Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,409 members, 7,830,054 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 03:37 PM

At What Age Should A Child Be Allowed To Have A Mobile Phone With Internet? - Phones (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / At What Age Should A Child Be Allowed To Have A Mobile Phone With Internet? (22769 Views)

Suggest A Mobile App That Has Been Helpful To You / Dear Customer You Are Not Allowed To Call This Number / A Nairalander Built A Mobile Phone Charger (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: At What Age Should A Child Be Allowed To Have A Mobile Phone With Internet? by phemmyfour: 3:43pm On Apr 21, 2022
AdiokOnoNland:
Have been curious to ask this question for a long now but thanks for today have finally asked it.

So please I want to know at what age should a child be allowed to have a mobile phone with internet?
@18
Re: At What Age Should A Child Be Allowed To Have A Mobile Phone With Internet? by abeliver: 3:45pm On Apr 21, 2022
make we stop to deceive ourself...Phone or internet no dey spoil person, na person dey spoil person.

na person decide to Bleep post am for xvideo or xnxx

na person decide to do yahoo post am for Facebook and WhatsApp

na person decide to stab another person and others post am online

the internet was innocent until Humans decided to ruin everything like they've been doing.

1 Like

Re: At What Age Should A Child Be Allowed To Have A Mobile Phone With Internet? by Abuazeez(m): 3:45pm On Apr 21, 2022
Dear Parents

If you must get your children Android Portable Devices, you need to follow the below steps to be safe:

1. Register a gmail account for them with the correct age and with your email as the parent.

2. Install Google Family Link on your own phone.

3. Add their registered e-mail to your Google Family Link.

4. Factory Reset their android device if they already have one then login the device with their own gmail account that is linked to your Google Family Link.

5. If it is new device, make sure it is their gmail you use to activate the device.

6. Immediately you carry out step 4 & 5 above, your phone will get a notification to allow them activate the device, this is the beginning of you taking control from anywhere.

7. All adult content of any form will never load in their phone.

8. They cannot install anything without your approval remotely from the Family Link.

9. You can lock their device from anywhere.

10. You can set a start and stop time for their device usage, the phone will lock when it gets to that time even if you forget.

11. YouTube will not allow them see adult content too.

12. There is also YKids, which is YouTube for Kids, I recommend you remove the normal YouTube and give them YKids.

13. From your Google Family Link, you can see how long they stayed on each app or page to warn them where necessary.

14. You will see as much as major details of the app.

Dear Parents, let's protect the morality of our Children.
��

1 Like

Re: At What Age Should A Child Be Allowed To Have A Mobile Phone With Internet? by BigDawsNet: 3:46pm On Apr 21, 2022
High School for assignments
Re: At What Age Should A Child Be Allowed To Have A Mobile Phone With Internet? by FireUpNow(m): 3:46pm On Apr 21, 2022
17 is okay by me
Re: At What Age Should A Child Be Allowed To Have A Mobile Phone With Internet? by Fcwilly: 3:46pm On Apr 21, 2022
No age limit, but I believe most phone has parental control device in it, by the time you put restrictions on the phone the child will not have access to harmful contents. Then time to time go through the phone as a parent and guidance that you are.
Re: At What Age Should A Child Be Allowed To Have A Mobile Phone With Internet? by drmuchin: 3:47pm On Apr 21, 2022
After passing Jamb, prior to that they can use fixed mobile phone at home .
Re: At What Age Should A Child Be Allowed To Have A Mobile Phone With Internet? by folake4u(f): 3:49pm On Apr 21, 2022
pocohantas:
Someone mentioned emergency and people are already attacking her. People I am sure do not have kids nor have they had to babysit even a dog.

You think parents give their kids smartphones just because they want to? Some do, not all.

In this busy generation, parents video call their kids intermittently to check on them. You don’t just leave them with the nanny or whoever and assume all is well.

If they didn’t use phones in 1902, that is on them. They also didn’t use emails, they trekked kilometres with scrolls. You can revert to that, since you are so fixated on the bad side of technology.

The most important thing is PARENTAL CONTROL. A lot of parents do not know how to implement this, even on electronic appliances.

5yrs old kids in India are coding and you are here saying your child wouldn’t use internet until they are 72. Mtcheeew!

grin grin

Like you said, it all boils down to Parental control.
Recently, there was a 16yr old boy who was sponsored by an Italian company because he was good at coding. He don japa like this. cheesy
Imagine if he now had to wait at 72 before he seize that opportunity. lipsrsealed

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: At What Age Should A Child Be Allowed To Have A Mobile Phone With Internet? by AbuAeesha: 3:50pm On Apr 21, 2022
Kazeem47:
I think After Secondary school too.But sometimes the child needs the phone as early as possible in case of emergency.Whst matters most is proper upbringing and prayer too.Because some children can still get access to phone from other children and sometimes from older adults which is bad because you can't monitor them.
i believe if such child needs fone for emergency,it mustn't be a smart fone.

