Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,732 members, 7,817,014 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:57 PM

Should I Stay In The Engineering Field Or Move To The Finance Sector - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should I Stay In The Engineering Field Or Move To The Finance Sector (10627 Views)

Should I Go Or Should I Stay ? / Should I Stay With My Job Or Go With This New Job? / ISMI Or HSE? Which Of These Courses Can I Add For Engineering Field (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Stay In The Engineering Field Or Move To The Finance Sector by laivwire(m): 7:49pm On May 09, 2022
Mikolky:

Please, I need advice...

*Should I move back to the finance sector considering the fact that I now have about 4years+ experience or I should continue and grow in the engineering field that I only have a little over a year experience?*

A mistake majority of young graduates do is to follow a fake passion dictated by their degree or first job they pick up post nysc. (Yes, all those jobs you did pre-nysc are irrelevant in my books.) when in actual fact they are to use that job role to discover themselves; their strengths, weaknesses and available opportunities they can key into.

Your job description is more important than the job title as that is what dictates the skills you learn, where you suck and where you excel. These are the transferrable skills you can hone to develop in any industry you find yourself.

We all hit roadblocks in life like Job terminations and all that but these periods are necessary as they give a hard reset that makes you reassess your career tracjectory and convince yourself of how tough your fighting spirit is. It's pretty normal and necessary.

Anyone can make money to survive but it's more important we find peace and success in whatever we find doing with our hands and brains. You've worked in different roles and industries and you will know which tasks you truly enjoyed and the ones you don't want to do again. Be true to yourself in making that choice.

Lastly, work on developing yourself in your chosen path to the best wherever you are. It doesn't matter if it's a one man business or a multinational, the salary will never meet your demands except you get so good at what you do that you can make your demands and they'll be heeded asap.

Goodluck

2 Likes

Re: Should I Stay In The Engineering Field Or Move To The Finance Sector by Mikolky: 9:17pm On May 09, 2022
Wow
Re: Should I Stay In The Engineering Field Or Move To The Finance Sector by Mikolky: 9:17pm On May 09, 2022
laivwire:

A mistake majority of young graduates do is to follow a fake passion dictated by their degree or first job they pick up post nysc. (Yes, all those jobs you did pre-nysc are irrelevant in my books.) when in actual fact they are to use that job role to discover themselves; their strengths, weaknesses and available opportunities they can key into.

Your job description is more important than the job title as that is what dictates the skills you learn, where you suck and where you excel. These are the transferrable skills you can hone to develop in any industry you find yourself.

We all hit roadblocks in life like Job terminations and all that but these periods are necessary as they give a hard reset that makes you reassess your career tracjectory and convince yourself of how tough your fighting spirit is. It's pretty normal and necessary.

Anyone can make money to survive but it's more important we find peace and success in whatever we find doing with our hands and brains. You've worked in different roles and industries and you will know which tasks you truly enjoyed and the ones you don't want to do again. Be true to yourself in making that choice.

Lastly, work on developing yourself in your chosen path to the best wherever you are. It doesn't matter if it's a one man business or a multinational, the salary will never meet your demands except you get so good at what you do that you can make your demands and they'll be heeded asap.

Goodluck

Wow...

Thanks a bunch!
Re: Should I Stay In The Engineering Field Or Move To The Finance Sector by timmykaydude: 9:49pm On May 09, 2022
Space booked
Re: Should I Stay In The Engineering Field Or Move To The Finance Sector by JOpress3: 10:13pm On May 09, 2022
Op, Your SALES SKILLS is Gold if and only if you leverage the MEGA OPPORTUNITIES that abound in the online space.

The internet is a through leveller in this generation for those who takes advantage of it.

The Real money/balance in life you're seeking is in the internet my friend..

With good internet Salesmanship skills you deal with a global Audience and not localized Lagos, or Abuja or Nigeria. You have access to the world market. (Global village we are indeed)

Speaking from experience, i worked as Sales rep for more than 5 years in Financial sector for years and quit for online pursuit for happiness.

And today, the same sales skills with some digital training has proven one thing to me

the real money is in the digital sector. Earning far, far above your Boss.

A reason why "Jeff Bezos, Elon musk, Mark Zuckerberg, google owner, Bill gates are the reachest in the world.

They are great sales men, they leveraged of the internet opportunities and sell their products to the world effortlessly

Your Sales skills is GOLD, Leverage the internet knowledge and you will thank me letter.

My 2cent
Re: Should I Stay In The Engineering Field Or Move To The Finance Sector by digitite: 10:27pm On May 09, 2022
Join Finance , a lot of opportunities abound in the Digital Currency sector and trading . Engineering has been neutralized, even an illiterate can do it.
Re: Should I Stay In The Engineering Field Or Move To The Finance Sector by EngrCHM(m): 11:31pm On May 09, 2022
Arysexy:
Stay in the discipline, talking from experience. There are opportunities for an electrical engineer in virtually every sector. Forget about how much you are earning now, just gather experience and see yourself move up the ladder in no distance time.

I equally wasted my early years in banking sector, but thank God I retraced my steps. Now working in a full engineering company with good pay and excess skills acquired

Will love to work with your company. Please can you give me the name, so I can apply
Re: Should I Stay In The Engineering Field Or Move To The Finance Sector by EngrCHM(m): 11:40pm On May 09, 2022
IRALIFE:

You will get more opportunities with Engineering. Reach me by PM to share some opportunities with you.

Am interested
Re: Should I Stay In The Engineering Field Or Move To The Finance Sector by Mikolky: 9:17pm On May 10, 2022
JOpress3:
Op, Your SALES SKILLS is Gold if and only if you leverage the MEGA OPPORTUNITIES that abound in the online space.

