Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,320 members, 7,829,789 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 11:46 AM

Rabi Ismail (actress) To Die By Hanging - Crime (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Rabi Ismail (actress) To Die By Hanging (19246 Views)

Man Who Killed Policemen Sentenced To Death By Hanging In Bayelsa (photo) / Nigeria Rental Car Operator Sentenced To Death By Hanging In Malaysia(photos) / Man To Die By Hanging Over N14,570 Robbery (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Rabi Ismail (actress) To Die By Hanging by Nobody: 8:25pm On Jul 10, 2011
Wow. I thought the death penalty had been abolished in Nigeria.

I don't support it. Supposing it later transpires an executed person was innocent? This has happened in the past in Britain, the United States and some other countries I don't recall right now. An executed person can't be brought back to life. On the other hand, a wrongfully jailed person can regain their freedom, and receive compensation.

Death by hanging is also barbaric.
Re: Rabi Ismail (actress) To Die By Hanging by texazzpete(m): 8:31pm On Jul 10, 2011
Siena:

yeah. Firing squad FTW!!
Re: Rabi Ismail (actress) To Die By Hanging by dayokanu(m): 8:38pm On Jul 10, 2011
Outstrip:

According to the news that man mutilated his wife. he claims she stabbed herself. How does someone stab themselves and take out an organ and gorge out her eys. That's like saying someone committed suicide by shooting themselves in the head three times. How can you even compare the evidence that has been made public. It's like you people are playing moomoo just to prove a point. They said she poisoned some food he ate. That's not enough evidence. When you see a man with blood all over him jump a fence and then comes back and says she mutilated herslef before she died and you compare it to this it is very hard to take you seriously

Does the manner which the murder was commited matter? Are you saying a person who stabs is a lesser criminal than one who drugs or poisoned?

Whats the difference between someone who stabbed and the other who drugged? both cut short a life
Re: Rabi Ismail (actress) To Die By Hanging by stunna2(m): 9:19pm On Jul 10, 2011
the situation is a mess!

i do not believe in the death penalty and thinks long prison sentence is better for criminals like her and if it can be proven that she will re-offend, then she should be declared a dangerous offender and put in prison for life!

the justices do not make laws directly but can do so indirectly by declaring a law to be unconstitutional,

and finally, because of false convictions and killing of innocents, im also against the death penalty on that bases, and no- my opinion is the same even if i was the one killed!!

Nollywood people are however out of line, and by the way, we are in the second decade of the 21st century, so the use of 'this is the 21st century is now dated and most certainly not helping issues here! only the family of the dead man could have helped saved her life but by fighting so hard after killing their loved one, she made it impossible for them to come to the high court and beg for her life to be spared, so here we are now with no more options for her!

life sucks, doesn't it?? yup, life is a b i t c h and then u die so, dont complicate what is already a very complicated existence and remove yourself from destructive path,
Re: Rabi Ismail (actress) To Die By Hanging by Outstrip(f): 9:23pm On Jul 10, 2011
I am comparing the evidence dayo not how the person died. This is what I read about the man that killed his banker wife and this is what I read about the actress that killed her boyfriend. The evidence. Afterall that is what she is being hanged for. The evidence had to have proven that she indeed killed him. Poisoned eclairs does not prove that she did it and that she drowned him after.
Re: Rabi Ismail (actress) To Die By Hanging by Araboy(m): 9:52pm On Jul 10, 2011
I think African countries should abolish the death penalty
flawed system of capital punishment had put Innocent  people to death and creating a mistake free system is impossible
Re: Rabi Ismail (actress) To Die By Hanging by kaykaybaba(m): 10:13pm On Jul 10, 2011
poisoned eclairs sweet, seriously?? , how did they reach that conclusion? an autopsy?
verbal confession in Nigeria admitted as evidence, seriously?

she poisoned him and drowned him? , how? did she poison him beside the dam and then push him inside?

