Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,402 members, 7,954,595 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 12:08 AM

Islamic Banking: It Won't Work, Sanusi Is Looking For Trouble - CAN - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Islamic Banking: It Won't Work, Sanusi Is Looking For Trouble - CAN (5051 Views)

Sanusi Is The African Central Bank Governor Of The Year! / Ngozi: Islamic Banking Is Ok / Sanusi Lamido Sanusi Is World,african Central Bank Governor Of D Year (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Islamic Banking: It Won't Work, Sanusi Is Looking For Trouble - CAN by Shoolar(m): 9:06am On Jul 11, 2011
b4, i hate islamic banking but now dat i read d law dat bid it, i knw it will favor every naija but y our ppl is against?
Re: Islamic Banking: It Won't Work, Sanusi Is Looking For Trouble - CAN by numen(m): 9:53am On Jul 11, 2011
There's obviously no need for animosity in this thread. Calling the CAN presido names won't solve the issues Nigeria is facing. The CAN president has valid points. I am a Christian and for all I care Islamic bankers/investors can open branches in the 700+ LGs in Nigeria, as long as:

1.)   SLS removes any mention of Islamic banking from CBN constitution and simply focus on non-interest banking
2.)   SLS and his cronies stops promoting Islamic banking with tax payers money(some of whom might not have access to eventually)
3.)   FG reassess our Money Laundering act, to plug any loop holes money could be laundered through for terrorist/terrorist states

PS: I REPEAT, Islamic banking can sprout as many branches as they want, they should nevertheless be allowed to do so based on a non-interest banking framework/rules/policy/guidelines that has no bias or inclination towards any seen/unseen section
Re: Islamic Banking: It Won't Work, Sanusi Is Looking For Trouble - CAN by MMM2(m): 10:07am On Jul 11, 2011
Yes oh,
I said it 2.
Re: Islamic Banking: It Won't Work, Sanusi Is Looking For Trouble - CAN by agentmag: 10:46am On Jul 11, 2011
I don't think there is anything wrong in accepting the Islamic bank if truly we want to be objective. I believed it is a way of making life better for those who can not pay that crazy interest rate of 18-20% plus hidding charges of another 10% which are so called banks are charging us. Anyway there is nothing wrong in having either Islamic or Christian school so there shouldn't be any problem in banking sector as well. And that is why you will not hear people like our dad in the Lord Pastor E .O. Adeboye waste his time on such a topic. However UK is opposite Saudi Arabia in term of religions. Saudi Arabia is Muslim state while UK is christian but believe me Islamic bank is operating in England, why are we making so much noise on this issue?
Re: Islamic Banking: It Won't Work, Sanusi Is Looking For Trouble - CAN by doctorbabs(m): 10:53am On Jul 11, 2011
I dont know why the christians leaders are being myopic and misinformed about the whole issue regarding islamic banking, it shows that they lack knowledge even about what they are pepreaching. Bible against anything INTEREST OR USURY ON money LEVITCUS : 25 VS 36 - 37 ALSO DETERONOMY 23 SAID THE SAME THING. I PITY SHEEPS THAT ARE FOLLOWING THEM , THEY SHOULD SEEK FOR KNOWLEDGE
Re: Islamic Banking: It Won't Work, Sanusi Is Looking For Trouble - CAN by umar2: 11:00am On Jul 11, 2011
Sanusi Lamido Great one from you, let the whole world melt if they like, Islamic Bank is the best thing that would ever happen to us in Nigeria. If he is to call it Non-Interest banking, its like operating an account that does not yield interest and noting more, which if that is the case, such system has being in operation since inception in Nigeria. Now Calling it ISLAMIC BANKING SYSTEM, would not only define its purpose, but would make it a fully shariah compliant Islamic banking system, allowing to properly join its league of Global Islamic Banks in the world, having its Apex Bank in Jeddah Saudi Arabia. This would enable us, have access to the $53billion Dollars set aside every year to finance projects in the world, individual, private and even corporate organizations in Nigeria would benefit immensely. That means Nigeria would also have a feel of the over 8Trillion Naira if converted to Naira. Now its benefits are it is fully interest free, long-term loan system, maximum of 30yrs, joint project assistance, collateral free, small and meduim enterprises and every religion stands to benefit, weather rich or poor etc. All other Commercial banks are just shouting because they no that its going to spoil their usual over ambigous interest, and capitalism banking system. Imagine paying %25 interet of loan on quarterly basis, that is exploitation to its pick. UK, US, and Asia practice Whole Sale Islamic Banking System for years now. Lets Pastor Ayo or whoever is kicking against it to be sincere with themselves, and really tell the world the plain truth of why they don't want the Islamic Bank. The idea have been there since the late 70s He might as well do his worse.
Re: Islamic Banking: It Won't Work, Sanusi Is Looking For Trouble - CAN by emmatok(m): 11:02am On Jul 11, 2011
doctorbabs:

