Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,369 members, 7,812,059 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:27 AM

Islamic Banking, Instrument Of Oppression – Anglican Primate - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islamic Banking, Instrument Of Oppression – Anglican Primate (971 Views)

Primate Elijah Ayodele's 2016 Prophecies: Corruption Will Fight Buhari / Primate Ayodele Unveils His Prediction For 2016 / Primate Ayodele Prophesizes Doom For Buhari And APC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Islamic Banking, Instrument Of Oppression – Anglican Primate by Gift4all(m): 11:37am On Jul 08, 2011
By Festus Ahon

UGHELLI – PRIMATE of Anglican Communion, Nigeria, Most Revd. Nicholas Okoh, has described the introduction of Islamic banking by the Governor of Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN, Mr. Lamido Sanusi, as a religious oppressive instrument and a tool for social coercion of the poor to convert to Islam.

Okoh, who spoke to newsmen, yesterday, at Agbarha-Otor, Ughelli North Local Government Area, Delta State, said it was a follow up to demands by Boko Haram for the application of Sharia all over the country.

He said: “In 10 years from now, it would have grown and matured to what it is intended to be- a religious oppressive instrument and tool for social coercion of the poor to convert to Islam. It is heavily skewed to put other non-interest banking at disadvantage.

“We have closely followed the CBN Governor as he arranged and rearranged his proposals, his approach to the issue of non-interest banking as it affects non-Muslims is less than sincere.

“Many Nigerians are worried about the way and manner the CBN Governor rides roughshod over the other people’s faith to promote Islam. Let it be emphatically said that Islamic banking is not only banking, and should not be left to bankers. It is part and parcel of Islamic evangelism.

“It is a follow up to the Organisation of Islamic Conference, OIC, membership, the Sharia agenda, awkward membership of D8 and demands by Boko Haram for the application of Sharia all over the country,” he added.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/07/islamic-banking-instrument-of-oppression-anglican-primate/
Re: Islamic Banking, Instrument Of Oppression – Anglican Primate by seyibrown(f): 4:13pm On Jul 08, 2011
He said: “In 10 years from now, it would have grown and matured to what it is intended to be- a religious oppressive instrument and tool for social coercion of the poor to convert to Islam.

Islamic banking will benefit many(mainly Muslims if discriminatorily applied) but the above quoted is a source of concern for many. There are already instances in Asia where Islam gives charity to people ONLY on the basis that they convert to Islam. I forsee the requirement (compulsion) to convert to Islam as a requirement to using Islamic banking service where such Islamic banks are the only ones available in certain localities. Aren't Banks already getting REGIONAL or National licences? Aren't children who are not muslims being forced to wear Hijabs to school in the Sharia states?
Re: Islamic Banking, Instrument Of Oppression – Anglican Primate by alienvirus: 4:18pm On Jul 08, 2011
^^^just as d missionaries forced muslims to become christians when they arrived nigeria. Some pple talk with no sense.
Re: Islamic Banking, Instrument Of Oppression – Anglican Primate by seyibrown(f): 5:02pm On Jul 08, 2011
alienvirus:

^^^just as d missionaries forced muslims to become christians when they arrived nigeria. Some pple talk with no sense.

. . . and these missionaries were Nigerians? That some people did things the wrong way decades ago means we should carry on in the same manner? Colonial Nigeria is the same as Nigeria of today? You have got plenty of the kind of sense I don't have, Bro!
Re: Islamic Banking, Instrument Of Oppression – Anglican Primate by tpia5: 5:06pm On Jul 08, 2011
alienvirus:

can you give examples of muslims who were forced to become christians, in nigeria.

i hate the way you people lie.

lugard and the other colonials expressly signed contracts and memorandums forbidding christian activity in the north, to oblige the northern rulers.

as such, missionaries were never active there.

you're either pretending to be nigerian or simply astoundingly ignorant, i'm sure. undecided
Re: Islamic Banking, Instrument Of Oppression – Anglican Primate by edynasty: 5:19pm On Jul 08, 2011
I really seem surprised at the way our Men of God are responding over this Islamic issue. To my understanding, Islamic banking is only a form of banking, its not like they will name a building "islamic banking" instead banks will operate the form thru' a license.

