Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,059 members, 7,810,950 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 07:16 PM

Has The Flood From Sunday's Rain Changed Your Mind About Where To Live In Lagos? - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Has The Flood From Sunday's Rain Changed Your Mind About Where To Live In Lagos? (6178 Views)

Flood Submerges Over 150 Houses In Markurdi- Vanguard / Owner Of Mansion Swept Away By Flood In Anambra Threatens To Kill Himself (Photo / The Flood Has Come (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Has The Flood From Sunday's Rain Changed Your Mind About Where To Live In Lagos? by maclatunji: 10:30am On Jul 12, 2011
The rain that was witnessed on Sunday, 10th of July, 2011 in Lagos is one that Legends are made-of. Some were killed, while property worth billions of naira was either lost or damaged. Kindly share your experience and your thoughts on the rain and whether or not the current location where you live is relatively safe from flooding. Are you going to relocate because of your experience from that day?

I live along the airport road axis on the mainland and we did not witness such devastating floods as was experienced on the Island and areas close to canals or rivers in Lagos.
Re: Has The Flood From Sunday's Rain Changed Your Mind About Where To Live In Lagos? by ayotoyin(f): 12:11pm On Jul 12, 2011
I reside at agbado area, apart from the damage done around the ijaiye axis of Lagos Abeokuta express, i dint experience the devastated flood seeing in the dailies, so, no change of mind to relocate for now, i pray taht God will console those that lost their properties.
Re: Has The Flood From Sunday's Rain Changed Your Mind About Where To Live In Lagos? by Pelummy(f): 12:25pm On Jul 12, 2011
no,bt may almighty console those that av lost their loved ones
Re: Has The Flood From Sunday's Rain Changed Your Mind About Where To Live In Lagos? by Seadbari(m): 12:28pm On Jul 12, 2011
I live at ifako gbagada and my experience was horrible! water entered my apartment, the water level in the sitting was like 10 inches high, the level in the compound was knee length while that on the street was above the waist for someone of my height "6 feet", few things went with the rain, TV in the room feel into the water, the decoder in the sitting feel into the water also, sparked n hasn't come since, my clothes and some other stuff i have not noticed, could sleep at home that night, had to leave for an hotel that night around past twelve,
Re: Has The Flood From Sunday's Rain Changed Your Mind About Where To Live In Lagos? by ralphilo(m): 12:33pm On Jul 12, 2011
the rain has certainly exposed the mistake a lot of people make when looking for where to build or rent houses. A lot of consideration should be given to the terrain or location of such a property.I hope we learn.
Re: Has The Flood From Sunday's Rain Changed Your Mind About Where To Live In Lagos? by tboy1(m): 12:40pm On Jul 12, 2011
Someone was caught swimming on the island

Re: Has The Flood From Sunday's Rain Changed Your Mind About Where To Live In Lagos? by Seadbari(m): 12:43pm On Jul 12, 2011
planning our escape!!!

Re: Has The Flood From Sunday's Rain Changed Your Mind About Where To Live In Lagos? by bisiaet: 12:52pm On Jul 12, 2011
I had one time raise the alarm on this NL long ago as per drainage problem in Lagos, all gutter and water passage are blocked so hard that nothing can flow through them no matter the force but the call was attacked by some Fashola fan then NOW the truth has reveal itself.

This man called Fashola is really trying his best and he has done very much I must confess this, he is a man of courage and HE IS A hard working man but ALL he need  for now is to put aside Megacity whatever and face all this little unoticed or ignore things like clearing the gutters, good drainage, do all the street raod and lighting with good water I bet meagcity will rise up by itself no need of making noise about it this is just the truth.

I sincerely sympatise with Fashola and those who lost their lives its so painful this kind of natural disaster happened and also it will be an eye opener for the Fashola govt. to do something quick now to avert future occurence. And this will sure have a serious negative effect on the state as a whole.
Re: Has The Flood From Sunday's Rain Changed Your Mind About Where To Live In Lagos? by clemcykul(f): 12:55pm On Jul 12, 2011
this is more serious than i had ever thought. quite appalling.

sorry lagosians embarassed sad
Re: Has The Flood From Sunday's Rain Changed Your Mind About Where To Live In Lagos? by sayso: 1:07pm On Jul 12, 2011
This things happen and we hope it doesn't come back heavier than this.I leave outside lagos,South-South to be precise and never witnessed this type of flooding in the last decade.
Re: Has The Flood From Sunday's Rain Changed Your Mind About Where To Live In Lagos? by honeric01(m): 1:20pm On Jul 12, 2011
I was not at home, my younger bro called me and told me he was leaving home because everywhere is flooded, TV, shelve, decoder, the chairs/bed were swimming inside the water, there was no where he could put everything, he got confused and left things he couldn't move to higher ground. sad

Egbeda area (Akowonjo) is prone to flooding, Miccom bustop to like Sobo is like the middle of the sea, any small rain na flooding.

