Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,562 members, 7,816,362 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:12 AM

Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. (12912 Views)

FGGC, Akure Cooks Pick Pads Of Students For "Ritual Purposes" / Watch University Lecturer Flogging Students (video) / Crowd Of Students In Night Class At Unizik, Nnewi Campus. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. by DGIPLUS(m): 11:06pm On Jul 07, 2011
http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=52597:bravo-to-lagos-over-childrens-rights&catid=67:you-report-lagos&Itemid=583

THANKS to the recent legislation passed in Lagos State by the administration of Governor Babatunde Raji Fashola SAN, the caning, beating or physical torture of school students, and of workplace apprentices, has been outlawed entirely, and declared both illegal and criminally culpable throughout that state. This recognition accorded the basic human rights of Lagos State’s children, by Governor Fashola, is, without question, one of the most constructive, progressive and profoundly humanitarian initiatives ever set forth into law by any Nigerian elected leader, since the nation’s 1960 independence.

A simple internet search yields an abundance of thoroughly documented medical evidence, which unambiguously links the “punitive” beating of human beings to very severe and permanently debilitating injuries that range from blindness-inducing eye damage, to life-long paralysis of the legs, possible from SINGLE blunt-force cane impacts to the sciatic nerve, which runs close to the spine in the lower back, just beneath the skin. A research paper recently published by the Department of Ophthalmology, at the College of Health Sciences in Obafemi Awolowo University, Ife, cited a four-year study which concluded that an astonishing 30.3% of all eye injuries, presented at that hospital alone, by children aged between 5 and 15 years old, were DIRECTLY attributed to caning or whipping attacks that went horribly wrong, either in schools or at home.

From a purely medical standpoint, there is NO safe area of the human body suitable for assault with a stick or other blunt-force weapon. Just as easily as a cane-strike to the lower back carries the potential to inflict lifetime lower limb paralysis on the victim, an errant stick, whip or belt-buckle impact to the wrist is equally liable to fracture, deform or displace the delicate wrist carpal bones that articulate within very tight tolerances, thus degrading forever the wrist’s flexibility and range of motion. Caning the hands of a student, such that permanent bone injury and loss of flexibility to the hands results, would effectively END whatever aspirations the victim may have held of becoming a surgeon later in life. The disastrous effects of losing one’s sight or mobility to a caning incident would be no less life-destroying, and require no elaboration.

The injurious psychological effects, of exposing children to physical brutality in the name of discipline, can last a lifetime, but do also manifest behaviorally in the short term, as illustrated by the extremely high prevalence of school-yard bullying of juniors by senior students, whose own corporal punishment and physical torture by school authority figures imparts a misconception of normalcy to the use of violence as a tool to gain “respect” and the illusion of compliance. In nearby Ghana, by way of comparison, where all forms of corporal punishment have been outlawed for decades, school-yard bullying is virtually non-existent, while a very high level of orderliness and discipline is maintained in Ghanaian secondary schools, without any recourse to violence by school authorities. Unsurprisingly, the Ghanaian education system remains one of the best in Africa today, producing highly proficient graduates who are in great demand globally.

Governor Fashola’s administration has boldly righted a festering injustice that has for decades been perpetrated against Nigerian children enrolled in schools nationwide, as well as in places of trade apprenticeship. Once again, Governor Fashola lives up to his billing as a leader far ahead of his time, now by endorsing the imperative to safeguard the BASIC human rights of Nigeria’s most important citizens – her children. For the betterment of Nigerian youth enrolled in schools and workplaces across the entire federation, the stellar, inspirational example just set by Governor Fashola is one well worthy of emulation, as it stands to swiftly transform Nigeria’s primary and secondary educational systems for the infinitely better.

Striking any adult person with a stick or other weapon constitutes a violent criminal offence statutorily classified as Felony Assault and Battery, for which jail sentences can be imposed after a fair trial, under Nigerian law. On the unassailable premise that schools exist to prepare students for life as productive, civilized and peaceful citizens of law-abiding societies, that fundamental prohibition of violence against adults must be extended to govern all conduct towards children within schools and workplaces throughout any nation that embraces human rights for human beings of every age demographic.
Re: Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. by kosoro: 1:53am On Jul 08, 2011
That's a good one!
Re: Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. by 190: 1:56am On Jul 08, 2011
BUT WOULD THEY STILL SELL KOBOKO IN LAGOS
Re: Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. by kandiikane(m): 2:02am On Jul 08, 2011
What punishments have now been placed for stubborn students? A time out, detention, suspension?

