Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,862 members, 7,821,009 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:42 AM

Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. (12921 Views)

FGGC, Akure Cooks Pick Pads Of Students For "Ritual Purposes" / Watch University Lecturer Flogging Students (video) / Crowd Of Students In Night Class At Unizik, Nnewi Campus. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. by mithel(m): 1:08pm On Jul 08, 2011
Da Doctor:

^^We are immitating the western world and leaving our traditional african system,rather than modify it^^^

Can we cope with what this will bring in time to come??

So an erring child in school wont be punished, caned, slapped? THEN WHAT WILL BE THE FORM OF DETTERENCE?

Later on this would reach the house fully and Gbege go start!

@Talknafree,,,I agree with you , lets open our arm and wait for the repercussion.

^^FOLLY IS BOUND IN THE HEART OF A CHILD BUT THE ROD OF DISCIPLINE DRIVES IT AWAY^^
^^SPARE THE ROD AND SPOIL A CHILD^^
^^CHASTEN THY CHILD WHEN THERE IS HOPE AND WHEN YOU BEAT HIM WITH THE ROD HE WOULD NOT DIE^^

NAIAJ I DEY HAIL O! Enough 'TEACHER SHUT UP, ' In our already dieing schools(in terms of morality)

Abegi,my school had a low flogging law too.they had other forms of punishment.

1)counselling.
2)weeding,(i think i weeded twice)
3)cleaning(window panes,chairs)(usual punishment for all those gals forming big gals in class)
4)toilet cleaning(trust me,this would correct anybody)
5)board cleaning(usually better,if it is chalk board)
6)public disgrace
7)if u cheated,ur forfeit that subject and get suspension + any of the above.
coolsuspension.(5 suspensions equals automatic expulsion)
9)expulsion.

Odas include sitting on the bare floor,getting sent out of class etc.

Shey all this punishments no reach ni. smiley
Re: Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. by DaDoctor: 1:11pm On Jul 08, 2011
^^Are most/all of the above not a form of torture?^^

Is minimal flogging not better than all these?

A child sits on the floor? What if it affects his pelvis or cause him harm
A child washes the toilet? What if he gets infected or doesnt know how to do same?

ABOVE ALL WHAT IF HE DISAGREES? YOU PILE UP THE PUNISHMENT?

LMAO!!
Re: Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. by mithel(m): 1:24pm On Jul 08, 2011
Da Doctor:

^^Are most/all of the above not a form of torture?^^

Is minimal flogging not better than all these?

A child sits on the floor? What if it affects his pelvis or cause him harm
A child washes the toilet? What if he gets infected or doesnt know how to do same?

ABOVE ALL WHAT IF HE DISAGREES? YOU PILE UP THE PUNISHMENT?

LMAO!!

Lmao,see you head.

If you disagree,dey go then
Lol.u no get work.i still dey laf sha.lol
Re: Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. by DaDoctor: 1:35pm On Jul 08, 2011
Lol!!Na so na
Re: Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. by solayemi(m): 1:49pm On Jul 08, 2011
it will be a good development if the law provides an alternative punishment. i think instead of banning beating out rightly they could have made provision for the arrest of anyone that beat to cause injuries.well, na naija we dey,let's see if the law can stand the test of time.
Re: Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. by seyibrown(f): 2:03pm On Jul 08, 2011
Many teachers and ogas abuse their position of authority and take out their frustrations on pupils/students. Great move by Lagos state as there are many other ways of punishing/correction erring students.
Re: Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. by CapnCrunch: 2:10pm On Jul 08, 2011
abeg this is a good law. how many teachers abuse their position. I remember when my fam was posted to Nigeria for one year, and this teacher mercilessley beat my sister till she was bleeding, my mom came to the school and almost strangled this guy. Leave the corporal Punishment to the parents and family members. If Nigerians are worried that their kids will turn out for the worse, dont blame the law, blame the bad parrenting at home,because parents refure to punish their kids
Re: Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. by BABE3: 2:30pm On Jul 08, 2011
Da Doctor:

@BABE! U dey saw wetin i dey seeing

Please our home would have its own standing order

I seen am o! They never jam!

You may want to edit the home part. (lol)

Tee_Jay:

the bottom line is in a country like nigeria, the teacher is just as indisciplined as the pupil, a state where people are power crazy; give a copper a gun and he would kill you over N5. So most teachers see the cain as a tool of terrorism instead of one for correcting wayward children. Like I said, there are other ways of punishing a child without inflicting injuries on him/her. I can count the number of times my father flogges me on one hand, yet I have total respect for the man, just goes to show that you cannot get people to respect you by flogging

Uhn??! Who said!? Ask my Mama---hehehe! I salute that gorgeous woman anywhere she dey right now.

