Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,910 members, 7,835,043 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 02:01 AM

Finance: Aganga Makes Way For Okonjo-Iweala - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Finance: Aganga Makes Way For Okonjo-Iweala (4529 Views)

Fuel Importation Will End In 2018 – Aganga / CAC To Register Businesses In 48 Hours - Aganga / Segun Aganga Attacked For Helping Indian Car Manufacturers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Finance: Aganga Makes Way For Okonjo-Iweala by lagcity(m): 9:50pm On Jul 09, 2011
brilliant! let's put another incompetent ibo there because she can talk till kingdom come angry. i just hope she doesn't disgrace us again like sister Dora and her "rebranding" strategy grin. crap. who am i kidding. okoros can't plan and strategize to save their lives.
Re: Finance: Aganga Makes Way For Okonjo-Iweala by MeandSum: 9:57pm On Jul 09, 2011
ZnO:

With Adeshina, I will gain from a Yoruba, the first time in my life. Not in terms of monetary gains, but per taking on the things I have in mind for Nigerian bioresources, agriculture and environment. May be then I can tone down the rhetorics on omongbatis grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

You are one pathetic son of a gun. , your life must be miserable. You always find a way of making all subjects Yoruba vs Igbo or Hausa vs Igbo.
I bet you are seating somewhere in Lagos, Abuja or Port Harcourt but not in your state you wise a33.
Re: Finance: Aganga Makes Way For Okonjo-Iweala by MeandSum: 10:11pm On Jul 09, 2011
djustice:

Thank God he's gone, from the Ministry of Finance at least. In a year of high crude oil prices, we still manage to borrow N400b to finance his higgedly-piggedly nonsense budget.

Square peg ko, round hole nii!!

He should be completely sacked. Commerce and investment ke I hope that doesn't mean they're giving him the Sovereign Wealth Fund, aka Excess Crude Funds to (mis) manage

Please don't employ Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala just for show o!! Give her FULL autonomy over ALL our finances, and watch her work her magic. Aganga, given any leeway will just be a greedy, avaricious fly in the ointment.

Hey, you seem to be among the rational people here. Can you please tell me what Aganga should have done?
Basically, you have a sh-itty economy with global crises. as far as I can see, Nigeria did a lot better than some western countries in weathering the crises. That should mean something.

Again, you only have few options if your house is on fire. Last time i checked, less than 10 states makes more money than they get from the FG. That should tell you a lot about the way our economy works.

Good luck to the new lady but what was her achievement 5 years ago? just asking because I can't remember.
Re: Finance: Aganga Makes Way For Okonjo-Iweala by pingme: 10:28pm On Jul 09, 2011
MeandSum:

as far as I can see, Nigeria did a lot better than some western countries in weathering the crises. That should mean something.
Nigeria did not do any better in facing the global crises. Even if we do not have a reliable method of measuring unemployment and other economic parameters, it doesn't take much to realise that unemployment is at its worst level. Oil prices have been at record levels however this has not translated in anyway to economic gain for Nigeria rather politicians are feeding fat and increasing our debt with nothing to show. He that is down need fear no fall
Re: Finance: Aganga Makes Way For Okonjo-Iweala by apoti(m): 10:46pm On Jul 09, 2011
I don't know why people turn every issue into tribal war. No one is a loser in this situation, Aganga is still in the cabinet and I believe based on his experience, he is good for Ministry of Commerce and Investment while Okonjo is better in Finance.

Both Ministries are very important to economic development and that was why they have been expanded.

We might say Aganga did not perform up to expectation in the last one year and we can crucify him for that, but Mr president has his own blame because the last thing on his mind one year ago was the economy, all his attention was focussed on the election and he did all he could to win even at the expense of the economy. There was little poor Aganga could do  undecided
Re: Finance: Aganga Makes Way For Okonjo-Iweala by MeandSum: 12:17am On Jul 10, 2011
pingme:

Nigeria did not do any better in facing the global crises. Even if we do not have a reliable method of measuring unemployment and other economic parameters, it doesn't take much to realise that unemployment is at its worst level. Oil prices have been at record levels however this has not translated in anyway to economic gain for Nigeria rather politicians are feeding fat and increasing our debt with nothing to show. He that is down need fear no fall

i stand by that statement. unemployment is up everywhere (even China had issues with this -read http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7843947.stm).
on the other hand, most of the European countries required a bailout of some sort during the same period.

All you need to do is check Nigeria's current account balance #14 and the highest in Africa. Higher than all the European countries except that of Germany, Russia, Norway, Switzerland and the Netherlands (https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/rankorder/2187rank.html?countryName=Japan&countryCode=ja&regionCode=eas&rank=2#ja).

