Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,558 members, 7,812,796 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:27 PM

Should I Stay In The Engineering Field Or Move To The Finance Sector - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should I Stay In The Engineering Field Or Move To The Finance Sector (10619 Views)

Should I Go Or Should I Stay ? / Should I Stay With My Job Or Go With This New Job? / ISMI Or HSE? Which Of These Courses Can I Add For Engineering Field (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Stay In The Engineering Field Or Move To The Finance Sector by rhymesnoni(m): 12:12pm On May 09, 2022
oga you can run an ICAN and other professional programmes as well. I though Engineering is hot cake, Why switch?
Re: Should I Stay In The Engineering Field Or Move To The Finance Sector by pocohantas(f): 12:12pm On May 09, 2022
Upworkwriter007:
What's your career goal? Do you have any? Cose you seem to be anywhere belle face. I know successful engineers, and finance professionals. There are also failures in both sector. Just go for where you can put in your best.

grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Should I Stay In The Engineering Field Or Move To The Finance Sector by AfroKnight: 12:13pm On May 09, 2022
Stay in engineering.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Stay In The Engineering Field Or Move To The Finance Sector by shankara7: 12:21pm On May 09, 2022
Concentrate on your Engineering career not because finance sector is not lucrative but because it's best for you. And for the age, you're not late for marriage

1 Like

Re: Should I Stay In The Engineering Field Or Move To The Finance Sector by osazsky(m): 12:22pm On May 09, 2022
Tvoice:
If u can do both , no problem , because the country is not stable at d moment, if you can create a little time out of ur engineering spare Time, den give it a try .
at 30...bros u are wicked..when some of us don they talk of grandchildren for early 40..
Re: Should I Stay In The Engineering Field Or Move To The Finance Sector by Nobody: 12:26pm On May 09, 2022
Most Engineers End up in the financial sector and they are doing pretty well. I can say alot of them Get into that profession.

1 Like

Re: Should I Stay In The Engineering Field Or Move To The Finance Sector by uvie66: 12:33pm On May 09, 2022
You are an electrician already what more do you want, can't you look for house wiring contracts ?
Re: Should I Stay In The Engineering Field Or Move To The Finance Sector by Focusmind: 12:38pm On May 09, 2022
If you intend staying in Nigeria like me, please leave the sector and pursue finance related field.

I graduated with a first class in engineering. Today, I am a qualified Chartered Accountant, having worked in an investment bank for more than 13 years before setting up my own independent consultancy in Finance and Management Consulting. Prospect of growth abound in finance related field than engineering. Most of my class mate engineers are languishing in local workshops and factories with nothing to show. Some moved on to pursue personal businesses. They were few that really broke into the so called oil and gas and other juicy engineering position. The transferable skills that my engineering background gave me is quantitative skills and strong aptitude for numbers.

However, if you intend to move abroad, retain the engineering and pursue it to the fullest. Those with such qualifications always fits into the developed world's environment. Lastly, please leave women and face you hustle. Do not allow any distraction to get into your way.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Stay In The Engineering Field Or Move To The Finance Sector by lokzie: 12:39pm On May 09, 2022
Dear poster,
This may sound cliché, but what you are really missing is Jesus. This has nothing to do with your religion, but I am telling you that if you invite Jesus into your heart, and you begin to seek and do his will, then you will understand why everything that has happened has happened. If all the wise people on earth gather to advise you on this matter, it will not be as good as when Jesus directs you. Even I, who can relate to some parts of your story, I am not fit to advise you on this matter, but I can tell you with 100% assurance that your solution lies in Jesus; now the ball is in your court.
Re: Should I Stay In The Engineering Field Or Move To The Finance Sector by Tvoice: 12:45pm On May 09, 2022
osazsky:
at 30...bros u are wicked..when some of us don they talk of grandchildren for early 40..

Dis is d reason why , I ignore some of u , so is it now a crime to own a pos shop and run other businesses, was it not finance he mentioned, so u know how many shops I operate coupled with my job , na me wey advice u na , na my self I blame , u are talking about 40 , so na bad thing to get multiple income even at 50 ? Do u know how old I am , I nor blame u na , na me wey waste my alphabet dey advice u , na me wicked .
Re: Should I Stay In The Engineering Field Or Move To The Finance Sector by MakeMoves: 12:53pm On May 09, 2022
Engineers do well in finance
Re: Should I Stay In The Engineering Field Or Move To The Finance Sector by silibaba: 12:55pm On May 09, 2022
Mikolky:
Good day guys and I hope God catapults us to our next Level in life

Please, I need advice...

