Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,804 members, 7,820,815 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:19 PM

How To Cook Banga Soup/stew Like A Pro - Food (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / How To Cook Banga Soup/stew Like A Pro (25693 Views)

See The Banga Soup N Starch I Prepared This Afternoon. / 20 Of The World's Best, Mouthwatering Soups. Banga Soup Is No 1 (Photos) / CNN Travel Lists Banga Soup, Groundnut Soup Among 20 Of The World's Best Soups (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Cook Banga Soup/stew Like A Pro by Tapout(m): 7:32am On May 14, 2022
pocohantas:

Same thing you told me in 2020.

grin cheesy grin

I can't remember this discussion, But I know I procrastinate a lot when it comes to cooking. So I'm not surprised someone is calling me out grin grin

But I'm serious this time. I didn't know i could get the extract from stores, I made that discovery recently. I'll post on the "cook in your kitchen" thread and tag you.

Lol...Good Morning.
Re: How To Cook Banga Soup/stew Like A Pro by pocohantas(f): 7:59am On May 14, 2022
cooooooks:
Aunty Poco, can you cook groundnut soup? Or do you know anyone here that can?

I have some ground groundnut (for soup) and I don't know how to do it.

Everyone I asked said if it's not done properly, it will taste very bad.
Help a brother out, Biko.
wink

Good morning,

You can search Google for that. I can, but I have never created a recipe for it because it takes me time to cook things I do not eat. cheesy

Tapout:

grin cheesy grin

I can't remember this discussion, But I know I procrastinate a lot when it comes to cooking. So I'm not surprised someone is calling me out grin grin

But I'm serious this time. I didn't know i could get the extract from stores, I made that discovery recently. I'll post on the "cook in your kitchen" thread and tag you.

Lol...Good Morning.

The conversation did happen, I can assure you that. You said you don’t even have a mortar and asked me if you could crush with your hands. grin

I would be waiting for that day, Tapôut.

Yes you can get it from stores. I know someone that sells it too. https://instagram.com/victoriaafoods?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

1 Like

Re: How To Cook Banga Soup/stew Like A Pro by princewarri1985: 8:10am On May 14, 2022
Favour315:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53lrsEPXxd0

Hey guys here is a step by step guide on how to make the Almighty Nigerian Banga soup ( ofe akwu)

INGREDIENTS
Fresh palm fruits
Meat,
Crayfish
Cooking cubes
Onions
Dry fish
Scent leaves
Ugu leaves
Ginger
Okpeye (fermented castor seed)
Ehuru ( calabash nutmeg)
Pepper
Salt
I love this banga soup stew so much, i remember when i went to visit a friend and he invited his girlfriend over and she prepared this banga stew soup for us with goat meat, i ate and ate and even took some with me on my way home and jurt boiled 5 cup of white rice and i continued eating and i never got tired of eating
Re: How To Cook Banga Soup/stew Like A Pro by SPAMBOX7: 8:13am On May 14, 2022
Favour315:

Hey guys here is a step by step guide on how to make the Almighty Nigerian Banga soup ( ofe akwu)

INGREDIENTS
Fresh palm fruits
Meat,
Crayfish
Cooking cubes
Onions
Dry fish
Scent leaves
Ugu leaves
Ginger
Ehuru ( calabash nutmeg)
Pepper
Salt
Your ingredients always insufficient but I think you make it so cos it's just for the gram. If not you no Sabi anything
Re: How To Cook Banga Soup/stew Like A Pro by homegirl1: 8:14am On May 14, 2022
Favour315:

INGREDIENTS
Fresh palm fruits
Meat,
Crayfish
Cooking cubes
Onions
Dry fish
Scent leaves
Ugu leaves
Ginger
Ehuru ( calabash nutmeg)
Pepper
Salt

Please who puts ginger or ehuru in ofe akwu/banga stew? That's very very wrong and a serious sign of a bad cook. Please and please the only star of the stew is scent leaf. Ofe akwu stew is native to Ndi Anambra and we don't use ginger or ehuru to make it yet we make the best.
Re: How To Cook Banga Soup/stew Like A Pro by Yxxx: 9:23am On May 14, 2022
Favour315:

INGREDIENTS
Fresh palm fruits
Meat,
Crayfishhow
Cooking cubes
Onions
Dry fish
Scent leaves
Ugu leaves
Ginger
Ehuru ( calabash nutmeg)
Pepper
Salt
I only know one Almighty and that is God.
Re: How To Cook Banga Soup/stew Like A Pro by Tapout(m): 9:33am On May 14, 2022
pocohantas:

The conversation did happen, I can assure you that. You said you don’t even have a mortar and asked me if you could crush with your hands. grin

I would be waiting for that day, Tapôut.