so why the unnecessary fuzz? undecided
Re: Islamic Banking, Instrument Of Oppression – Anglican Primate by Jenwitemi(m): 8:30am On Jul 11, 2011
Don't be fooled, mate. This is a tiptoe islamic conversion tactic. That is all it is. It starts seemingly innocent, but further down the line. . .
That a banking system - that is supposed to be secular in nature - has a religious undertone, should be seen as alarming and dangerous by all Nigerian non-muslims and they would and should reject it totally. It stinks of nothing but big trouble in the future.
e.dynasty:

I really seem surprised at the way our Men of God are responding over this Islamic issue. To my understanding, Islamic banking is only a form of banking, its not like they will name a building "islamic banking" instead banks will operate the form thru' a license.

so why the unnecessary fuzz?  undecided
Re: Islamic Banking, Instrument Of Oppression – Anglican Primate by vedaxcool(m): 10:46pm On Jul 11, 2011
e.dynasty:

so why the unnecessary fuzz? undecided

You ask why the fuzz? It is simple; The "I want to have whatever they have mentality is the centre of it all" As long as the christians cannot replicate their own form of banking( current interest Banking is more of a Jewish invention), they will continue to raise foolish off sense points. They say the bank would require conversion to Islam? Haba, even if someone intelligence is lower than a mountain goat, you should pretend to be more wiser, Is the Islamic Bank going to become the sole bank in Nigeria? Only when Islamic Banking becomes the sole banking procedure in Nigeria then is that remotely possible. Again to show us their famed Intelligence they invent another more mind boggling off sense point by claiming it goes against the secular nature of Nigeria, really? this seems strange in every sense, we have universities that were set up by religious bodies, and this universities were given license by the authority yet then it did not contravene the Secular nature of the Nigerian constitutions, What a pity that these so called religious individuals are hell bent on falling lies from their mouth without shame. I plea with them to behave honorably when it comes to anything we do. Now to show you how dumb their logics are, what if an Islamic Bank makes it mandatory for a christian to become a muslim before he can enjoy the service, the question i how would they know whether the person is lying? or do you fools think they is a central registry for all muslims in Nigeria? are people this dumb? let be real people? again some one was comparing Islamc banking with charity, how funny, peoples money areinvolved in this venture, they seek profit in it. Again someone claimed that Shariah forced yound girls to wear Hijab, that in itself is a crusader Lie, recently I was in Kano 2 weeks back, and I saw the way a particular lady dressed, defiantely it went contra to the shariah, yet she freely walked the streets without any harrasment, In this age of info tech one would expect this people to be atleast informed rather than serving as rumour peddlers. Read! and you wuld see beyound the shackles your leaders place on your ankles.
Re: Islamic Banking, Instrument Of Oppression – Anglican Primate by seyibrown(f): 11:42pm On Jul 11, 2011
vedaxcool:

Again someone claimed that Shariah forced yound girls to wear Hijab, that in itself is a crusader Lie, recently I was in Kano 2 weeks back, and I saw the way a particular lady dressed, defiantely it went contra to the shariah, yet she freely walked the streets without any harrasment, In this age of info tech one would expect this people to be atleast informed rather than serving as rumour peddlers. Read! and you wuld see beyound the shackles your leaders place on your ankles.

Go back and read my post! You will find the word 'Children', in relation to 'schools', not 'young girls' or 'lady'! It is not a rumour that the shariah that was said would only apply to muslims is being apllied to non-muslims in the shariah states!

In Nigeria, there is good reason to be wary of any propositions labelled islamic!

