Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,321 members, 7,836,388 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 06:51 AM

Why you Should Read The Bible As An Atheist. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why you Should Read The Bible As An Atheist. (558 Views)

Why Do Thousands Of Churches Differ In Doctrine Yet They Read The Bible - Freeze / I'm An Atheist That Thinks That Premarital Sex Is Wrong. Is This Unusual? / Is This Where Jesus Endorsed Asoebi In The Bible? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why you Should Read The Bible As An Atheist. by Workch: 7:20pm On May 11, 2022
Because the Bible is a highly influential work, and an understanding of its mythology and lore is relevant to understanding history, politics, literature, philosophy, and many other matters. Additionally, several theists invoke the Bible incorrectly to advocate policies with which you disagree, and it’s rather important that you be able to cite their errors, inconsistencies, and hypocrisy.

Moreover, as a collection of mythic tales, it contains stories that are inspirational and instructive, and several passages of beauty

1 Like

Re: Why you Should Read The Bible As An Atheist. by MaxInDHouse(m): 7:26pm On May 11, 2022
Just STUDY the Bible alone with open mind and think about those who wrote this book some thousands of years ago.
See for yourself if any modern day intellectual could be wiser than them! smiley

1 Like

Re: Why you Should Read The Bible As An Atheist. by MrBrownJay1(m): 7:26pm On May 11, 2022
the only way to be able to counter any rubbish a xtian says, is to be highly educated in their holybook.... no two ways about it!

1 Like

Re: Why you Should Read The Bible As An Atheist. by Workch: 7:30pm On May 11, 2022
MrBrownJay1:
the only way to be able to counter any rubbish a xtian says, is to be highly educated in their holybook.... no two ways about it!
yes, exactly why I read it. How do you even reject what you dont understand.

1 Like

Re: Why you Should Read The Bible As An Atheist. by MaxInDHouse(m): 7:36pm On May 11, 2022
MrBrownJay1:

That's really hilarious!

Highly Educated but can't live peacefully on the same planet with your own specie.
Educated indeed! cheesy

1 Like

Re: Why you Should Read The Bible As An Atheist. by MrBrownJay1(m): 7:41pm On May 11, 2022
MaxInDHouse:
That's really hilarious!

Highly Educated but can't live peacefully on the same planet with your own specie.
Educated indeed! cheesy

are you saying that because i dismiss what a xtian says, it means i cant/dont live peacefully on the same planet with y'all?! i have no issues with xtians/muslims etc. you do what you do and i do what i do, but when you bring your xtian message online, in a public forum, we can discuss it openly.

BTW aint you the ones trying to force feed us your views/opinions every time someone has premarital sex, smokes/drinks etc?!

1 Like

Re: Why you Should Read The Bible As An Atheist. by FERNANDEZISBACK: 7:46pm On May 11, 2022
MrBrownJay1:

are you saying that because i dismiss what a xtian says, it means i cant/dont live peacefully on the same planet with y'all?! i have no issues with xtians/muslims etc. you do what you do and i do what i do, but when you bring your xtian message online, in a public forum, we can discuss it openly.

BTW aint you the ones trying to force feed us your views/opinions every time someone has premarital sex, smokes/drinks etc?!
Exactly.. apt..
Re: Why you Should Read The Bible As An Atheist. by Realist12: 7:49pm On May 11, 2022
You all keeps criticizing religion , religion being man made or true has shaped humanity .
Religion provided man the first laws and guidance.
Before we had constitution and laws religion gave us conscience.
We have several religious organizations with opposing views and errors. But religion preached love , preached conscience and justice gave hope in death if not man won't be where we are today .
Without morality we can't have legality.
Re: Why you Should Read The Bible As An Atheist. by MaxInDHouse(m): 7:49pm On May 11, 2022
MrBrownJay1:

are you saying that because i dismiss what a xtian says, it means i cant/dont live peacefully on the same planet with y'all?! i have no issues with xtians/muslims etc. you do what you do and i do what i do, but when you bring your xtian message online, in a public forum, we can discuss it openly. BTW aint you the ones trying to force feed us your views/opinions every time someone has premarital sex, smokes/drinks etc?!

