Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,998 members, 7,835,358 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 09:10 AM

Femi Falana: Why Jonathan Cannot Run For Presidency In 2023 - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Femi Falana: Why Jonathan Cannot Run For Presidency In 2023 (23226 Views)

Falana: Why Ngige, Other Ministers Can’t Withdraw Resignation / 2023: Why Jonathan, Now? - Innocent Lagi / Falana: Why Family Members Of Lekki Victims Are Afraid To Speak (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Femi Falana: Why Jonathan Cannot Run For Presidency In 2023 by sapele914(m): 11:13am On Apr 29, 2022
fergie001:

Is the law retrospective?

The SC Judges will ask: What is the cause of action of your suit?

When you answer that, they will ask you:
Is it a pre-election matter?
Ask yourself, Is the election that Jonathan supposedly wants to contest, is it in the past or future?

If it is the future, then why are we going to use an old law?, the new law says Jonathan is not eligible to contest.
Re: Femi Falana: Why Jonathan Cannot Run For Presidency In 2023 by eldoradoxx: 11:16am On Apr 29, 2022
sapele914:
I just wonder how you feel when you realize how naive you have been?

The law is blind, it is not about Jonathan, no one in Nigeria can take the oath of office to be a Governor or President more than twice sworn in by the Chief Judge of the State or Federation.

Jonathan have you taken the oath of office & been sworn in twice by the Chief Judge of The Federation? Yes, then you are not eligible.

When Buhari was incapacitated for 7 months in the United Kingdom, Osinbajo was the President of The Federation, but he was never sworn in by the Chief Judge.
I don't want to be drawn into long unnecessary argument on this. I know the basis of my argument and can defend anywhere, anyday and anytime. Perhaps u guys forgot that the former Governor of Yobe State Alh Geidam finished the tenure of his boss Late Senator Mamman Ali who died less than a year into his tenure. Then ran for the office of Governor for two more terms before handing over in 2019 to Mai Mala Bunni. He was not disqualified, the constitutional provision was also there.
Re: Femi Falana: Why Jonathan Cannot Run For Presidency In 2023 by DrGeoAngel: 11:17am On Apr 29, 2022
fergie001:

I don't think Falana is right:

A Cyriakos Njoku filed a suit at the FCT High Court on Jonathan's eligibility in 2014 and the case was thrown out. He appealed and in March 2015, the Appeal Court ruled that: Jonathan was only elected once in 2011 and had a right to contest in 2015, stating that he only completed Yar'Adua's tenure when he took the oath in 2010.

1. The SC has ruled on a similar issue;
Geidam for example, was sworn-in as Deputy-Gov in 2007. His Principal, Sen Mamman Ali died in January 2009, and Geidam was sworn-in, he contested the 2011 & 2015 elections and won and his eligibility status was contested down to the SC in Maihaja v Geidam 2017.

The SC said Geidam only did hold the fort in 2009 & was not elected Gov in 2009 but only in 2011 & 2015, hence he was eligible.

2. Section 137 became law in 2018 but the law is not retrospective.

This is in accord with common sense as a law yet to be in existence cannot have effect on rights and/liabilities existing prior to its creation/commencement. (SC on HDP v Peter Obi)

It is settled law that the applicable law is the law in existence at the time the cause of action arose and not the law in force at the time of instituting the action or time of judgment (SC on Adigun vs Ayinde)

...Based upon the presumption that a legislature does not intend what is unjust, the Courts have always leaned against giving statutes a retrospective effect and usually regard them as applying to facts or matters which come into existence after the statutes were passed unless it is clearly shown that a retrospective effect was intended by the Legislature. (SC in Afolabi v Gov of Oyo).

....But it should be emphasised that an interpretation giving a retrospective effect to a statute’ should not be readily accepted where that would affect vested rights or impose liability or disqualification for past events. (SC in Adesanoye v Adewole)

Falana's argument is different....The SC refused Ladoja because he was sworn-in as an elected Gov before his impeachment. They are very different. Jonathan wasn't in 2010.