Re: Islamic Banking, Instrument Of Oppression – Anglican Primate by vedaxcool(m): 12:35am On Jul 12, 2011
seyibrown:

Go back and read my post! You will find the word 'Children', in relation to 'schools', not 'young girls' or 'lady'! It is not a rumour that the shariah that was said would only apply to muslims is being apllied to non-muslims in the shariah states!
Funny, doesn't your clarification makes your point out of balance? In the shariah, chidren are not seen as principal SUBJECTS in shariah enforcement, rather ladies/adults are seen as the ones that deserve policing and hence it would have made more sense, forcing ladies to wear hijab in the street rather than school girls in a classroom. in any case i find the story amusing, as this confirms my point that you are a rumour peddler:

[b]RE: NORTHERN CHRISTIAN ASSOCIATION OF NIGERIA (CAN)

OPPOSE MUSLIM DRESS CODE FOR KANO STUDENTS

The attention of the Kano State Government has been drawn to news reports in several newspapers, specifically those of the Sunday Tribune of August 05, 2007 titled “Christian Elders Gang-up Against Sultan” and Sunday Vanguard of same date titled “Christian Elders Oppose Muslim Dress Code for Kano Students” where the Northern Chapter of the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) accused the state government of planning to announce a policy to force non-muslim female students to wear Hijab, among others.

Some excerpts of the statement credited to CAN are here reproduced.

“Northern (CAN) frowned at the directive which made it a must for students of all schools irrespective of cultural and religious inclination to wear the Islamic mode of dressing to school”. (Sunday Tribune, August 05, 2007).

“The right of a large segment of the population of the state was being infringed by those that had sworn to protect and defend those rights as enshrined in the Nigerian Constitution where harmony and diversity are recognized and protected” (Sunday Vanguard, August 05, 2007).

The Kano State Government waited to see if the spokesman of Northern CAN were misquoted in the said publication and if so weather they would come-up with a retraction, but their silence confirms that the news is authentic hence we decided to come with this clarification.

It is sad that an organized body like CAN would base its official position on newspaper rumours and would proceed to issue a statement, indicting the state government without exhausting all avenues for official clarification.[/b]

The true position is that, a law has been in existence for long time in Kano State requiring all female muslim students in public schools to wear Hijab. While the Hijab is mandatory for female muslims, female non-muslims were directed to dress decently but not compelled to wear the Hijab

http://www.gamji.com/article6000/NEWS7305.htm

again it seems CAN is only interested in creating disharmony amongst muslims and christians, but the stranger point is that you an enlightened individual hardly takes time out to research the lies that are fiosted on you Christians. It is more troubling that despite the fact that many christian schools force muslims to take CRK, something my younger brother experienced, which clearly shows how certain elements in Christianity are willing to force christianity on muslims, you still pretend not notice such happen, I plea with you to be honest in your dealings

seyibrown:

In Nigeria, there is good reason to be wary of any propositions labelled islamic!

Yes be informed before being wary, that is a more respectable position to take on matters, you again proved the thread that accuses Christians of openly being Hostile to Islam to being partly right, your hostility against Islam will not earn you salvation, nay it will lead you to AL Hutama.
Re: Islamic Banking, Instrument Of Oppression – Anglican Primate by seyibrown(f): 10:49pm On Jul 13, 2011
You may call it hostility; I see nothing wrong in pointing out that this particular 'honey coated apple' contains plenty of 'arsenic'! smiley smiley
Re: Islamic Banking, Instrument Of Oppression – Anglican Primate by vedaxcool(m): 11:33pm On Jul 13, 2011
You have really not showed how you expose the honey quoted apple tp contain arsenic.
But I have showed on the issue of compelling non muslim Children wearing Hijab, that your point was premise on falsehood and deliberate distortion shocked shocked shocked of the truth by CAN and people like you who wholeheartedly accept whatever they are told by their CAN handlers. Now your tale is based on what exactly, SUSPICION, that have no basis, you pretend to have the ability to read peoples minds yet your mind reading technique failed you when you could not detect that your CAN people lied on the issue of non muslims children wearing Hijab to school. People debate based on concrete issues not on suspicions. Accordin to adebigte there is a Christian share holder in Jaiz bank, well that simply demolish your point. Your Hostility stems from the fact that you spread false news about muslims.

(1) (Reply)

Why Why Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy Nairaland / What Do You Think About God / Shall We Ban Religion?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.