I dont know why the christians leaders are being myopic and misinformed about the whole issue regarding islamic banking, it shows that they lack knowledge even about what they are pepreaching. Bible against anything INTEREST OR USURY ON money LEVITCUS : 25 VS 36 - 37 ALSO DETERONOMY 23 SAID THE SAME THING. I PITY SHEEPS THAT ARE FOLLOWING THEM , THEY SHOULD SEEK FOR KNOWLEDGE

Does you bible support ISLAMIC BANKING?

The banking law allows Non-interest banking and not Islamic banking.

Why is Sanusi insisting on Islamic Banking.
Re: Islamic Banking: It Won't Work, Sanusi Is Looking For Trouble - CAN by maclatunji: 11:15am On Jul 11, 2011
Pastor, since you want to start regulating free enterprise, I would like you to know that Islamic banking is just a small part of your problems. All form of businesses will soon sprout with an Islamic tag. Licences have already been issued and these delusional people are still making noise. It is free enterprise for crying out loud!
Re: Islamic Banking: It Won't Work, Sanusi Is Looking For Trouble - CAN by hjamiu(m): 11:18am On Jul 11, 2011
How i wish u all see what sanusi lamido is seeing, he is working on a sustainable monetry market 4 d nation u keep on complaining abt where he get it frm, ar u okay wt d country financial status?
Re: Islamic Banking: It Won't Work, Sanusi Is Looking For Trouble - CAN by BetaThings: 12:19pm On Jul 11, 2011
chamber2:

What CAN is saying is not different from what most of us have been hammering on this forum since the idea of Islamic banking came up.SLS is simply a bigot
What you are about is simple: will this thing make muslims happy? Yes, then as a christian oppose it
It has become a reflex action

who is a religious bigot? If a pastor had been made a CBN governor, nobody would have said anything about religion
Re: Islamic Banking: It Won't Work, Sanusi Is Looking For Trouble - CAN by BetaThings: 12:39pm On Jul 11, 2011
Can somebody please explain this to me?
Majority of people who attend schools are very young and their minds can be easily moulded
They spend several years in school and they have to obey their teachers/school authorities
There are very many christian schools and muslims attend them
students typically say sir/ma to teachers/principals

The predominant group using banks are adults. They are not afraid of the bank staff/managers
Indeed, it is likely that the bank staff will address customers by saying sir/ma
Furthermore the choice available to a bank customer is wide compared to a student

Which of the two groups is likely to be unduly influenced? the students of course

Am I to believe then that the christian schools are being used to christianise the country
Because if that condition is not satisfied then it the argument that islamic banking can islamise Nigeria is baseless
Re: Islamic Banking: It Won't Work, Sanusi Is Looking For Trouble - CAN by Remii(m): 1:00pm On Jul 11, 2011
numen:

There's obviously no need for animosity in this thread. Calling the CAN presido names won't solve the issues Nigeria is facing. The CAN president has valid points. I am a Christian and for all I care Islamic bankers/investors can open branches in the 700+ LGs in Nigeria, as long as:

1.) SLS[b] removes any mention of Islamic banking from CBN constitution [/b] and simply focus on non-interest banking
2.) SLS and his cronies stops promoting Islamic banking with tax payers money(some of whom might not have access to eventually)
3.) FG reassess our Money Laundering act, to plug any loop holes money could be laundered through for terrorist/terrorist states

