Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,745 members, 7,824,146 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:37 AM

CAC To Register Businesses In 48 Hours - Aganga - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / CAC To Register Businesses In 48 Hours - Aganga (10587 Views)

Naira Depreciates Barely 48 Hours After It Strengthened Against The Dollar / Fuel Importation Will End In 2018 – Aganga / CAC To Publish Nigerian Business Records Online (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

CAC To Register Businesses In 48 Hours - Aganga by DisGuy: 7:22pm On Feb 06, 2012
Minister of Trade and Investment,   Mr. Olusegun Aganga, has said that the ministry is working on modalities that will reduce the cost and procedures of starting a business and make it possible for both Nigerians and foreigners to start their businesses within 48 hours.

Aganga disclosed this during the first Doing Business Workshop in Abuja. He said that government was intensifying efforts at removing the bottlenecks associated with doing business in Nigeria by harmonising taxes collected by both local and state governments in line with the Federal Government’s efforts at improving the ease of doing business in Nigeria

He said, “We are working to improve the ease of doing business in the country. Our strategy to achieving this is by setting up implementation teams comprising the stakeholders and ensuring that these teams work on the sub indicators. We have started recording some success already.

“The Corporate Affairs Commission, an agency under my ministry, has started working on reducing the procedures, time and cost to start a business from an average of 36 days to less than five days, 77 per cent of income per capita to less than 10 per cent of income per capita and from nine processes to less than five processes in the medium term.

“Our long-term goal is to ensure that businesses can be started in this country within 48 hours. A number of state governments are also harmonising taxes and levies among themselves and the Local Governments in their domain to avoid saddling companies”, he added.

Aganga stated that the ministry had concluded plans to set up a competitiveness council which would be driven by the private sector to improve the competitiveness of the nation’s business environment.

He said, “We are working on improving the competitiveness of our nation. To achieve this, we are working with the private sector to set up a Competitiveness Council which will be private sector-driven and made up of members from the public and private sectors.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/aganga-cac-to-register-businesses-in-48-hours/108724/
Re: CAC To Register Businesses In 48 Hours - Aganga by faithin9ja: 9:44pm On Feb 06, 2012
This is the type of colonial mentality that is affecting Nigeria and most of us are not even aware of it.

Aganga is trying to correct this anomaly.

In most developed (where we in Nigeria copied the intial idea of company registration from) it usually takes less than 28 hours to register a company and costs often less than $100 - in many countries you can register your company within a couple of hours online!!

In Nigeria, not only does it take anywhere from 4 weeks to 3 months to register a company, you need a lawyer and it will cost at least $600.
Also you will be required to pay tax on your share capital, ie you are paying tax even though you have not even started business.

Banks/governments are equally complicit in this foolishness;

Banks will not lend you money until you have a limited company, for those who studied business will know that a limited company means your creditors cannot take any of your assets that are not part of the business, ie your share capital, but in truth the bank will still require all the directors personal assets to guarantee the loan, so why the need of the limited liability company?

No government will give you a contract until you have a limited liability company, the bigger the share capital, the bigger the contract you can apply for: but just like the banks the government department will still require the directors details and the share capital doesn't have to be paid-up, so what's the need?
Re: CAC To Register Businesses In 48 Hours - Aganga by miky(m): 10:05pm On Feb 06, 2012
@faithinnigeria

Please stop talking about things you have little idea about. Please name one country where you can register your company/business online in two hours shocked, I say this because two of my uncle here in the states have engineering businesses in the usa, it took the younger one about a month.( there was investigation, and checking of business premises, and lots of paper work on his actual paper work as Practicing engineer, he needed his PE certifications as well), there is nothing long with the length in my opinion in Nigeria, just the procedure, and central location in Abuja which is inconvenient ,

Educate yourself, here in America( probably one of the most developed nations) it takes days to several months, depending on investigative purposes, no one registers company online in 2 hours!!!

http://www.sba.gov/content/5-steps-registering-your-business

http://www.ehow.com/about_5231230_long-register-company_.html
Re: CAC To Register Businesses In 48 Hours - Aganga by andyanders: 10:07pm On Feb 06, 2012
@faithin9ja

You said the right thing. The Nigeria  government sucks. They cannot encourage individuals to grow.Rather they take pleasure in seeing your downfall.

