Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,155 members, 7,835,850 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 04:13 PM

Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. (12936 Views)

FGGC, Akure Cooks Pick Pads Of Students For "Ritual Purposes" / Watch University Lecturer Flogging Students (video) / Crowd Of Students In Night Class At Unizik, Nnewi Campus. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. by Ndipe(m): 9:49pm On Jul 08, 2011
why cant I modify my earlier thoughts on this subject?
Re: Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. by aikuda(m): 10:56pm On Jul 08, 2011
@Abuna and camaldina,
What are you guys talking about? Do you know how many studenst get frustrated out of school by their teachers? So you think the only way to correct a child is to spank them.

Let me give my experience: When I was living with my uncle as child, I was late to school because as usual his wife wanted me to do so mcuh work ( cooking, sweeping the compound, and ensuring the my uncles children are taken to school etc) in the morning before going to school (as was always the case). On this fateful day, I met this teacher whom we all know smokes indian hemp before coming to school- he was dreaded even by other teachers. The teacher flogged me so hard on my back that my white uniform was all stained with blood. After that he asked me and the others to kneel on a concrete floor under the hot sun. When I got home even my uncle's wife that never normally cared cringed when she saw the marks on my back. Ofcourse she blamed me for going to school late.

Ofcourse, I was late on so many other occasions because of the chores I have to do as a child before going to school daily and got beaten many more times. This example is extreme I know, but there are many people who will tell you different beating episodes they suffered in the hands of teachers. My girl friend had to move to another school because of a school teacher. Not everyone has that luxery.

I can understand what you mean by the low moral standards in the western world, but at the end they are still better, overall, than us. Many white people I know respect others. but they also know how to fight for their right. It is wrong for teachers to be beating children for whatever reason. Its child abuse.
Re: Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. by aikuda(m): 11:03pm On Jul 08, 2011
@ MAD MAX, I totally agree with you.

[b]Any study linking youth pregnancy and crime to a dearth of flogging? There are different kinds of people with different temperaments and outlooks so we all have different upbringings.There is no 'we' that have a culture of 'strict' upbringing, and family values have nothing to do with flogging. A child is smaller than you and more vulnerable and will act like a child. It doesn't fall within the purview of a teacher to 'discipline' a child. His only job is to teach, nothing more. Any kind of disciplinary measure is the responsibility of the parents.The child will pass through the school in a while, but will remain the child of his parents for life.

Many of these teachers are sadists. A little power makes people a little mad and we always abuse it. It's not their job to 'discipline' a child, whatever that means. If the child is unruly the parents are told to see to it. Persistent bad behavior and the school will advise the parents to withdraw that child. By the time three or more schools have expelled that kid no one will tell hisparents to take him in hand, no one will tell him to behave himself.

Ghana has done this experiment successfully for decades, and that success is there for the world to see. No beating kids like animals and their educational system is far better than ours with all our flogging, and their society is far better and less corrupt than ours. You see figures showing the evil effects of the practice on kids and people are still yelling for it like it's crack. No wonder we don't progress as a country. It's a fantastic thing Fashola has done, and one hopes other governors will emulate the move. [/b]
Re: Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. by omokay01: 11:05pm On Jul 08, 2011
but in the western world beating of a child is highly prohibited. Your own child can report u to d police for canning him or her. What do u think of teacher canning in those places?
Re: Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. by Nobody: 11:06pm On Jul 08, 2011
Well now students only get to kneel down for long hours. . . damaging their knees as it carries all their body weight grin

hmm , no

Ok, Or they can now only pick-pin . . . but that would cause blood to rush to their head, causing prolonged dizziness and possible long-term vertigo  grin

hmm , darnit, that doesn't work either

Ok ok, How about just a knock on the head? . . . if that didn't lead to possible brain damage/tumor due to blunt force trauma.  tongue

CRAP! how will we teach 'em now?  cheesy cheesy
New generation of panzy arses.
Re: Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. by DisGuy: 11:18pm On Jul 08, 2011
2buff:

Well now students only get to kneel down for long hours. . . damaging their knees as it carries all their body weight grin

hmm , no

Ok, Or they can now only pick-pin . . . but that would cause blood to rush to their head, causing prolonged dizziness and possible long-term vertigo  grin

hmm , darnit, that doesn't work either

Ok ok, How about just a knock on the head? . . . if that didn't lead to possible brain damage/tumor due to blunt force trauma.  tongue

CRAP! how will we teach 'em now?  cheesy cheesy
New generation of panzy arses.

so you cant teach a child without inflicting pain?
with all the knocking and torture and very high morals we can see the result on the streets of lagos, aba and kano!

you sometimes get the feeling some people are inherently evil!
Re: Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. by Nobody: 11:20pm On Jul 08, 2011
190:

BUT WOULD THEY STILL SELL KOBOKO IN LAGOS

Probably, but more likely for "Malu". Bulls are stubborn as hell! grin
Re: Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. by Nobody: 11:21pm On Jul 08, 2011
This is a welcome move, and long overdue.
Re: Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. by DisGuy: 11:21pm On Jul 08, 2011
so those 1million naira a year schools in lagos, the kids are getting pregnant abi?

Why are all those British and 'international' schools in Nigeria filled to the brim?
Re: Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. by Nobody: 11:25pm On Jul 08, 2011
Dis Guy:

so you cant teach a child without inflicting pain?
with all the knocking and torture and very high morals we can see the result on the streets of lagos, aba and kano!

you sometimes get the feeling some people are inherently evil!

LOL I'm happy about the change.
that was just me mocking some people on here.
Re: Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. by camaldina(m): 12:18am On Jul 09, 2011
@ DisGuy Please while writing here, no personalization or insults. Lets stay with the topic

As per the British schools and other private schools swelling in sizes, they are getting filled because of the general decadence in public schools' standards -Just like private universities are doing.
And many Nigerian British schools still use corporal punishment to some extent (though not always, and not necessarily cane). You can find out from those working there especially those ones in Lekki.

Extreme caning is barbaric, no doubt. Canes should be rarely used in a good settings, we all agree. Sparing the rod too is madness as well.

WHAT ABOUT THE STATE FINDING OUT THE MENTAL STABILITY OF TEACHER?

However, the home still has the ultimate say in the upbringing of a child. That, I hold!
Re: Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. by HornyJane(f): 1:01pm On Jul 09, 2011
Nice move
Re: Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. by Abuna: 1:50pm On Jul 09, 2011
aikuda:

@Abuna and camaldina,
What are you guys talking about? Do you know how many studenst get frustrated out of school by their teachers? So you think the only way to correct a child is to spank them.

Let me give my experience: When I was living with my uncle as child, I was late to school because as usual his wife wanted me to do so mcuh work ( cooking, sweeping the compound, and ensuring the my uncles children are taken to school etc) in the morning before going to school (as was always the case). On this fateful day, I met this teacher whom we all know smokes indian hemp before coming to school- he was dreaded even by other teachers. The teacher flogged me so hard on my back that my white uniform was all stained with blood. After that he asked me and the others to kneel on a concrete floor under the hot sun. When I got home even my uncle's wife that never normally cared cringed when she saw the marks on my back. Ofcourse she blamed me for going to school late.

Ofcourse, I was late on so many other occasions because of the chores I have to do as a child before going to school daily and got beaten many more times. This example is extreme I know, but there are many people who will tell you different beating episodes they suffered in the hands of teachers. My girl friend had to move to another school because of a school teacher. Not everyone has that luxery.

I can understand what you mean by the low moral standards in the western world, but at the end they are still better, overall, than us. Many white people I know respect others. but they also know how to fight for their right. It is wrong for teachers to be beating children for whatever reason. Its child abuse.

No, I'm not advocating for child abuse but children need firm boundaries and if its spanking within reason then so be it. Here in the UK, the government is regretting all these 'rights' that have been given to pupils and are looking to pass a bill that will give schools some power to discipline pupils with some sort of reasonable force. We're quick to copy the West! Why? We're totally different from them. The demography is different. There are different races hence it made sense to outlaw it in the West. Just imagine what would happen when a white teacher clots a black pupil. There will be outcry of racism and if and do you honestly think a white parent will accept an African flogging thief wards?