This write up might be long but please bear with me and give your honest, critical analysis and mature opinion(s).

I am a graduate of Elect/Elect Engineering, graduated 2015 from a Nigerian Federal University.
Before graduating I have been doing some Secondary school teachings during holidays and ASUU strike periods.
After graduating, I did some little sales and maketing jobs and teaching as well as I was yet to get my school statement of result due to issues I needed to sort out so I could not go for NYSC
So after I sorted it out, got my result and went for NYSC 2017/2018..I served in an off-grid private electrical power generating company in Ogun state..
After NYSC, a relative who is a top staff(An executive director) of a nigerian tier-2 bank invited me to come work in the bank, so I grabbed the opportunity without hesitation because of the fear of unemployment that has plagued our nation and also considering the fact that I graduated with a 2.2, so I feared that I might experience difficulty getting a job in my discipline
I started with being a contract staff as a sales executive with little pay..he promised that he will help me get confirmed as a full staff in a year but after 1year I only got a little promotion to another job role still a contract staff with very little salary increase so after a few months, I got agitated and wanted to leave but he persuaded me to stay but after some months further I made a very big mistake and did something that questioned my integrity, so I was sacked, the man that promised to help me stopped picking my calls, I became very depressed and downcasted because I knew I had dissappointed myself, my family, my colleagues and even the management since they all saw me as an industrious lad who was doing very well in his role and meeting targets.

I wallowed in depression and self-pity for more than a month before I moved on with my life and got another Job in a Lending company as a Sales Analyst with a higher net salary of about 160k(more than ×2 of what I earn before) but the pressure in the company was too much and stress of going from mainland to Island everyday and this was early last year when 3rd mainland bridge was under repairs, the traffic was crazy.
Due to the pressure and toxicity of the company coupled with the fact that my girlfriend whom I thought was my source of happiness and was doing all I could to please her started seeing another guy, her colleague at the office(fear women).., my self-exteem and confidence dropped drastically so I had to resign from the company after three months just for my mental health...With the advise of friends, I started doing e-hailing(bolt) business but my car(nissan) high maintenance, police, lastma, taskforce etc... even 'agbero' wahala frustrated me and made me reconsider.

Now I am back to my engineering field which I got a job as a Sales Engineer for 75k salary 3months ago . Its a one-man business Electrical Engineering company. although the MD has promised to review my salary since I am doing well at my role..
During the interview, I said I would only accept a minimum of 120k as salary but he said he could only afford to pay me 85k since he was going to train me

Now my serious deliberation is this:

*Should I move back to the finance sector considering the fact that I now have about 4years+ experience or I should continue and grow in the engineering field that I only have a little over a year experience?*

The pay is very little with many expenses and responsibilities ...not in comparison with anybody though but I am 30 already and most of my mates are already married with kids. I am not getting any younger.

Honest advise please

Mods should please help move it to front page...Many thanks

Don't waste a minute about it. I did same and no regret.
Re: Should I Stay In The Engineering Field Or Move To The Finance Sector by HBB1(m): 1:00pm On May 09, 2022
There are stages in life ( depending on you peculiar circumstances or family background).

There is the hustling stage, where you just have to sort your basic needs.

There is the self discovery phase, which you pursue when your basic needs are met-- you can't pursue becoming an Astronaut, when you have not eaten

Then there is the flourishing stage, where you build on the previous stages.

You don't have to start from the bottom if your Parents are rich, or if you discovered your path early.

But if you are 'fortunate' to find your self at the bottom, alaye hustle!

Do anything and keep grinding, then gradually move towards your dreams and preferences.

Hustle!
Do anything, as long as it is not criminal.
What is the worst that can happen to you ?

Hustle!

Forget marriage for now...
Or do you want to transfer poverty down to your kids?
When a man does not have a reasonable income, he feels the same way a woman does when she can't have kids.

A man is a provider-- it is in our DNA.

Hustle!

2 Likes

Re: Should I Stay In The Engineering Field Or Move To The Finance Sector by brighly: 1:07pm On May 09, 2022
I see you studied electrical engineering. Go learn software development in a Bootcamp or anywhere. This will expose you to new opportunities within and outside Nigeria. You can try below Bootcamp, it's free but they take 15% of your salary after you an international job till your $15K tuition is complete. You can try other Bootcamp as well.

https://www.microverse.org/

Mikolky:

Please, I need advice...

This write up might be long but please bear with me and give your honest, critical analysis and mature opinion(s).