1 Like

Re: At What Age Should A Child Be Allowed To Have A Mobile Phone With Internet? by Nobody: 3:51pm On Apr 21, 2022
If you must get your children Android Portable Devices, you need to follow the below steps to be safe:

1. Register a gmail account for them with the correct age and with your email as the parent.
4. Factory Reset their android device if they already have one then login the device with their own gmail account that is linked to your Google Family Link.
5. If it is new device, make sure it is their gmail you use to activate the device.
6. Immediately you carry out step 4 & 5 above, your phone will get a notification to allow them activate the device, this is the beginning of you taking control from anywhere.
8. They cannot install anything without your approval remotely from the Family Link.
10. You can set a start and stop time for their device usage, the phone will lock when it gets to that time even if you forget.
12. There is also YKids, which is YouTube for Kids, I recommend you remove the normal YouTube and give them YKids.
13. From your Google Family Link, you can see how long they stayed on each app or page to warn them where necessary.
14. You will see as much as major details of the baby app.

A very good measure to help you and your kids from stories that touch the heart.
Re: At What Age Should A Child Be Allowed To Have A Mobile Phone With Internet? by Nobody: 3:52pm On Apr 21, 2022
As soon as they gain admission into the University
Re: At What Age Should A Child Be Allowed To Have A Mobile Phone With Internet? by yinkeys(m): 3:52pm On Apr 21, 2022
Kazeem47:
I think After Secondary school too.But sometimes the child needs the phone as early as possible in case of emergency.Whst matters most is proper upbringing and prayer too.Because some children can still get access to phone from other children and sometimes from older adults which is bad because you can't monitor them.
Education tabs are available
Or they could have the family PC (desktop format)

1 Like

Re: At What Age Should A Child Be Allowed To Have A Mobile Phone With Internet? by a2d3rew(m): 3:55pm On Apr 21, 2022
After finish Junior secondary School
Re: At What Age Should A Child Be Allowed To Have A Mobile Phone With Internet? by Cognitivereason: 4:02pm On Apr 21, 2022
Phone without internet from jss1

Jss3-ss1 is fine with internet

Even if u give the child a phone at 25..
If e wan spoil e go spoil..let not be delusional

All this ones saying until he is done with secondary school are probably not thinking well...

In this era, u allow a child to wait till he enters uni b4 u give he /she smartphone to learn how to operate?

Just install some sort of parental control on the device..
Re: At What Age Should A Child Be Allowed To Have A Mobile Phone With Internet? by Slayar: 4:03pm On Apr 21, 2022
Ss3
Re: At What Age Should A Child Be Allowed To Have A Mobile Phone With Internet? by Gamesmart: 4:04pm On Apr 21, 2022
RapistOnBail:

6 Years.

My kids have to tear eyes early in life.

The world will help them tear their eyes. No worry!
Re: At What Age Should A Child Be Allowed To Have A Mobile Phone With Internet? by RALPHOW(m): 4:05pm On Apr 21, 2022
Mobile Phone with Internet should be after SSCE
He/She may have touch light phone for communication purposes at early age, depends on the need.
Re: At What Age Should A Child Be Allowed To Have A Mobile Phone With Internet? by Vinnie2000(m): 4:06pm On Apr 21, 2022
Gamesmart:

And their friends and peers will send them a clip of the girl with the big breast that was giving a nice BJ that they saw.

Who do you think they are most likely to listen to?
Honestly, it should NOT be too late! One day, dey may be embarassed outside due to dier inability to use an Android phone! 13,14yrs is not bad.
Re: At What Age Should A Child Be Allowed To Have A Mobile Phone With Internet? by FRANKOSKI(m): 4:07pm On Apr 21, 2022
IF YOU DON'T BUY FOR HER , HER SCHOOL MATES WILL .
Re: At What Age Should A Child Be Allowed To Have A Mobile Phone With Internet? by xynerise: 4:08pm On Apr 21, 2022
I believe there is a Smartphone for kids?

More like Tablet for kids
Re: At What Age Should A Child Be Allowed To Have A Mobile Phone With Internet? by We4all: 4:08pm On Apr 21, 2022
pocohantas:
Someone mentioned emergency and people are already attacking her. People I am sure do not have kids nor have they had to babysit even a dog.

You think parents give their kids smartphones just because they want to? Some do, not all.

