Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,545 members, 7,823,390 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:37 AM

What Can Be Done To Stop The Flooding In Lagos? - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Can Be Done To Stop The Flooding In Lagos? (10715 Views)

Heavy Rain Causes Flooding In Kano City (photos) / Pictures Of New Flooding In Benue State!!!! / Flooding In Kogi To Last Till November (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Can Be Done To Stop The Flooding In Lagos? by EkoIle1: 6:47am On Jul 13, 2011
Pifa:

The areas that use the storage systems you mentioned are generally deep in the rural and farm country. The urban coastal areas that stretch from San Francisco to San Diego tend to use their proximity to the ocean to fullest advantage. That includes discharging storm runoff into the ocean.

Same way Los Angeles River (flood control) drains rainwater from storm drains into the Pacific Ocean.
Re: What Can Be Done To Stop The Flooding In Lagos? by Kobojunkie: 12:54pm On Jul 13, 2011
Pifa:

The areas that use the storage systems you mentioned are generally deep in the rural and farm country. The urban coastal areas that stretch from San Francisco to San Diego tend to use their proximity to the ocean to fullest advantage. That includes discharging storm runoff into the ocean.

Well, I am not sure what you are getting at here, but so far I think we know at this point that

a) Even San francisco has a vast drainage system that drains about 40% of the run off into the bay
b) the other 60% goes elsewhere
c) And the elsewhere could include reservoirs where the water is recycled and reused

This is something Lagos as a city, and as a a State can definitely take advantage of. If the existence of reservoirs is what you have a problem with, then I will say I am not sure that is even close to an issue at this time for this case given that the lack of proper drainage remains the core of the problem. Draining into whatever IS NOT the problem at this time (The State already has reservoirs spotted around the the area but I am not sure if anything is being actively drained into them given that it has been a long time since I researched some of those ''tanks').

Drainage itself is the issue. I only felt to mention the use of temporary/permanent stores because someone suggested that building on Natural water pathways was a NO-NO. That was where this all started, if you go back and I intended to explain that that itself was not a problem as long as alternative routes for water to drain, are provided and maintained.
Re: What Can Be Done To Stop The Flooding In Lagos? by dayotheone(m): 8:20pm On Jul 13, 2011
Kobojunkie:

miss, come down ,are we fighting, , do you even know hw to read and understand /interprete what u read ,, i said ''dont you know google cant solve all the question'' meaning the possibility of google solving the chanlleges we are facing is inbtw.
and who told you that the other ways , other country use in solving there problem will solve ours , think about the economical factor , eviromental factors , even the sea and land or soil factors , dont allows folow crowed that is why we are not so much create in our country. merci
Re: What Can Be Done To Stop The Flooding In Lagos? by Kobojunkie: 10:28pm On Jul 13, 2011
^^^^ Again, make sure to read before you retort!!!

My response to you was on point. Google has nothing to do with this. It is simply a matter of our government applying solutions that have been tried and tested elsewhere and proven effective.

Who told me that solving problem the way others have will work for us? I don't know if you realize how silly that question, especially in this situation. Water is water . . . you fight it by diverting it where you need it to. Even CAVEMEN did it that for thousands of years before now -- the same Lagos has used it so many times before now ( though not effectively). For you to ask presume that this solution will not work for Nigeria because of possible economic factors, environmental etc. . . leaves me baffled that you even know how to use a computer.
Re: What Can Be Done To Stop The Flooding In Lagos? by ektbear: 10:33pm On Jul 13, 2011
Pifa doesn't post much, but when he does it is quality. Kudos, man
Re: What Can Be Done To Stop The Flooding In Lagos? by ezeagu(m): 10:36pm On Jul 13, 2011
Who's going to start posting Venice pictures for the Aba thread?

Any takers?
Re: What Can Be Done To Stop The Flooding In Lagos? by Kobojunkie: 10:41pm On Jul 13, 2011
Tokyo pictures and maybe Pakistan too!
Re: What Can Be Done To Stop The Flooding In Lagos? by GAR3TH(m): 10:44pm On Jul 13, 2011
Here is a good report about the floods that impacted kano, Similar to what happened in lagos.

[flash=425,349]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB_4kz6iuHQ?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0[/flash]

NOTE: - Materials used to build homes
          - Area affected by floods were in active waterways
          - Refuse
          - Blocking of water canal and streams (over 300 homes)
          - Below standard infrastructure.
Re: What Can Be Done To Stop The Flooding In Lagos? by Kobojunkie: 10:52pm On Jul 13, 2011
I like how the video ends by stating "that sustainability of the refuse generated is at the hand of the matter". Again, Government needs to step in to do the right thing  . . . if people were able to dispose of refuse more effectively, it would be refuse not going into the drains. The gutters don't look like they are cleared at all.

Here's hoping Kano state government will step up to the plate to tackle the issue of refuse dumping at least. If it feels the buildings over the gutters need to be demolished, then by all means, it should also pursue that route. The people in those videos are human beings and they too deserve to benefit from the free money the state gets in allocations each month, along with the money it generates from it's resources. cool
Re: What Can Be Done To Stop The Flooding In Lagos? by tpia5: 1:40am On Jul 14, 2011
Ezeagu is there a problem.

You tend to be extremely negative about anything pertaining to nigeria and i think you should shut it occasionally or must something bad happen in your village before you grow a brain.

Se aje ni e ni.
Re: What Can Be Done To Stop The Flooding In Lagos? by ezeagu(m): 3:21am On Jul 14, 2011
Is it not a flood picture thread? Does the east not deserve its own? Lef me now, ah ah!
Re: What Can Be Done To Stop The Flooding In Lagos? by tpia5: 3:35am On Jul 14, 2011
^^your computer doesnt let you open your own thread?

1 Like

Re: What Can Be Done To Stop The Flooding In Lagos? by dayotheone(m): 9:22am On Jul 15, 2011
Kobojunkie:

hello missi , cool down are we here to fight , do you even know how to read or interprete . i said '' dont you know google cant solve all the question'' meaning the posiibility of its working here is inbtw . think ing abt economical factor, environmental factor mind factor , you av to plan all in this country , that is wat am talking abt ,
Re: What Can Be Done To Stop The Flooding In Lagos? by Patnoble: 5:33pm On Jul 15, 2011
Wao thats unfortunate but in other sense,before now if you ask them to evaquate from that place they will refuse.My suggestion is that gvnr fashola should make some channels and any house that need to be destroyed should be down because if anything should happened again he will be the one to be blemed,so let him take his chases and make lagos the meger that people has known it to be at all time, GODBLESS NIGERIA,GODBLESS LAGOS.BYEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!! cheesy
Re: What Can Be Done To Stop The Flooding In Lagos? by sley4life(m): 6:57pm On Jul 15, 2011
nothing can be done

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

PDP Battles Ghost Workers, Pays Staff In Cash / PDP Sets Dates For Congresses Ahead Of 2023 Election / Ahmed Lawan: Buhari Diversified The Economy More Than Any Previous Leader

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.