One day I saw at Ikeja, near LGA council where a young man with one hand who invented a manually operated hand made Tipper truck, Caterpillar truck and other small manually operated vehicles, and people gathered and were watching the guy displaying what he invented, people were amazed but  nobody can help him stand or give him soft loan to empower him to expand his knowledge and establish to create employment for Nigerians.It is sad.
Re: CAC To Register Businesses In 48 Hours - Aganga by aglomar: 10:10pm On Feb 06, 2012
Great! Yahoo with almost a billion customers will verify your account within a few seconds while CAC takes weeks.
Re: CAC To Register Businesses In 48 Hours - Aganga by 9ijaprince(m): 10:17pm On Feb 06, 2012
corporate affairs commission happens to be the most corrupt and arrogant institution in Nigeria.

aglomar:

Great! Yahoo with almost a billion customers will verify your account within a few seconds while CAC takes weeks.
lol
Re: CAC To Register Businesses In 48 Hours - Aganga by bulksms247(m): 10:19pm On Feb 06, 2012
Faith is making point. Registering of business name in usa can be done within an hour for not more than $100 I personally have an e guide to that effect but when I registered my business name here in Nigeria am so sorry to state that it nearly reached 2months by that time I was bubbling in anger. So I think enough reforms needs to be done in cac
Re: CAC To Register Businesses In 48 Hours - Aganga by Wallie(m): 10:38pm On Feb 06, 2012
miky:

@faithinnigeria

Please stop talking about things you have little idea about. Please name one country where you can register your company/business online in two hours shocked,  I say this because two of my uncle here in the states have engineering businesses in the usa, it took the younger one about a month.( there was investigation, and checking of business premises, and lots of paper work on his actual paper work as Practicing engineer, he needed his PE certifications as well),  there is nothing long with the length in my opinion in Nigeria, just the procedure, and central location in Abuja which is inconvenient ,

Educate yourself, here in America( probably one of the most developed nations) it takes days to several months, depending on investigative purposes, no one registers company online in 2 hours!!!

http://www.sba.gov/content/5-steps-registering-your-business

http://www.ehow.com/about_5231230_long-register-company_.html

Well, you're only partially correct also. Registration of a company is different from actually having a company that can conduct business.

For the actual registration of a company, you can achieve that in about 30 mins if you show up in-person and you pay the $50 or so to expedite the registration. If you don’t want it expedited, it can take up to 8 weeks to get it done. Most people just pay the $50 or so dollars and get it over with.

To get a tax ID (EIN) will take about 2 mins to enter your business information online. Opening a business bank account takes about another 30 minutes for the bank to enter all your information to create your account.

But to actually run the business, the state and county your business resides in might have regulations that govern your type of business. For example, you would need licenses to sell food, beer etc. Certain licenses are very expensive or next to impossible to get because there are only a set number of licenses given per year.

However, if your business is not regulated or does not require a license, you can start conducting business with a fully functional business name and bank account in a couple of hours.

Lastly, different states have different rules but it shouldn’t deviate too much from what is posted above.
Re: CAC To Register Businesses In 48 Hours - Aganga by faithin9ja: 10:47pm On Feb 06, 2012
@bulksms - thank you you know what am talking about.

@Milky you obviously confusing issues - registering a limited liability company in the US shouldn't take you more than 48 hour, in UK normally within a day - you can do it online. I won't waste my time advertising companies that do this but simply 'google' and you will find them all over the internet, you can even buy companies 'off the shelf' for a few dollars, registered in Delaware, Bahamas and other offshore locations (this is for those of you in the US), Europe and UK have other offshore locations.

I say you are confusing issues because your uncle I bet can easily register a limited liability company, but to carry out his particular business the regulatory authorities of that industry are there to ensure that his business complies with minimum standards of the business, this very different from registering a business name or registering a limited liability company.

In Nigeria some faceless civil servants in CAC Abuja are filling their pockets by ensuring the process of getting a limited liability company is as opaque as possible even before you start your business. Using your uncle's example, in Nigeria your Uncle would first use 3 months to get the business name and limited liability company registered before he uses another 12 months to work with COREN, State government, Local government, LAASA (if in Lagos) and myriad of other departments before he could actually start business - and to add insult to injury none of these agencies will do near 20% of the checks of the US dept responsible for the regulation of your Uncle's business.

