has escaped life ban proposed by FIFA president, Sepp Blatter for any one found guilty of match-fixing allegations, after the court said the player had no case to answer in the investigations.

[size=18pt]According to the official Turkish press agency, Anadolu Ajansi, the court said there was no evidence against him[/size].

The agency added that the case against him cannot be dropped yet as he is part of the larger ongoing investigation.

Emenike’s lawyer has told the player that he cannot comment on the case while it continues.

Emenike is not able to speak to the media as the investigation is ongoing, but the charges against him have now been dropped.

The Fenerbahce striker is free after being in custody for five days as part of a widespread police clampdown on illegal dealings in the Turkish league

“I cannot make any categorical statement with regards an ongoing investigation, I’ll appreciate it if everyone respects that,” Emenike told BBC Sport.

“It’s been tough the last couple of days both mentally and physically.

“I want to rest then return to football with my team-mates as soon as possible,” he said. 

http://www.independentngonline.com/DailyIndependent/Article.aspx?id=36867

Re: Emmanuel Emenike Arrested For Match Fixing; Released Now by baslone: 4:10pm On Jul 08, 2011
ash4real:

The process in which Barca's reached the champion's league final!
Re: Emmanuel Emenike Arrested For Match Fixing; Released Now by vislabraye(m): 4:20pm On Jul 08, 2011
He's not guilty. I'm sure if FIFA should investigate properly, you would be amazed about a lot of match fixings especially UEFA championship matches. .
Re: Emmanuel Emenike Arrested For Match Fixing; Released Now by Musiwa42: 5:16pm On Jul 08, 2011
he got arrested because his phone was bug over his age. there have been problem over his true identity , even i got confuse , he bear the same name with former eagle star and people assume he was using different ID.

the need for having a good system in nigeria is important. and look what if boko haram where in the same plane with you. and they want to bomb it up. the police and immigration can track this if we had good system. there is a need to remove edo,delta and yorubas from nigeria/.

former national team star.
[img]http://www.iffhs-media.de/9-Africa/9-Africa-57.jpg[/img]

Re: Emmanuel Emenike Arrested For Match Fixing; Released Now by Fogman(m): 6:37pm On Jul 08, 2011
baslone:

The process in which Barca's reached the champion's league final!

LMAO!
Re: Emmanuel Emenike Arrested For Match Fixing; Released Now by danidon: 6:39pm On Jul 08, 2011
Haba, the guy is new to Fernebache . NL,pls investigate your news first. He was released since yesterday after appearing in the court. He was never jailed. Ok
Re: Emmanuel Emenike Arrested For Match Fixing; Released Now by slap1(m): 6:49pm On Jul 08, 2011
Musiwa,.:

he got arrested because his phone was bug over his age. there have been problem over his true identity , even i got confuse , he bear the same name with former eagle star and people assume he was using different ID.

the need for having a good system in nigeria is important. and look what if boko haram where in the same plane with you. and they want to bomb it up. the police and immigration can track this if we had good system. there is a need to remove edo,delta and yorubas from nigeria/.

former national team star.
[img]http://www.iffhs-media.de/9-Africa/9-Africa-57.jpg[/img]

Mad man.
Re: Emmanuel Emenike Arrested For Match Fixing; Released Now by slap1(m): 6:54pm On Jul 08, 2011
It's been confirmed that he is not in jail, the mods should edit the home page link, or remove it entirely. We already have enough Nigerians tarnishing our image globally, a little break won't be so bad.
Re: Emmanuel Emenike Arrested For Match Fixing; Released Now by slap1(m): 6:56pm On Jul 08, 2011
It's been confirmed that he is not in jail, the mods should edit the home page link, or remove it entirely. We already have enough Nigerians tarnishing our image globally, a little break won't be so bad.
Re: Emmanuel Emenike Arrested For Match Fixing; Released Now by MMM2(m): 7:57pm On Jul 08, 2011
Re: Emmanuel Emenike Arrested For Match Fixing; Released Now by medocity(m): 8:23pm On Jul 08, 2011
This is from BBC, Confirming Nigeria's­ Emenike freed in Turkey
Nigeria's Emmanuel Emenike­ has been freed by a Turkish court, after being arrested­ as part of investigations into match-fixing­ allegations. According to the official Turkish press­ agency, Anadolu Ajansi, the court said there was no­ evidence against him.
       The agency added that the case­ against him cannot be dropped yet as he is part of the­ larger ongoing investigation. Emenike's lawyer has­ told the player that he cannot comment on the case­ while it continues. "I cannot make any­ categorical statement with regards an ongoing­ investigation, I'll appreciate it if everyone­ respects that," Emenike told BBC­ Sport. "It's been tough the last couple of­ days both mentally and physically,'' the­ Nigeria star said.