The internet is a through leveller in this generation for those who takes advantage of it.

The Real money/balance in life you're seeking is in the internet my friend..

With good internet Salesmanship skills you deal with a global Audience and not localized Lagos, or Abuja or Nigeria. You have access to the world market. (Global village we are indeed)

Speaking from experience, i worked as Sales rep for more than 5 years in Financial sector for years and quit for online pursuit for happiness.

And today, the same sales skills with some digital training has proven one thing to me

the real money is in the digital sector. Earning far, far above your Boss.

A reason why "Jeff Bezos, Elon musk, Mark Zuckerberg, google owner, Bill gates are the reachest in the world.

They are great sales men, they leveraged of the internet opportunities and sell their products to the world effortlessly

Your Sales skills is GOLD, Leverage the internet knowledge and you will thank me letter.

My 2cent

Thanks
Re: Should I Stay In The Engineering Field Or Move To The Finance Sector by BlackBarbie007(m): 9:04am On May 11, 2022
Mikolky:
Good day guys and I hope God catapults us to our next Level in life

Please, I need advice...

This write up might be long but please bear with me and give your honest, critical analysis and mature opinion(s).

I am a graduate of Elect/Elect Engineering, graduated 2015 from a Nigerian Federal University.
Before graduating I have been doing some Secondary school teachings during holidays and ASUU strike periods.
After graduating, I did some little sales and maketing jobs and teaching as well as I was yet to get my school statement of result due to issues I needed to sort out so I could not go for NYSC
So after I sorted it out, got my result and went for NYSC 2017/2018..I served in an off-grid private electrical power generating company in Ogun state..
After NYSC, a relative who is a top staff(An executive director) of a nigerian tier-2 bank invited me to come work in the bank, so I grabbed the opportunity without hesitation because of the fear of unemployment that has plagued our nation and also considering the fact that I graduated with a 2.2, so I feared that I might experience difficulty getting a job in my discipline
I started with being a contract staff as a sales executive with little pay..he promised that he will help me get confirmed as a full staff in a year but after 1year I only got a little promotion to another job role still a contract staff with very little salary increase so after a few months, I got agitated and wanted to leave but he persuaded me to stay but after some months further I made a very big mistake and did something that questioned my integrity, so I was sacked, the man that promised to help me stopped picking my calls, I became very depressed and downcasted because I knew I had dissappointed myself, my family, my colleagues and even the management since they all saw me as an industrious lad who was doing very well in his role and meeting targets.

I wallowed in depression and self-pity for more than a month before I moved on with my life and got another Job in a Lending company as a Sales Analyst with a higher net salary of about 160k(more than ×2 of what I earn before) but the pressure in the company was too much and stress of going from mainland to Island everyday and this was early last year when 3rd mainland bridge was under repairs, the traffic was crazy.
Due to the pressure and toxicity of the company coupled with the fact that my girlfriend whom I thought was my source of happiness and was doing all I could to please her started seeing another guy, her colleague at the office(fear women).., my self-exteem and confidence dropped drastically so I had to resign from the company after three months just for my mental health...With the advise of friends, I started doing e-hailing(bolt) business but my car(nissan) high maintenance, police, lastma, taskforce etc... even 'agbero' wahala frustrated me and made me reconsider.

Now I am back to my engineering field which I got a job as a Sales Engineer for 75k salary 3months ago . Its a one-man business Electrical Engineering company. although the MD has promised to review my salary since I am doing well at my role..
During the interview, I said I would only accept a minimum of 120k as salary but he said he could only afford to pay me 85k since he was going to train me

Now my serious deliberation is this:

*Should I move back to the finance sector considering the fact that I now have about 4years+ experience or I should continue and grow in the engineering field that I only have a little over a year experience?*

The pay is very little with many expenses and responsibilities ...not in comparison with anybody though but I am 30 already and most of my mates are already married with kids. I am not getting any younger.

Honest advise please

Mods should please help move it to front page...Many thanks
Bro I’m gonna finish nysc in June. I studied elctrical/electronic engineering but with a 3rd class� I don’t have money to go abroad to further so I can compliment my first degree result. Getting a Job has been difficult for me cos most companies want 2.2 lowest. I have experience in customer service and I also have experience in fiber engineering. Should you decide to go back to finance, please refer me to your boss if he can train me too for the sales engineer role, I don’t mind the 85k salary, let me just get the experience and skills that matters. I am 27years and the first child.

1 Like

Re: Should I Stay In The Engineering Field Or Move To The Finance Sector by IRALIFE(f): 11:16pm On May 11, 2022
Re: Should I Stay In The Engineering Field Or Move To The Finance Sector by Cassahav: 11:39pm On May 11, 2022
Whatever you choose i suggest you have your own side hustle and this what you need to get going as you learn https://www.nairaland.com/7122259/career-eye-opener-2022

1 Like

Re: Should I Stay In The Engineering Field Or Move To The Finance Sector by Lasisieniola77(m): 10:22am On May 13, 2022
Thank you. I am currently in a dilemma of whether to change my ppa or to continue because the first place i got i don't think i can grow there while the second place has some transferable skills so i don't know
laivwire:

Goodluck

Re: Should I Stay In The Engineering Field Or Move To The Finance Sector by Mikolky: 6:24pm On May 15, 2022
Cassahav:
Whatever you choose i suggest you have your own side hustle and this what you need to get going as you learn https://www.nairaland.com/7122259/career-eye-opener-2022

No lies detected

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I've Passed Cisa Exam, Which Exam Shld Be Next / Nurses Forum / Computer Forensics In Nigeria - Is It Recognized?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.