Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,121 members, 7,957,195 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 08:53 AM

Gardening On My Balcony - Tomatoes, Pepper, Groundnut, Ugu, Snail and Catfish - Agriculture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Gardening On My Balcony - Tomatoes, Pepper, Groundnut, Ugu, Snail and Catfish (65753 Views)

My Snail And Vegetable Backyard Garden / Tips To Cut Cost Of Broiler And Catfish Feed By More Than 50% / BROILERS,LAYERS,PIG,SNAIL AND GREEN HOUSE CONSTRUCTION PROFESSIONAL (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Gardening On My Balcony - Tomatoes, Pepper, Groundnut, Ugu, Snail and Catfish by Makschinchin: 5:48pm On Sep 06, 2022
Neduzze5:
Update 2:

I returned to my base on Wednesday and first went straight to my garden to see what was up with it.

First, I noticed that the drip irrigation for the pepper was the only one that worked.

The other two stopped at some point. So while the pepper looked fresh and was growing better and faster, the tomatoes was already sulking.

The groundnut was just there. Quickly had to pour water on the three of them, before resolving the issues with the drip irrigation.

I discovered that tomatoes need a lot of water for survival, I water them almost everyday if not they will start "sulking" like you said grin grin grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gardening On My Balcony - Tomatoes, Pepper, Groundnut, Ugu, Snail and Catfish by Neduzze5(m): 6:45pm On Sep 06, 2022
Skibani99:
from iwofe to creek road market.. I believe you had something to do around there so you just branch the market, cus the distance is kinda far..

Yeah, went to see a client around the Waterside area.

My office is at Trans Amadi.
Re: Gardening On My Balcony - Tomatoes, Pepper, Groundnut, Ugu, Snail and Catfish by Neduzze5(m): 6:46pm On Sep 06, 2022
Makschinchin:

I discovered that tomatoes need a lot of water for survival, I water them almost everyday if not they will start "sulking" like you said grin grin grin

Yeah, I water mine morning and evening. That way, they don't sulk.
Re: Gardening On My Balcony - Tomatoes, Pepper, Groundnut, Ugu, Snail and Catfish by Neduzze5(m): 6:48pm On Sep 06, 2022
Update:

I finally took out time to count the snails and I had over 104 snails at the end.

Currently, I'm housing them within my bin but plans are underway to create a section for them within the catfish pond structure.

Here are pictures of the snails.

5 Likes

Re: Gardening On My Balcony - Tomatoes, Pepper, Groundnut, Ugu, Snail and Catfish by Skibani99(m): 7:12pm On Sep 06, 2022
Neduzze5:

Yeah, went to see a client around the Waterside area.

My office is at Trans Amadi.
alright bro, continue the good work..

1 Like

Re: Gardening On My Balcony - Tomatoes, Pepper, Groundnut, Ugu, Snail and Catfish by lovediehatelive(m): 10:48am On Sep 08, 2022
Makschinchin:

2months+ now

That's encouraging
Re: Gardening On My Balcony - Tomatoes, Pepper, Groundnut, Ugu, Snail and Catfish by Neduzze5(m): 11:10am On Sep 08, 2022
Last Sunday, I took out time to work on the dimensions of my catfish and snail farm structure.

It was formerly a size 2 by 2 but I had to cut it down to 2 by 1 ½ for want of space at my balcony.

The black marks on the structure shows the parts of the structure that was sawed away.

Also, attached are some of the tools that help me in my carpentry endeavours.

1 Like

Re: Gardening On My Balcony - Tomatoes, Pepper, Groundnut, Ugu, Snail and Catfish by Neduzze5(m): 11:11am On Sep 08, 2022
I will update with pictures of the finished product later, and equally as work progresses on both parts of the structure.

The top part is expected to house the catfish pond, while the bottom will house the snail farm.

3 Likes

Re: Gardening On My Balcony - Tomatoes, Pepper, Groundnut, Ugu, Snail and Catfish by Skibani99(m): 3:46pm On Sep 08, 2022
The top part is expected to house the catfish pond, while the bottom will house the snail farm.[/quote]Hmm,thats interesting..