My point - we  in Nigeria have a lot of pointless 'red tape' and bureaucracy, company registration is just one of them.
Re: CAC To Register Businesses In 48 Hours - Aganga by Abbott(m): 10:55pm On Feb 06, 2012
Anyways, while they are at it, they should also look into registration of trade marks and trade names and other patent issues, the idea of a registration of a trade mark taking up to three years is stark, raving madness.
Re: CAC To Register Businesses In 48 Hours - Aganga by biachwest: 11:15pm On Feb 06, 2012
You can register your company on line in sweden and it takes not less than 48 hours for departement responsible to verify your company name and forward your company name to the tax office for registration.
You pay taxes based on what you declare to the govt at the end of the yr as your incomes (no more no less).
yOU DONT NEED TO RESIDE IN SWEDEN TO REGISTER A COMPANY.
Re: CAC To Register Businesses In 48 Hours - Aganga by alanbolo(m): 11:18pm On Feb 06, 2012
Nice one from Aganga. 

@ faithin9ja and wallie,  U're right in shedding light to the unknown.
Re: CAC To Register Businesses In 48 Hours - Aganga by Nobody: 11:23pm On Feb 06, 2012
Here in California you can get a business license in as long as it takes you to pass through the lines, never tried online.

Depending on the industry, that is just the first of many steps. If you were selling at a swap meet then you're all done. If you are going to be opening a restaurant, selling insurance, etc then you just basically started a long process.
Re: CAC To Register Businesses In 48 Hours - Aganga by Akintola11(m): 11:25pm On Feb 06, 2012
The latest installment of 'This Week in Nigeria' MEND resume hostilities in the Niger Delta, Foreign reserves experience biggest rise in months & much more!! Stay current, stay informed,

http://thinkafricapress.com/nigeria/blog/week-nigeria-mend-recommence-hostilities
Re: CAC To Register Businesses In 48 Hours - Aganga by faithin9ja: 11:48pm On Feb 06, 2012
@Milky

I hope you now believe I know what I am talking about
Re: CAC To Register Businesses In 48 Hours - Aganga by manny4life(m): 11:50pm On Feb 06, 2012
Wallie:

Well, you're only partially correct also. Registration of a company is different from actually having a company that can conduct business.

For the actual registration of a company, you can achieve that in about 30 mins if you show up in-person and you pay the $50 or so to expedite the registration. If you don’t want it expedited, it can take up to 8 weeks to get it done. Most people just pay the $50 or so dollars and get it over with.

To get a tax ID (EIN) will take about 2 mins to enter your business information online. Opening a business bank account takes about another 30 minutes for the bank to enter all your information to create your account.

But to actually run the business, the state and county your business resides in might have regulations that govern your type of business. For example, you would need licenses to sell food, beer etc. Certain licenses are very expensive or next to impossible to get because there are only a set number of licenses given per year.

However, if your business is not regulated or does not require a license, you can start conducting business with a fully functional business name and bank account in a couple of hours.

Lastly, different states have different rules but it shouldn’t deviate too much from what is posted above.

Exactly! You couldn't have said it any better.

I know here in VA, it took me few hours to register my mom's online business, went to IRS, got an EIN number, got a sales/use tax ID number, finished all paperwork and was done in less than 48hrs. Although it was a lengthy process though, but it was very easy (ONLINE).
You're also correct, it different states and their counties have different rules and regulations but they pretty much are the same perhaps just a few things might differ. A registration is quite different from a license, for instance, to obtain alcohol license in VA or in DC, that's quite a lengthy process involving ABC but it sure don't take no 90days either.

For instance, in DC, there are certain business license that are provisional (meaning you can do business on some parts of the license) depending if you meet the "good moral character" of DC law, by the time they're finished processing your license application likely in less than 2weeks, you can have the full license.
Re: CAC To Register Businesses In 48 Hours - Aganga by Krucifax(m): 1:06am On Feb 07, 2012
Anything that can be done to streamline bureaucracy for business is extremely welcome in Nigeria. Having cut my teeth abroad with a few business ventures of my own imagine my shock when i came back to Nigeria to set up a little project in Abuja.
It took over a week to find an approved Business name!!! A process that takes about 5mins on your pc in England.
I also could not register without using a Lawyer that was not cheap. This again is a 5min process that you do on your own and requires only your credit/debit card abroad.