The law is not retrospective and retroactive. Simple

Re: Femi Falana: Why Jonathan Cannot Run For Presidency In 2023 by sapele914(m): 11:18am On Apr 29, 2022
fergie001:

Is the law retrospective?

The SC Judges will ask: What is the cause of action of your suit?

When you answer that, they will ask you:
Is it a pre-election matter?
Matters of Law your Lordship, an interpretation based on the provisions of section 137(3) of the Constitution 1999 (As Amended).
Re: Femi Falana: Why Jonathan Cannot Run For Presidency In 2023 by sapele914(m): 11:21am On Apr 29, 2022
eldoradoxx:

I don't want to be drawn into long unnecessary argument on this. I know the basis of my argument and can defend anywhere, anyday and anytime. Perhaps u guys forgot that the former Governor of Yobe State Alh Geidam finished the tenure of his boss Late Senator Mamman Ali who died less than a year into his tenure. Then ran for the office of Governor for two more terms before handing over in 2019 to Mai Mala Bunni. He was not disqualified, the constitutional provision was also there.
If he was already in power when the law came into existence you are exempted, but jonathan is not in power, the law is already in place, it wasn’t there in 2015, that was why he was allowed to run.

1 Like

Re: Femi Falana: Why Jonathan Cannot Run For Presidency In 2023 by fergie001: 11:23am On Apr 29, 2022
sapele914:
Ask yourself, Is the election that Jonathan supposedly wants to contest, is it in the past or future?

If it is the future, why are we going to use an old law?, the new law says Jonathan is not eligible to contest.
It is settled law that the applicable law is the law in existence at the time the cause of action arose and not the law in force at the time of instituting the action or time of judgment.
Re: Femi Falana: Why Jonathan Cannot Run For Presidency In 2023 by DrGeoAngel: 11:24am On Apr 29, 2022
sapele914:
The law is unambiguous & plain, man in his wisdom has made it complicated, it is simple, Jonathan cannot take the oath of office & be sworn in more than twice by the Chief Judge.

First time was after the death of Yaradua, second time when he won the 2011 election.

Assuming but not conceding, Let him contest & win, no Chief Judge of The Supreme Court of Nigeria will swear him in.

Did Johnathan rape your wife?
Why have you been exercising your energy so much here ignorantly?

The law cannot take a RETROSPECTIVE OR RETROACTIVE action. Is that too difficult to understand?

1 Like

Re: Femi Falana: Why Jonathan Cannot Run For Presidency In 2023 by fergie001: 11:25am On Apr 29, 2022
sapele914:
Matters of Law your Lordship, an interpretation based on the provisions of section 137(3) of the Constitution 1999 (As Amended).
Pre-election matters are to be filed no more than 14 days after the cause of action, counsel.

Section 285 of the 1999 CFRN is sacrosanct and the case is dismissed.
Re: Femi Falana: Why Jonathan Cannot Run For Presidency In 2023 by Duru009(m): 11:27am On Apr 29, 2022
Is very very clear, this one has been paid !!

1 Like

Re: Femi Falana: Why Jonathan Cannot Run For Presidency In 2023 by sapele914(m): 11:27am On Apr 29, 2022
DrGeoAngel:

Did Johnathan rape your wife?
Why have you been exercising your energy so much here ignorantly?

The law cannot take a RETROSPECTIVE OR RETROACTIVE action. Is that too difficult to understand?
Your Pride has been humbled, You now agree that Jonathan is ineligible?
Re: Femi Falana: Why Jonathan Cannot Run For Presidency In 2023 by sapele914(m): 11:29am On Apr 29, 2022
fergie001:

Pre-election matters are to be filed no more than 14 days after the cause of action, counsel.