You guys are raw illiterates claiming educated simply because you follow the whiteman's line of reasoning.
The Bible isn't just about morals as misinformed religionists taught you Sir, it's about how you and your neighbour can cohabit without raising weapons against one another.
So whatever makes you team up with anyone to think of fighting against another group of persons with WEAPONS shows you're not educated at all.
Education should first make peace reign between you and your neighbour before you can claim you have something worthwhile to be proud of as KNOWLEDGE! smiley
Re: Why you Should Read The Bible As An Atheist. by Nobody: 8:02pm On May 11, 2022
MaxInDHouse:

You guys are raw illiterates claiming educated simply because you follow the whiteman's line of reasoning.
The Bible isn't just about morals as misinformed religionists taught you Sir, it's about how you and your neighbour can cohabit without raising weapons against one another.
So whatever makes you team up with anyone to think of fighting against another group of persons with WEAPONS shows you're not educated at all.
Education should first make peace reign between you and your neighbour before you can claim you have something worthwhile to be proud of as KNOWLEDGE! smiley
teach him, he needs to learn.
Re: Why you Should Read The Bible As An Atheist. by Workch: 8:04pm On May 11, 2022
Realist12:
You all keeps criticizing religion , religion being man made or true has shaped humanity .
Religion provided man the first laws and guidance.
yes, those laws are mondane and cruel. Have you seen the cruel laws in the old testament. Dude, we have religous laws until 17th centuries where whicj ensures that witches get burnt on a stake.
Before we had constitution and laws religion gave us conscience.
we won't constitute another set of laws if relgious laws worked. Imagine living by the mosaic laws of thr Bible, is that thr kind of society you want to live in?
We have several religious organizations with opposing views and errors. But religion preached love , preached conscience and justice gave hope in death if not man won't be where we are today .
Without morality we can't have legality.
Religion preaching love and having a God who burns those who don't agree with him is ironic. Seriously it is.
What's the love in killing almost everybody on the world because they didn't agree with you?
What's the love in creating the devil to torment humans, refusing to get rid of the devil and then putting the blame on the so called sinners for your failed plan?

2 Likes

Re: Why you Should Read The Bible As An Atheist. by MrBrownJay1(m): 8:10pm On May 11, 2022
MaxInDHouse:

funny that you should say that, because as history taught us, that same xtianity religion has been the reason for countless wars/crusades, extermination of entire civilizations etc....but you have the audacity to call this religion of peace, you must be truly misinformed!

BTW isnt it your "supposedly" peaceful holybook that teaches that
Deuteronomy 21:18-21
18 If someone has a stubborn and rebellious son who does not obey his father and mother and will not listen to them when they discipline him, 19 his father and mother shall take hold of him and bring him to the elders at the gate of his town. 20 .” 21 Then all the men of his town are to stone him to death. You must purge the evil from among you. All Israel will hear of it and be afraid.

Exodus 21:15
“Whoever strikes his father or his mother shall be put to death.

Leviticus 20:9
“‘Anyone who curses their father or mother is to be put to death. Because they have cursed their father or mother, their blood will be on their own head.

Leviticus 20:10... If a man commits adultery with another man’s wife—with the wife of his neighbor—both the adulterer and the adulteress are to be put to death.

Deuteronomy 22:23-24... If a man happens to meet in a town a virgin pledged to be married and he sleeps with her, you shall take both of them to the gate of that town and stone them to death—the young woman because she was in a town and did not scream for help, and the man because he violated another man’s wife. You must purge the evil from among you.

Leviticus 21:9... If a priest’s daughter defiles herself by becoming a prostitute, she disgraces her father; she must be burned in the fire.

Deuteronomy 22:20-21... If, however, the charge is true and no proof of the young woman’s virginity can be found, she shall be brought to the door of her father’s house and there the men of her town shall stone her to death. She has done an outrageous thing in Israel by being promiscuous while still in her father’s house. You must purge the evil from among you.

Matthew 5:29-30... If your right eye causes you to stumble, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell.

Matthew 5:30...And if your right hand causes you to stumble, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to go into hell.
Re: Why you Should Read The Bible As An Atheist. by MaxInDHouse(m): 8:18pm On May 11, 2022
lifeoman:

teach him, he needs to learn.

