Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,308 members, 7,819,049 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:33 AM

Gardening On My Balcony - Tomatoes, Pepper, Groundnut, Ugu, Snail and Catfish - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Gardening On My Balcony - Tomatoes, Pepper, Groundnut, Ugu, Snail and Catfish (65001 Views)

My Snail And Vegetable Backyard Garden / Tips To Cut Cost Of Broiler And Catfish Feed By More Than 50% / BROILERS,LAYERS,PIG,SNAIL AND GREEN HOUSE CONSTRUCTION PROFESSIONAL (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Gardening On My Balcony - Tomatoes, Pepper, Groundnut, Ugu, Snail and Catfish by Maryam1234(f): 11:09pm On Aug 21, 2022
Nice Experiment you're doing Sir kissRide on ,I wish you a bumper harvest.
Re: Gardening On My Balcony - Tomatoes, Pepper, Groundnut, Ugu, Snail and Catfish by Skibani99(m): 7:08am On Aug 22, 2022
Neduzze5:

Lolz... Same to you.

It's a Redmi Note 10 Pro. I'm practically like the photographer in my office cos of the clear picture quality of the phone.
wow,i have heard alot about this phone, Na him I dey plan to buy once money just enter...good morning
Re: Gardening On My Balcony - Tomatoes, Pepper, Groundnut, Ugu, Snail and Catfish by Neduzze5(m): 7:30am On Aug 29, 2022
I had to leave on a 5 nights business movement away from the house.

The watering needs of my crops was a headache to me and I needed to find a solution.

A peek into YouTube gave me the ideas I needed to get this done.

Hopefully, the plants will not die of lack of water before I'm back.

56 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gardening On My Balcony - Tomatoes, Pepper, Groundnut, Ugu, Snail and Catfish by Neduzze5(m): 7:38am On Aug 29, 2022
I had a lot of La Sien bottles in my house, so I got three of them and cut their bottoms open.

Using a nail, I punctured two opposite holes close to the now opened bottom of the bottles.

It was through those holes I pushed in the ropes that were used to suspend them in the air.

Finally, I opened a hole in the cover of the bottles with a nail as well.

Noticing that the holes were too wide and the water was dripping too fast, I took out three cotton bud sticks, and removed the wools.

Using fire, I closed one end of the cotton bud stick and stuck the other end into the bottle cover.

This served to reduce the quick flow of the water, thereby ensuring that;

1. The water won't quickly drip out.
2. My crops won't get flooded.

I then tied them to the support I had created before filling them with water.

I would return by Wednesday and hopeful that the crops would be alive till then.

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gardening On My Balcony - Tomatoes, Pepper, Groundnut, Ugu, Snail and Catfish by Kutunban: 7:42am On Aug 29, 2022
Nice thread.

3 Likes

Re: Gardening On My Balcony - Tomatoes, Pepper, Groundnut, Ugu, Snail and Catfish by Skibani99(m): 9:27am On Aug 29, 2022
OK,hope this works
Quit innovative though..

2 Likes

Re: Gardening On My Balcony - Tomatoes, Pepper, Groundnut, Ugu, Snail and Catfish by Pavlepaulos: 5:02pm On Aug 29, 2022
This is an inspiration
You are doing well sir

3 Likes

Re: Gardening On My Balcony - Tomatoes, Pepper, Groundnut, Ugu, Snail and Catfish by Nobody: 6:22pm On Aug 29, 2022
I love seeing photos about nature, gardening etc. Nice garden there bro

7 Likes

Re: Gardening On My Balcony - Tomatoes, Pepper, Groundnut, Ugu, Snail and Catfish by organicfoods(m): 6:24pm On Aug 29, 2022
Neduzze5:

Thanks boss. I had to do a test run before going to the office.

Noticed that it stopped at some point, so I had to poke the hole a little bit so that the water can drip out more often.
You can also prepare a self watering system to ease your stress. Check the video below on how to produce one. I love your tenacity, now I think it’s time for me to start my Vanilla production orchid on Nairaland to lead the way in Vanilla seed production in Nigeria.

Vanilla is second to Saffron in terms of value on the international market. It required patience and investment, something Nigerians are not good at.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FG97P6u-UH0

8 Likes

Re: Gardening On My Balcony - Tomatoes, Pepper, Groundnut, Ugu, Snail and Catfish by gaby(m): 6:24pm On Aug 29, 2022
I love this...

Well done..

1 Like

Re: Gardening On My Balcony - Tomatoes, Pepper, Groundnut, Ugu, Snail and Catfish by Belteshazzar1: 6:27pm On Aug 29, 2022
Small small it will turn to bikini-button

4 Likes

Re: Gardening On My Balcony - Tomatoes, Pepper, Groundnut, Ugu, Snail and Catfish by Umunze1stSon(m): 6:28pm On Aug 29, 2022
Neduzze5:
Went out a few minutes ago to check on them, and the tomatoes had their head drooping.

The sun was too hot today and seems like they were seriously affected.

I was planning to travel for three or four days but I don't think they'd survive at this rate.

I need to find a way to deliver water to them daily without my presence.
Try drip irrigation method

3 Likes

Re: Gardening On My Balcony - Tomatoes, Pepper, Groundnut, Ugu, Snail and Catfish by bigdammyj: 6:28pm On Aug 29, 2022
Seen.
Re: Gardening On My Balcony - Tomatoes, Pepper, Groundnut, Ugu, Snail and Catfish by KevMitnick: 6:29pm On Aug 29, 2022
Neduzze5:
Planted 9 groundnut seeds and so far, just four have germinated after almost 13 days.
Hope you're going to transplant these, because that container is too small. You need something bigger to accommodate all the groundnuts.