I make bold to say that there are no major drainage passages around Egbeda Akowonjo, what we have are small pathways constructed by greedy LG chairman.
Re: Has The Flood From Sunday's Rain Changed Your Mind About Where To Live In Lagos? by hackney(m): 1:21pm On Jul 12, 2011
You can imagine all the filth in the flood water going into peoples homes.
Also with people wading in it on the streets.

If some houses (shacks) need to be removed to make way for drainage construction, fashola should do so before he
loses the entire island area.

Hope cholera does not break out with all the sh.i.t. in the water.
gbwuahhhhh! ! ! !
Re: Has The Flood From Sunday's Rain Changed Your Mind About Where To Live In Lagos? by larimo(m): 1:38pm On Jul 12, 2011
I really dont think anyone should be so worried about where to live if the government would tackle the problem wink smiley cheesy grin. The Netherlands (Holland) is a country that is below sea-level for God's sake and they never have this problem lipsrsealed lipsrsealed angry. In french, they are called 'Pays-Bas', which means low country grin but they have been successful with water palaver. Id the Lagos state and Federal Govts are serious, they can tackle this little problem wink.

I just fell sorry for innocent Nigerians like us that continue to suffer from bad governance embarassed cry cry
Re: Has The Flood From Sunday's Rain Changed Your Mind About Where To Live In Lagos? by Nobody: 1:53pm On Jul 12, 2011
Got a house for sale in Olowora,if you anyone feels like leaving the Island or Mainland.its just so close to the lagos ibadan expressway.
Re: Has The Flood From Sunday's Rain Changed Your Mind About Where To Live In Lagos? by Koolking(m): 2:17pm On Jul 12, 2011
Seadbari:

I live at ifako gbagada and my experience was horrible! water entered my apartment, the water level in the sitting was like 10 inches high, the level in the compound was knee length while that on the street was above the waist for someone of my height "6 feet", few things went with the rain, TV in the room feel into the water, the decoder in the sitting feel into the water also, sparked n hasn't come since, my clothes and some other stuff i have not noticed, could sleep at home that night, had to leave for an hotel that night around past twelve,

LMAO, lafter heals. You made it sounds very funny. My heart goes out for you and all those who lost their properties/loved ones to the flood. It was a bleak Sunday to all Lagosians, whether affected or not.

I wish the Lagos State govt could expedite action to address the problem. I foresee much more torrential rain than the last. Something needs to be done urgently in order to minimise the disaster.

Nigeria is a great country. God bless us all
Re: Has The Flood From Sunday's Rain Changed Your Mind About Where To Live In Lagos? by honeric01(m): 2:27pm On Jul 12, 2011
And August still never end o sad sad sad sad
Re: Has The Flood From Sunday's Rain Changed Your Mind About Where To Live In Lagos? by omega25red(m): 2:32pm On Jul 12, 2011
Yes the blame for this can go to the govt for not working on the gutters and drainage system in the city but the blame has to be placed on all the builders who were just building houses any and every where with complete disregard for land and sea levels and also the govt didn't put the garbage in the drainage system the population did so lay on that sword
Re: Has The Flood From Sunday's Rain Changed Your Mind About Where To Live In Lagos? by madamL(f): 2:48pm On Jul 12, 2011
call it cowardice but I am thinking hard about whether to stay here for long or find my way back home soonest. I watched that Japan tsunami and na like play that kin thing de take develop.

My area or my street was not flooded, na for internet I de watch all the swimming and rowing but that did not make me feel any safer.
Re: Has The Flood From Sunday's Rain Changed Your Mind About Where To Live In Lagos? by tpia5: 2:51pm On Jul 12, 2011
as far as i know, people are generally advised, when seeking accommodation in lagos, to do so during the rainy season.

that way  you can find out where the flood areas are.
Re: Has The Flood From Sunday's Rain Changed Your Mind About Where To Live In Lagos? by honeric01(m): 3:07pm On Jul 12, 2011
omega25red:

Yes the blame for this can go to the govt for not working on the gutters and drainage system in the city but the blame has to be placed on all the builders who were just building houses any and every where with complete disregard for land and sea levels and also the govt didn't put the garbage in the drainage system the population did so lay on that sword

So is it not the government's job to decide where it citizens should build and not build?
Re: Has The Flood From Sunday's Rain Changed Your Mind About Where To Live In Lagos? by Nobody: 3:10pm On Jul 12, 2011
Where I stay in Maryland was so flooded that people has to leave their houses in d middle of the night. Its amazing how 50 percent of lagosians live in deplorable housing conditions. And to think I actually planned on relocating to lagos!
Re: Has The Flood From Sunday's Rain Changed Your Mind About Where To Live In Lagos? by honeric01(m): 3:15pm On Jul 12, 2011
^^^^^