Section 285 of the 1999 CFRN is sacrosanct and the case is dismissed.
Jonathan that is not going to contest, how can he file a pre election issue, did you Jonathan Ebele Goodluck Azikiwe aka JEGA did you take part in the election? No, then what pre election matter are you filing?
Re: Femi Falana: Why Jonathan Cannot Run For Presidency In 2023 by fergie001: 11:32am On Apr 29, 2022
sapele914:
Jonathan that is not going to contest, how can he file a pre election issue, did you Jonathan Ebele Goodluck Azikiwe aka JEGA did you take part in the election? No, then what pre election matter are you filing?
We are all on the assumption he intends to.
Re: Femi Falana: Why Jonathan Cannot Run For Presidency In 2023 by DrGeoAngel: 11:37am On Apr 29, 2022
sapele914:
Your Pride has been humbled, You now agree that Jonathan is ineligible?

Only God can help you see clearly, no one in Nairalamd can. I pity your type.

1 Like

Re: Femi Falana: Why Jonathan Cannot Run For Presidency In 2023 by DrGeoAngel: 11:38am On Apr 29, 2022
fergie001:

It is settled law that the applicable law is the law in existence at the time the cause of action arose and not the law in force at the time of instituting the action or time of judgment.

Thanks a bunch for enlightening me on this.
Re: Femi Falana: Why Jonathan Cannot Run For Presidency In 2023 by sapele914(m): 11:40am On Apr 29, 2022
fergie001:

We are all on the assumption he intends to.
A man that is prohibited from contesting by the provisions of section 137(3) of the 4th alteration of the Constitution 1999 as Amended?

I was told the reason the white man, hid knowledge in the volumes of books, was because he knew that the black man will not read.
Re: Femi Falana: Why Jonathan Cannot Run For Presidency In 2023 by sapele914(m): 11:42am On Apr 29, 2022
DrGeoAngel:

Only God can help you see clearly, no one in Nairalamd can. I pity your type.
Coming from Dr Geo Angel Himself?
Re: Femi Falana: Why Jonathan Cannot Run For Presidency In 2023 by Nobody: 11:42am On Apr 29, 2022
eldoradoxx:
The law cannot be interpreted retroactively. That provision means that after that constitution amendment was effected, anyone from that date henceforth who completes a tenure of another cannot be elected more than once. When Jonathan took over from Yar Adua, no such provision existed, therefore we cannot go backward to apply it to Jonathan. The law does not work that day. It is like u committed robbery today punishable by let's say 10 years imprisonment. Three months after ur arrest, National Assembly makes law that says that robbery is now punishable by death, how do you want the judge to now find u guilty and sentence you to death whereas at the date you committed the offence, it was only punishable by 10 years. Jonathan can run, there is absolutely no doubt about that.

I won’t join words with you. I simply asked that you speak on the provision of the constitution that he is not allowed to take Oath of office more than twice.

But then let me ask;

“if the law was amended to the effect that only a PhD holder can contest for the position of the President in 2019, will you say that because you contested with your OND certificate in 2015 before the law was enacted, you are, therefore , qualified to run for the office of the President in 2023?”

Your answer will determine my next response.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Femi Falana: Why Jonathan Cannot Run For Presidency In 2023 by Springboot: 11:43am On Apr 29, 2022
eldoradoxx:
That law was made after Jonathan had taken over from Yar Adua. Laws have binding force from the date they are made, not prior to.

99 constitution? Do you think Jonathan would have allowed such when he had the senate behind him? You think it's easy to amend constitution? It was made in 99. Stop saying what you don't know.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Femi Falana: Why Jonathan Cannot Run For Presidency In 2023 by sapele914(m): 11:43am On Apr 29, 2022
DrGeoAngel:

Thanks a bunch for enlightening me on this.
Elementary law, common sense logic, abi Dr Geo you no finish secondary school?
Re: Femi Falana: Why Jonathan Cannot Run For Presidency In 2023 by Validated: 11:44am On Apr 29, 2022
Where Falana is wrong, ge us not yet aware, but we will not tell him yet.
Re: Femi Falana: Why Jonathan Cannot Run For Presidency In 2023 by fergie001: 11:45am On Apr 29, 2022
sapele914:
A man that is prohibited from contesting by the provisions of section 137(3) of the 4th alteration of the Constitution 1999 as Amended?