7 Likes

Re: Gardening On My Balcony - Tomatoes, Pepper, Groundnut, Ugu, Snail and Catfish by Tareq1105: 6:31pm On Aug 29, 2022
2special:
Well done

Expect Quit Notice from your Landlord except you extend the fish and pepper to him.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gardening On My Balcony - Tomatoes, Pepper, Groundnut, Ugu, Snail and Catfish by Olam09(m): 6:33pm On Aug 29, 2022
Neduzze5:
I recently rented a new apartment and part of my goals is to have a fish pond at the back balcony, grow some crops there, and also have a small snailery there as well.

It's a pretty small place, so I would need to make use of the space as judiciously as possible in order to ensure that I am able to achieve all that I have planned out for the space.

Over the next few months, I will be sharing my progress on the mobile pond, as well as the progress of my mini farm.

Endeavour to follow the thread, comment and stay tuned for more updates.

Hope say your landlord go gree?

4 Likes

Re: Gardening On My Balcony - Tomatoes, Pepper, Groundnut, Ugu, Snail and Catfish by Altruisticboy: 6:34pm On Aug 29, 2022
This stupid party is making Wike look like he's stubborn. But no. Agreement is agreement.
They all agreed to give chairmanship to south and presidency to north in 2019. now 2023, they agreed to give chairmanship to the north and expected presidency to south but abracadabra; the gave atiku from the north and start singing MERIT

3 Likes

Re: Gardening On My Balcony - Tomatoes, Pepper, Groundnut, Ugu, Snail and Catfish by Ladfem(m): 6:34pm On Aug 29, 2022
Well done please I need more info on ur mobile fish pond thanks u can reach me on 0806 355 6997 WhatsApp thanks

1 Like

Re: Gardening On My Balcony - Tomatoes, Pepper, Groundnut, Ugu, Snail and Catfish by NELOZARA(f): 6:35pm On Aug 29, 2022
Really nice. Weldon op

2 Likes

Re: Gardening On My Balcony - Tomatoes, Pepper, Groundnut, Ugu, Snail and Catfish by Brookdcook: 6:35pm On Aug 29, 2022
Neduzze5:
I recently rented a new apartment and part of my goals is to have a fish pond at the back balcony, grow some crops there, and also have a small snailery there as well.

It's a pretty small place, so I would need to make use of the space as judiciously as possible in order to ensure that I am able to achieve all that I have planned out for the space.

Over the next few months, I will be sharing my progress on the mobile pond, as well as the progress of my mini farm.

Endeavour to follow the thread, comment and stay tuned for more updates.

Where do you buy your snails .

I need some for my grandma

1 Like

Re: Gardening On My Balcony - Tomatoes, Pepper, Groundnut, Ugu, Snail and Catfish by Divay22(f): 6:38pm On Aug 29, 2022
OP
You never come back.. This your journey long o
5 days don be like 5 years

3 Likes

Re: Gardening On My Balcony - Tomatoes, Pepper, Groundnut, Ugu, Snail and Catfish by Claxxified(m): 6:39pm On Aug 29, 2022
Lolz... Same to you.

It's a Redmi Note 10 Pro. I'm practically like the photographer in my office cos of the clear picture quality of the phone.

Exactly the phone am using
The phone is superb �

1 Like

Re: Gardening On My Balcony - Tomatoes, Pepper, Groundnut, Ugu, Snail and Catfish by LadysLuvSlyfoxx: 6:41pm On Aug 29, 2022
toloohthegreat:

Dey waste ur time

Every thread has idiots like this. What are you doing with your own life. He obviously has a passion for growing his own food which is laudable. But you just have to come here and chat shit. Smh.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gardening On My Balcony - Tomatoes, Pepper, Groundnut, Ugu, Snail and Catfish by nextstep(m): 6:42pm On Aug 29, 2022
For watering, get an old plastic water bottle, poke tiny holes along one side, then lay the bottle on that side to drip water to your tomatoes.

Edit: I see you already solved that problem. Nice.

As for the flies, I just put small gauze (find one with small holes) or mosquito netting. Should be ok since the garden is small

BTW you will likely need to build a bigger box for your plants. Ideally keep it off the floor so you don't invite mold or ruin the tiles.

6 Likes

Re: Gardening On My Balcony - Tomatoes, Pepper, Groundnut, Ugu, Snail and Catfish by ekukeku(m): 6:43pm On Aug 29, 2022
Nice farming
I'm impressed with d process
& D picture (nature) look nice

3 Likes

Re: Gardening On My Balcony - Tomatoes, Pepper, Groundnut, Ugu, Snail and Catfish by Akposy(m): 6:44pm On Aug 29, 2022
Nice one.

I also garden. I started snail gardening recently.

Currently, I have thyme, rosemary, scent leaf, sweet basil, English spinach,Citronella, parsley, hot pepper, cherry tomato and grape in my garden.

14 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Guitarfish Caught By Fishermen In Lagos Lagoon This Morning (Photos) / WARNING: Front Page Hijacking No Longer Allowed / Most Ladies Nowadays have stopped doing this.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.