1 Like

Re: Gardening On My Balcony - Tomatoes, Pepper, Groundnut, Ugu, Snail and Catfish by NELOZARA(f): 3:49pm On Sep 12, 2022
Akposy:

is there any special treatment you hive to them..... Dey really look nice
Weldone
Re: Gardening On My Balcony - Tomatoes, Pepper, Groundnut, Ugu, Snail and Catfish by Skibani99(m): 2:42pm On Sep 15, 2022
Op longest time no update, hope you're doing alright..

2 Likes

Re: Gardening On My Balcony - Tomatoes, Pepper, Groundnut, Ugu, Snail and Catfish by afficionado7: 3:15pm On Sep 15, 2022
Skibani99:

Me sef come dey wonder. OP how far? Give us update na

1 Like

Re: Gardening On My Balcony - Tomatoes, Pepper, Groundnut, Ugu, Snail and Catfish by Neduzze5(m): 5:11am On Sep 16, 2022
Skibani99:

I was going to update yesterday, but I forgot. A lot has happened, and a lot more continues to take the right shape.

My balcony garden is looking better by the day. I also added a few more plants too.

1 Like

Re: Gardening On My Balcony - Tomatoes, Pepper, Groundnut, Ugu, Snail and Catfish by Neduzze5(m): 5:11am On Sep 16, 2022
afficionado7:

Me sef come dey wonder. OP how far? Give us update na

Update dey come shortly. Thanks for checking up.

1 Like

Re: Gardening On My Balcony - Tomatoes, Pepper, Groundnut, Ugu, Snail and Catfish by Neduzze5(m): 5:22am On Sep 16, 2022
A lot has happened with the snails so far, a few mortalities (4 ), several new births (about 20 eggs layed so far) and an increase in their appetite.

They seem to be quickly outgrowing their current home. However, their new home is 90% ready and will be utilized this weekend.

Pic 1 and 2 are examples of food I give them.

Pic 3 is what they currently look like as at yesterday morning.

2 Likes

Re: Gardening On My Balcony - Tomatoes, Pepper, Groundnut, Ugu, Snail and Catfish by Neduzze5(m): 5:27am On Sep 16, 2022
Transplanting has since occured with the plants, but it seems like due to the lateness in transplanting, it took quite sometime for them to adjust and get their roots into the new soil.

But they are currently doing better. I've added some bitterleaf stem to one of the basins, and some of the stems have begun producing leaves.

I also added waterleaf to my garden, but it's not included in this picture. They are doing well too.

3 Likes

Re: Gardening On My Balcony - Tomatoes, Pepper, Groundnut, Ugu, Snail and Catfish by afficionado7: 5:45am On Sep 16, 2022
Good to see. Did you puncture the basins to allow for water?

1 Like

Re: Gardening On My Balcony - Tomatoes, Pepper, Groundnut, Ugu, Snail and Catfish by Skibani99(m): 7:01am On Sep 16, 2022
Everything looking good.. Great job you're doing
Re: Gardening On My Balcony - Tomatoes, Pepper, Groundnut, Ugu, Snail and Catfish by Neduzze5(m): 11:39am On Sep 19, 2022
afficionado7:
Good to see. Did you puncture the basins to allow for water?

No, I didn't. I figured that the coming season would see the plants needing as much water as possible. As such, water retainment is as necessary as possible.
Re: Gardening On My Balcony - Tomatoes, Pepper, Groundnut, Ugu, Snail and Catfish by Neduzze5(m): 11:39am On Sep 19, 2022
Skibani99:
Everything looking good.. Great job you're doing

Thanks boss
Re: Gardening On My Balcony - Tomatoes, Pepper, Groundnut, Ugu, Snail and Catfish by Neduzze5(m): 11:43am On Sep 19, 2022
Update:

The new pen for the snails was finished and the snails were moved from the former bin setting to their new enclave.

This was done on Saturday, and ever since then, I've noticed a reduction in their mortality rate.