I am a graduate of Elect/Elect Engineering, graduated 2015 from a Nigerian Federal University.
Before graduating I have been doing some Secondary school teachings during holidays and ASUU strike periods.
After graduating, I did some little sales and maketing jobs and teaching as well as I was yet to get my school statement of result due to issues I needed to sort out so I could not go for NYSC
So after I sorted it out, got my result and went for NYSC 2017/2018..I served in an off-grid private electrical power generating company in Ogun state..
After NYSC, a relative who is a top staff(An executive director) of a nigerian tier-2 bank invited me to come work in the bank, so I grabbed the opportunity without hesitation because of the fear of unemployment that has plagued our nation and also considering the fact that I graduated with a 2.2, so I feared that I might experience difficulty getting a job in my discipline
I started with being a contract staff as a sales executive with little pay..he promised that he will help me get confirmed as a full staff in a year but after 1year I only got a little promotion to another job role still a contract staff with very little salary increase so after a few months, I got agitated and wanted to leave but he persuaded me to stay but after some months further I made a very big mistake and did something that questioned my integrity, so I was sacked, the man that promised to help me stopped picking my calls, I became very depressed and downcasted because I knew I had dissappointed myself, my family, my colleagues and even the management since they all saw me as an industrious lad who was doing very well in his role and meeting targets.

I wallowed in depression and self-pity for more than a month before I moved on with my life and got another Job in a Lending company as a Sales Analyst with a higher net salary of about 160k(more than ×2 of what I earn before) but the pressure in the company was too much and stress of going from mainland to Island everyday and this was early last year when 3rd mainland bridge was under repairs, the traffic was crazy.
Due to the pressure and toxicity of the company coupled with the fact that my girlfriend whom I thought was my source of happiness and was doing all I could to please her started seeing another guy, her colleague at the office(fear women).., my self-exteem and confidence dropped drastically so I had to resign from the company after three months just for my mental health...With the advise of friends, I started doing e-hailing(bolt) business but my car(nissan) high maintenance, police, lastma, taskforce etc... even 'agbero' wahala frustrated me and made me reconsider.

Now I am back to my engineering field which I got a job as a Sales Engineer for 75k salary 3months ago . Its a one-man business Electrical Engineering company. although the MD has promised to review my salary since I am doing well at my role..
During the interview, I said I would only accept a minimum of 120k as salary but he said he could only afford to pay me 85k since he was going to train me

*Should I move back to the finance sector considering the fact that I now have about 4years+ experience or I should continue and grow in the engineering field that I only have a little over a year experience?*

The pay is very little with many expenses and responsibilities ...not in comparison with anybody though but I am 30 already and most of my mates are already married with kids. I am not getting any younger.

Honest advise please

Re: Should I Stay In The Engineering Field Or Move To The Finance Sector by Microwhy: 1:13pm On May 09, 2022
Definitly Single
Re: Should I Stay In The Engineering Field Or Move To The Finance Sector by Microwhy: 1:20pm On May 09, 2022
Mikolky:

Re: Should I Stay In The Engineering Field Or Move To The Finance Sector by jonex2000: 2:41pm On May 09, 2022
So that you will steal or be depressed again? Abeg stick to your engineering before this time them put you for prison
Re: Should I Stay In The Engineering Field Or Move To The Finance Sector by Mikolky: 3:09pm On May 09, 2022
jonex2000:
So that you will steal or be depressed again? Abeg stick to your engineering before this time them put you for prison

Lol..Thanks for the advice ...
Re: Should I Stay In The Engineering Field Or Move To The Finance Sector by Mikolky: 3:13pm On May 09, 2022
brighly:
I see you studied electrical engineering. Go learn software development in a Bootcamp or anywhere. This will expose you to new opportunities within and outside Nigeria. You can try below Bootcamp, it's free but they take 15% of your salary after you an international job till your $15K tuition is complete. You can try other Bootcamp as well.

https://www.microverse.org/

Thanks, I will look at it...
Re: Should I Stay In The Engineering Field Or Move To The Finance Sector by Mikolky: 3:15pm On May 09, 2022
HBB1:
There are stages in life ( depending on you peculiar circumstances or family background).

There is the hustling stage, where you just have to sort your basic needs.

There is the self discovery phase, which you pursue when your basic needs are met-- you can't pursue becoming an Astronaut, when you have not eaten

Then there is the flourishing stage, where you build on the previous stages.

You don't have to start from the bottom if your Parents are rich, or if you discovered your path early.

But if you are 'fortunate' to find your self at the bottom, alaye hustle!