To all the people 'supporting the death penalty 100%' , how sure are you that she's been 'proven guilty beyond reasonable doubt' (which is what is required by law in most civilized countries)?
Unless there's more to this story than has been reported, a death penalty seems most harsh. My 2 cents.
Re: Rabi Ismail (actress) To Die By Hanging by texazzpete(m): 10:47pm On Jul 10, 2011
kaykaybaba:

poisoned eclairs sweet, seriously?? , how did they reach that conclusion? an autopsy?
verbal confession in Nigeria admitted as evidence, seriously?

she poisoned him and drowned him? , how? did she poison him beside the dam and then push him inside?

To all the people 'supporting the death penalty 100%' , how sure are you that she's been 'proven guilty beyond reasonable doubt' (which is what is required by law in most civilized countries)?
Unless there's more to this story than has been reported, a death penalty seems most harsh. My 2 cents.

Again, i re-iterate that this case has been through TWO courts, both of which found her guilty. Asking if she has been proven guilty beyond reasonable doubt is rather silly. I have no idea why you're sniggering at the poisoned eclairs, it's not as if it's far fetched in any way.

This article is just to inform the world that the Supreme Court upheld the earlier guilty verdict. I have no idea why you expected all the facts of the case to be contained in this article.
Re: Rabi Ismail (actress) To Die By Hanging by oladayo042: 10:58pm On Jul 10, 2011
Siena:

I don't support it. Supposing it later transpires an executed person was innocent? This has happened in the past in Britain, the United States and some other countries I don't recall right now. An executed person can't be brought back to life. On the other hand, a wrongfully jailed person can regain their freedom, and receive compensation.

This is Nigeria. I've never heard of criminals sentenced to death by electrocution in Nigeria (I may not be in the know sha). Hanging appears "cheap and straightforward" unlike the electric chair where you must give scrupulous attention to the voltage or lethal injection where the dose must be monitored.
Re: Rabi Ismail (actress) To Die By Hanging by kaykaybaba(m): 11:08pm On Jul 10, 2011
young man (or woman), I did not snigger, and I also do not take any of my comments back. I just find it incredulous that this was mentioned without apparent proof as to how the investigators reached that conclusion. Have you ever heard of a case in which a well known (no escaping the fact here) person was convicted and sentenced to death and yet only bits and pieces of the story filtered to the public? Don't mind me if I seem not to have too much faith in the Nigerian justice system; truly, I don't, whether it was sat on by 2 courts or 20.

Now, you say
Asking if she has been proven guilty beyond reasonable doubt is rather silly.
This article is just to inform the world that the Supreme Court upheld the earlier guilty verdict. I have no idea why you expected all the facts of the case to be contained in this article

I'll ask,  have you read the Casey Anthony files? Its been on the American news for days now: A relatively unknown story, but by the time the judgement was delivered everyone in the country knew almost all there was to know of the story.

I fear that there's a very high chance this woman isn't actually guilty, especially as we are talking of Nigeria where we know that a high percentage of people have been imprisoned on spurious (and often non-existent) charges.
Re: Rabi Ismail (actress) To Die By Hanging by lastpage: 11:51pm On Jul 10, 2011
@Outstrip
Quite a large number of the American population sees death penalty as barbaric. I am just interested on what evidence they have against her. is it just poisoned candy that they have or is there any other compelling evidence. The guy who was executed in texas bludgeoned a kid to death. There was more than enough evidence there. This case is not so clear. I'd hate to see an innocent person die because people are blood thirsty

I agree with you, the worst thing that could happen, and l would rather the guilty go unpunished (afterall, there is karma!), than have an innocent wo(man) be punished!
Justice, swings both ways an that’s why it’s a “Scale”.

Having said that, on the weight of information made available in the News, l think she has “good legal representation” and the case was well “battled” even up to the supreme court (l wish everyone has that option!) thus to be found guilt by all three levels of the Justice system (not just some policeman pronouncing her guilty), speaks volume!

I can safely assume that if we get all the facts out, there is more than compelling evidence, for the 7-man jury not to be swayed.
Here, we are relying on the expectation that the many judges whom this case has passed through, are “honest and fair”.
Why should we doubt them, in this particular case?