There is complete breakdown down in the moral fibre of the UK society and the is clearly evident in the spate of murders especially amongst black kids. Kids killing kids. Why? Because their parents aren't allowed to discipline them. Sad! Even some white gloat about is saying its good because that way, the blacks would eliminate themselves. What shame! I'm going to rest my fingers now and these are entirely my own personal opinion by the way. Cheers.
Re: Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. by Nymphnode(m): 2:20pm On Jul 09, 2011
Arrrrgh! Not again! We all know that am not allowed to beat the mother(wife) but not the kids now. Bad law. On a serious note, you only need one bad apple in a class that cant be disciplined to corrupt the who school. Most of this teacher are packed with inferiority complex, take the cane away and you will see most of them burst into tears right in front of this untamed beasts . . . . . The fear of College of Education is the beginning of long life.
Re: Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. by DisGuy: 2:20pm On Jul 09, 2011
Abuna:

No, I'm not advocating for child abuse but children need firm boundaries and if its spanking within reason then so be it. Here in the UK, the government is regretting all these 'rights' that have been given to pupils and are looking to pass a bill that will give schools some power to discipline pupils with some sort of reasonable force.  We're quick to copy the West! Why? We're totally different from them. The demography is different. There are different races hence it made sense to outlaw it in the West. Just imagine what would happen when a white teacher clots a black pupil. There will be outcry of racism and  if and do you honestly think a white parent will accept an African flogging thief wards?  

There is complete breakdown down in the moral fibre of the UK society and the is clearly evident in the spate of murders especially amongst black kids. Kids killing kids. Why? Because their parents aren't allowed to discipline them. Sad! Even some white gloat about is saying its good because that way, the blacks would eliminate themselves. What shame! I'm going to rest my fingers now and these are entirely my own personal opinion by the way. Cheers.

Absolute tosh!

The kids are killing each other because they are not being tortured as a form of discipline? Are you saying blacks are better suited to corporate discipline more than whites

You wonder why people with higher moral fibre emigrate live and work in a society filled with people of lower moral fibre
Re: Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. by DisGuy: 2:24pm On Jul 09, 2011
Nymph node:

Arrrrgh! Not again! We all know that am not allowed to beat the mother(wife) but not the kids now. Bad law. On a serious note, you only need one bad apple in a class that cant be disciplined to corrupt the who school. Most of this teacher are packed with inferiority complex, take the cane away and you will see most of them burst into tears right in front of this untamed beasts . . . . . The fear of College of Education is the beginning of long life.

Excellent point, some see the cane as the only form of teaching, the same applies to people who are constantly fighting, they only way to express themselves or communicate is to lash out!!
Re: Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. by aikuda(m): 3:33pm On Jul 09, 2011
@Abuna,
I agree with you that there is serious breakdown of morality among the black community not only in the UK but in most parts of the western world. Come to think of even in Nigeria students are only afraid of their teachers until a certain age. Once they are old enough they start fighting the teacher. So all the beating in the world will not stop a stubborn child. But maybe compassion and and understanding of the child'd problem will help the teacher deal with the students better.

Do you know that many research has shown that children who experience violence ( beating, and other forms of abuse inclusive) tend to be violent and abusive? Black parents are known to beat their children in the western world as it is in Africa, maybe that that is why many black children grow up to embrace violence. Just a postulation.

Maybe we should ask ourselves where all these violence that is happening in nigeria today are coming from? All the beating we receive as children has not really helped us. Now compare that to the western world where children are respected and taught through humane ways how to live life. You be the judge of that.

My point is that. It is only a lazy teacher and foolish parent that think if you beat your child they will grow up better. Trust me they can only fear you until they can fight back, and after that the stubborn once will start kicking the @#$$% out of you. Maybe teachers, as well as parents need to learn how to deal with children without resorting to violence. Beating the child is only a short term solution. In the long run it makes the child worse. It psychologically traumatic to beat children. period.
Re: Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. by MeandSum: 3:36pm On Jul 09, 2011
camaldina:

Imagine a class of 23, year 10 (equivalent of your ss1 maybe). 8 are already fathers, mothers or expectant fathers or mothers.
Why? Freedom!
Freedom at home, freedom to do anything even at tender age.

