Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,772 members, 7,817,146 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:06 AM

My Poultry Farm - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My Poultry Farm (38546 Views)

The Tiny Egg I Saw In My Poultry Pen Today (Pics) / My Poultry Farm - Part 2 / Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Poultry Farm by FarmTech(m): 9:38pm On Sep 07, 2013
In this post, I’ll share with you what it took me to build my poultry farm. I'm doing this bc it will help many people who are interested in poultry farming. But first, you may want to know why a mechanical engineering graduate decided to go into farming in the first place. Well, farming was my childhood passion and it still remains a passion till today. I also have passion for mechanical engineering but as of now, farming will make me more money than my field of study and it has a cheaper start-up cost.

Also, I wasn’t that interested in getting a job in the first place. Rather than spend 6 months or more looking for job, it is better to start something if you have the capital. So that’s how I came into poultry farming.

I just hope that this will inspire Nairalanders like me that have interest in farming.

1. Cutting Down Trees

2. Carpentry Work in progress
Cost Estimate:
WOOD:
1. 2X4x18: 16 pcs at N650 each: N10,400. New ones cost N850 each.

2. 2X4x12: The name of the wood is called Achi. 30 pcs at N430 each. Total: N12,900

3. 2X3x12: Name of the wood is Meliner. 60pcs at N230 each. Total: 13,800. Additional 26 pcs was bought, totaling the price to N 20,240.

Baton: 1 bundle – N1,600.

Workmanship for Carpentry Work: N30,000.

There were left over.

3. Preparation for Roofing
Zinc: 4 bundles – N40,000

4. Roofing in Progress

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Poultry Farm by FarmTech(m): 9:41pm On Sep 07, 2013
5. Roofing Completed

6. Foundation Work
Cement: About 16 bags – About N25,200.

Workmanship for Mason Work: N40,000.

7. Dwarf Wall Completed

Re: My Poultry Farm by FarmTech(m): 9:42pm On Sep 07, 2013
8. Poultry House Completed

Wire Mesh: rolls – N15,000. There was left over.

Re: My Poultry Farm by FarmTech(m): 9:45pm On Sep 07, 2013
8. Wire Mesh Floor for the Chicks

My aim here is to prevent the chicks from coming in contact with their droppings. The method I adopt here can only minimize contact by up to 90%.

The reason why I’m doing this is to minimize infection by Coccidiosis. I believe this can reduce mortality to zero (Ceteris Paribus). Now here is how I go about the construction:

Dimension: 3x6ft.
Wire Mesh: N4,000.
Wood: Already available.

In all, there were miscellaneous expenses like the cost of nails, transport, loading and offloading etc.

In the future, I'll be adding grasscutter and goat. I hope this helps somebody.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Poultry Farm by FarmTech(m): 9:48pm On Sep 07, 2013
Note: I have not completed this cage yet. Once completed, I'll post the picture here.

Stay tune for updates. When I finally buy the chickens (500 layers), I'll keep you updated as I progress.

1 Like

Re: My Poultry Farm by Lawmann: 9:53pm On Sep 07, 2013
Nice work.how many birds will this contain?
Re: My Poultry Farm by FarmTech(m): 10:49pm On Sep 07, 2013
Lawmann: Nice work.how many birds will this contain?

500 layers.
Re: My Poultry Farm by femu(m): 3:31pm On Sep 08, 2013
i like the wire mesh concept, pls shed more light on the effectiveness
Re: My Poultry Farm by FarmTech(m): 9:52pm On Sep 08, 2013
femu: i like the wire mesh concept, pls shed more light on the effectiveness
The wire mesh will prevent the chicks from coming in contact with their droppings. This will reduce the risk of infection.

Another thing to note is that I won't use the mesh floor immediately because I'm afraid their feet is not large enough. I'll have to wait for about a week or so. I've not seen anybody doing this before, I just saw the concept in one ebook.
Re: My Poultry Farm by femu(m): 12:07pm On Sep 09, 2013
ok we shall learn from you. continue to share
Re: My Poultry Farm by jaydacorsair: 12:32pm On Sep 09, 2013
We are waiting. The lord is ur strength

1 Like

Re: My Poultry Farm by FarmTech(m): 6:11pm On Sep 10, 2013
Sorry for the delay. My mtn subscription has expired. Once I get another subcription I'll give u more updates with pictures.