Also, the material I used is dark and makes it seem as comfy as their natural habitat. Still considering putting sand into the pen.

Pictures.

1 Like

Re: Gardening On My Balcony - Tomatoes, Pepper, Groundnut, Ugu, Snail and Catfish by Neduzze5(m): 11:58am On Sep 19, 2022
The top of this structure will be for the catfish. However, in the process of cutting the material, I noticed that the material I bought isn't strong enough.

I plan, hopefully, to get a new and stronger material soon, and give it to a tailor or these aboki guys that move around with their sewing machines to sew a rectangular shaped structure for me.

This will serve as the pond for rearing the catfish till maturity.
Re: Gardening On My Balcony - Tomatoes, Pepper, Groundnut, Ugu, Snail and Catfish by afficionado7: 12:52pm On Sep 19, 2022
Neduzze5:

No, I didn't. I figured that the coming season would see the plants needing as much water as possible. As such, water retainment is as necessary as possible.

Got it. Thank you
Re: Gardening On My Balcony - Tomatoes, Pepper, Groundnut, Ugu, Snail and Catfish by Skibani99(m): 12:57pm On Sep 19, 2022
Neduzze5:
The top of this structure will be for the catfish. However, in the process of cutting the material, I noticed that the material I bought isn't strong enough.

I plan, hopefully, to get a new and stronger material soon, and give it to a tailor or these aboki guys that move around with their sewing machines to sew a rectangular shaped structure for me.

This will serve as the pond for rearing the catfish till maturity.
interesting structure,how many fishes do you plan to train..
Re: Gardening On My Balcony - Tomatoes, Pepper, Groundnut, Ugu, Snail and Catfish by Neduzze5(m): 1:18pm On Sep 19, 2022
afficionado7:

Got it. Thank you

wink
Re: Gardening On My Balcony - Tomatoes, Pepper, Groundnut, Ugu, Snail and Catfish by Neduzze5(m): 1:21pm On Sep 19, 2022
Skibani99:
interesting structure,how many fishes do you plan to train..

I'm targeting 50, but they would be used as time goes on.

Probably, by 5-6 months when they are approaching large sizes, I should have 10 or less left.

1 Like

Re: Gardening On My Balcony - Tomatoes, Pepper, Groundnut, Ugu, Snail and Catfish by Hamzashaf99(f): 3:16pm On Sep 19, 2022
Neduzze5:

Probably, by 5-6 months when they are approaching large sizes, I should have 10 or less left.
Would love to follow this.
Well done. Your journey is definitely interesting and educating

1 Like

Re: Gardening On My Balcony - Tomatoes, Pepper, Groundnut, Ugu, Snail and Catfish by Skibani99(m): 9:23pm On Sep 19, 2022
Neduzze5:

alright bro, abeg reserve my own fish for me..
Re: Gardening On My Balcony - Tomatoes, Pepper, Groundnut, Ugu, Snail and Catfish by Skibani99(m): 5:12pm On Oct 15, 2022
Good day everyone, hope we're all doing OK.. Op it's been long we heard from you,hope you're alright..remember those of us following this thread and try to give us updates,stay safe..
Re: Gardening On My Balcony - Tomatoes, Pepper, Groundnut, Ugu, Snail and Catfish by KingBosco(m): 1:19pm On Oct 22, 2022
OP, how far? No update?
Hppe all is well?
It been long

1 Like

Re: Gardening On My Balcony - Tomatoes, Pepper, Groundnut, Ugu, Snail and Catfish by Hamzashaf99(f): 6:21pm On Oct 22, 2022
Please do update us. Your journey is really interesting

1 Like

Re: Gardening On My Balcony - Tomatoes, Pepper, Groundnut, Ugu, Snail and Catfish by Shawl001(m): 8:32pm On Oct 22, 2022
OP, good job so far.
I'm following your updates.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Buratai’s Tukur & Tukur Snakes Farm, Nasarawa State / Folja Global Multiconcept... Fgm Where To Buy Day Old Chicks (doc) Online In Nig / Lab Grown Chickens For Sale In The US

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.