PS: I REPEAT, Islamic banking can sprout as many branches as they want, they should nevertheless be allowed to do so based on a non-interest banking framework/rules/policy/guidelines that has no bias or inclination towards any seen/unseen section

What do you call this,
when a mad man decides to blow himself up or kill innocent people, he is Islamic Militant even if he does not pray in the mosque or kill Muslims. Now a banking system that was evolved by Muslims, must dropped any reference to Islam before it is acceptable. Is this hypocrisy, hatred or what .
Re: Islamic Banking: It Won't Work, Sanusi Is Looking For Trouble - CAN by texazzpete(m): 1:25pm On Jul 11, 2011
Oritsejafor stance on this matter is unbecoming. See the language he's using to speak

'I suspect'
'I think'
'He must have an agenda'

Why is this man trying to force his unsubstantiated theories down our throats?

Who knows if the furore by CAN is all geared towards dissuading any mooted ideas of taxing churches in Nigeria? See, Mr Oritsejafor, I too can pull out theories from the ether grin

Akanbi_edu:

Why would he pay tax? The money (tithe) in his care is God's money, he's just helping God to spend it. Why should he give money meant for God to the government? Is God not bigger than government?

Ah. i thought we'd agreed we were a secular nation?
God's money is sure spent on lots of private jets, fancy cars, luxury suits and massive edifices.
Re: Islamic Banking: It Won't Work, Sanusi Is Looking For Trouble - CAN by chimaike: 1:27pm On Jul 11, 2011
From what i have been told, that the Islamic banking is just an arm of banking, well i do not have any personal problem with it, but i sincerely believe that as soon as the Islamic bank comes to existance, so many Muslems will withdraw their monies from these conventional banks and deposit them on this Islamic bank, as they are known as fanatics, they always like and give exceptional interest to their own things, thereby making Christians to be majority users of these conventional banks and immediately their is problem in the North such as relious killings, Suicide bombing, etc, their major target will be on these conventional banks, knowing fully well that the predominant users are christians and they will suffer the effect much.

So in a circular country like Nigeria, we do not need such system.
Re: Islamic Banking: It Won't Work, Sanusi Is Looking For Trouble - CAN by emmatok(m): 1:38pm On Jul 11, 2011
BetaThings:

Can somebody please explain this to me?
Majority of people who attend schools are very young and their minds can be easily moulded
They spend several years in school and they have to obey their teachers/school authorities
There are very many christian schools and muslims attend them
students typically say sir/ma to teachers/principals

The predominant group using banks are adults. They are not afraid of the bank staff/managers
Indeed, it is likely that the bank staff will address customers by saying sir/ma
Furthermore the choice available to a bank customer is wide compared to a student

Which of the two groups is likely to be unduly influenced? the students of course

Am I to believe then that the christian schools are being used to christianise the country
Because if that condition is not satisfied then it the argument that islamic banking can islamise Nigeria is baseless

Sorry you don't make sense at all.

Why comparing schools to banks.

Their are:

military schools

Seminary schools

Islamic schools

Mission Schools

Foreign schools

Single-sex schools.

Those schools operate that way, because education sector has different ways of achieving it's means.

But the banking sector different, because it all about investment, monetary and financial management.

So it will be wrong to bring in any policy/s that will segregate  any member  of the Nigerian public.
Re: Islamic Banking: It Won't Work, Sanusi Is Looking For Trouble - CAN by maclatunji: 1:44pm On Jul 11, 2011
texazzpete:

Oritsejafor stance on this matter is unbecoming. See the language he's using to speak

'I suspect'
'I think'
'He must have an agenda'

Who knows if the furore by CAN is all geared towards dissuading any mooted ideas of taxing churches in Nigeria? See, Mr Oritsejafor, I too can pull out theories from the ether grin

Ah. i thought we'd agreed we were a secular nation?
God's money is sure spent on lots of private jets, fancy cars, luxury suits and massive edifices.