"I want to rest then return­ to football with my team-mates as soon as­ possible." Turkish police say so far they have­ uncovered evidence that bribes and intimidation were­ used to fix 19 games. As well as Emenike, several­ other people have been released, but around 50 remain­ in custody. The highest profile suspect is Aziz­ Yildirim, president of the current national league­ champions, Fenerbahce.
        On Thursday he was taken to a­ police station after he left hospital, where he had­ been seeking help for heart problems But he remains a­ suspect and is scheduled to be questioned by­ prosecutors on Thursday. Fenerbahce insists the club­ has done nothing wrong. Other prominent clubs whose­ former chairmen are under investigation are­ Diyarbakirspor and Giresunspor.

Several footballers­ were also arrested, including at least two Turkish­ internationals, Please no dey carry rumor my people
Re: Emmanuel Emenike Arrested For Match Fixing; Released Now by Kx: 8:26pm On Jul 08, 2011
Re: Emmanuel Emenike Arrested For Match Fixing; Released Now by Nobody: 8:28pm On Jul 08, 2011
medocity:

This is from BBC, Confirming Nigeria's­ Emenike freed in Turkey
Nigeria's Emmanuel Emenike­ has been freed by a Turkish court, after being arrested­ as part of investigations into match-fixing­ allegations. According to the official Turkish press­ agency, Anadolu Ajansi, the court said there was no­ evidence against him.
The agency added that the case­ against him cannot be dropped yet as he is part of the­ larger ongoing investigation. Emenike's lawyer has­ told the player that he cannot comment on the case­ while it continues. "I cannot make any­ categorical statement with regards an ongoing­ investigation, I'll appreciate it if everyone­ respects that," Emenike told BBC­ Sport. "It's been tough the last couple of­ days both mentally and physically,'' the­ Nigeria star said.

"I want to rest then return­ to football with my team-mates as soon as­ possible." Turkish police say so far they have­ uncovered evidence that bribes and intimidation were­ used to fix 19 games. As well as Emenike, several­ other people have been released, but around 50 remain­ in custody. The highest profile suspect is Aziz­ Yildirim, president of the current national league­ champions, Fenerbahce.
On Thursday he was taken to a­ police station after he left hospital, where he had­ been seeking help for heart problems But he remains a­ suspect and is scheduled to be questioned by­ prosecutors on Thursday. Fenerbahce insists the club­ has done nothing wrong. Other prominent clubs whose­ former chairmen are under investigation are­ Diyarbakirspor and Giresunspor.

Several footballers­ were also arrested, including at least two Turkish­ internationals, Please no dey carry rumor my people
wasssurp my guy cheesy
Re: Emmanuel Emenike Arrested For Match Fixing; Released Now by oladayo042: 9:35pm On Jul 08, 2011
Thank God he was freed. I can recall NFF saying they will do sth when the news of his arrest broke out but I know deep inside of me that nothing will be done.
Re: Emmanuel Emenike Arrested For Match Fixing; Released Now by mamagee3(f): 10:23pm On Jul 08, 2011
Sucks for him!!!!
Re: Emmanuel Emenike Arrested For Match Fixing; Released Now by Tyche(m): 11:03pm On Jul 08, 2011
the title should have read EMMANUEL EMENIKE ARRESTED
Re: Emmanuel Emenike Arrested For Match Fixing; Released Now by Abanicwise(m): 3:36am On Jul 09, 2011
ash4real:

Match fixing is simply a process, situation or unaceptable system in football whereby the outcome or the result of match in question has bn previously agreed, ascertain, determine,, under a mutual agreement by the two teams involved (i.e Team A and Team B) before the match actually take place and this is done in exchange for sth (money,or consideration) which is a fraud and extremely illegal in football and run fowl of FIFA's rule.

(1) (2) (Reply)

FIFA Announces Introduction Of Goal-line Technology / Foreign Young Star Eligible To Play For Super Eagles / Bayelsa Queens Qualify For CAF Women’s Champions League

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.