Yes you can get it from stores. I know someone that sells it too. https://instagram.com/victoriaafoods?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Omo.. I remember now grin you get retentive memory no be small...lol

Thanks for the link, I just made an order for the two liters, it should last a while for me.

1 Like

Re: How To Cook Banga Soup/stew Like A Pro by pocohantas(f): 11:00am On May 14, 2022
Tapout:

Omo.. I remember now grin you get retentive memory no be small...lol

Thanks for the link, I just made an order for the two liters, it should last a while for me.

Sure I do. I no dey forget wetin concern person wey I like. Except I no like you. grin

You are welcome. Do keep me posted.
Re: How To Cook Banga Soup/stew Like A Pro by ljoh: 11:13am On May 14, 2022
Nice

1 Like

Re: How To Cook Banga Soup/stew Like A Pro by GloriousGbola: 12:42pm On May 14, 2022
pocohantas:

Sure I do. I no dey forget wetin concern person wey I like. Except I no like you. grin

You remember EVERYTHING jare.

This is why you can immediately id any moniker you have bantered with in the past.

Na your sucre papito go hear am last last

1 Like

Re: How To Cook Banga Soup/stew Like A Pro by Tapout(m): 12:53pm On May 14, 2022
pocohantas:

Lol....Thanks kiss

Sure, I will.
Re: How To Cook Banga Soup/stew Like A Pro by Favour315(f): 12:58pm On May 14, 2022
omorttee4u:
Is actually good to prepare your food by self, the one selling out there is not as oily as this....make it less attractive to non native consumer .....
Sure
Re: How To Cook Banga Soup/stew Like A Pro by Gee64: 1:00pm On May 14, 2022
If you ask me, I wouldn't understand what connects a supposedly dead country with banga soup.
Perhaps the aroma is making you reflect on the state of the economy.
Don't worry, we go survive.
And we go eat Banga soup together. cool
Itzteewhy:
NIGERIA IS DYING

NIGERIA IS HEADING TO A COLLOSAL ABYSS

Re: How To Cook Banga Soup/stew Like A Pro by Gee64: 1:04pm On May 14, 2022
Many Nigerians can only taste this soup in abstraction like many are already doing right now on Nairaland.
Oh boy, country hard...Nor be lie. tongue
Re: How To Cook Banga Soup/stew Like A Pro by Gee64: 1:08pm On May 14, 2022
Banga soup sweet sha but the health implications may put one off...I mean it's cholesterol level. cry

1 Like

Re: How To Cook Banga Soup/stew Like A Pro by Favour315(f): 1:27pm On May 14, 2022
DaveHarry:
You be urhobo wey you dey teach people how to cook Banga soup/stew?
Na urhobos sabi prepare am well, no be dis ur trash.
I reserve my comment
Re: How To Cook Banga Soup/stew Like A Pro by Favour315(f): 1:28pm On May 14, 2022
AngelicBeing:
Nice wink
Thanks dear

1 Like

Re: How To Cook Banga Soup/stew Like A Pro by TheWolfen(m): 1:32pm On May 14, 2022
Favour315:
This will be the best match for Sunday rice

Chai cheesy
No be lie.
U too like better tin cheesy
Re: How To Cook Banga Soup/stew Like A Pro by TheWolfen(m): 1:33pm On May 14, 2022
WibusJaga:
Ugu leaves is part of the ingredients?
Not necessary.

1 Like

Re: How To Cook Banga Soup/stew Like A Pro by Favour315(f): 1:41pm On May 14, 2022
cooooooks:
Biko, assist your abroadian brothers with replacements:

- Could I use palm oil or canned crushed palm fruit (from Ghana), to replace the fresh palm fruit?

- Could I use Spinach instead of Ugwu leaf (I have some already cut and frozen spinach)?

- What do I use instead of Okpeye? Soy sauce? Ignore this ingredient? I said soy sauce because it is gotten from fermented soya beans.

I don't even know what ehuru is. I do have some nutmeg spice. Could I use that instead?

Finally, I have some groundnut that was ground for use in making groundnut soup. Any idea on a recipe? My sister's and mom have never cooked this before. Could I add it here?

