Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,596 members, 7,823,591 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 12:07 PM

What Can Be Done To Stop The Flooding In Lagos? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Can Be Done To Stop The Flooding In Lagos? (10716 Views)

Heavy Rain Causes Flooding In Kano City (photos) / Pictures Of New Flooding In Benue State!!!! / Flooding In Kogi To Last Till November (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Can Be Done To Stop The Flooding In Lagos? by deelobe: 9:29pm On Jul 11, 2011
The Lagos state government could also set up a panel of professional, properly trained and experienced town planners to work on doing something about the floow. It will lead to some houses being demolished but the government can compensate them. this will be for the common good
Re: What Can Be Done To Stop The Flooding In Lagos? by Dream1: 9:40pm On Jul 11, 2011
deelobe:

The Lagos state government could also set up a panel of professional, properly trained and experienced town planners to work on doing something about the floow. It will lead to some houses being demolished but the government can compensate them. this will be for the common good

Nail on the head!!!
Re: What Can Be Done To Stop The Flooding In Lagos? by youngmonie: 9:44pm On Jul 11, 2011
That would have to be a federal project if they want to do that!!, we need some temporary solution and that could be done in the long term
Toaskarity:

DO YOU REALLY KNOW HOW MUCH THIS MUST COST! MOREOVER WE CANT DO IT OURSELVES, FOREIGN GUYS WILL DO IT MEANING X2 OF THE COST THE ABOVE PROJECT!
Re: What Can Be Done To Stop The Flooding In Lagos? by dogice(m): 9:57pm On Jul 11, 2011
Breaking news!!! Water level in lagos is now reaching chest region! Pls hope say water neva carry aki and pawpaw cry shocked grin
Re: What Can Be Done To Stop The Flooding In Lagos? by blacksta(m): 10:13pm On Jul 11, 2011
dogice:

Breaking news!!! Water level in lagos is now reaching chest region! Pls hope say water neva carry aki and pawpaw cry shocked grin

ode grin
Re: What Can Be Done To Stop The Flooding In Lagos? by dogice(m): 10:18pm On Jul 11, 2011
blacksta:

ode grin

tongue cheesy
Re: What Can Be Done To Stop The Flooding In Lagos? by Kobojunkie: 10:20pm On Jul 11, 2011
deelobe:

After 12 years, you are suggesting we pretend this is all new and set up more committees to solve a problem that we have supposedly spent billions to sort out? I think at this point, people need to demand answers from the government. Stop proffering silly solutions to OBVIOUS problems with OBVIOUS solutions. Not until Lagoscians, and Nigerians start demanding their officials pay for the cost, will things get better.

We will all come back here next year, and will likely see a repeat and the same solutions flow
Re: What Can Be Done To Stop The Flooding In Lagos? by Nobody: 10:20pm On Jul 11, 2011
dogice:

Breaking news!!! Water level in lagos is now reaching chest region! Pls hope say water neva carry aki and pawpaw   cry  shocked  grin
grin grin grin grin grin
this one na crazeman
chai u wicked o
anumpam  grin
Re: What Can Be Done To Stop The Flooding In Lagos? by Seun(m): 10:29pm On Jul 11, 2011
Kobojunkie:

After 12 years, you are suggesting we pretend this is all new and set up more committees to solve a problem that we have supposedly spent billions to sort out? I think at this point, people need to demand answers from the government. Stop proffering silly solutions to OBVIOUS problems with OBVIOUS solutions. Not until Lagoscians, and Nigerians start demanding their officials pay for the cost, will things get better.

We will all come back here next year, and will likely see a repeat and the same solutions flow
Can you list and explain the obvious solutions for the benefit of people like me who are not so clever? :-)
Re: What Can Be Done To Stop The Flooding In Lagos? by Nobody: 10:30pm On Jul 11, 2011
Seun:

Can you list and explain the obvious solutions for the benefit of people like me who are not so clever? :-)
grin grin grin grin grin grin
me too o, am not clever, uncl abeg list them
Re: What Can Be Done To Stop The Flooding In Lagos? by Kobojunkie: 10:33pm On Jul 11, 2011
Seun:

Don't you get tired asking that same question year after year 

Nigerians, Google has come to your rescue oooo! why hold fast to these question when answers abound, right at your finger tips?undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: What Can Be Done To Stop The Flooding In Lagos? by YoursGEJ(m): 10:50pm On Jul 11, 2011
Plead with boko haram to stop the flooding,
Re: What Can Be Done To Stop The Flooding In Lagos? by Nobody: 10:53pm On Jul 11, 2011
Yours GEJ,:

Plead with boko haram to stop the flooding,
common get outta here
wetin concern boko haram with flood
no be mammy water they cause am
shocked grin angry
Re: What Can Be Done To Stop The Flooding In Lagos? by dayotheone(m): 11:14pm On Jul 11, 2011
before anything at all , , excavate,eliminate, in such reduce the number of people leaving in Lagos to there district or state. Lagos is to small and to clumsy , the people are one of those who cause blockage for the flow of water
Re: What Can Be Done To Stop The Flooding In Lagos? by Nobody: 11:16pm On Jul 11, 2011
dayotheone:

before anything at all , , excavate,eliminate, in such reduce the number of people leaving in Lagos to there district or state. Lagos is to small and to clumsy , the people are one of those who cause blockage for the flow of water
Re: What Can Be Done To Stop The Flooding In Lagos? by delpee(f): 11:17pm On Jul 11, 2011
Ikoyi and VI never used to be heavily flooded up to the early 90s. (I stayed there for a while). Rather i always empathized with a friend living in Aguda then. Flooding started on the islands when the massive structures and concrete pavements took over from the simple houses with large gardens and roads with sandy walkways which always absorbed the water from heavy rainfall. The first experience of major flooding was the  spillover from the Atlantic ocean in the late 90s or thereabout. Now its an annual event to be endured by the same rich men who built their mansions to block the canals and paved all there surroundings leaving little room for water to be absorbed back into the ground.

In my opinion, the planning authorities should stop approving heavy structures in flood prone areas without good drainages. The Eko atlantic project should be reviewed to ensure that it does not have an adverse effect on the environment. Meanwhile the governor should be willing to demolish any structure obstructing the waterways irrespective of who the owners are and lagosians should learn to dispose their garbage properly.
Re: What Can Be Done To Stop The Flooding In Lagos? by Nobody: 11:18pm On Jul 11, 2011
my dad, sum years ago, relocated from lagos to osun state is hometown, no more hold up, 90 percent good roads, better light, bore hole water
people needs to start relocating back to where they came from, LAGOS IS NOT FOR EVERYONE
AND I BET PEOPLE WILL LIVE LONGER IN THEIR HOMETOWN OR SOMEWHERE APART FROM LAGOS
Re: What Can Be Done To Stop The Flooding In Lagos? by mkpologwu(m): 11:22pm On Jul 11, 2011
To return those houses built in warers back to land cos as humans take sand (earth) to build in waters, mermaids take water to build on sand (land).
We too dey encroach!
Re: What Can Be Done To Stop The Flooding In Lagos? by dayotheone(m): 11:23pm On Jul 11, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Don't you get tired asking that same question year after year 

Nigerians, Google has come to your rescue oooo! why hold fast to these question when answers abound, right at your finger tips?undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
my sis, dont you know google cant solve all the question .,because it  is not God  .we have pple having the right solution but no pple to implement it, lets do it our way stop employing international way of solving problem most of the time, it may nt work thes ame way
Re: What Can Be Done To Stop The Flooding In Lagos? by GAR3TH(m): 11:24pm On Jul 11, 2011
What can lagos state do to stop flooding, Nothing. Simply because the state has no cash to build an integrated drainage network.

This is a problem for the federal government to resolve either by building or funding a proper drainage network that includes sewage pipes (not gutters), Tanks, Underground drainage tunnels, levees,Pump stations and Flood gates.

Until then Lagos state gov will have to build secondary or temporary street drains but It wont solve the flood problem unless a true network is built.

I already know that lagos state has a town planning master plan draw up by Dar Al-Handasah Consultants but IDK if lagosians flowing it. Most likely alot of houses will have to be demolished for the masterplan to work.

Lagosians also have to stop dumping refuse, The state should enforce punishments and fines for littering.

All in all Lagos will have this problem for a while, I will be here next year when a similar thread will be created.

Here is an example of an underground main drainage tunnel for Cleveland and north east Ohio that is being constructed.
Just show you the true cost of a drainage network.

and the Tokyo Drainage tank

[img]http://2.bp..com/_OYiHkpoJvZA/SIiKa-uc_SI/AAAAAAAAAPY/pajozV28V7g/s1600/swage2.jpg[/img]
Re: What Can Be Done To Stop The Flooding In Lagos? by Kobojunkie: 11:35pm On Jul 11, 2011
dayotheone:

my sis, dont you know google cant solve all the question .,because it  is not God  .we have pple having the right solution but no pple to implement it, lets do it our way stop employing international way of solving problem most of the time, it may nt work thes ame way

Who says anything about google solving any problem other than helping people  with answers to questions that the world has SOLVED and moved on on?