Every case that carries the death Penalty (criminal cases in general) MUST BE PROVED BEYOND EVERY REASONABLE DOUBT, otherwise, the court will err on the side of the accused, unlike in civil law.
You can glean that from the “Casey Anthony case”: Even though every American thinks she was guilty, the Prosecutor could not “prove her guilt, beyond reasonable doubt” and she was free of murder!

Let us try to get the “details of the court proceedings” before raising an eyebrow at the judge, the court and the 9yrs it took for the jury to come to a conclusion of death by hanging. They (jury) don’t hate her, do they?

@darqly
@chukaeze, hurling insults @ other posters is neither germane to the issue being discussed nor does it cement your authority as a bastion of knowledge in the matter. Thats the reason it's a PUBLIC forum- You could instead share what you KNOW in the hope that everyone leaves a bit wiser than when they got here-# Just saying
Some peeps are better ignored!
He just succeeded in making himself NOTICED and l think that is enough “gratification” to his ego!
I will not debase myself by engaging in verbal confrontation “with such”, ,.,.,.,.,
.,.,.,.,.,.only the deep, can speak to the deep!

Thanks "darqly", for your timely intervention
Re: Rabi Ismail (actress) To Die By Hanging by minotaur(m): 3:14am On Jul 11, 2011
texazzpete:

You're such a brainless twit.
The article mentions the 'Supreme Court' several times. When have you ever heard of a 'supreme court of Sharia'? Is there really any educated adult in Nigeria that does not know what court the term 'apex court' refers to?
Also, what's the logic in assuming a judge named 'Francis' could be a justice in the mythical 'Supreme Court of Sharia'? You're just hearing of this case and suddenly you're 'sure' and 'convinced' she's innocent even when several other law courts have found her guilty, even when she has a confessional statement on file, even when you haven't read a single word of any of the previous judgements!

This has NOTHING to do with Boko Haram and everything to do with the death penalty. Just for the record, I am 100% in support of the death penalty for murderers, kidnappers and their ilk. Hell, i blame the Government. Public firing squad execution is a far better deterrent to killers than hanging.

If I am a brainless twit then I assume you must be thinking through your anus. If you do not understand the satirical jab at the recent events I referenced in my post, then take your bile elsewhere. Abi you like eclairs sweet? undecided
Re: Rabi Ismail (actress) To Die By Hanging by ebere1712: 4:13am On Jul 11, 2011
kaykaybaba:

Actress to die by hanging, says S-Court
on JULY 8, 2011 · in NEWS

By Ikechukwu Nnochiri
Friday was a sad day for Miss Rabi Ismail, an Hausa actress, as a 7-man panel of Justices of the Supreme Court, okayed her death by hanging.

The embattled actress, who was based in Kano state, was accused of drowning her boyfriend, one Mr. Ibrahim Auwalu alias Zazu, in 2002, after she allegedly administered sedative drugs on him.

The apex court held that having considered the proof of evidence tendered against the accused person by the Kano state Directorate of Public Prosecution, DPP, it found her guilty of culpable homicide punishable with death.

The deceased boyfriend of the actress was said to have lost his consciousness shortly after he finished eating a doped Eclairs sweet handed to him by the accused person.

Following a detailed investigation that was conducted into the matter by various security agencies in the state, the actress was accused of complicity and was subsequently charged to court by the Kano state DPP.

Consequent upon her arraignment and trial before a Kano state High Court in 2002, the accused person was found guilty of culpable homicide contrary to section 221 (b) of the Penal Code and was accordingly sentenced to death by hanging.

Dissatisfied with the verdict of the trial court, Miss Ismail went before the Kaduna Division of the Court of Appeal, pleading it to overturn the death sentence slammed against her.

To her dismay however, the appellate court upheld the decision of the lower court, adding that she should be hanged immediately.
As a last resort, the actress proceeded to the Supreme Court, begging it to save her life.