I'm sure most of those countries will overtake us again once their economy gets back on track but so far Nigeria is doing better than they are doing.
Re: Finance: Aganga Makes Way For Okonjo-Iweala by dayokanu(m): 12:17am On Jul 10, 2011
Same ni,

fingers of a leprous hand
Re: Finance: Aganga Makes Way For Okonjo-Iweala by aloyemeka1: 12:25am On Jul 10, 2011
Why the abuse on the person of Aganga?. What did he do wrong?. If Jonathan prefers Ngozi to him so be it. One person must get the job and not both of them. I do pity any successful technocrat who will leave his/her job to work for Nigeria although I do suspect that these folks ask for huge sign on fees. So, even if they get dumped eventually, it wouldn't matter to their pocket.
Re: Finance: Aganga Makes Way For Okonjo-Iweala by Nobody: 12:27am On Jul 10, 2011
PapaBrowne:

All these folks feeling bad for Aganga, y'all don't know what you talking about!! The new Ministry for Commerce and Investments is top class and is exactly where he fits! All Public Private Partnerships would be under his purview. This government is looking at using PPPs as a vehicle to drive infrastructure development.

Aganga's job description would include pulling funds from all the investment hubs across the globe to fund our infrastructure projects! He also manages the Sovereign Wealth Fund which is the excess accruable from our non budgeted oil revenue. At current prices, that equated to about 25% of all our oil revenue.
This is exactly where his experience at Goldman Sachs plays out.

The finance ministry is for the likes of Okonjo that have a better understanding of development economics and policy implementation!!
very, very brillant submission.
Re: Finance: Aganga Makes Way For Okonjo-Iweala by umechuma: 1:36am On Jul 10, 2011
Dauchman:

Amazing you guys are actually rooting for Okonjo Iweala when all she would do is play out the script given to her by World Bank and co. I am igbo but do not think she is the right person for that job. My honest opinion.
Maybe Bankole should have been the best candidate.
Re: Finance: Aganga Makes Way For Okonjo-Iweala by pingme: 9:14am On Jul 10, 2011
MeandSum:

i stand by that statement. unemployment is up everywhere (even China had issues with this -read http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7843947.stm).
on the other hand, most of the European countries required a bailout of some sort during the same period.

All you need to do is check Nigeria's current account balance #14 and the highest in Africa. Higher than all the European countries except that of Germany, Russia, Norway, Switzerland and the Netherlands (https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/rankorder/2187rank.html?countryName=Japan&countryCode=ja&regionCode=eas&rank=2#ja).

I'm sure most of those countries will overtake us again once their economy gets back on track but so far Nigeria is doing better than they are doing.
I'm not an economist but my understanding of current account balance obtained from Wikipedia is the sum of the balance of trade (exports minus imports of goods and services), net factor income (such as interest and dividends) and net transfer payments (such as foreign aid). This, I don't think, is a suitable measure for how well a country is weathering the financial crisis. The 2006 figures (http://www.photius.com/rankings/economy/current_account_balance_2006_0.html) show a similar trend and the global crises wasn't upon us then. We didn't fare better, I believe we fared worse and are still being worse off.
Re: Finance: Aganga Makes Way For Okonjo-Iweala by Gbenge77(m): 10:03am On Jul 10, 2011
Thats a good development for the Finance Ministry.
Re: Finance: Aganga Makes Way For Okonjo-Iweala by executinal(m): 11:46am On Jul 10, 2011
Dauchman:

Amazing you guys are actually rooting for Okonjo Iweala when all she would do is play out the script given to her by World Bank and co. I am igbo but do not think she is the right person for that job. My honest opinion.

Ok we hear, but she handle the position during OBJ regime. Did she perform I am igbo but do not think she is the right person for that job. Then who do you think that can handle the position better than her for now your suggestion could make change to our nation. For now Ngozi will handle tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: Finance: Aganga Makes Way For Okonjo-Iweala by cap28: 2:39pm On Jul 10, 2011
aganga (goldman sachs puppet) was edged out and replaced by world bank puppet okonjo iweala - one western puppet edged out and replaced with another western puppet - how is that a plus for nigeria?

both of them represent the interests of their masters in washington NOT the interests of nigeria or its citizens, so where is the gain for nigeria?

what has this woman ever done for nigeria? is it the transfer of our foreign reserves into the hands of our enemies -the western banks - so why then is she back in office?

could it be that the real powers who control our economy have stipulated that she come back to finish off our economic destruction?

nigerians, since you have refused to use your brains and understand that the western powers are now in the second phase of economic re colonisation of your assets and natural resources you must suffer the consequences of ignorance and st.upidity.

