Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,815 members, 7,810,129 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:20 PM

How To Cook Banga Soup/stew Like A Pro - Food (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / How To Cook Banga Soup/stew Like A Pro (25581 Views)

See The Banga Soup N Starch I Prepared This Afternoon. / 20 Of The World's Best, Mouthwatering Soups. Banga Soup Is No 1 (Photos) / CNN Travel Lists Banga Soup, Groundnut Soup Among 20 Of The World's Best Soups (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Cook Banga Soup/stew Like A Pro by Favour315(f): 3:07pm On May 14, 2022
DaveHarry:

Wharever. That was trash. Doesn't look and won't taste original. You missed a particular recipe.
In other words, if it's not your own recipe, it's trash. Smiles
You need to grow up!

Unless you are referring to Delta banga soup for swallow, which has different recipe
Re: How To Cook Banga Soup/stew Like A Pro by justicechichex: 3:57pm On May 14, 2022
Ofe akwu na white rice together with goat meat or soft kpomo... Chai u don kill me be that na. Wtf man...

Thank GOD for good and delicious food!!

1 Like

Re: How To Cook Banga Soup/stew Like A Pro by cooooooks(m): 4:15pm On May 14, 2022
Thanks very much!

I'll check if African stores have Okpeye and calabash nutmeg. I think they have scent leaves too.

Favour315:

You can't use palm oil but you can use crushed palm fruits or palm fruits concentrate which can be found in supermarkets/ grocery stores

Ugu is actually optional in this soup, so it can be done without if you can't find it

As for the okpeye, you can equally cook your Banga stew without it just that it's unique flavor will be missing. I don't know how fermented soybean taste loo like so can't say if it should serve as replacement for okpeye

Ehuru is called calabash nutmeg in English and it's very necessary when cooking Banga stew, please don't put ordinary nutmeg in Banga stew, if you have your scent leaves, then cook it like that, even though it may not taste exactly the way it should but believe me you will love the outcome provided the other ingredients apart from okpeye and ehuru are available.please do not add groundnut to your Banga stew, hope this helps
Re: How To Cook Banga Soup/stew Like A Pro by pocohantas(f): 5:08pm On May 14, 2022
homegirl1:

Please who puts ginger or ehuru in ofe akwu/banga stew? That's very very wrong and a serious sign of a bad cook. Please and please the only star of the stew is scent leaf. Ofe akwu stew is native to Ndi Anambra and we don't use ginger or ehuru to make it yet we make the best.

Sincerely I was surprised. Even more surprised that she said scent leaf won’t give the needed taste without ugu. When nchanwu is the only leaf that is needed and every other is jara.

But what do I know. There is a traditional way and there is a modern way for young girls. cheesy

1 Like

Re: How To Cook Banga Soup/stew Like A Pro by SweetDipBenny(m): 7:24pm On May 14, 2022
Unzerious:
Smell's Good wink

I Literally Stuck my Phone in ma Nasal Cavity grin
Hmmm
Re: How To Cook Banga Soup/stew Like A Pro by SPAMBOX7: 9:10pm On May 14, 2022
Favour315:

Hmm
Please make it sufficient na
Naso you go do miss opportunity werey cheesy
Re: How To Cook Banga Soup/stew Like A Pro by Favour315(f): 10:53pm On May 14, 2022
pocohantas:

Sincerely I was surprised. Even more surprised that she said scent leaf won’t give the needed taste without ugu. When nchanwu is the only leaf that is needed and every other is jara.

But what do I know. There is a traditional way and there is a modern way for young girls. cheesy
Can you please show me where I said that scent leaves won't give the needed taste without ugu when all I have been saying is that ugu is optional but I love adding it to mine
Re: How To Cook Banga Soup/stew Like A Pro by pocohantas(f): 11:00pm On May 14, 2022
Favour315:

Can you please show me where I said that scent leaves won't give the needed taste without ugu when all I have been saying is that ugu is optional but I love adding it to mine

”if you have your scent leaves, then cook it like that, even though it may not taste exactly the way it should but believe me you will love the outcome provided the other ingredients apart from okpeye and ehuru are available”

This sounded like that. Forgive me if I got you wrong.

1 Like

Re: How To Cook Banga Soup/stew Like A Pro by descarado: 6:56am On May 15, 2022
cooooooks:
Thanks very much!

I'll check if African stores have Okpeye and calabash nutmeg. I think they have scent leaves too.

Pls don't buy okpeye from African shops.
It will ruin your stew. I always advise anytime you travel to naija or your people are sending stuffs, these small small things are a must.

You can make banga stew without okpei.
I started using okpei when I schooled in Enugu state cos I grew up without it and ofe akwu is a core in my place.

As long as you have scent leave( even dry one will do) and smoked or dry fish with any meat of choice, you are good to go.
Put enough crayfish and onions.
Not too much palm concentrate, uou will be good.
One of the quickest and easiest food to make now cos of the palm concentrate.

2 Likes

Re: How To Cook Banga Soup/stew Like A Pro by descarado: 7:08am On May 15, 2022
homegirl1:

Please who puts ginger or ehuru in ofe akwu/banga stew? That's very very wrong and a serious sign of a bad cook. Please and please the only star of the stew is scent leaf. Ofe akwu stew is native to Ndi Anambra and we don't use ginger or ehuru to make it yet we make the best.