The chicks have arrived, 550 of them. As usual you start with starter feed. When I saw the feed I ordered for, i was confuse because wot was written on the bag was broiler starter feed. On enquiry i found out that both layers and broilers feed on the same starter.

The brand of feed we bought was vital feed. My mentor told me it is better than other ones.

Pls stay tune, more updates are comming. And hey, I need your advice and suggestions. Also share your own experience.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Poultry Farm by FarmTech(m): 11:04pm On Nov 26, 2013
Its been a very long time. This biz have so much drain us that I can hardly afford mtn subscription. Pity. The chickens are now about 11 wks old. Mortality so far is only 10. I really thank God for that. Pls bear with me, more updates will come when i get an mtn subscriptn.

2 Likes

Re: My Poultry Farm by n0m0705(m): 4:18am On Nov 27, 2013
Please I am very interested in how effective the wire merge you use for the floor is , please share with pictures.
Re: My Poultry Farm by EmmaAjayi(m): 10:25am On Nov 27, 2013
I have 40 broilers and 40 cockrels which l bought at day old about 10 weeks back.
Just employing this as a trial run. We started with Starter Vital Feeds for a month plus after which we started with Finisher at 8weeks plus. The broilers consume a lot more than the cockrels. I had to resort to buying local foods for them from experts at Abbatoir which cost lesser. The fact is that they were not rushing the food as they used to rush the Vital Feeds, but now they are getting used to it.
At each stage, we had to mix their drinking water based on specification by the Vet. Practitioner.
Both the broiler and cockrels now attack one another maybe because of not being promptly fed. Some of them have lost their eyes in the attacks which necessitated moving them to seperate cage. I also suspect that viruses attacked them thereby affecting their eyes. This attract the the attention of others who keep on pecking them in the affected parts.
Still need invite expert to inspect them and prescribe what other things we need to do as they are approaching 11 weeks.
We have lost 4 of them to dizziness and probably illness.
After this we intend to build a shed that will house about 2000 birds later.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Poultry Farm by FarmTech(m): 12:58pm On Nov 27, 2013
n0m0705: Please I am very interested in how effective the wire merge you use for the floor is , please share with pictures.
My intension for building it was bc of coccidiosis. It is a very deadly disease for small chicks but as they grow, they develop resistance to the disease. The disease can be transmitted through contact with droppings. So I intended to use the wire mesh to reduce this contact - I did not use it though, bc I couldn't finance building it to completion. What I did was to place it on the floor and allow the birds to move in and out of it.
Re: My Poultry Farm by FarmTech(m): 1:12pm On Nov 27, 2013
Emma Ajayi: I have 40 broilers and 40 cockrels which l bought at day old about 10 weeks back.
Just employing this as a trial run. We started with Starter Vital Feeds for a month plus after which we started with Finisher at 8weeks plus. The broilers consume a lot more than the cockrels. I had to resort to buying local foods for them from experts at Abbatoir which cost lesser. The fact is that they were not rushing the food as they used to rush the Vital Feeds, but now they are getting used to it.
At each stage, we had to mix their drinking water based on specification by the Vet. Practitioner.
Both the broiler and cockrels now attack one another maybe because of not being promptly fed. Some of them have lost their eyes in the attacks which necessitated moving them to seperate cage. I also suspect that viruses attacked them thereby affecting their eyes. This attract the the attention of others who keep on pecking them in the affected parts.
Still need invite expert to inspect them and prescribe what other things we need to do as they are approaching 11 weeks.
We have lost 4 of them to dizziness and probably illness.
After this we intend to build a shed that will house about 2000 birds later.
while switching from one feed to the other, do so gradually so that the birds will get use to the new feed. Start by mixing a small quantity of the new feed with the old feed. Then gradually increase the quantity of the new feed and decrease that of the old feed. This should last for about 1-2 weeks. Wrt housing broilers and layers 2gether, i dont think it is a good idea because of disease transmission. The cockerel will also be causing problem by trying to mate the broilers. That swelling of the eyes, some diseases like mycoplasma, infectious coryza, infectious bronchitis etc can cause that. A dirty house can emit ammonia which can also lead to swelling of the eyes and blindness. If ur house is dirty, clean it and always keep the litter in good condition - i.e. Keep it loose and dry, not caked and wet. Btw, which litter material do u use?
Re: My Poultry Farm by FarmTech(m): 7:38pm On Nov 27, 2013
I wont fail to tell anyone who want to go into livestock farming to seek the service of an experienced vet. Out of the 558 chicks i bought, only 10 have died. I owe most of the praise to my vet. Proper vaccination and medication is very important.