I personally felt i was going through a forest of nonsense for what i had come to expect to be a pretty fast and straight forward process in other parts of the world. I guess the lesson was Naija is different but things are SLOWLY improving.
The significance of the lethargy is that it discourages foreign investment and stifles local investment. With streamlined processes and clearer tax laws you make the country more attractive and competitive. Afterall the private sector is the biggest engine in any economy.
Re: CAC To Register Businesses In 48 Hours - Aganga by oseo1(m): 1:20am On Feb 07, 2012
lets get our facts together. it does NOT cos $600 to register a limited liability company in Nigeria, You probably just overpaid your lawyer or whoever did it for you. Seconly if it takes you 3 months the fault is not from the government its from whoever you hired to register it for you. The longest I have ever heard of was 3 weeks.

I know companies which were registered and operational within 2 weeks. and im talking about companies that are running multimillion Naira outfits. Its all about the lawyers/agents you use. If you use someone reputable it should not take you more than 3 weeks.

If you want the process to be fast what you should do is provide a good number of alternate names when they do the search so you can avoid time wasted on back and forth.
Re: CAC To Register Businesses In 48 Hours - Aganga by Nobody: 4:11am On Feb 07, 2012
ose_o:

lets get our facts together. it does NOT cos $600 to register a limited liability company in Nigeria, You probably just overpaid your lawyer or whoever did it for you. Seconly if it takes you 3 months the fault is not from the government its from whoever you hired to register it for you. The longest I have ever heard of was 3 weeks.

I know companies which were registered and operational within 2 weeks. and im talking about companies that are running multimillion Naira outfits. Its all about the lawyers/agents you use. If you use someone reputable it should not take you more than 3 weeks.

If you want the process to be fast what you should do is provide a good number of alternate names when they do the search so you can avoid time wasted on back and forth.
i wish you could stop blabbing. guys are tailking about days and minutes not some 2 weeks bullshit
Re: CAC To Register Businesses In 48 Hours - Aganga by OnyeBabe1(f): 4:17am On Feb 07, 2012
ose_o:

I would have to disagree with you, if dont have money to bribe all the mountain of staff in the office, it takes 3 months. I dont pay bribes so it took me that long, It is absolutely immoral for them to demand bribes and I am not one to oblige to that because I dont feel it is ethical, it is harder but I rather do that.

The staff in the CAC are incompetent and rude, every single time.
Re: CAC To Register Businesses In 48 Hours - Aganga by miky(m): 5:07am On Feb 07, 2012
@faithin9ja

Oh ok, so its actual the initial registeration, was confusing it for the later one i guess wink. in that case its too much time.
Re: CAC To Register Businesses In 48 Hours - Aganga by clip: 9:22am On Feb 07, 2012
Do need to register your company {Ltd}? call me : 08037111486
Re: CAC To Register Businesses In 48 Hours - Aganga by faithin9ja: 9:35am On Feb 07, 2012
Please has anyone spent less than N80,000 in the last two years to register a limited liability company in Nigeria?
Is it possible to register a limited liability company in Nigeria without using a lawyer or agent?
Is it possible to register a limited liability company in Nigeria without somebody physically going to Abuja?

Please third world countries like Nigeria still operate the way our colonial masters left us 50years ago, we enjoy doing everything in triplicate, etc for no reason coz we don't even have good records despite the tonnes of paperwork.

The guy advertising on this thread,a beg how much and how long to register a Ltd company?
Re: CAC To Register Businesses In 48 Hours - Aganga by gulfer: 9:58am On Feb 07, 2012
faithin9ja:

This is the type of colonial mentality that is affecting Nigeria and most of us are not even aware of it.

Aganga is trying to correct this anomaly.

In most developed (where we in Nigeria copied the intial idea of company registration from) it usually takes less than 28 hours to register a company and costs often less than $100 - in many countries you can register your company within a couple of hours online!!

In Nigeria, not only does it take anywhere from 4 weeks to 3 months to register a company, you need a lawyer and it will cost at least $600.
Also you will be required to pay tax on your share capital, ie you are paying tax even though you have not even started business.

Banks/governments are equally complicit in this foolishness;

Banks will not lend you money until you have a limited company, for those who studied business will know that a limited company means your creditors cannot take any of your assets that are not part of the business, ie your share capital, but in truth the bank will still require all the directors personal assets to guarantee the loan, so why the need of the limited liability company?

No government will give you a contract until you have a limited liability company, the bigger the share capital, the bigger the contract you can apply for: but just like the banks the government department will still require the directors details and the share capital doesn't have to be paid-up, so what's the need?

