Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,154 members, 7,818,495 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:18 PM

Takes Of A Medical Student. - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Takes Of A Medical Student. (165 Views)

Stanley Nwanne: Final Year UNICAL Medical Student Commits Suicide (Pics) / COVID-19: A Medical Team From China Coming To Nigeria Soon - Osagie Ehanire / Hepatitis B; From A Medical Laboratory Scientist Perspective (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Takes Of A Medical Student. by ClassicPesGamer(m): 6:15pm On Apr 21, 2022
No course is easy to study as each course has its challenges. Basically, a medical student studies a medical course in the University. Some of the common medical courses in Nigeria Universities include Medicine and Surgery, Dentistry, Medical Laboratory Science, Physiotherapy, Nursing, Anatomy, Physiology and so on.I am a medical student currently studying Medical Laboratory Science in University of Ilorin and below are some of the challenges I (and most medical students) face;

1. High Cost Of Medical Textbooks.

Medical textbooks are quite expensive, especially the advanced ones. Majority of these textbooks are imported (as they are not written by Nigerians) and I think this contributes to the high cost (exchange rates). Not only are these textbooks expensive, but they are also voluminous and takes time to read.

2. High Cost Of Studying.

Medical courses are more expensive to study when compared to some other courses in the Nigerian Universities. Cost of laboratory practical manuals, laboratory practical fees, researches and so on contributes to the high cost of studying Medical courses. Laboratory practicals are important parts of medical courses because they enable students to understand complicated concepts better.

3. Long Duration of Study.

Most people will agree with me that medical courses have one of the longest duration of Study in Nigerian Universities. This is necessary to make students master the courses well inorder to avoid costly mistakes (that can claim human lives). To study medical courses, one must be ready to dedicate his/her time. Also, at the end of normal duration of Study, medical students undergo one year of internship before going for National Youth Service Corps (NYSC)
CONCLUSION;
As I earlier noted, no course is easy to study in the University as every course has its challenges. Medical courses on the other hand have more challenges due to how complicated and hard it is (human lives are involved). This is not to scare anyone but rather to make you have a glimpse of the challenges medical students face.
Feel free to add your contributions, questions and opinions in the comments section.

(1) (Reply)

Any Cure For Mood Swings? / Working Out Yet No Results. ...here's Why / Cost Of Family Planning

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.