5 Likes

Re: My Poultry Farm by IRIENBOY(m): 7:34am On Nov 28, 2013
Re: My Poultry Farm by omotititi: 11:23am On Nov 28, 2013
@Farmtech.....what is the size of ur farm? welldone so far and wish u the best in ur farming enterprise.
Re: My Poultry Farm by FarmTech(m): 12:42am On Nov 29, 2013
omotititi: @Farmtech.....what is the size of ur farm? welldone so far and wish u the best in ur farming enterprise.
a small building at the back of our house. I'm just starting out.
Re: My Poultry Farm by jdkoko(m): 12:42pm On Jan 08, 2014
More pictures please
Re: My Poultry Farm by FarmTech(m): 1:43pm On Jun 30, 2014
So all our discussions so far has been lost? What a pity!
Re: My Poultry Farm by sabawex(m): 9:15pm On Jun 30, 2014
Are you starting medium or large scale farm and you are targeting Lagos market with your live stock poultry, fish ponds worry no more about FARMLAND..for AFFORDABLE farmland within ogun state call on 08037722526****08176126858
Re: My Poultry Farm by pet01(m): 4:11pm On Jul 07, 2014
FarmTech: So all our discussions so far has been lost? What a pity!
At least we should thankGod we are back on discussions and hope to make up for lost supportive ideas.
How are are or birds doing?
Re: My Poultry Farm by Keefarms(m): 9:17am On Jul 08, 2014
Lets converge at www.agricnetwork.com, there is a section for poultry farms. Hopin to hear your stories and testimonies. Lets share our ideas and ask questions. Thanks and God bless
Re: My Poultry Farm by Nobody: 10:09am On Jul 08, 2014
FarmTech: So all our discussions so far has been lost? What a pity!
Really sad.
Re: My Poultry Farm by Nwogbe: 1:05pm On Jul 08, 2014
Farmtech when did ur birds drop? I got mine from farmsupport too and they dropped at exactly 18wks and 3days(last Friday) buh they are slow in picking up. 1 3 4 3 5 is d sequence which i hv experienced. Is it normal? Cos i was expecting a geometric sequence.
Re: My Poultry Farm by FarmTech(m): 2:25pm On Jul 08, 2014
pet01:
At least we should thankGod we are back on discussions and hope to make up for lost supportive ideas.
How are are or birds doing?
Yes, we shud thank God. After several illnesses, they're now doing fine in this cool weather. We've also installed 2 fans for them.
Re: My Poultry Farm by FarmTech(m): 2:54pm On Jul 08, 2014
Nwogbe: Farmtech when did ur birds drop? I got mine from farmsupport too and they dropped at exactly 18wks and 3days(last Friday) buh they are slow in picking up. 1 3 4 3 5 is d sequence which i hv experienced. Is it normal? Cos i was expecting a geometric sequence.
Mine started laying at week 20, but I cant remember hw the increase really went. That info is in my faulty pc, when i get it I'll let u know. Meanwhile, keep feeding them well (dont over- or under-feed) and give them multivit from time to time. Congratulation.
Re: My Poultry Farm by Nwogbe: 3:04pm On Jul 08, 2014
FarmTech:
Mine started laying at week 20, but I cant remember hw the increase really went. That info is in my faulty pc, when i get it I'll let u know. Meanwhile, keep feeding them well (dont over- or under-feed) and give them multivit from time to time. Congratulation.
Ok. Thnks men.
Re: My Poultry Farm by FarmTech(m): 5:36pm On Jul 08, 2014
Keefarms: Lets converge at www.agricnetwork.com, there is a section for poultry farms. Hopin to hear your stories and testimonies. Lets share our ideas and ask questions. Thanks and God bless
I'm already a member. I think u hav to engage in a largescale campaign to make it more active.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

How Much Will It Cost Me To Start A Poultry Farm? / Wonders Of Nature In My Farm / How To Do Fresh Pepper Farming?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.