Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,886 members, 7,814,003 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:05 AM

Oil Pressure Light Comes On When I Switch On Car Then Goes Off - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Oil Pressure Light Comes On When I Switch On Car Then Goes Off (1441 Views)

Wife Damages Her Lexus ES350 Car, Then Blames Husband (video) / My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC / Man Forgets Where He Parks His Car - Then Finds It 20 Years Later (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oil Pressure Light Comes On When I Switch On Car Then Goes Off by Juice191968: 9:10pm On Apr 30, 2022
Hey guys,
I just changed the diode on my alternator last week and I noticed that anytime I switch on my car the oil pressure light comes on for like 3 seconds then goes off.
I am a bit worried as I did not use to see that warning sign before
Please help

Gazzuz
Rad auto works
Re: Oil Pressure Light Comes On When I Switch On Car Then Goes Off by EkoErrands: 9:21pm On Apr 30, 2022
Juice191968:
Hey guys,
I just changed the diode on my alternator last week and I noticed that anytime I switch on my car the oil pressure light comes on for like 3 seconds then goes off.
Please help

Gazzuz
Rad auto works

If you turn your ignition on without starting the car does the oil pressure light stay on? I think it's normal for older cars more like the battery light stays on until you start the engine then it goes off.

If truly there is an issue, then it's either your oil filter needs to be changed as well as your engine oil. If the oil is dirty and the oil filter is clogged, it can cause a delay before oil pressure gets to it's normal runing pressure.

Solution: go for an oil change and endeavour to change your oil filter.

If that doesn't solve the issue then the next likely solution is to open your sump and clean the suction tube strainer, it may be clogged with debris from a previous engine overhaul.

If that still doesnt solve the problem, then you may have a failing oil pump which needs to be changed.

2 Likes

Re: Oil Pressure Light Comes On When I Switch On Car Then Goes Off by Juice191968: 9:27pm On Apr 30, 2022
EkoErrands:

If you turn your ignition on without starting the car does the oil pressure light stay on? I think it's normal for older cars more like the battery light stays on until you start the engine then it goes off.

If truly there is an issue, then it's either your oil filter needs to be changed as well as your engine oil. If the oil is dirty and the oil filter is clogged, it can cause a delay before oil pressure gets to it's normal runing pressure.

Solution: go for an oil change and endeavour to change your oil filter.

If that doesn't solve the issue then the next likely solution is to open your sump and clean the suction tube strainer, it may be clogged with debris from a previous engine overhaul.

If that still doesnt solve the problem, then you may have a failing oil pump which needs to be changed.

I will try and check tomorrow if the light comes up if I turn ignition on without starting the car

And I serviced the car in March 15th( I was using Mobil xhp before but the mechanic did a full clean up and used total quartz- he flushed the engine too) I didn’t use to see that light at all before the repair on my alternator that was done last week. Abi the mechanic don go temper with something. It’s just so annoying and frustrating
Thanks bro will call the mechanic tomorrow
Re: Oil Pressure Light Comes On When I Switch On Car Then Goes Off by bluebay(m): 10:58pm On Apr 30, 2022
Start the car to oberve like the man just said. If same thing , check 3 things , your oil sensor might be failing , your oil pump might be failing too or your oil filter is bad . Am sure of those 3 things
Re: Oil Pressure Light Comes On When I Switch On Car Then Goes Off by EkoErrands: 10:10am On May 01, 2022
Juice191968:

I will try and check tomorrow if the light comes up if I turn ignition on without starting the car

And I serviced the car in March 15th( I was using Mobil xhp before but the mechanic did a full clean up and used total quartz- he flushed the engine too) I didn’t use to see that light at all before the repair on my alternator that was done last week. Abi the mechanic don go temper with something. It’s just so annoying and frustrating
Thanks bro will call the mechanic tomorrow

Pls give me the spec of both oil, 5w20 or 5w30 or 5w40...what exactly was the spec of the Mobil you were using and the spec of the Total that you are currently using. Viscosity of oil can also cause a delay in oil pressure sensitivity especially if you didnt change the oil filter during your servicing.

On another note. Try sticking to the recommended oil spec for you vehicle, do your research and most importantly join the Facebook group that deals on your specific type of vehicle. You will learn a lot from people with exactly the same problems you may be facing and what solved their problems.