I am a "product" of CP. Correct CP. (lol) Let's also remember that I'm 80% Ajebutter--almost spoilt (and a I know that myself). I'm the least violent person I know. Plus my parents are very proud of me --"the end product". The point I'm trying to make here is, so far the CP is too correct (with LOVE) --THERE'S ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG WITH IT.

Yes there are other ways of punishing a child--bla bla bla, and I believe those ways also work--- but CP is fast and effective.
Re: Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. by kpolli(m): 2:33pm On Jul 08, 2011
who wud monitor this??

abeg make them go park some where joh
Re: Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. by Gbenge77(m): 2:37pm On Jul 08, 2011
Fantastic.
Re: Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. by alexola20(m): 2:43pm On Jul 08, 2011
Re: Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. by camaldina(m): 3:18pm On Jul 08, 2011
[center]ogedenbajE alonpon![/center]

WHILE NOT FIND A MIDDLE COURSE INSTEAD OF IGNORANT EXTREMISM IN ALL WE DO?

Extreme use of cane is dangerous and yet,  its total absence is also evil.

Imagine Nigeria with its huge poverty having this kind of American social problem, 

If the Western Countries are economically more developed than Africa, I believe they lack one thing: a family culture, which emanated from our strict childhood upbringing.

MAYBE YOU HAVEN'T SEEN ENOUGH  TEENAGE PREGNANCY AND OTHER YOUTH CRIME.
Re: Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. by MadMax1(f): 3:58pm On Jul 08, 2011
Any study linking youth pregnancy and crime to a dearth of flogging? There are different kinds of people with different temperaments and outlooks so we all have different upbringings.There is no 'we' that have a culture of 'strict' upbringing, and family values have nothing to do with flogging. A child is smaller than you and more vulnerable and will act like a child. It doesn't fall within the purview of a teacher to 'discipline' a child. His only job is to teach, nothing more. Any kind of disciplinary measure is the responsibility of the parents.The child will pass through the school in a while, but will remain the child of his parents for life.

Many of these teachers are sadists. A little power makes people a little mad and we always abuse it. It's not their job to 'discipline' a child, whatever that means. If the child is unruly the parents are told to see to it. Persistent bad behavior and the school will advise the parents to withdraw that child. By the time three or more schools have expelled that kid no one will tell hisparents to take him in hand, no one will tell him to behave himself.

Ghana has done this experiment successfully for decades, and that success is there for the world to see. No beating kids like animals and their educational system is far better than ours with all our flogging, and their society is far better and less corrupt than ours. You see figures showing the evil effects of the practice on kids and people are still yelling for it like it's crack. No wonder we don't progress as a country. It's a fantastic thing Fashola has done, and one hopes other governors will emulate the move.
Re: Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. by camaldina(m): 4:19pm On Jul 08, 2011
SORRY THAT IS WHAT THEY ARE BATTLING WITH HERE. TEENAGE PREGNANCY IS AS RAMPANT AS WATER IN THE USA.
SOME TEACHERS IN NIGERIA ARE BAD
BUT
se oribibe logun orififo?

I AVOIDED UNNECESSARY FLOGGING WHILE SCHOOLING IN NIGERIA JUST BY BEING LAW ABIDING, SIMPLE!
I REMEMBER BEING AWARDED "BEST BEHAVED" THEN.

a well behaved student/child will seldom be canned by even the MOST sadist teacher/parent
Re: Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. by cvibe: 4:42pm On Jul 08, 2011
Can i sue my class teacher for flogging?
Re: Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. by aikuda(m): 6:19pm On Jul 08, 2011
Long over due. Anyway, if anyone flogs my child, I will sue the hell of out of the school. I am sure there are existing laws against such practices. They are just never pursued.
Re: Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. by MeandSum: 6:20pm On Jul 08, 2011
Demdem:

i am not exicited about this at all. Anyway, parents aren't bound by law YET not to flog their kids

I'll take it you flog your kids. Correct?
Re: Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. by DisGuy: 6:36pm On Jul 08, 2011
So the reason why there's high teenage pregnancy rate in America is because the teachers dont beat their pupils with cable wire?
Re: Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. by DisGuy: 6:39pm On Jul 08, 2011
camaldina:

SORRY THAT IS WHAT THEY ARE BATTLING WITH HERE. TEENAGE PREGNANCY IS AS RAMPANT AS WATER IN THE USA.
SOME TEACHERS IN NIGERIA ARE BAD
BUT
se oribibe logun orififo?