That a particular food is cooked a particular way doesn't mean we shouldn't try cooking them differently. That's how we arrived in diff types of pizza, bread, fried rice( by the way, fried rice is native to Asians then north Africa but we have changed how its made completely to suit our taste buds)
The original Italian pizza is far from what we have now or bread.
Anambra don't use okpei to cook ofe akwu but now it's universal cos Enugu people use that and it's very flavourful.

If using ginger and ehuru does that for her, we might as well try that.

3 Likes

Re: How To Cook Banga Soup/stew Like A Pro by cooooooks(m): 1:03pm On May 15, 2022
Thanks very much for the advice.

I didn't grow up eating Banga a lot.

Funny enough, I have crayfish, okporo, dry pepper straight from Naija, I don't think I've ever bought them here.

descarado:

Pls don't buy okpeye from African shops.
It will ruin your stew. I always advise anytime you travel to naija or your people are sending stuffs, these small small things are a must.

You can make banga stew without okpei.
I started using okpei when I schooled in Enugu state cos I grew up without it and ofe akwu is a core in my place.

As long as you have scent leave( even dry one will do) and smoked or dry fish with any meat of choice, you are good to go.
Put enough crayfish and onions.
Not too much palm concentrate, uou will be good.
One of the quickest and easiest food to make now cos of the palm concentrate.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: How To Cook Banga Soup/stew Like A Pro by WarriAproko: 1:18pm On May 15, 2022
Favour315:

Teach us the Urhobo style. Let's learn different recipes
will do that next if i wants to cook
Re: How To Cook Banga Soup/stew Like A Pro by descarado: 8:46pm On May 17, 2022
cooooooks:
Thanks very much for the advice.

I didn't grow up eating Banga a lot.

Funny enough, I have crayfish, okporo, dry pepper straight from Naija, I don't think I've ever bought them here.

kiss
Another secret. Most of the oil abroad no dey like authentic naija oil. If you get banga concentrate you like, use that to make soup instead of oil.

I grew up using banga concentrate to make soup.
My mama will tell you that your soup is never the same taste if you use palm oil and banga concentrate. I have since ported to that.

If you want to make any soup that has to do with cocoyam, use quaker oath. No other oat. 100% like cocoyam. Grind and dissolve with water. Add small small cos it thickens.
Youtube to the rescue kiss
Re: How To Cook Banga Soup/stew Like A Pro by cooooooks(m): 7:44am On May 18, 2022
Hmm, the Quaker oats tip is totally new to me but makes a lot of sense.

Isn't a lot of the oil in Nigeria imported from neighbouring countries?

There's direct palm oil and palm concentrate from Ghana. So, I'm covered.
descarado:

kiss
Another secret. Most of the oil abroad no dey like authentic naija oil. If you get banga concentrate you like, use that to make soup instead of oil.

I grew up using banga concentrate to make soup.
My mama will tell you that your soup is never the same taste if you use palm oil and banga concentrate. I have since ported to that.

If you want to make any soup that has to do with cocoyam, use quaker oath. No other oat. 100% like cocoyam. Grind and dissolve with water. Add small small cos it thickens.
Youtube to the rescue kiss
Re: How To Cook Banga Soup/stew Like A Pro by camsyfoods: 10:00am On May 18, 2022
passionberry:

grin

Banga stew is one of my favorites. It has a nice aroma and taste. It even tastes better when you use Camsy Banga spice.
Affordable and simply great!

To get yours, send a WhatsApp message to: 08068657647

1 Like

Re: How To Cook Banga Soup/stew Like A Pro by ama19: 10:04pm On May 18, 2022
Favour315:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53lrsEPXxd0

Hey guys here is a step by step guide on how to make the Almighty Nigerian Banga soup ( ofe akwu)

INGREDIENTS
Fresh palm fruits
Meat,
Crayfish
Cooking cubes
Onions
Dry fish
Scent leaves
Ugu leaves
Ginger
Okpeye (fermented castor seed)
Ehuru ( calabash nutmeg)
Pepper
Salt

Wow, you did a good job on this video, already dropped my like smiley. I particularly liked your voicing.

I prepared this stew recently but made mine a bit thicker, please see how I prepared mine below and let me know you think. Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r65aAFXY-c4
Re: How To Cook Banga Soup/stew Like A Pro by XAUBulls: 6:34pm On Dec 11, 2023
Favour315:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53lrsEPXxd0

Hey guys here is a step by step guide on how to make the Almighty Nigerian Banga soup ( ofe akwu)

INGREDIENTS
Fresh palm fruits
Meat,
Crayfish
Cooking cubes
Onions
Dry fish
Scent leaves
Ugu leaves
Ginger
Okpeye (fermented castor seed)
Ehuru ( calabash nutmeg)
Pepper
Salt

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Food Can You Eat Everyday And Not Get Tired? / Access Bank Gives Staff Packets Of Sugar As Christmas Gifts. / Easy Steps To Make A Refreshing Soya Milk

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.