You will even learn the best oil spec to use on your particular vehicle assuming the manufacturers spec was totally off just like in the case of Ford F150 where spec was 5w20 but after some years users discovered that 5w30 was what was best for F150 and Ford later acknowledged.

1 Like

Re: Oil Pressure Light Comes On When I Switch On Car Then Goes Off by Day169: 10:37am On May 01, 2022
Juice191968:
Hey guys,
Please help

Gazzuz
Rad auto works
I have the same problem with my car, my mecho checked it and said it was the "oil switch", which I guess is the oil sensor.
Thanks.
Re: Oil Pressure Light Comes On When I Switch On Car Then Goes Off by Juice191968: 3:41pm On May 01, 2022
EkoErrands:

Pls give me the spec of both oil, 5w20 or 5w30 or 5w40...what exactly was the spec of the Mobil you were using and the spec of the Total that you are currently using. Viscosity of oil can also cause a delay in oil pressure sensitivity especially if you didnt change the oil filter during your servicing.

On another note. Try sticking to the recommended oil spec for you vehicle, do your research and most importantly join the Facebook group that deals on your specific type of vehicle. You will learn a lot from people with exactly the same problems you may be facing and what solved their problems.

You will even learn the best oil spec to use on your particular vehicle assuming the manufacturers spec was totally off just like in the case of Ford F150 where spec was 5w20 but after some years users discovered that 5w30 was what was best for F150 and Ford later acknowledged.

My mechanic came around today and said that it is normal. If I turn on the ignition without starting the car all the dashboard lights come on.
When I finally start the car the lights go off
He said that it is not a problem at all and didn’t recommend anything .

Am I safe or I should go to another mechanic ?

I’m trying to get full details of the oil but the mechanic isn’t picking up now
Re: Oil Pressure Light Comes On When I Switch On Car Then Goes Off by Juice191968: 3:41pm On May 01, 2022
Day169:

I have the same problem with my car, my mecho checked it and said it was the "oil switch", which I guess is the oil sensor.
Thanks.

He recommended you changed it yea?
Re: Oil Pressure Light Comes On When I Switch On Car Then Goes Off by wazzub: 6:25pm On May 01, 2022
Juice191968:

My mechanic came around today and said that it is normal. If I turn on the ignition without starting the car all the dashboard lights come on.

Quit stressing over nothing. There is nothing wrong with your oil pressure switch as it's performance is normal. It comes on when you switch on the ignition and goes off a few seconds after the engine is started.

1 Like

Re: Oil Pressure Light Comes On When I Switch On Car Then Goes Off by 2special(m): 7:14pm On May 01, 2022
Juice191968:

I think you're Good to Go! Cuz have been seeing the lights going on and off for about 3 seconds for the past few years.

1 Like

Re: Oil Pressure Light Comes On When I Switch On Car Then Goes Off by Day169: 12:01am On May 02, 2022
Juice191968:

He recommended you changed it yea?
He said it shouldn't pose a problem in the immediate but I haven't been at ease (just like you) since then, but in the interim, the general rule of checking one's car's oil level periodically applies.
Re: Oil Pressure Light Comes On When I Switch On Car Then Goes Off by EngRichie: 6:18am On May 02, 2022
Use oil with viscosity that works for your car
Change oil filter
Use original filter
Check oil strainer in sump since engine flush was done.

If it wasn't like that, it might just take time before you begin to hear valve noises.
Re: Oil Pressure Light Comes On When I Switch On Car Then Goes Off by homeboy205: 9:36am On May 02, 2022
Since you use engine flush, all deposit has been wash down.

You never made mention of the car so far but I pray it is not 2AZ engine.

After all engine flush the sump needs to be open
Re: Oil Pressure Light Comes On When I Switch On Car Then Goes Off by Juice191968: 1:43pm On May 02, 2022
homeboy205:
Since you use engine flush, all deposit has been wash down.

You never made mention of the car so far but I pray it is not 2AZ engine.

After all engine flush the sump needs to be open

Toyota Corolla 2009 classic edition

(1) (Reply)

2jz Ball Joint Wohala / How Much Does It Cost To Clear A Golf 3 In Apapa / Please Advice Convertion Of Fuel To Gas Usage In Cars

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.