Let the honourable minister work the talk. As we say, talk is cheap; only when it happend should we believe it.

1 Like

Re: CAC To Register Businesses In 48 Hours - Aganga by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 10:31am On Feb 07, 2012
I don't know about posters who claim they are unable to register a business in the UK or US within 2 hours - I did, all legal and all online, all i needed was a UK address (Which I got by registering for a virtual office with a registered phone line). Company Registration simply verified the address and put a call through. the rest was all filed and processed within 2 hours. got my business registered with physical documentation and tax registration within 3 days.

Our Public Officials are very fond of talking big and making empty promises. Aganga must show that he truly understands the challenges of CAC and also show how he plans to practically achieve this 48hr benchmark.

CAC is a Ministry and like most ineffectual Federal Ministries they usually demonstrate the following
1: Poor Staff Training and Education: If you have been to CAC, you will not blame your lawyer for taking soo long in filing an application and doing a business name search. It is a painfully slow process, punctuated by bureaucracies and laziness or sometimes a lack of quick reasoning between the different points your documentation has to go. in one case, a Staff simply did not want to handle her colleagues files because she was on leave. It took a bit of hand-washing to get her to even take a look at it.
2: Lack of Technology integration: CAC has had a platform since 2004. It came online but did not fulfill the obvious intention of having people register online. The manual process continued - I don't know if they have resurrected the project (hence Aganga's big talk)
3: Racketeering at various levels: In any Government Ministry where you find unduly slow processes, you can bet there exists a lot of profit from collecting bribes and monies way above the approved duties.

I am not a cynic but usually when the Cart is put before the Horse, we can effectively say the rider is just Bull-shiiiiting! grin
Re: CAC To Register Businesses In 48 Hours - Aganga by highland(m): 11:12am On Feb 07, 2012
This will not be achieve with the current lazy and corrupt service personnel in Nigeria
Re: CAC To Register Businesses In 48 Hours - Aganga by DeepSoul(f): 11:15am On Feb 07, 2012
ose_o:

lets get our facts together. i[b]t does NOT cos $600 to register a limited liability company in Nigeria[/b], You probably just overpaid your lawyer or whoever did it for you. Seconly if it takes you 3 months the fault is not from the government its from whoever you hired to register it for you. The longest I have ever heard of was 3 weeks.

Wrong. The cheapest you can get a Limited Liability Company registered for is N60,000. Getting an incorporated trustee registered can also not be done for less than N120,000. It is never done for less than that amount. If it takes three months, it's very much the Govt's fault as they haven't put in place the necessary modalities required for it to be done faster.

Why must I hire a lawyer to conduct a simple name search and register it after approval?

CAC is just about the most frustrating Govt agency I know!!!
Re: CAC To Register Businesses In 48 Hours - Aganga by DisGuy: 11:19am On Feb 07, 2012
gulfer:

Let the honourable minister work the talk. As we say, talk is cheap; only when it happend should we believe it.

True

I can see some lawyers kicking against this  grin
any new initiative that transfers power from 'professionals' to ordinary citizens is usually met with a barrage of professional jargon!

I hope they move into the property market too, process of getting land documents should be as easy as buying a book on amazon
Re: CAC To Register Businesses In 48 Hours - Aganga by ochukoccna: 11:40am On Feb 07, 2012
Deep Soul:

Why must I hire a lawyer to conduct a simple name search and register it after approval?

CAC is just about the most frustrating Govt agency I know!!!

Thank you for voicing exactly what I went through with a name search undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
And to think after 4-5 weeks of badgering the lawyer, I was told the 3 names I gave him could not be registered shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: CAC To Register Businesses In 48 Hours - Aganga by DeepSoul(f): 2:00pm On Feb 07, 2012
^^
Yours was just three?? I gave up to 10 names and I'm not at all exaggerating. CAC kept rejecting them, giving the flimsiest "reasons" ever. Meanwhile these searches are NOT FREE. For each time you search, you pay for it.
Re: CAC To Register Businesses In 48 Hours - Aganga by lekansy(m): 7:12pm On Feb 07, 2012
it will speed up establishment of business as more investors will be encouraged to invest in www.lekanbabarinde..com

(1) (2) (Reply)

Dangote Secures $1b Funding Package From Afreximbank / Dangote Considers Bid For South African Cement Firm / Selling Clothes In Nigeria – Boutique Business, Online Clothes Store

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.