Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,617 members, 7,809,263 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:57 AM

Boko Haram: Igbos Flee Borno - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Boko Haram: Igbos Flee Borno (4355 Views)

Thousands Flee Borno Communities After Fresh B’haram Attacks / 2,000 Civilians Flee Borno To Niger Republic / Boko-Haram Amnesty Failure: Igbos, Yorubas Flee Borno (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Boko Haram: Igbos Flee Borno by ak47mann(m): 4:41am On Jul 11, 2011
MAIDUGURI – Igbo traders and other non-natives of Borno State have started fleeing the area and relocating to their home-states to avoid being killed by members of the Boko Haram who had murdered scores of people including soldiers, politicians, religious leaders and other security agents in the last two years. The majority of the non- natives, especially Igbos, have resorted to selling their houses and other landed property, saying that they no longer feel safe to carry out their businesses in Maiduguri and other neighbouring northern states.

It was gathered that those who reside in the crisis-prone areas like Budum, Abaganaram, Kumshe, Ungwar Shanu, Customs area, State low-cost Housing Estate, Gwange, Konar Yobe and London Ciki, among others, have fled their houses, while many of them have put their houses on sale at ridiculously cheaper rates.

Four soldiers were killed in the latest bomb attack by the Boko Haram in Maiduguri, Borno State, just as two council bosses were earlier shot dead by the sect members.
Re: Boko Haram: Igbos Flee Borno by EzeUche(m): 4:44am On Jul 11, 2011
Should I have pity on my brothers? Yes. . . But do I have pity for them? No. . . They will be back if the Boko Haram crisis is settled.
Re: Boko Haram: Igbos Flee Borno by ak47mann(m): 4:47am On Jul 11, 2011
EzeUche:

Should I have pity on my brothers? Yes. . . But do I have pity for them? No. . . They will be back if the Boko Haram crisis is settled.
very true, but i think not all of them will eventually go back to that hell state sad sad sad
Re: Boko Haram: Igbos Flee Borno by EzeUche(m): 4:50am On Jul 11, 2011
ak47mann:

very true, but i think not all of them will eventually go back to that hell state sad sad sad

I wonder why our people tend to live in such regions. Do they not value their lives? What is more important, making money or their lives?
Re: Boko Haram: Igbos Flee Borno by seanet03: 4:55am On Jul 11, 2011
I hope my Yoruba kinsmen have already started leaving the Whole North, because anytime from now the military may strike and if we mistakenly see a northerner as the new head of state then forget Nigeria.
Re: Boko Haram: Igbos Flee Borno by ak47mann(m): 4:58am On Jul 11, 2011
i think they have learned their lesson by now cos this level of constant violence killing and bombing they never experience it in there lives any one of them that go back there is a fool, he or she deserved it, or else if they are going  back to sign his properties to the new owners after finalizing with the price  cool
Re: Boko Haram: Igbos Flee Borno by EzeUche(m): 5:10am On Jul 11, 2011
ak47mann:

i think they have learned their lesson by now cos this level of constant violence killing and bombing they never experience it in there lives any one of them that go back there is a fool, he or she deserved it, or else if they are going  back to sign his properties to the new owners after finalizing with the price  cool

At least they are leaving early. I see a dark storm on the horizon for Nigeria.
Re: Boko Haram: Igbos Flee Borno by NegroNtns(m): 5:26am On Jul 11, 2011
Beside the coup and the war, both of which were soldier to soldier, I do not know of any history of unrest in which civilians turn guns on Federal soldiers.
That man is doomed that disobeys an Army command much more assault one in uniform.

Serious situation there. A bad and bloody confrontation is imminent!
Re: Boko Haram: Igbos Flee Borno by russellino: 8:03am On Jul 11, 2011
My people are getting smart at last. I just hope they can look homewards to invest their capital
Re: Boko Haram: Igbos Flee Borno by Nobody: 10:29am On Jul 12, 2011
Why are they fleeing ? It's only in Lagos and other SW states that ibos can make mouth ! Mschew
EzeUche:

At least they are leaving early. I see a dark storm on the horizon for Nigeria.
Re: Boko Haram: Igbos Flee Borno by Ad4(m): 10:53am On Jul 12, 2011
I remember Warri.This was exactly what happened and Warri people regreted it to the extent that they were calling back investors.Boko haram has set Bornu state years behinde in terms of development cos no reasonable investor will go there. For my Igbo brothers,I like what's happening to them.They'll never learn,always developing other people's region while your own state's hungry for development.Image a place like Owerri with no single industry but Imo indigenes have large,medium and small scale industries in Lagos,Ibadan,Rivers and so many other places around Nigeria but which northerner has a storey building in the igbo land.
Re: Boko Haram: Igbos Flee Borno by cold(m): 12:04pm On Jul 12, 2011
Some of these fools who claim they know better than everyone else just choose to spew bunkum whenever it suits them.There are folks who where born in the north & have lived there all their lives as well as made investments running into millions & you just expect them to relocate at the slightest whim & start all over again?Please grow a brain.
Someone like me who was born & bred in Jos & travel home like any other Easterner at the end of the year or whenever i'm in the country would just get up one morning, dispose of all i've ever laboured for & begin all over in the East.Na today!
Re: Boko Haram: Igbos Flee Borno by Nobody: 12:47pm On Jul 12, 2011
cold:

Some of these fools who claim they know better than everyone else just choose to spew bunkum whenever it suits them.There are folks who where born in the north & have lived there all their lives as well as made investments running into millions & you just expect them to relocate at the slightest whim & start all over again?Please grow a brain.
Someone like me who was born & bred in Jos & travel home like any other Easterner at the end of the year or whenever i'm in the country would just get up one morning, dispose of all i've ever laboured for & begin all over in the East.Na today!

Maybe you should think of going up north if Nigeria finally breaks.
Re: Boko Haram: Igbos Flee Borno by cold(m): 12:51pm On Jul 12, 2011
Maybe just maybe
Re: Boko Haram: Igbos Flee Borno by Nobody: 12:52pm On Jul 12, 2011
I have no clue why some of these people can not find other means of livelihood somewhere in the South?

Nigeria Government can't guarantee the security of Nigerians anywhere in the country but when you become an easy target whenever there is trouble in some sections of the country, then common sense tells me the next thing should be to rethink where u live
Re: Boko Haram: Igbos Flee Borno by Nobody: 12:56pm On Jul 12, 2011
mikeansy:

I have no clue why some of these people can not find other means of livelihood somewhere in the South?

Nigeria Government can't guarantee the security of Nigerians anywhere in the country but when you become an easy target whenever there is trouble in some sections of the country, then common sense tells me the next thing should be to rethink where u live

So what happens to people ''cold'' who were born, bred and have invested all their lives in these danger zones ?
cold:

Maybe just maybe

Then you shouldn't complain whatever your eyes see when this finally happens.
Re: Boko Haram: Igbos Flee Borno by ak47mann(m): 12:56pm On Jul 12, 2011
cold:

Maybe just maybe
o boy you better leave or you will end up like those youth corpers  in the past election even now people from chad, Cameron, are now leaving and you are here talking[b] ADVICE LIFE NO GET DUPLICATE [/b]

THIS ARTICLE AM GOING TO POST IS FROM DAILY TRUST NEWSPAPER!!!
Daily Trust reports in the last three days, speculations were rife in the university community that members of the Jama’atu Ahlis-Sunnati Lidda’awati Wal Jihad, popularly called Boko Haram, had sent a letter to Unimaid’s Muslim students directing them to vacate the campus because of an imminent attack on its strategic buildings.
On their part, students of the university said they received the announcement with mixed feelings. President of the students union government (SUG) Musa Terrang said he hopes the action taken will be in the best interest of the students. Fatima Sa’idu, a business administration student said “I am personally happy with the action taken by the university because we have been living under fear. In the last forty days, I have not been concentrating because whenever I heard a blast, it takes me long to recover.”
Re: Boko Haram: Igbos Flee Borno by rolchi(m): 2:56pm On Jul 12, 2011
A friend just confirmed it, people are leaving! But the cost of transport has increased as well. Borno is quietly going back to the middle ages, May God help Bornostan!
Re: Boko Haram: Igbos Flee Borno by Nobody: 3:06pm On Jul 12, 2011
Why tribalised the people suffering, aint Borno state indigines fleeing too? Mscheew
Re: Boko Haram: Igbos Flee Borno by 9dynasty(m): 3:29pm On Jul 12, 2011
rolchi:

A friend just confirmed it, people are leaving! But the cost of transport has increased as well. Borno is quietly going back to the middle ages, May God help Bornostan!
now that's a first for me. . .sounds more like Afghani[b]stan[/b] grin grin grin
Re: Boko Haram: Igbos Flee Borno by cap28: 3:53pm On Jul 12, 2011
something is not right here, i lived in maiduguri for for 5 years with my parents and attended university in Jos, i can never remember encountering any kind of bad treatment from the indigenous people (i'm igbo) something or someone is trying to divide nigeria or cause some sort of destabilisation - the plot continues to thicken.