Thank you!
Re: Islamic Banking: It Won't Work, Sanusi Is Looking For Trouble - CAN by Ayoobscom(m): 1:55pm On Jul 11, 2011
E ye jampata-e ye tiraka -o ti sele o ti sele niyen

stop Furring-stop Struggling, it has happened it has happened

Islamic Banking all the way--all to their door steps---

They should sharap and continue munching on the tightes paid by their dumies, but interest on this tightes NO!
Re: Islamic Banking: It Won't Work, Sanusi Is Looking For Trouble - CAN by POTUT(m): 2:21pm On Jul 11, 2011
chima ike

Re: Islamic Banking: It Won't Work, Sanusi Is Looking For Trouble - CAN
« #45 on: Today at 01:27:53 PM »

From what i have been told, that the Islamic banking is just an arm of banking, well i do not have any personal problem with it, but i sincerely believe that as soon as the Islamic bank comes to existance, so many Muslems will withdraw their monies from these conventional banks and deposit them on this Islamic bank, as they are known as fanatics, they always like and give exceptional interest to their own things, thereby making Christians to be majority users of these conventional banks and immediately their is problem in the North such as relious killings, Suicide bombing, etc, their major target will be on these conventional banks, knowing fully well that the predominant users are christians and they will suffer the effect much.

So in a circular country like Nigeria, we do not need such system.

This is a major concern! If muslims worshipped in churches, churches won't be burnt in the north.

Does the ministry of education or communication have a different guidelines for each religion?

SLS has created two guidelines, Islamic banking on the one hand, and other non-interest banking on the other hand. Why/

He has not explained that yet.
Re: Islamic Banking: It Won't Work, Sanusi Is Looking For Trouble - CAN by teeq(m): 2:42pm On Jul 11, 2011
Why are u guy this dumb, from head to toe sorry to say is it that u guys are told to bank in this bank by force or what is ur problem non intrest banking or Islamic banking as it may be called is a bank where u bank at will not by force so if the Muslims says they want to go Islamic banking what is pastor AYO ORITSHEJAFOR'S problem with that.
Re: Islamic Banking: It Won't Work, Sanusi Is Looking For Trouble - CAN by chimaike: 2:56pm On Jul 11, 2011
teeq:

Why are u guy this dumb, from head to toe sorry to say is it that u guys are told to bank in this bank by force or what is your problem non intrest banking or Islamic banking as it may be called is a bank where u bank at will not by force so if the Muslims says they want to go Islamic banking what is pastor AYO ORITSHEJAFOR'S problem with that.

Guy why are u talking as if u do not live in Nigeria or u have not stayed in Nigeria before, so when Boko Haram wants to do their bombing, it would be at the conventional banks, where most of the depositers and owners are christian and will leave the Islamic Bank that is owned by them. I am not against Islamic banking, is just that our society is not secured enough to protect Conventional Banks at the North when these crises comes up. They should hold on for sometime b4 esterlishing it.
Re: Islamic Banking: It Won't Work, Sanusi Is Looking For Trouble - CAN by POTUT(m): 3:00pm On Jul 11, 2011
Posted on: Today at 02:42:07 PM
Posted by: teeq
Insert Quote
Why are u guy this dumb, from head to toe sorry to say is it that u guys are told to bank in this bank by force or what is your problem non intrest banking or Islamic banking as it may be called is a bank where u bank at will not by force so if the Muslims says they want to go Islamic banking what is pastor AYO ORITSHEJAFOR'S problem with that.

Easterners wanted their own country, Northern Nigeria had a problem with that, insisting on ONE Nigeria. For your information, we MUST remain ONE country until,

SLS has created two guidelines, there MUST be only ONE guideline! PERIOD!

I forsee a situation where all muslims will have their deposits in Al Qaeda Bank with all their branches in the north, and then torch banks and churches at the slightest provocation.

ONE NIGERIA,
Re: Islamic Banking: It Won't Work, Sanusi Is Looking For Trouble - CAN by chimaike: 3:08pm On Jul 11, 2011
POTUT:

Easterners wanted their own country, Northern Nigeria had a problem with that, insisting on ONE Nigeria. For your information, we MUST remain ONE country until,

SLS has created two guidelines, there MUST be only ONE guideline! PERIOD!