2 Likes

Re: Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. by adconline(m): 2:10am On Jul 08, 2011
How about Police, Military and LASTMA folks?
Re: Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. by Nobody: 2:23am On Jul 08, 2011
adconline:

How about Police, Military and LASTMA folks?
I think they got right to toture you when you resist arrest but under normal circumstances they ar' nt
Re: Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. by kandiikane(m): 2:29am On Jul 08, 2011
Tortured? The can use force if you resist but torture? NO
Re: Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. by adconline(m): 2:31am On Jul 08, 2011
I think they got right to toture you when you resist arrest but under normal circumstances they ar' nt

Nobody is empowered by law to torture anyone!
Re: Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. by amor4ce(m): 2:34am On Jul 08, 2011

From a purely medical standpoint, there is NO safe area of the human body suitable for assault with a stick or other blunt-force weapon.

What about the gluteus/heinie/buttocks - aren't they round and fleshy enough to absorb the strokes? How about a law restricting flogging to this area?
Re: Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. by PoRRa1: 2:39am On Jul 08, 2011
kandiikane:

What punishments have now been placed for stubborn students? A time out, detention, suspension?
i remember back in schooll, we had a teacher called Mr Ojo.  the man can flog anything. as in  enh, he will flog you till you bleed and nothing will happen.for stupid offenses like lateness to school.This law is long overdue. if you flog a brazillian like that  the student will kill you.
Re: Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. by Nobody: 3:08am On Jul 08, 2011
Toaskarity:

sorry for using torture but i cant get the right word
kandiikane:

Tortured? The can use force if you resist but torture? NO
but how cant they force anyone who resist arrest/insist without getting a beat?
Re: Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. by Nobody: 3:12am On Jul 08, 2011
@kandikane
i mean;but how can they force anyone who resist arrest/insist without getting a beat?
Re: Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. by EuroMeko(m): 3:19am On Jul 08, 2011
When I moved to Texas in 2006 I had to sign a form at the school telling them not to flog my kids.

So one can argue that Lagos State > Texas grin
Re: Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. by Jenifa1: 3:36am On Jul 08, 2011
YES!!!!

kandiikane:

good question.
Re: Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. by kandiikane(m): 3:43am On Jul 08, 2011
PoRRa!!!:

i remember back in schooll, we had a teacher called Mr Ojo.  the man can flog anything. as in  enh, he will flog you till you bleed and nothing will happen.for silly offenses like lateness to school.This law is long overdue. if you flog a brazillian like that  the student will kill you.

Lol, I remember once I called my teacher a goat and I had to go hospital because of the swelling on my bottocks. For my grandma to go to the school and disciple the teacher nooo she said "den miss yu."
I have had my fair share of beatings from teachers.

Toaskarity:

sorry for using torture but i cant get the right wordbut how cant they force anyone who resist arrest/insist without getting a beat?
I would not use the word torture-such a harsh word.
Re: Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. by DisGuy: 4:07am On Jul 08, 2011
Toaskarity:

@kandikane
i mean;but how can they force anyone who resist arrest/insist without getting a beat?

the same way it;s done in Dallas!
Re: Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. by DisGuy: 4:11am On Jul 08, 2011
but wont the church sue the govt over this?

Remember spare the rod, spoil the child!!

this is against our culture o! we must beat tourture children to ensure discipline

beating children mercilessly in Nigeria is a stress relieving mechanism by parents struggling under the perpetual recession in the country
Re: Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. by amor4ce(m): 4:37am On Jul 08, 2011
@kandiikane, you called your teacher (fellow man) a goat, didn't feel guilty and remorseful, and wanted pound of flesh?
Re: Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. by Nobody: 4:42am On Jul 08, 2011
Dis Guy:

the same way it;s done in Dallas!
no one resist arrest here / i have nt seen any, in nigeria they do! (esp the well positioned ones) even ordinally criminals on street do! while the the police react to its response!
Re: Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. by Nobody: 4:47am On Jul 08, 2011
but in actuall sense what do nigerian securities do to ordinary criminal in the street talk more of the one resisting arrest
Re: Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. by DisGuy: 4:53am On Jul 08, 2011
Toaskarity:

no one resist arrest here / i have nt seen any, in nigeria they do! (esp the well positioned ones) even ordinally criminals on street do! while the the police react to its response!