Looks scrumptious! By

You can't use palm oil but you can use crushed palm fruits or palm fruits concentrate which can be found in supermarkets/ grocery stores

Ugu is actually optional in this soup, so it can be done without if you can't find it

As for the okpeye, you can equally cook your Banga stew without it just that it's unique flavor will be missing. I don't know how fermented soybean taste loo like so can't say if it should serve as replacement for okpeye

Ehuru is called calabash nutmeg in English and it's very necessary when cooking Banga stew, please don't put ordinary nutmeg in Banga stew, if you have your scent leaves, then cook it like that, even though it may not taste exactly the way it should but believe me you will love the outcome provided the other ingredients apart from okpeye and ehuru are available.please do not add groundnut to your Banga stew, hope this helps

1 Like

Re: How To Cook Banga Soup/stew Like A Pro by TheWolfen(m): 1:41pm On May 14, 2022
DaveHarry:
You be urhobo wey you dey teach people how to cook Banga soup/stew?
Na urhobos sabi prepare am well, no be dis ur trash.
See this one. My granny no be urhobo but if she prepare banga soup for u enhh u will lick your fingers.
Away with such mentality.
People now learn how to cook and other countries cuisines. All you need is the right recipes
Re: How To Cook Banga Soup/stew Like A Pro by Favour315(f): 1:43pm On May 14, 2022
WarriAproko:
This one nah igbo people style. Urhobo banga soup still d best
Teach us the Urhobo style. Let's learn different recipes
Re: How To Cook Banga Soup/stew Like A Pro by Favour315(f): 1:44pm On May 14, 2022
aswani:
I only just knew about this soup not long ago. What an incredibly versatile soup it is.

And that was a lovely video too, thank you.
You are welcome dear
Re: How To Cook Banga Soup/stew Like A Pro by Favour315(f): 1:45pm On May 14, 2022
Ekg911:
Favour, Favour, Favour, :ohow many times did I call u? U better no finish that food ooh tongue tongue
Lols
It has finished oo

1 Like

Re: How To Cook Banga Soup/stew Like A Pro by Favour315(f): 1:47pm On May 14, 2022
Tapout:

grin cheesy grin

Lol...Good Morning.
Tag me too, would love to see it when you cook
And yeah you can get Banga concentrate from grocery stores
Re: How To Cook Banga Soup/stew Like A Pro by Favour315(f): 1:48pm On May 14, 2022
princewarri1985:
I love this banga soup stew so much, i remember when i went to visit a friend and he invited his girlfriend over and she prepared this banga stew soup for us with goat meat, i ate and ate and even took some with me on my way home and jurt boiled 5 cup of white rice and i continued eating and i never got tired of eating
Lols
Re: How To Cook Banga Soup/stew Like A Pro by Favour315(f): 1:50pm On May 14, 2022
SPAMBOX7:
Your ingredients always insufficient but I think you make it so cos it's just for the gram. If not you no Sabi anything
Hmm
Please make it sufficient na
Re: How To Cook Banga Soup/stew Like A Pro by Favour315(f): 1:58pm On May 14, 2022
homegirl1:

Please who puts ginger or ehuru in ofe akwu/banga stew? That's very very wrong and a serious sign of a bad cook. Please and please the only star of the stew is scent leaf. Ofe akwu stew is native to Ndi Anambra and we don't use ginger or ehuru to make it yet we make the best.
I pity people like you who are not open to explore new things and who easily condemn people's opinions or recipes especially when you haven't tried it. I advise you when you see new things, embrace it, try it out before you judge.
There is NO single recipe for a particular meal, there has to be varieties. Variety is the spice of life.
When you try this recipe with ginger and ehuru, then come back and talk, I will listen
Re: How To Cook Banga Soup/stew Like A Pro by Favour315(f): 2:02pm On May 14, 2022
Gee64:
Banga soup sweet sha but the health implications may put one off...I mean it's cholesterol level. cry
You are right. It should be a once in a while something
Re: How To Cook Banga Soup/stew Like A Pro by DaveHarry(m): 2:28pm On May 14, 2022
TheWolfen:

See this one. My granny no be urhobo but if she prepare banga soup for u enhh u will lick your fingers.
Away with such mentality.
People now learn how to cook and other countries cuisines. All you need is the right recipes
I know bros, but still you can't beat the urhobos when it comes to Banga, ohwo, and pepper soup.
Re: How To Cook Banga Soup/stew Like A Pro by DaveHarry(m): 2:31pm On May 14, 2022
Favour315:

I reserve my comment
Wharever. That was trash. Doesn't look and won't taste original. You missed a particular recipe.
Re: How To Cook Banga Soup/stew Like A Pro by TheWolfen(m): 2:47pm On May 14, 2022
DaveHarry:

I know bros, but still you can't beat the urhobos when it comes to Banga, ohwo, and pepper soup.

Well I understand your sentiment.
My granny also prepares awo soup which we usually eats with cooked yam or starch too...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How To Make Unripe Plantain And Sweet Potato Pottage(pic) / Easy Steps To Make A Refreshing Soya Milk / Lagos Chinese restaurant accused of racism against Nigerians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.