I forsee a situation where all muslims will have their deposits in Al Qaeda Bank with all their branches in the north, and then torch banks and churches at the slightest provocation.
ONE NIGERIA,

That is my fear, and the possibility of what you said above is very high. Tomorrow you will hear that Union bank PLC was bombed at Suleja, Diamond Bank was burnt at Kaduna. Since these religious crisis statred at the North, have you heard that one Mosque was burnt or bombed. Every single day i have special prayer for my relatives and friends at the north, for God to protcet them from these fanatics.
Re: Islamic Banking: It Won't Work, Sanusi Is Looking For Trouble - CAN by POTUT(m): 3:24pm On Jul 11, 2011
Frankly, I do not dislike SLS, or hate him. Simply put, he has the guts to be bold and pursue radical measures to achieve a goal.

However, some things ought to be toned down, and it is now becoming more obvious that SLS is a bit impatient.

He will not wait for Nigeria to be ripe in infrastructure before introducing cashless economy (which i support),

He will not wait for security to be improved before introducing islamic banking (which will be very well favorably received only in the muslim dominated north),
He will not wait to quietly gather incontrovertible evidence, build an impenetrable case before ousting corrupt bank CEOs (thereby causing a lot of unnecessary panic in the banking sector).

SLS should learn patience, it is still a virtue.
Re: Islamic Banking: It Won't Work, Sanusi Is Looking For Trouble - CAN by veraponpo(m): 4:00pm On Jul 11, 2011
@texazzpete (m)

« #44 on: Today at 01:25:31 PM »

'I suspect'
'I think'
'He must have an agenda'

Who knows if the furore by CAN is all geared towards dissuading any mooted ideas of taxing churches in Nigeria? See, Mr Oritsejafor, I too can pull out theories from the

U guys don't know 1/3 of what Pastor Ayo knows, the facts are:
[list] Nigeria is a member of Organisation of Islamic Countries(OIC) today with deception from IBB just like this (with over 55% christians)
there is Arabics on N100, N200 and N500 today by deception
Boko Haram is being sponsored by some people and trained in Somalia by som people but we don't know them,
Islamic banking will not support som trades like piggery, etc which shows it is discriminatory in nature,
Alqaeda has once applied for Banking in Nigeria under this provision but was turned down, what of if they send proxy undrthe guise of Islamic Banking.

There is more to it. Nigeria is a sensitive country when it comes ton religion. Sanusi should face his primary assignment.
[li][list]
[li][/li]
[li][/li]
[/list][/li]
[li][/li]
[/list]
Re: Islamic Banking: It Won't Work, Sanusi Is Looking For Trouble - CAN by maclatunji: 4:06pm On Jul 11, 2011
See heavy campaign against Islamic banking. grin grin grin grin
Re: Islamic Banking: It Won't Work, Sanusi Is Looking For Trouble - CAN by BetaThings: 4:11pm On Jul 11, 2011
emmatok:

Sorry you don't make sense at all.

Why comparing schools to banks.

Their are:

military schools

Seminary schools

Islamic schools

Mission Schools

Foreign schools

Single-sex schools.

Those schools operate that way, because education sector has different ways of achieving it's means.

But the banking sector different, because it all about investment, monetary and financial management.

So it will be wrong to bring in any policy/s that will segregate  any member  of the Nigerian public.
stop splitting hairs - schooling is an investment. Otherwise why would any parent pay fees
So we can segregate at an early age (primary, secondary and university) ie the best time to promote unity and mould character
But it is wrong to segregate when people can choose
Strange thinking