That is just a typical class. Some are worse.
Actually, that has nothing to do with canning. It just shows you how morally bankrupt the African American communities are (you'll not see the same rate of pregnancy among the whites).
It really has nothing to do with canning a child.
Re: Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. by Gbenge77(m): 4:09pm On Jul 09, 2011
I reckon this is a very good law.
Re: Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. by juman(m): 4:28pm On Jul 09, 2011
Good move.

ACN need to make sure there is conducive environment for international students to come to study in our land. Government can get billions of dollars from there.
Re: Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. by Nobody: 4:35pm On Jul 09, 2011
cane gives children sense, responsibility, discipline and makes them show respect. to outlaw flogging is to welcome to Nigeria d same decadence dat has befallen the west. there is no appropriate time 2 outlaw flogging. d rule of canning is as potent 2day as it was decades ago. it may be painful but it is worth it. A teacher once flogged me and my nail fell out. it was painful but i learned 4rm dat. I dont blv in sending children 2 their room, scolding, or threatening. Flogging is good but not too the extreme. May God protect our children. (Amen)
Re: Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. by Tyche(m): 12:12am On Jul 10, 2011
This is kind of playing to the gallary.
Re: Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. by dramenda(f): 3:51am On Jul 10, 2011
Wish
Re: Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. by Knight1(m): 8:07pm On Jul 10, 2011
we need to borrow fashola in some states in this country
Re: Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. by Image123(m): 9:44am On Jul 11, 2011
Very wrong move, not a solution in any way. Godly parents are going to regret this in years to come. If anything, all that needs to be introduced is that each parent should sign as to whether they want cane punishment for their ward or not. And heavy sensitization on child abuse and discipline.
Children need to be moulded, and genuine moulding involves punishment given in love, and for good reason.
Re: Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. by kandiikane(m): 7:06pm On Jul 11, 2011
^^Out of love? They use that as an excuse to relieve the stress of their everyday lives.
Re: Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. by Image123(m): 8:43pm On Jul 11, 2011
^
Yes, in love. Correction can be done in love. That you think they use canning to relieve stress does not mean everybody uses caning to relieve stress. Not everyone is sadist. Children are like plants, and if they're not strongly corrected would grow up indisciplined and ungodly.
Re: Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. by DisGuy: 8:52pm On Jul 11, 2011
^^ hey look at the result of 50 years of flogging, I swear some people will bring back the killing of twins and cutting female genitals if they are allowed to!! (these are western ideologies we should not copy them!! female mutilation is African tradition cheesy
Re: Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. by Image123(m): 12:01am On Jul 12, 2011
^
50 years of flogging? Are you serious or just been sentimental? So flogging is the cause of the nation's troubles. Before it was the north, then military, then pdp, then GEJ, now flogging? Flogging is the cause of poverty and its brethren like frustration and anger? Flogging is the cause of sickness and psychological what? You think countries have made progress because they stopped flogging or because they laid solid foundations and discipline.
Re: Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. by DisGuy: 12:36am On Jul 12, 2011
Image123:

^
Yes, in love. Correction can be done in love. That you think they use canning to relieve stress does not mean everybody uses caning to relieve stress. Not everyone is sadist. Children are like plants, and if they're not strongly corrected would grow up indisciplined and ungodly.

how godly are kids in the country at the moment?
those at leadership position how godly are they since flogging makes one disciplined and godly
Re: Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. by DisGuy: 12:36am On Jul 12, 2011
*in leadership*

or you whip the hell out of them so they become godly and label them witches

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-195306.0.html
Re: Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. by Image123(m): 7:06am On Jul 12, 2011
^
I've not suggested that you should 'whip the hell' out of anyone. It's probably people like you that give caning a 'whip the hell' picture like abuse it, seeing that's your idea of caning. Caning can be done in moderation and in love. It's a medium of correction and A very good/effective one at that.
The 'ungodly' people you see have either not been corrected/trained, or were not properly trained. When discipline is not properly done or is abused, it won't achieve the aim, and that goes for ANYTHING abused as well.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Location/Information on UNN Annex In Lagos / ASUU: FG To Present Terms At Meeting Today / UNIBEN Suspends Three Students Over Protest — CAMPUS GIST

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.