good luck to all of you and this awful woman
Re: Finance: Aganga Makes Way For Okonjo-Iweala by Ecash1: 3:26pm On Jul 10, 2011
I think Okonjo - Iweala will have more to bring to the table than Aganga, considering where both are coming from.
Re: Finance: Aganga Makes Way For Okonjo-Iweala by stagger: 6:22pm On Jul 10, 2011
cap28:

aganga (goldman sachs puppet) was edged out and replaced by world bank puppet okonjo iweala - one western puppet edged out and replaced with another western puppet - how is that a plus for nigeria?

both of them represent the interests of their masters in washington NOT the interests of nigeria or its citizens, so where is the gain for nigeria?

what has this woman ever done for nigeria? is it the transfer of our foreign reserves into the hands of our enemies -the western banks - so why then is she back in office?

could it be that the real powers who control our economy have stipulated that she come back to finish off our economic destruction?

nigerians, since you have refused to use your brains and understand that the western powers are now in the second phase of economic re colonisation of your assets and natural resources you must suffer the consequences of ignorance and st.upidity.

good luck to all of you and this awful woman

I doff my hat for you for having the courage to tell blind Nigerians how the economic game has been played since the days of the cold war.

Where have these World Bank and Western-trained technocrats got us except in the economic doldrums? They come with all their razzmatazz, and at the end of the day, what impact do we see on public schools, basic healthcare, etc?

I do not expect any miracles from this woman. Infact, I do not expect any miracles from this government. Four years from now, we will still be here to complain about this or that.

As long as the money-sharing in Abuja does not end, there will be no economic miracles. I tire for this country. cry

1 Like

Re: Finance: Aganga Makes Way For Okonjo-Iweala by MMM2(m): 11:13pm On Jul 10, 2011
Seé danger
Re: Finance: Aganga Makes Way For Okonjo-Iweala by Dauchman(m): 11:44pm On Jul 10, 2011
executinal:

Ok we hear, but she handle the position during OBJ regime. Did she perform I am igbo but do not think she is the right person for that job. Then who do you think that can handle the position better than her for now your suggestion could make change to our nation. For now Ngozi will handle tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue
umechuma:

Maybe Bankole should have been the best candidate.
odiaero:

Your opinion dont count undecided

When i see statements like dese above, i weep for Nigeria because it clearly shows that we are still suffering from tribalism and neo-colonialism and that means we would never get to the promised land.

She was Finance minister during OBJ's tenure what did she do, take all our reserves and pay-off foreign debt and we all think that was a wise thing to do. Where has that move gotten us, did it improve the economy? Infact tell me if i am wrong, that was all she did during her tenure and we all clapped hands for her. Has any of you looked at the debt portfolio of the world powers or even the present fast growing economies, eg Brazil, China, India, they owe way more than we did. After paying our debt did it stop us from incurring more debt or did it change the way the west perceives Nigeria. We hd local contractors who hould have been paid so that they would create jobs for Nigerians but she didnt think it was appropriate to pay them first. I remember at some point she was going to lay off civil servants and bring in people who had 2:1 to work in ministries, is that the kind of person we need as finance minister. Does she know the implication of that to the economy.

That woman is coming to play a script given to her by the west and it would not favour us one bit. The west is in a bad situation right now and they would do anything to recover from it. We should stop being sentimental and face realities.
Re: Finance: Aganga Makes Way For Okonjo-Iweala by cap28: 8:58am On Jul 11, 2011
stagger:

I doff my hat for you for having the courage to tell blind Nigerians how the economic game has been played since the days of the cold war.

Where have these World Bank and Western-trained technocrats got us except in the economic doldrums? They come with all their razzmatazz, and at the end of the day, what impact do we see on public schools, basic healthcare, etc?

I do not expect any miracles from this woman. Infact, I do not expect any miracles from this government. Four years from now, we will still be here to complain about this or that.

As long as the money-sharing in Abuja does not end, there will be no economic miracles. I tire for this country. cry

thanks bro, do you know that Iceland currently owes britain and holland $3billion dollars in debt? 
The british and dutch govt gave the Icelandic people the option of paying the debt back over a 12 year period and the Icelandic prime minister told the british and dutch govt that he would have to open this up for a debate among his people - this question was put to the people by way of a referendum and an overwhelming 70% of the population said: SORRY, WE ARE NOT PAYING THE $3 BILLION because it will mean a massive drop in our standard of living through higher taxes, cuts in valuable public services, mass layoffs and mass poverty, SORRY BUT YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE TO WRITE THIS OFF AS A BAD DEBT!!! - now compare that to how this hopeless woman took a whole $12billion dollars and handed it over to a group of shylocks who had already made over $58 BILLION DOLLARS from us from the original loan we took from them!!!!! this woman under instructions from her bosses along with that s.tupid US puppet they call Obasanjo took such a staggeringly huge sum of money and handed it over to these theives.  It didnt even end there - these i.diots then went ahead to agree to carry out "economic reforms" which would ensure that more of nigeria's assets like our airline and our telecommunication system would be sold off at a pittance to these same theifs. The effect of all these measures?  more unemployment, more poverty, more miserty and more desperation amongst nigerians -  So tell me why people continue to praise this woman?