BTW Nuns and Reverend fathers out of religious conviction do not believe in procreation = we have accepted that
Some people out of religious conviction do not believe in collecting interest or paying it when they borrow = can we not accept that?
Re: Islamic Banking: It Won't Work, Sanusi Is Looking For Trouble - CAN by yazach: 5:22pm On Jul 11, 2011
Nawa o, I don't know you people's problem. Honestly, their can be christian/bile/jesus bank. But for pastor Ayo to have said sanusi is looking for trouble, their is a point to note; may be he want another set of people in Christianity so that they can also act acting like boko haram, Because that is exactly the meaning of his statement "sanusi is looking for trouble" . We have christian university, no problem we also have islamic university no problem. Christian and Muslim can be together in Nigeria let no Pastor or anybody separate us!!!!!!!!!
Re: Islamic Banking: It Won't Work, Sanusi Is Looking For Trouble - CAN by yazach: 5:29pm On Jul 11, 2011
Mr/Mrs/Miss foresee!!! you don't foresee good things but bad things. If I were you I will change my orientation. THAT OF YOURS IS VERY BAD.sory
Re: Islamic Banking: It Won't Work, Sanusi Is Looking For Trouble - CAN by BetaThings: 5:32pm On Jul 11, 2011
veraponpo:

@texazzpete (m)

« #44 on: Today at 01:25:31 PM »

'I suspect'
'I think'
'He must have an agenda'

Who knows if the furore by CAN is all geared towards dissuading any mooted ideas of taxing churches in Nigeria? See, Mr Oritsejafor, I too can pull out theories from the

U guys don't know 1/3 of what Pastor Ayo knows, the facts are:
[list] Nigeria is a member of Organisation of Islamic Countries(OIC) today with deception from IBB just like this (with over 55% christians)
there is Arabics on N100, N200 and N500 today by deception
Boko Haram is being sponsored by some people and trained in Somalia by som people but we don't know them,
 Islamic banking will not support som trades like piggery, etc which shows it is discriminatory in nature,
 Alqaeda has once applied for Banking in Nigeria under this provision but was turned down, what of if they send proxy undrthe guise of Islamic Banking.

There is more to it. Nigeria is a sensitive country when it comes ton religion. Sanusi should face his primary assignment.
[li][list]
[li][/li]
[li][/li]
[/list][/li]
[li][/li]
[/list]
Thou shalt not bear false witness. Or is it because this is in the old testament
55% christians? Proof
Soludo erased Arabic from N50 and down. He left the Arabic inscriptions on N100 and above by choice
Re: Islamic Banking: It Won't Work, Sanusi Is Looking For Trouble - CAN by yazach: 5:41pm On Jul 11, 2011
Thank you bros. In addition to the benefits is that it will bring employment opportunity to muslims sisters with hijjab and brothers with beard. Take the statistic today if you are to work in nigeria bank, you mus remove your hijjab, remove your cap, shave your beard, you will not be allowed to go for prayer and the likes except in the north you can do all these. why?
Re: Islamic Banking: It Won't Work, Sanusi Is Looking For Trouble - CAN by BetaThings: 5:52pm On Jul 11, 2011
chima ike:

Guy why are u talking as if u do not live in Nigeria or u have not stayed in Nigeria before, so when Boko Haram wants to do their bombing, it would be at the conventional banks, where most of the depositers and owners are christian and will leave the Islamic Bank that is owned by them. I am not against Islamic banking, is just that our society is not secured enough to protect Conventional Banks at the North when these crises comes up. They should hold on for sometime b4 esterlishing it.
And you live in this country and you are talking like this. Sometimes it is tempting to distrust christians when they talk like this
Do muslims send their children to christian schools even when there are muslims schools? Yes
Do christians do the same? No
Do muslims own shares in conventional banks? Yes.
So why would Boko Haram bomb a bank where muslims have deposits and own shares?
Re: Islamic Banking: It Won't Work, Sanusi Is Looking For Trouble - CAN by Nobody: 5:55pm On Jul 11, 2011
On the issue of the Islamic or Non-interest banking, if Sanusi Lamido claims it has no Islamic connotation or inclination, why is it that non Muslims can not be members of Board of Management of such banks? Some clearifications need to be made asap

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

When Is Business Partnership Advisable In Nigeria? / Alliance In Motion Global Opens Office In Warri / New Cement Plant From 50tpd-300tpd Capacity For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.