I was told the reason the white man, hid knowledge in the volumes of books, was because he knew that the black man will not read.
We don't read, that's why especially when we see write-ups with references, esp something like this;

...But it should be emphasised that an interpretation giving a retrospective effect to a statute’ should not be readily accepted where that would affect vested rights or impose liability or disqualification for past events.

...we just look away. Yes, you are very correct.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Femi Falana: Why Jonathan Cannot Run For Presidency In 2023 by sapele914(m): 11:45am On Apr 29, 2022
litigator:

I won’t join words with you. I simply asked that you speak on the provision of the constitution that he is not allowed to take Oath of office more than twice.

But then let me ask;

“if the law was amended to the effect that only a PhD holder can contest for the position of the President in 2019, will you say that because you contested with your OND certificate in 2015 before the law was enacted, you are, therefore , qualified to run for the office of the present in 2023?”

Your answer will determine my next response.

Nice, I await his reply.
Re: Femi Falana: Why Jonathan Cannot Run For Presidency In 2023 by vicdom(m): 11:48am On Apr 29, 2022
garfield1:

He is correct.you cannot spend more than 8 years or take oath thrice
una no dey rest?? This same matter was brought out during 2015 election and it was eventually laid to rest.
Re: Femi Falana: Why Jonathan Cannot Run For Presidency In 2023 by sapele914(m): 11:50am On Apr 29, 2022
vicdom:

una no dey rest?? This same matter was brought out during 2015 election and it was eventually laid to rest.
Direct us to a link as proof?
https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/271662-buhari-signs-bill-limiting-tenures-of-vice-presidents-deputy-governors-who-succeed-principals.html
Re: Femi Falana: Why Jonathan Cannot Run For Presidency In 2023 by garfield1: 11:54am On Apr 29, 2022
vicdom:

The 2017 alteration act of 2017 changed all that
Re: Femi Falana: Why Jonathan Cannot Run For Presidency In 2023 by vicdom(m): 12:02pm On Apr 29, 2022
fergie001:

I don't think Falana is correct. The cases are not same.

The man is talking thrash as usual. ThankGod he accepted that the constitutional amendment alteration signed in 2018 by buhari can't be retrospective on GEJ who left office in 2015. It then takes us to our constitution which says you can't be have more than two terms of 4 years each. The question is whether Jonathan has had 2 terms of four years. Completing Yaradua's tenure of 1year can't be termed 4 years. This same matter was raised during the buildup of 2015 election but it was eventually put to rest, I wonder why this man likes talking bumbum everytime.
Re: Femi Falana: Why Jonathan Cannot Run For Presidency In 2023 by vicdom(m): 12:11pm On Apr 29, 2022
fergie001:

I don't think Falana is right:

A Cyriakos Njoku filed a suit at the FCT High Court on Jonathan's eligibility in 2014 and the case was thrown out. He appealed and in March 2015, the Appeal Court ruled that: Jonathan was only elected once in 2011 and had a right to contest in 2015, stating that he only completed Yar'Adua's tenure when he took the oath in 2010.

1. The SC has ruled on a similar issue;
Geidam for example, was sworn-in as Deputy-Gov in 2007. His Principal, Sen Mamman Ali died in January 2009, and Geidam was sworn-in, he contested the 2011 & 2015 elections and won and his eligibility status was contested down to the SC in Maihaja v Geidam 2017.

The SC said Geidam only did hold the fort in 2009 & was not elected Gov in 2009 but only in 2011 & 2015, hence he was eligible.