Why now? who is really behind boko haram?
Re: Boko Haram: Igbos Flee Borno by proudly9ja(m): 3:58pm On Jul 12, 2011
I don't think we should turn this into a tribal issue. As far as we know, the Boko Haram people have attacked EVERYONE, Igbo, Yorubas and Hausas. Several of the police men that died during the attack on the station were northerners. So it isn't a tribal issue at all. Indigenes may find it hard to leave probably because they have no where to run to unlike others who have families in other parts of Nigeria.

The Federal Government needs to address this as soon as possible. If it isn't addressed, it will only give others boldness to start their own small groups.
Re: Boko Haram: Igbos Flee Borno by proudly9ja(m): 3:59pm On Jul 12, 2011
In addition, I remember the former IG telling us some years ago that we have Al-Qadea now in Nigeria but a lot of us told him to keep quiet. If only we (government) had acted on that 'intelligence'.
Re: Boko Haram: Igbos Flee Borno by clemcykul(f): 4:03pm On Jul 12, 2011
the earlier the igbos pack up, the better for them. northerns states are no longer safe. embarassed
Re: Boko Haram: Igbos Flee Borno by Desola(f): 11:11pm On Jul 12, 2011
. . .and we know which region would be getting a good bulk of these refugees,

Despite the flood, Lagos is about to receive more mouths to feed. Goodluck to Nigeria.

If Fashola is already governing over 17 million citizens, why doesn't he just preside over the western region?
Re: Boko Haram: Igbos Flee Borno by ezeagu(m): 11:28pm On Jul 12, 2011
ak47mann:

They went back when the war finished didn't they? That was after the biggest massacre in Nigeria.
Re: Boko Haram: Igbos Flee Borno by ezeagu(m): 11:31pm On Jul 12, 2011
Desola:

. . .and we know which region would be getting a good bulk of these refugees,

Despite the flood, Lagos is about to receive more mouths to feed. Goodluck to Nigeria.

If Fashola is already governing over 17 million citizens, why doesn't he just preside over the western region?

You're going to have to beg a little harder to attract their investments.
Re: Boko Haram: Igbos Flee Borno by ezeagu(m): 11:33pm On Jul 12, 2011
proudly9ja:

I don't think we should turn this into a tribal issue.

It has already been confirmed that a significant amount of people in Maidugri support Boko Haram.
Re: Boko Haram: Igbos Flee Borno by Desola(f): 11:37pm On Jul 12, 2011
You're going to have to beg a little harder to attract their investments

Nah. . .we can just about cope with the third hand spare parts, fake drugs e.t.c. I think we'll pass on having more filth, thanks.
Re: Boko Haram: Igbos Flee Borno by ezeagu(m): 11:48pm On Jul 12, 2011
Desola:

Nah. . .we can just about cope with the third hand spare parts, fake drugs e.t.c. I think we'll pass on having more filth, thanks.

You're going to have to work harder than that, reverse psychology is no longer effective. For filth (even though they don't make 5% of the beggars on Lagos' streets) they sure get quite a lot of attention from you, has anyone ever told you you'd make a good bin lady or maybe you can get a job just holding trash, or maybe just a job . . . . .(well, that isn't sitting abroad anonymously chatting shit you can't back because of your insecurities). Keep yapping dear, I'm sure many of your borthers are cheering your self on.
Re: Boko Haram: Igbos Flee Borno by HisExcellencyBKNjoku: 12:09am On Jul 13, 2011
If the government is unable to resolve the issue @ stakes, then splitting is the only option left.

Igbos have always suffered more, when it comes to crisis like this, yes they(majority) are business oriented. After all investments and blah blah blah when things like this happens(crisis, unrest, war etc) they tend to loose many thhings. Is high they learnt, to invest too in their own states,
Re: Boko Haram: Igbos Flee Borno by EzeUche(m): 12:19am On Jul 13, 2011
His Excellency B.K. Njoku:

If the government is unable to resolve the issue @ stakes, then splitting is the only option left.

Igbos have always suffered more, when it comes to crisis like this, yes they(majority) are business oriented. After all investments and blah blah blah when things like this happens(crisis, unrest, war etc) they tend to loose many thhings. Is high they learnt, to invest too in their own states,

These fools never learn. I have no pity for them. That includes members of my own clan.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Non-alcoholic Beer In The Market / Lets Form A Youth Political Party That Will Be The Main Opposition In Nigeria / Best Candicates For 2019 Presidency.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.