Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,721 members, 7,816,965 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:30 PM

How Can You Tell If A Car Has Overheated In The Past? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Can You Tell If A Car Has Overheated In The Past? (16704 Views)

Car Owners And Experts Can You Tell If A Vehicle Had Accident In The Past? / How To Tell If Your Car Tyres Are Expired / Toyota’s New Self-driving Car Has Two Steering (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Can You Tell If A Car Has Overheated In The Past? by fineboynl(m): 3:50pm On May 02, 2022
How do you tell if a car has ever overheated in the past?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Can You Tell If A Car Has Overheated In The Past? by EngRichie: 9:00am On May 03, 2022
The obvious way to tell are few or non-existent. You can detect if a neat job wasn't done when you look at the top gasket lamination between the engine block and the top cylinder. And this is if the head gasket was changed. A car can possibly overheat without damaging anything if it is arrested on time.

Other signs are direct fan connection, cooling system leak, thermostat removal and other cooling system modifications.

The truth is, all things being intact, you can't tell a car that overheated in the past except you have a high end scan tool that can retrieve history codes (if the codes are still in the memory).

I will like to hear opinion of others on this.

85 Likes 10 Shares

Re: How Can You Tell If A Car Has Overheated In The Past? by drmorphine(m): 10:06am On May 03, 2022
Great DIY things here but you can do better by using pictures to your narratives. Nonetheless, this pieces is highly informative.
Re: How Can You Tell If A Car Has Overheated In The Past? by ogawisdom(m): 8:31am On May 04, 2022
grin

Once it's fan is connected directly it has over heated in the past.

Once thermostat has been removed, it has over heated in the past

Almost any car driven in Nigeria for 5 years has over heated esp when bought as naija used

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can You Tell If A Car Has Overheated In The Past? by slawormiir: 8:31am On May 04, 2022
Damnnn niggar

Grab my weed to learn some dope shit

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can You Tell If A Car Has Overheated In The Past? by fredodo007(m): 8:32am On May 04, 2022
Not too sure I have an idea on this but a scanner can produce a desired result

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Can You Tell If A Car Has Overheated In The Past? by truthCoder: 8:32am On May 04, 2022
How can you know if a man has had sex before?

EDIT:
I made this post yesterday in response to the OP’s question.

It was an analogy that indirectly answers the question with a common inference.

I was immediately banned and locked out of Car Talk for 24 hours and prevented from other threads for an hour.

This could only have happened in Car Talk section.

The restrictions on free speech here is appalling.

This is why renowned names like Siena etc have left.

We keep wondering why there are no fresh contents here.

To the mods, no vex say i come your section o.

Seun should start giving mods financial targets. Car Talk is currently on a 50% discount in advert rates due to the unnecessary policing.

Enjoy your car talk.

Cheers

13 Likes

Re: How Can You Tell If A Car Has Overheated In The Past? by princeogbeide1(m): 8:32am On May 04, 2022
F
Re: How Can You Tell If A Car Has Overheated In The Past? by Imindmywords(m): 8:33am On May 04, 2022
EngRichie:
The obvious way to tell are few or non-existent. You can detect if a neat job wasn't done when you look at the top gasket lamination between the engine block and the top cylinder. And this is if the head gasket was changed. A car can possibly overheat without damaging anything if it is arrested on time.

Other signs are direct fan connection, cooling system leak, thermostat removal and other cooling system modifications.

The truth is, all things being intact, you can't tell a car that overheated in the past except you have a high end scan tool that can retrieve history codes (if the codes are still in the memory).

Guy, you are goood.... very good

23 Likes

Re: How Can You Tell If A Car Has Overheated In The Past? by Emmastan291: 8:33am On May 04, 2022
Ask a car mechanic

1 Like

Re: How Can You Tell If A Car Has Overheated In The Past? by MrHighSea: 8:33am On May 04, 2022
EngRichie:

School passed through this guy.