are you sure,? why do they have stun guns and pepperspray, people resist arrest there's just a way to deal with it without causing a scene, most especially as the police are usually in two's or well trained even!
Re: Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. by DisGuy: 4:55am On Jul 08, 2011
Toaskarity:

but in actuall sense what do nigerian securities do to ordinary criminal in the street talk more of the one resisting arrest

they hit them with the butt of the rifle or just shoot them, guilty or not! Nigerian police kill more civilians than armed robbers check the stats on their website (if it's working that is)
Re: Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. by Nobody: 5:26am On Jul 08, 2011
Dis Guy:

are you sure,? why do they have stun guns and pepperspray, people resist arrest there's just a way to deal with it without causing a scene, most especially as the police are usually in two's or well trained even!
as i said before i have never seen one resist arrest before so i havent seen the use of the above moreover we are talking about nigeria
Dis Guy:

they hit them with the butt of the rifle or just shoot them, guilty or not! Nigerian police kill more civilians than armed robbers check the stats on their website (if it's working that is)
i dont really know what you are insinuating,,,the above is toture to my own understandment,
Re: Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. by phuckNL: 5:33am On Jul 08, 2011
Naija skuls will soon go crazy. We already have students beating teachers in private and public schools. With this one now, the students will be the ones PUNISHING teachers oo

1 Like

Re: Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. by Yinkay: 6:30am On Jul 08, 2011
Bible says,spare the cane,spoil the child,
Re: Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. by Nobody: 7:01am On Jul 08, 2011
NOW HERE COME A GENERATION OF INDISCIPLINE, CORRUPT AND IMMORAL CHILDREN

We are Africans for crying out loud and not from the western society

Most of us with good character and high moral standard today achieved it all with the help of "uncle koboko or mr kpankere"

Not saying you need to use it on the child (always or otherwise) but the sight of seeing it surely cares the child and most times translates in him/her acting right.

20years from now they will regret this "law" they have passed because they will start hearing thing like this from their grand children;

"gerrout dad you s-u-c-k"

"grandma, why are you acting so silly?"

"grandpa, can't you just keep shut and let us concentrate on the tv rather than listening to your crooked voice".

God please save Africans from copy copy
Re: Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. by Nobody: 7:23am On Jul 08, 2011
Wow awesome!!! And no more hitting of kids!!

You don't beat a kid for going out to play for too long! It's a kid for god's sake the best thing for them is to play till they are tired!!

It's your job to make them do their home work and a little chore before you letr them join their peers,
Re: Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. by lolade4(f): 7:37am On Jul 08, 2011
Good move by Lagos state, the fact that most of the so-called punishment by teachers borders on torture/abuse makes this a welcomed development
Re: Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. by Demdem(m): 7:59am On Jul 08, 2011
i am not exicited about this at all. Anyway, parents aren't bound by law YET not to flog their kids
Re: Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. by TeeJay6(m): 8:01am On Jul 08, 2011
I'm in support of this; that said it does not mean schools cannot punish students just that they are no longer allowed to "flog" them.
Re: Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. by wendia: 8:11am On Jul 08, 2011
<p>Gardening is an extremely popular hobby in italy soccer jersey . New Jersey is also famous for its master gardener programs at Rutgers where from 1984 to 2008 the program has accumulated over 1.2 million juventus jersey hours by the locals willing to learn and help out, according to a report by the university. This program has been extremely beneficial for getting people more excited and liverpool jersey in gardening and landscaping in the area. </p>
Re: Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. by Mobinga: 8:19am On Jul 08, 2011
Lagos State : Leading Nigeria.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Www.jamb.org.ng / Is Ekiti The Most Educated State In Nigeria? / Abuja Teachers Shut Down Public Schools Over Unpaid Salary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.