In its lead judgment prepared by Justice Francis Fedode Tabai, the apex court noted that the accused person failed to place sufficient evidence capable of convincing it that she did not murder her deceased boyfriend on December 25, 2002.

It equally held that having examined the confessional statements of the accused, the depositions of all the witnesses that were called in the matter, as well as records of trial within trial earlier conducted by the lower courts, it did not see any reason to interfere with the decisions of either the trial High Court or the Appellate Court.

Therefore, the 7-man panel of jurists found her guilty as charged and accordingly okayed her death sentence.

Reacting to the judgment, counsel representing the Kano state DPP, Ms. Binta Lawal, said the state was only interested in ensuring that justice was done for both the deceased man and the accused person, stressing that the death sentence handed to Miss Ismail would not be celebrated.

Source: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/07/actress-to-die-by-hanging-says-s-court/

Did anybody notice the bolded. I would think that the onus is on the prosecutor to prove beyond reseanable doubt that the defendant is guilty, and not the other way around. I really hopr she gets justice.
Re: Rabi Ismail (actress) To Die By Hanging by Outstrip(f): 5:51am On Jul 11, 2011
ebere1712:

Did anybody notice the bolded. I would think that the onus is on the prosecutor to prove beyond reseanable doubt that the defendant is guilty, and not the other way around. I really hopr she gets justice.

Really scary. Basically guilty until proven innocent
Re: Rabi Ismail (actress) To Die By Hanging by texazzpete(m): 6:46am On Jul 11, 2011
ebere1712:

Outstrip:

Really scary. Basically guilty until proven innocent

Please read the article again. She was trying to overturn 2 previous guilty verdicts, it wasn't a fresh trial. At that stage, the onus is on her to convince the supreme court that the previous judgements were flawed.
Prosecutors had already convinced 2 courts that she was guilty beyond any reasonable doubt.
Re: Rabi Ismail (actress) To Die By Hanging by texazzpete(m): 6:49am On Jul 11, 2011
kaykaybaba:

young man (or woman), I did not snigger, and I also do not take any of my comments back. I just find it incredulous that this was mentioned without apparent proof as to how the investigators reached that conclusion. Have you ever heard of a case in which a well known (no escaping the fact here) person was convicted and sentenced to death and yet only bits and pieces of the story filtered to the public? Don't mind me if I seem not to have too much faith in the Nigerian justice system; truly, I don't, whether it was sat on by 2 courts or 20.

Now, you say  

I'll ask,  have you read the Casey Anthony files? Its been on the American news for days now: A relatively unknown story, but by the time the judgement was delivered everyone in the country knew almost all there was to know of the story.

I fear that there's a very high chance this woman isn't actually guilty, especially as we are talking of Nigeria where we know that a high percentage of people have been imprisoned on spurious (and often non-existent) charges.

Please re-read the original article.
This case has long since been done and dusted, she had been convicted and sentenced by two other courts. There was no new trial here. Why would you compare this to the Casey Anthony trial which was the first time the case had been taken through the legal system?

She moved on to the Supreme Court to overturn the previous guilty verdict. That isn't sensational news.
When Ibinabo Fiberesima was being tried by a Lagos court, the news was in the papers to far greater detail. You can't expect the same for an almost 10 year old case.

I find it highly amusing that you feel there's a 'very high chance the woman is innocent' but have no logical reason to back up this claim. Abeg stop babbling about 'spurious evidence' when you know nothing about this issue. This has gone through TWO judgements!
Re: Rabi Ismail (actress) To Die By Hanging by ebere1712: 7:12am On Jul 11, 2011
texazzpete:

This case has long since been done and dusted, she had been convicted and sentenced by two other courts. There was no new trial here. Why would you compare this to the Casey Anthony trial which was the first time the case had been taken through the legal system?

She moved on to the Supreme Court to overturn the previous guilty verdict. That isn't sensational news.
When Ibinabo Fiberesima was being tried by a Lagos court, the news was in the papers to far greater detail. You can't expect the same for an almost 10 year old case.