Stop employing international ways of solving problems?? Are you sane at all?  You are suggesting that building better drainage in Nigeria, in Lagos, may not work at all even before you actually build it first and then try it? WOW!!!   shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Re: What Can Be Done To Stop The Flooding In Lagos? by Seun(m): 11:43pm On Jul 11, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Who says anything about google solving any problem other than helping people  with answers to questions that the world has SOLVED and moved on on?

Stop employing international ways of solving problems?? Are you sane at all?  You are suggesting that building better drainage in Nigeria, in Lagos, may not work at all even before you actually build it first and then try it? WOW!!!   shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Can you at least give us the name of the solution you're proposing or a reference web page you recommend?
Re: What Can Be Done To Stop The Flooding In Lagos? by MMM2(m): 11:45pm On Jul 11, 2011
Constructing of swimming pool with dose water in every street & road of lagos. angry
Re: What Can Be Done To Stop The Flooding In Lagos? by Nobody: 11:49pm On Jul 11, 2011
M M M:

Constructing of swimming pool with dose water in every street & road of lagos. angry
i swear u need refund of ur brain surgery wey u do for alausa hospital
i no they lie o grin
Re: What Can Be Done To Stop The Flooding In Lagos? by Kobojunkie: 11:53pm On Jul 11, 2011
Seun:

Can you at least give us the name of the solution you're proposing or a reference web page you recommend?

Na!  grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

You will never get me engaging in that vain practice that has become common practice for those who have ready-made reasons why things should not work as they ought to, even in Nigeria! grin grin grin grin
Re: What Can Be Done To Stop The Flooding In Lagos? by Nobody: 11:57pm On Jul 11, 2011
M M M:

where are you now? you must be consuming some real root of cassava embarassed
Re: What Can Be Done To Stop The Flooding In Lagos? by oohunt: 12:04am On Jul 12, 2011
Maybe we need such (or even more) disasters to wake us up. Amazing what the Japanese have built. We always talk and it does not lead anywhere. For us to move forward in this country, there must be a drastic change. Else, we are going nowhere and we'll continue having issues here and there.

By the way @op this photograph is from last year,
Re: What Can Be Done To Stop The Flooding In Lagos? by redsun(m): 12:57am On Jul 12, 2011
All that dangerous and wasted water can be channelled into deep underground reservoirs for clean water supply that can extend
Re: What Can Be Done To Stop The Flooding In Lagos? by redsun(m): 1:00am On Jul 12, 2011
extend to neighbouring states like ogun and even benin republic.Water water everywhere,no water for fools to drink
Re: What Can Be Done To Stop The Flooding In Lagos? by emmatok(m): 1:15am On Jul 12, 2011
GAR3TH:

What can lagos state do to stop flooding, Nothing. Simply because the state has no cash to build an integrated drainage network.

This is a problem for the federal government to resolve either by building or funding a proper drainage network that includes sewage pipes (not gutters), Tanks, Underground drainage tunnels, levees,Pump stations and Flood gates.

Until then Lagos state gov will have to build secondary or temporary street drains but It wont solve the flood problem unless a true network is built.

I already know that lagos state has a town planning master plan draw up by Dar Al-Handasah Consultants but IDK if lagosians flowing it. Most likely alot of houses will have to be demolished for the masterplan to work.

Lagosians also have to stop dumping refuse, The state should enforce punishments and fines for littering.

All in all Lagos will have this problem for a while, I will be here next year when a similar thread will be created.

Here is an example of an underground main drainage tunnel for Cleveland and north east Ohio that is being constructed.
Just show you the true cost of a drainage network.

and the Tokyo Drainage tank

[img]http://2.bp..com/_OYiHkpoJvZA/SIiKa-uc_SI/AAAAAAAAAPY/pajozV28V7g/s1600/swage2.jpg[/img]

Man, I really love that Tokyo drainage, that is massive !!!

I need that I V.I right now.

How much it cost.
Re: What Can Be Done To Stop The Flooding In Lagos? by ezeagu(m): 1:17am On Jul 12, 2011
emmatok:

Man, I really love that Tokyo drainage, that is massive !!!

I need that I V.I right now.

How much it cost.

Several billion dollars and about 10-20 years.
Re: What Can Be Done To Stop The Flooding In Lagos? by Seun(m): 1:36am On Jul 12, 2011
The underground drainage concept should work, but where does the water go? Does it work below sea level?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Why We Need N222 Billion To Conduct Nigeria’s 2018 Census – NPC Chairman / “Why I Sponsored Correctional Service Bill” – Senator Andy Uba / FG Agencies Move To Enforce 24 Hours Port Operation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.