Look at what is happening in greece - the IMF want to sell off all of that country's state owned assets in order to pay off the debt which was incurred by crooked policitians who colluded with american and european banks to borrow money they could never pay back, look at how the people of that country responded when they found out that their govt was going to make them pay for a debt that they never personally incurred.

can you see the difference between foolish and intelligent people?  Unlike the dumb nigerians who bow down before this world bank puppet the people of greece are standing up and challenging the IMF and are calling for all their corrupt politicians along with the american and european bankers that were involved in this fraud  to be thrown in jail.
In nigeria on the other hand dim wits who claim to have gone to school and yet are still devoid of the smallest iota of intelligence are heaping praises on a woman who has reduced them to poverty and who is back to carry on from where she stopped - make all of una carry go!!!
Re: Finance: Aganga Makes Way For Okonjo-Iweala by owasoyo: 10:27am On Jul 11, 2011
@Zno:: U got no idea at all?U sound so empty wit no sign of reasonable thinking in u, i jst pity Nigeria for having pple like u,also pity ur poor parents.Kaiiii its jst a pity, u r so arcade in ur reasoning, pray u will get beta in life,i tink dts why u still where u are today. so sorry for u
Re: Finance: Aganga Makes Way For Okonjo-Iweala by monopolist: 2:57pm On Jul 11, 2011
We expect her to bring a new visionary CBN Governor like her to restore CBN and the Banking sector.
Re: Finance: Aganga Makes Way For Okonjo-Iweala by chino11(m): 4:52pm On Jul 11, 2011
This is another confirmation that yoroobas are misfits. Obj knew his kinsmen too well no wonder he chose Igbo economic squads to strengthen the economy during hin reign.
Re: Finance: Aganga Makes Way For Okonjo-Iweala by DisGuy: 8:15pm On Jul 11, 2011
pingme:

I'm not an economist but my understanding of current account balance obtained from Wikipedia is the sum of the balance of trade (exports minus imports of goods and services), net factor income (such as interest and dividends) and net transfer payments (such as foreign aid). This, I don't think, is a suitable measure for how well a country is weathering the financial crisis. The 2006 figures (http://www.photius.com/rankings/economy/current_account_balance_2006_0.html) show a similar trend and the global crises wasn't upon us then. We didn't fare better, I believe we fared worse and are still being worse off.

AGANGA WAS THERE FOR ONLY ONE YEAR!!! and guess what it was an election year, global recession was on already, we had/have a muppet as the president- Even Iweala/Geithner/Brown will need more than 12 months to do anything!! Economics is not a chemical reaction
Re: Finance: Aganga Makes Way For Okonjo-Iweala by DisGuy: 8:17pm On Jul 11, 2011
chino11:

This is another confirmation that yoroobas are misfits. Obj knew his kinsmen too well no wonder he chose Igbo economic squads to strengthen the economy during hin reign.

No wonder all the SE states have high employment rate and everyone is relocating to igboland- the pacesetters! grin
Re: Finance: Aganga Makes Way For Okonjo-Iweala by timok4chri: 2:14pm On Jul 12, 2011
@ekt_bear d guys name is Mustapha Bello very cunning man,do u know that he had over 70 graduates in his employ as contract staff but sent their names as full staff to AGF?when salaries r paid he gives them barely 20k n pocket d rest,smiling 2d bank wit over 10million?ask any body they wil tell u,yet no staff wants 2 report 4 fear of being sacked 1 of d igbo guys who tried 2 report was sacked he no hold water as contract staff.
Re: Finance: Aganga Makes Way For Okonjo-Iweala by DisGuy: 3:19pm On Jul 12, 2011
timok4chri:

@ekt_bear d guys name is Mustapha Bello very cunning man,do u know that he had over 70 graduates in his employ as contract staff but sent their names as full staff to AGF?when salaries r paid he gives them barely 20k n pocket d rest,smiling 2d bank wit over 10million?ask any body they wil tell u,yet no staff wants 2 report 4 fear of being sacked 1 of d igbo guys who tried 2 report was sacked he no hold water as contract staff.

should have reported to the media not another politician!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Soap Wrapping Machine / Key Distributors, UNILEVER, PZ, Friesland WAMCO / AMCON Boss Lauds CBN For Compelling Banks To Lend To Real Sector

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.