I find it highly amusing that you feel there's a 'very high chance the woman is innocent' but have no logical reason to back up this claim. Abeg stop babbling about 'spurious evidence' when you know nothing about this issue. This has gone through TWO judgements!
Given the reputation of the Nigerian justice system, there is a 50/50 probability that she is innocent.

texazzpete:

Please read the article again. She was trying to overturn 2 previous guilty verdicts, it wasn't a fresh trial. At that stage, the onus is on her to convince the supreme court that the previous judgements were flawed.
Prosecutors had already convinced 2 courts that she was guilty beyond any reasonable doubt.
Sorry to bust your bubble, the apex court should have checked the evidence provided by the prosecutors, and the announcement should be like; there is enough evidence to prove that she is guilty, or their is no evidence of a mistrial. And it should never be up to her to prove that she is not guilty, it should be the other way around.
Re: Rabi Ismail (actress) To Die By Hanging by kaykaybaba(m): 8:05am On Jul 11, 2011
@texazzpete
i did, that was why I commented in the first place.
Abeg stop babbling about 'spurious evidence' when you know nothing about this issue.
Did you read my post at all? Funny how people think they lend weight to an argument by using language which borders on the insulting.

In its lead judgment prepared by Justice Francis Fedode Tabai, the apex court noted that the accused person failed to place sufficient evidence capable of convincing it that she did not murder her deceased boyfriend on December 25, 2002.

That's what I was afraid of.
Re: Rabi Ismail (actress) To Die By Hanging by luluosas(m): 8:45am On Jul 11, 2011
She has been begging for her life since 2002. From Kano State High Court to Court of Appeal, Kaduna and now, Supreme Court Abuja, same verdict by all the judges concern. Does it mean that, these judges are all barbaric as some are clamouring here? I don't think so.
Although I doubt her innocence but, December 25th been a public holiday and a time of merriment of sort, it is quite possible for her to commit the offence.
Re: Rabi Ismail (actress) To Die By Hanging by emmatok(m): 9:04am On Jul 11, 2011
ebere1712:

Given the reputation of the Nigerian justice system, there is a 50/50 probability that she is innocent.
Sorry to bust your bubble, the apex court should have checked the evidence provided by the prosecutors, and the announcement should be like; there is enough evidence to prove that she is guilty, or their is no evidence of a mistrial. And it should never be up to her to prove that she is not guilty, it should be the other way around.

Were did you learn your law from.

It is her job to prove she is not guilty, and not the Apex Court.

That is why she has a lawyer.
Re: Rabi Ismail (actress) To Die By Hanging by duke4ever: 11:20am On Jul 11, 2011
Hmmmm!!! Were SHE to be Igbo, still wondering what this thread would've turn into. May be the entire Igbo tribe are cannibals and murderers.
Re: Rabi Ismail (actress) To Die By Hanging by KAYD007(m): 12:28pm On Jul 11, 2011
@ Siena

Posted by: Siena
Insert Quote

it is rarely rare to find case where the innocents are executed judicially .  in fact it is almost a myth tongue can u convincingly with
enough  evidence beyond reasonable doubt sight such cases?

u said dead by hanging barbaric? what would u term the crime that brought about the hanging,
angry bia bros dont let me waffle foul smelling farts on u oo,

le me b irritating & perharps black mail u a bit if that would nail home d koko of the kasala.

assuming, tufiakwa, God forbid bad thing ,  Mbanu,
Assuming i =A*S*S R.*A**P*ED (d devil & all his demons re lier angry) a seven yrs old girl, she dies. who happened to be
a relation of yours, & am caught,  as a deter ant to those who would want to  do like wise
what form of  purnishement would you advocate or suggest to d court? life or death ?angry

for me, if i live in a place china, & i know that stealing public funds or doing  drugs would result to my hanging, i wont do the crime, cos
the dealth penalty is the ultimate deter ant

but if i live in nigeria, where i would receive a friendly pat on d back
i would be a BANK-OLE, an IBB, OBJ, ATIKU, TINUBU,  & CO,  cos harsh deterant almost do not exist even if they
do exist,  its application is nothing to write home about hence crime strives.
Re: Rabi Ismail (actress) To Die By Hanging by texazzpete(m): 1:40pm On Jul 11, 2011
ebere1712:

FoI bill is already signed into law. If you feel strongly about this matter, proceed to Abuja and demand the court records.
Unlike you, I accept this judgement because I do not presume to know more about legal matters than a Supreme Court justice. Good day.
Re: Rabi Ismail (actress) To Die By Hanging by harakiri(m): 1:54pm On Jul 11, 2011
See how some people are pleading for mercy over this lady that killed her lover but when that demented guy killed his banker wife, everybody was calling for his head! I guess it's permitted for a woman to kill a man and get treated get kid gloves but when a guy does the same thing, he's an animal. Sometimes i wonder how you people reason. You need to start taking your vitamins coz evidently, your brains lack nourishment! ! !
Re: Rabi Ismail (actress) To Die By Hanging by solayemi(m): 4:26pm On Jul 11, 2011
good verdict no matter what people say.if she thought the guy does not have the right to life,she also should not live.
Re: Rabi Ismail (actress) To Die By Hanging by kandiikane(m): 7:03pm On Jul 11, 2011
I am wondering how this woman managed to carry a big man to a river without people noticing unless she drowned him in a bathtub(if she did I did not read that part).
Re: Rabi Ismail (actress) To Die By Hanging by Kossy04: 2:56pm On Jul 12, 2011
Were did you learn your law from.

It is her job to prove she is not guilty, and not the Apex Court.

That is why she has a lawyer.

Where did you learn your own law from? The law says all offenders are DEEMED INNOCENT until PROVEN GUILTY (a constitutional provision. The provision on "Fair Hearing" be precise). It is NEVER the job of any offender to prove his/her innocence, it is DEEMED or (more technically) "presumed" from the onset. It is the job of the prosecution to prove her guilt, all she has to do is introduce "reasonable doubt." {see the case of DPP v. some guy I cannot recall at this moment}. So please, check your facts before passing comments, lest you seem like a f.o.o.l to the learned.
Re: Rabi Ismail (actress) To Die By Hanging by eldee(m): 7:32pm On Jul 12, 2011
Kossy04:

Where did you learn your own law from? The law says all offenders are DEEMED INNOCENT until PROVEN GUILTY (a constitutional provision. The provision on "Fair Hearing" be precise). It is NEVER the job of any offender to prove his/her innocence, it is DEEMED or (more technically) "presumed" from the onset. It is the job of the prosecution to prove her guilt, all she has to do is introduce "reasonable doubt." {see the case of DPP v. some guy I cannot recall at this moment}. So please, check your facts before passing comments, lest you seem like a f.o.o.l to the learned.

Nice.
Re: Rabi Ismail (actress) To Die By Hanging by emmatok(m): 12:12am On Jul 13, 2011
Kossy04:

My friend no need for insults, every offender is innocent until proven guilty.

But it is not the job of the Judge or Jury to defend her.

That is way she has right to a lawyer.
Re: Rabi Ismail (actress) To Die By Hanging by Outstrip(f): 3:52am On Jul 13, 2011
emmatok:

My friend no need for insults, every offender is innocent until proven guilty.

But it is not the job of the Judge or Jury to defend her.

That is way she has right to a lawyer.

You did not read the statement you are supporting then
Re: Rabi Ismail (actress) To Die By Hanging by eherbal(m): 1:27pm On Jul 13, 2011
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked :Mercy my lords,i know she's sober now,please commute to life.
Re: Rabi Ismail (actress) To Die By Hanging by Abuloma80(f): 10:45pm On Jul 13, 2011
An eye for an eye, will see to this copycats!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Peter Thomas: Tiv Leader Leads Thugs To Attack Residents In Lagos / My Experience With Kidnappers Barely 30 Minutes Ago[not A Story, A True Experien / CRIMINAL ALERT: Fake Police/efcc Alhaji Gay (tunji Alaso) See Photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.