Be diagrammatic to make it easy to decipher.

19 Likes

Re: How Can You Tell If A Car Has Overheated In The Past? by princeogbeide1(m): 8:34am On May 04, 2022
EngRichie:

You killed it.. you have said it all bro

6 Likes

Re: How Can You Tell If A Car Has Overheated In The Past? by Mko123(m): 8:35am On May 04, 2022
I'm just imagining the way nairaland babes will be scared of this thread as if it's leprosy and the lot of those keyboard warriors airing their thrashed opinion so as to bash older people.

I'm patiently waiting if this thread will make three pages

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can You Tell If A Car Has Overheated In The Past? by henrixx(m): 8:36am On May 04, 2022
fineboynl:
How do you tell if a car has ever overheated in the past?
check the gasket if it has been changed or worked on

plus do a correct scanning of the car history(this type of scanning can be done at high quality mechanic workshops like @toyota for e.g) it could tell too, especially when it shows there's been some gasket issues in the past

also check and see if there's a cooling system leak. the odds are high some overheating could have happened

2 Likes

Re: How Can You Tell If A Car Has Overheated In The Past? by Ekakamba: 8:36am On May 04, 2022
Good question. Make I sit here.
Re: How Can You Tell If A Car Has Overheated In The Past? by Hdhdhd(m): 8:36am On May 04, 2022
20 plots of land for sale at bishop hurt IMSU Owerri imo state
Re: How Can You Tell If A Car Has Overheated In The Past? by Zhirinovsky: 8:37am On May 04, 2022
What risk does a car that have overheated in the past pose?

I don't see it as a problem as long as the cause was identified and the relevant part changed.

9 Likes

Re: How Can You Tell If A Car Has Overheated In The Past? by Alpheus111: 8:38am On May 04, 2022
Any interested person to learn about car tracking business can message me on WhatsApp or desires to learn about affiliate marketing-09033818169

1 Like

Re: How Can You Tell If A Car Has Overheated In The Past? by Omniman(m): 8:38am On May 04, 2022
cool
Re: How Can You Tell If A Car Has Overheated In The Past? by Kingozymandias(m): 8:39am On May 04, 2022
splashbaby:
Very true, when also some overzealous moderators treat people like shit here. Who's going to create content for them? Gradually Nairaland is going into oblivion.

Not the mods bro the problem is the business model was flawed from inception. Relying on user contents alone was eventually going lead it to death. Because that can only work in a communist country where people can't have access to create their own websites ... Why do you think lindaikeji started creating her own content from the beginning? She foresaw this model ...

Either the owner employ full time content creators or watch this website die very soon already it's obvious. On each thread you see 20.or 30.comments by the same few accounts and it's always Tinubu this ipob that just tribal bashing

8 Likes

Re: How Can You Tell If A Car Has Overheated In The Past? by Nobody: 8:40am On May 04, 2022
Here to learn and also contribute.

1) Any overheated engine must have burnt the gasket, though depending on the level of overheating and duration. If this is the case, then the top cylinder must be opened in other to change the burnt gasket. So simply check if the engine has been open, you would know so by carefully and diligently observing the seals around the engine corners for sealing gums used in coupling the engine back.

2) Also check if the radiator has been changed or patched! If any of this is the case then it is possible that the engine overheated before the owner discovered the leaking radiator.

My 2cents. Talking from experience.

Hope I made sense.

2 Likes

Re: How Can You Tell If A Car Has Overheated In The Past? by EmmaLege: 8:41am On May 04, 2022
Hmm I would love to know this too cool
Re: How Can You Tell If A Car Has Overheated In The Past? by EmmaLege: 8:42am On May 04, 2022
EngRichie:

You na senior man mechanic o grin

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Name Of Your First Car And Your Experience With It? / Is It A Must For Private Car Owner To Have Road Worthiness? / Driver Gets Ticket Dismissed After Driving On Autopilot With Feet Out Of Window

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.