2. Section 137 became law in 2018 but the law is not retrospective.

This is in accord with common sense as a law yet to be in existence cannot have effect on rights and/liabilities existing prior to its creation/commencement. (SC on HDP v Peter Obi)

It is settled law that the applicable law is the law in existence at the time the cause of action arose and not the law in force at the time of instituting the action or time of judgment (SC on Adigun vs Ayinde)

...Based upon the presumption that a legislature does not intend what is unjust, the Courts have always leaned against giving statutes a retrospective effect and usually regard them as applying to facts or matters which come into existence after the statutes were passed unless it is clearly shown that a retrospective effect was intended by the Legislature. (SC in Afolabi v Gov of Oyo).

....But it should be emphasised that an interpretation giving a retrospective effect to a statute’ should not be readily accepted where that would affect vested rights or impose liability or disqualification for past events. (SC in Adesanoye v Adewole)

Falana's argument is different....The SC refused Ladoja because he was sworn-in as an elected Gov before his impeachment. They are very different. Jonathan wasn't in 2010.
Most learned on this platform, the reason I'm always thrilled reading your jurisprudent submission everytime. You are wise and reasonable who is always objective in political punditry not minding whose horse is gored. Unlike Garfield1 who sees black and call it white just to suit his partisan narratives. God bless you.

God bless you.

3 Likes

Re: Femi Falana: Why Jonathan Cannot Run For Presidency In 2023 by ejimatic: 12:28pm On Apr 29, 2022
fergie001:

I don't think Falana is correct. The cases are not same.

In my opinion he is right GJ completed Yarafua tenure and took oath of office as the president .Later he took his second oaath in 2014. How many times will he take oath as the president ? Section 139 FF is explicit enough to disqualify him.
Re: Femi Falana: Why Jonathan Cannot Run For Presidency In 2023 by garfield1: 12:29pm On Apr 29, 2022
vicdom:

God bless you.

He has succeeded in convincing me with superior points.what about the schedule you claimed described ministers as public officers

1 Like

Re: Femi Falana: Why Jonathan Cannot Run For Presidency In 2023 by Agbegbaorogboye: 12:36pm On Apr 29, 2022
sapele914:
State your reasons why you feel it doesn’t apply to him or anyone that has been sworn in President twice by the Chief Judge of The Federation

There's nothing like being sworn in twice. The operative word is "elected"
Once you've been elected twice, you can't be up for election again.

1 Like

Re: Femi Falana: Why Jonathan Cannot Run For Presidency In 2023 by fergie001: 1:04pm On Apr 29, 2022
ejimatic:
In my opinion he is right GJ completed Yarafua tenure and took oath of office as the president .Later he took his second oath in 2014. How many times will he take oath as the president ? Section 139 FF is explicit enough to disqualify him.
I don't think so.
I don't know where people get the perception of not taking oath more than twice. Geidam took his oath of office thrice.

The Constitution in 137(1)b:
A person shall not be qualified for election to the office of President if he has been ELECTED to such office at any two previous elections;

Was Jonathan elected President in 2010? He only became President by virtue of S146(1) & not by Election. The word is "hold the office". Be that as it may, with the new Act, the law is not retrospective, and must be seen as true, just and fair.
Re: Femi Falana: Why Jonathan Cannot Run For Presidency In 2023 by ikpumbe(m): 1:39pm On Apr 29, 2022
olaric:

Did you say "remove Jonathan?" That means Yorubas are kingmakers. Seriously, I can't believe you are flying the ethnic kite here...

I know you won't see the northern conspiracy I wrote there.

Because of your mumism

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Buhari Appoints PwC, KPMG To Audit NNPC, CBN, FIRS, Others / Patrick Obahiagbon Says Ize-Iyamu, Oshiomhole Unstoppable In Edo / Barr Festus Keyamo Declares For APC !!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.