Maybe you should move back to where you were before? which ever part is better.
Re: Has The Flood From Sunday's Rain Changed Your Mind About Where To Live In Lagos? by Roland17(m): 3:21pm On Jul 12, 2011
My sincere heart felt condolence goes to people who lost loved ones, properties, investments and vital documents, it is well
Re: Has The Flood From Sunday's Rain Changed Your Mind About Where To Live In Lagos? by Bawss1(m): 3:30pm On Jul 12, 2011
All that hype about the posh areas in Lagos melts away in the face of disasters like this. I moved out of Lagos last year and haven't looked back. smiley
Re: Has The Flood From Sunday's Rain Changed Your Mind About Where To Live In Lagos? by Sicherheit(m): 3:42pm On Jul 12, 2011
I did not need the flood to make up my mind not to live in Lagos. I made the decision after my first visit there when I was just 11yrs old. That place is not fit for animals. undecided
Re: Has The Flood From Sunday's Rain Changed Your Mind About Where To Live In Lagos? by abhosts(m): 4:00pm On Jul 12, 2011
I stay Off Ajah and there was no Flooding in our Estate throughout the whole Sunday Rain.
Re: Has The Flood From Sunday's Rain Changed Your Mind About Where To Live In Lagos? by slverspoon: 4:12pm On Jul 12, 2011
2 Bedroom flat to let in mushin. No flooding. N2.5m per annum smiley

2 Bedroom Flats to let in Lekki. N50,000 for 4yrs.

Serious tenants only pls. grin
Re: Has The Flood From Sunday's Rain Changed Your Mind About Where To Live In Lagos? by maclatunji: 4:20pm On Jul 12, 2011
A great tip for anybody searching for a house in Lagos is to do so during the rainy season, if the area does not get flooded then, there is very little chance of you seeing flood in the dry season. Some places look fantastic during the dry season but transform into swamps in the rainy season. Another thing to check for is the drainage system, is there a gutter on the street where the house is situated? Where does the water from the gutter drain into? If it is a canal, find-out how often it gets blocked or floods the adjoining area. You can also look for water marks on the building. For example, an observant person will easily identify where the flood water reached in a house by looking at its walls. Nigerians need to start thinking and staying safe.

The responsibility to protect citizens is primarily that of the government. The federal and Lagos State governments should wake-up grin. If they do not want this flooding to remove the docility from Nigerians once and for all.
Re: Has The Flood From Sunday's Rain Changed Your Mind About Where To Live In Lagos? by maclatunji: 4:23pm On Jul 12, 2011
slverspoon:

2 Bedroom flat to let in mushin. No flooding. N2.5m per annum smiley

2 Bedroom Flats to let in Lekki. N50,000 for 4yrs.

Serious tenants only pls. grin

You want to give real estate speculators heart attack, abi? I expect Ikeja, Magodo, Ogudu to see increased demand for property in line with your thinking. This is why I have never really fancied living on the Island. The entire area is a disaster zone waiting to happen!
Re: Has The Flood From Sunday's Rain Changed Your Mind About Where To Live In Lagos? by pynkspyce: 4:26pm On Jul 12, 2011
i guess the rich also weep. poor city planning is the cause of the problem.
Re: Has The Flood From Sunday's Rain Changed Your Mind About Where To Live In Lagos? by hilli666(m): 4:28pm On Jul 12, 2011
There is worst to come. After every major flood, there is a surge of water borne infectious diseases. As the water reside it would leave behind sporadic pools of stagnant water, which become good breeding grounds for mosquitoes. The government should anticipate a spike in malaria related cases in the subsequent months. All this compounded with the billions worth of infrastructural damages. This definitely qualifies as a state of emergency.
Re: Has The Flood From Sunday's Rain Changed Your Mind About Where To Live In Lagos? by maclatunji: 4:37pm On Jul 12, 2011
hilli666:

There is worst to come. After every major flood, there is a surge of water borne infectious diseases. As the water reside it would leave behind sporadic pools of stagnant water, which become good breeding grounds for mosquitoes. The government should anticipate a spike in malaria related cases in the subsequent months. All this compounded with the billions worth of infrastructural damages. This definitely qualifies as a state of emergency.

Unfortunately, the government and people in Nigeria do not think like that, some people have already told us it is a "NATURAL DISASTER". It looks more like a man-made disaster though, rain falls almost everyday in Calabar during the rainy season and they do not get such chaotic scenes over there!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Make Millions Partnering Investment In Gold: Mining Solid Minerals/ Precious Gem / Kitchens / Another Opportunity To Own Property In Lagos( For Investors)buy 5 AND GET 1FREE

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.