Do anything and keep grinding, then gradually move towards your dreams and preferences.

Hustle!
Do anything, as long as it is not criminal.
What is the worst that can happen to you ?

Hustle!

Forget marriage for now...
Or do you want to transfer poverty down to your kids?
When a man does not have a reasonable income, he feels the same way a woman does when she can't have kids.

A man is a provider-- it is in our DNA.

Hustle!

Thanks
Re: Should I Stay In The Engineering Field Or Move To The Finance Sector by Mikolky: 3:31pm On May 09, 2022
rhymesnoni:
oga you can run an ICAN and other professional programmes as well. I though Engineering is hot cake, Why switch?

Yeah... I wanted to do ICAN or ACCA about 3yrs ago even MBA is also in the plan because its good for any discipline especially if you intend to own your own establishment, they are good to aquire those knowledge and skills no matter the discipline(I stand to be corrected though) but circumstances and maybe indiscipline stalled the plan but I will still do either of them

I also intend to do some other courses that will increase my skills and make me sharper... "but soup wey sweet, na money kill am".. but I will keep grinding sha...

1 Like

Re: Should I Stay In The Engineering Field Or Move To The Finance Sector by Mikolky: 3:37pm On May 09, 2022
ImoleNaija:
May God lead you aright.

Amen
Re: Should I Stay In The Engineering Field Or Move To The Finance Sector by sulaak(m): 3:43pm On May 09, 2022
Your lack of integrity in the finance sector is an indication that you are more suited to work outside the finance sector. I just hope you have learnt your lesson and buckle down to be a good engineer.

I made a very big mistake and did something that questioned my integrity, so I was sacked, the man that promised to help me stopped picking my calls
Re: Should I Stay In The Engineering Field Or Move To The Finance Sector by movement1(m): 3:45pm On May 09, 2022
Oga this story to long. I no even read am finish
Re: Should I Stay In The Engineering Field Or Move To The Finance Sector by rhymesnoni(m): 3:53pm On May 09, 2022
Mikolky:

Yeah... I wanted to do ICAN or ACCA about 3yrs ago even MBA is also in the plan because its good for any discipline especially if you intend to own your own establishment, they are good to aquire those knowledge and skills no matter the discipline(I stand to be corrected though) but circumstances and maybe indiscipline stalled the plan but I will still do either of them

I also intend to do some other courses that will increase my skills and make me sharper... "but soup wey sweet, na money kill am".. but I will keep grinding sha...

Run either of ICAN or ANAN and you are ok.
Re: Should I Stay In The Engineering Field Or Move To The Finance Sector by Mikolky: 3:56pm On May 09, 2022
Focusmind:
If However, if you intend to move abroad, retain the engineering and pursue it to the fullest. Those with such qualifications always fits into the developed world's environment. Lastly, please leave women and face you hustle. Do not allow any distraction to get into your way.

I really appreciate this advice .... I am open to aquiring more skills ....and women is now the least of my attention... them no dey tell person...

I will like to engage you further to learn a thing or two,... do you mind dropping your digits?

Thanks
Re: Should I Stay In The Engineering Field Or Move To The Finance Sector by Mikolky: 3:59pm On May 09, 2022
sulaak:

Your lack of integrity in the finance sector is an indication that you are more suited to work outside the finance sector. I just hope you have learnt your lesson and buckle down to be a good engineer.

Yeah....I gave that a thought too...
Thanks bro
Re: Should I Stay In The Engineering Field Or Move To The Finance Sector by jiz: 4:55pm On May 09, 2022
You can consider engineering management

1 Like

Re: Should I Stay In The Engineering Field Or Move To The Finance Sector by Doyeson(m): 5:49pm On May 09, 2022
Believe in yourself

1 Like

Re: Should I Stay In The Engineering Field Or Move To The Finance Sector by Senoye: 7:07pm On May 09, 2022
9gerian:
Any job or sector that allows you to hone your skills in sales and marketing is surely a good one whether in an engineering company or the banking industry.

Be the best at selling. Master it and you are on to become a hot cake any day, plus it makes it easy for you to start your own business if you choose.

Sales and marketing is the lifeblood of every business!

+1. Completely agree
Re: Should I Stay In The Engineering Field Or Move To The Finance Sector by IRALIFE(f): 7:38pm On May 09, 2022
Mikolky:

Please, I need advice...

Honest advise please

You will get more opportunities with Engineering. Reach me by PM to share some opportunities with you.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Do You Enjoy Your Work? / What Are The Biggest Career Mistakes To Avoid? / Student Raps Resume At Career Fair (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.