In this busy generation, parents video call their kids regularly to check on them. You don’t just leave them with the nanny or whoever and assume all is well.

If they didn’t use phones in 1902, that is on them. They also didn’t use emails, they trekked kilometres with scrolls. You can revert to that, since you are so fixated on the bad side of technology.

The most important thing is PARENTAL CONTROL. A lot of parents do not know how to implement this, even on electronic appliances.

5yrs old kids in India are coding and you are here saying your child wouldn’t use internet until they are 72. Mtcheeew!

Yes, for emergencies, but we still have land lines. It mustn’t be a mobile phone.

Children are not expected to be left alone. So if the parents want to do video calls, they should call the line of the adult who is supposed to be with them.

When there was no mobile phone, didn’t we survive? Unfortunately, most parents that encourage the use of mobile phones do so to show off and compete amongst themselves.
Re: At What Age Should A Child Be Allowed To Have A Mobile Phone With Internet? by We4all: 4:10pm On Apr 21, 2022
Vinnie2000:
Honestly, it should NOT be too late! One day, dey may be embarassed outside due to dier inability to use an Android phone! 13,14yrs is not bad.

Embarrassed as in? Does it take a day to learn how to use an android phone?
Re: At What Age Should A Child Be Allowed To Have A Mobile Phone With Internet? by pocohantas(f): 4:10pm On Apr 21, 2022
We4all:

Yes, for emergencies, but we still have land lines. It mustn’t be a mobile phone.

Children are not expected to be left alone. So if the parents want to do video calls, they should call the line of the adult who is supposed to be with them.

When there was no mobile phone, didn’t we survive? Unfortunately, most parents that encourage the use of mobile phones do so to show off and compete amongst themselves.

I mentioned video call. The parents that do it to show off are on their own and not my concern. I see no reason a parent can’t give their child a communication device in 2022. None at all…

2 Likes

Re: At What Age Should A Child Be Allowed To Have A Mobile Phone With Internet? by DonroxyII: 4:11pm On Apr 21, 2022
AdiokOnoNland:
Have been curious to ask this question for a long now but thanks for today have finally asked it.

So please I want to know at what age should a child be allowed to have a mobile phone with internet?
At the Age of Maturity. A sane Parent should have built Maturity in their children from age 7years old or 8years old at Most.

Once a Child understand s/he is a Human Being, Maturity training has begun because they demselves will ask questions and Your answers must be conveyed alongside Maturity. Once they show understanding of their contemporary world, Phone wouldn't be a big deal for them to Handle under close control both remote and onsite.
Re: At What Age Should A Child Be Allowed To Have A Mobile Phone With Internet? by We4all: 4:12pm On Apr 21, 2022
Excelloque:

14. You will see as much as major details of the baby app.

A very good measure to help you and your kids from stories that touch the heart.

How many parents are tech savvy to do all these? Children shouldn’t be allowed access to mobile phones. That is why we have land lines.
Re: At What Age Should A Child Be Allowed To Have A Mobile Phone With Internet? by mrdino(m): 4:12pm On Apr 21, 2022
AdiokOnoNland:

At elementary school he/she uses a simple feature phone. If there's need for internet access (perhaps for school assignments) it would be under the supervision of a trusted adult. The same will be applicable when he/she gets to high school. They will only get a smart phone after graduating from high school.
Re: At What Age Should A Child Be Allowed To Have A Mobile Phone With Internet? by Badonasty(m): 4:16pm On Apr 21, 2022
18 years old
Re: At What Age Should A Child Be Allowed To Have A Mobile Phone With Internet? by zakkxx: 4:22pm On Apr 21, 2022
Even after high school I was not allow to get a phone till I enter higher institution! No child should be allow to have a phone if not your daughter will deliver like Christ island student
Re: At What Age Should A Child Be Allowed To Have A Mobile Phone With Internet? by We4all: 4:23pm On Apr 21, 2022
pocohantas:

I mentioned video call. The parents that do it to show off are on their own and not my concern. I see no reason a parent can’t give their child a communication device in 2022. None at all…

That behavior of that little girl from Chrisland school is more than enough reason.

Why?

Because there are others like her who are yet to be bursted.

Kids love to explore and even if you caution them not to do certain things on the internet, they will go against you.

Majority of kids with smart phones use it to watch explicit videos and play games. So even if they don’t own a phone, they won’t miss out.

In my opinion, children should only have access to mobile phones when they are old enough to take responsibilities for their actions.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Threads: Ten Million Join Meta's Twitter Rival, Zuckerberg Says / Unboxing The Lumsing 10400mah Power Bank: A Nairalander’s Review / How can I scan my mobile phone for viruses

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.