I AVOIDED UNNECESSARY FLOGGING WHILE SCHOOLING IN NIGERIA JUST BY BEING LAW ABIDING, SIMPLE!
I REMEMBER BEING AWARDED "BEST BEHAVED" THEN.

a well behaved student/child will seldom be canned by even the MOST sadist teacher/parent

hmm with many mentally disturbed people working in low income jobs, they beat all students for the offense of just one person
Re: Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. by Nobody: 7:34pm On Jul 08, 2011
^^^^^ correct! scammers!!!!!!!!!!!! everybody R.U.N angry
Re: Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. by Nobody: 7:54pm On Jul 08, 2011
camaldina:

[center]ogedenbajE alonpon![/center]

MAYBE YOU HAVEN'T SEEN ENOUGH TEENAGE PREGNANCY AND OTHER YOUTH CRIME.
why are you deceiving yourself! if nigeria is to record juvenile crime that happens within them. you will see that we have more crime than westerners. do you know how many nigerian teen that got pregnant at higher secondary school everyday talkmore of university girls? are we to talk about stealing of any kind(normal/schoolcheating)! raping!(they never say of these on the tv instead their nonsense politics! ). yet most of these children are been spanked by their guidiance!
there are so many ways to correct a child than spanking. so your thought of high juvenile crime if spanking is stoped is total false.
Re: Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. by MMM2(m): 8:10pm On Jul 08, 2011
Good 4 students
Re: Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. by Moves: 8:44pm On Jul 08, 2011
I support the law because it only applies to the School and Trade learning places, not at home. Parent are being made to be responsible for their wards, Also knowing Naija teachers, the sadist amongst them will devise some killing alternative punishment that errant pupil would actually prefer to be canned.
Re: Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. by Abuna: 8:56pm On Jul 08, 2011
I am a secondary school teacher in London and I promise you, this is the beginning of the end of Nigerian kids/Youth. embarassed
Re: Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. by Dclique(m): 8:56pm On Jul 08, 2011
Interesting. . .
Re: Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. by camaldina(m): 9:14pm On Jul 08, 2011
I have also taught in Nigerian Schools before teaching in the USA.
(Even though it was a no-cane British system)
Hell - that is the word to describe their youth when it comes to morals.
Nigerians at home think because our economy is bad, everything is bad about country,
No!
Lets fix corruption out from our politics, that is all. Our morals is far head.

Spare rod, spoil the child, destroy the society.

Sorry, can your police chase criminals (just teenagers) with choppers?
Em, any forensic expert at local police station (apart from Alagbon?)
Re: Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. by Ndipe(m): 9:22pm On Jul 08, 2011
Thumbs up to the law. That would put in check the sadistic nature of some teachers in the educational sector. I absolutely detest the manner corporal punishment is instituted in Nigeria. I have always said this, when I have kids and they are punished unjustly, I wont take it kindly with that teacher. I know teachers who have sworn for parents who questioned their barbaric methods on their kids with parents simply biting their tongue or worse, pleading with them to be more lenient with their children. That's completely unacceptable. If a child misbehaves in class, a swat in the buttocks is fine, or send them home to be disciplined by their parents. If their action is deplorable, expell them. Dont cane them mercilessly with sticks on their bare buttocks and excuse your barbaric actions with the Biblical adage that says, 'Spare the rod, spoil the child." There must be a limit.
Re: Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. by camaldina(m): 9:24pm On Jul 08, 2011
[b]Imagine a class of 23, year 10 (equivalent of your ss1 maybe). 8 are already fathers, mothers or expectant fathers or mothers.
Why? Freedom!
Freedom at home, freedom to do anything even at tender age.
[/b

That is just a typical class. Some are worse.
Re: Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. by DisGuy: 9:32pm On Jul 08, 2011
camaldina:

[b]Imagine a class of 23, year 10 (equivalent of your ss1 maybe). 8 are already fathers, mothers or expectant fathers or mothers.
Why? Freedom!
Freedom at home, freedom to do anything even at tender age.
[/b

That is just a typical class. Some are worse.

any particular reason why you are not teaching Nigerian students in Nigeria, where they are very respectful of the cane; instead of having to deal with those spoilt brat who didn't get caned whilst growing up?
Re: Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. by oladayo042: 9:49pm On Jul 08, 2011
Thank God my kids will not be caned like I was.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

EKSU ASUU Chairman Invades Governing Council Meeting, VC Reacts / I Was Invited For TOTAL Scholarship Aptitude Test. / Is Ekiti The Most Educated State In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.