Let's see how intelligent they truly are! smiley

1 Like

Re: Why you Should Read The Bible As An Atheist. by MaxInDHouse(m): 8:35pm On May 11, 2022
MrBrownJay1:

funny that you should say that, because as history taught us, that same xtianity religion has been the reason for countless wars/crusades, extermination of entire civilizations etc....but you have the audacity to call this religion of peace, you must be truly misinformed!
BTW isnt it your "supposedly" peaceful holybook that teaches that
Deuteronomy 21:18-21
18 If someone has a stubborn and rebellious son who does not obey his father and mother and will not listen to them when they discipline him, 19 his father and mother shall take hold of him and bring him to the elders at the gate of his town. 20 .” 21 Then all the men of his town are to stone him to death. You must purge the evil from among you. All Israel will hear of it and be afraid.
Exodus 21:15
“Whoever strikes his father or his mother shall be put to death.
Leviticus 20:9
“‘Anyone who curses their father or mother is to be put to death. Because they have cursed their father or mother, their blood will be on their own head.

Leviticus 20:10... If a man commits adultery with another man’s wife—with the wife of his neighbor—both the adulterer and the adulteress are to be put to death.
Deuteronomy 22:23-24... If a man happens to meet in a town a virgin pledged to be married and he sleeps with her, you shall take both of them to the gate of that town and stone them to death—the young woman because she was in a town and did not scream for help, and the man because he violated another man’s wife. You must purge the evil from among you.
Leviticus 21:9... If a priest’s daughter defiles herself by becoming a prostitute, she disgraces her father; she must be burned in the fire.
Deuteronomy 22:20-21... If, however, the charge is true and no proof of the young woman’s virginity can be found, she shall be brought to the door of her father’s house and there the men of her town shall stone her to death. She has done an outrageous thing in Israel by being promiscuous while still in her father’s house. You must purge the evil from among you.
Matthew 5:29-30... If your right eye causes you to stumble, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell.
Matthew 5:30...And if your right hand causes you to stumble, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to go into hell.

But i thought you said you are HIGHLY EDUCATED? embarassed

Well let me TEACH you!

God rescued a nation out of slavery in Egypt and gave them rules that will make them different from all other nations {Exodus 19:5} afterwards He told them all these laws can't lead them to everlasting life which He purposed in the beginning it can only guide them to the time the model man will be born in their midst, it's this model man that will lead them to Paradise! Deuteronomy 18:19-19

So CHRISTIANS followers of Christ have no business with the laws given to the nation of Israel since we knew Jesus through the preaching and teaching of his disciples not through the ancient prophets of Israel.
Galatians 3:19-25 compare to Romans 10:2-4

That's why Jesus taught his own disciples what totally contradicts the thoughts former prophets infused in their hearts {Matthew 5:43-48} he even told them never to raise weapons in settling disputes! Matthew 26:52
In fact that's why his people rejected him because his manner of reasoning sounds totally strange to them! John 10:20

So you only READ the book (Bible) you never STUDIED it, CHRISTIANITY has nothing to copy from the attitude of ancient Israelites all what we need is in Jesus Christ of Nazareth! smiley

1 Like

Re: Why you Should Read The Bible As An Atheist. by Workch: 8:35pm On May 11, 2022
MaxInDHouse:

Let's see how intelligent they truly are! smiley
So you think you are intelligent like this? cheesy
You who don't know anything outside of the Bible

1 Like

Re: Why you Should Read The Bible As An Atheist. by MaxInDHouse(m): 8:57pm On May 11, 2022
Workch:
So you think you are intelligent like this? cheesy
You who don't know anything outside of the Bible

Please share with me the BENEFITS of your KNOWLEDGE outside the Bible? smiley

1 Like

Re: Why you Should Read The Bible As An Atheist. by Workch: 8:58pm On May 11, 2022
MaxInDHouse:

Please share with me the BENEFITS of your KNOWLEDGE outside the Bible? smiley
for example, benefit of knowledge outside the Bible makes your mobile phone and internet work. I'm sure you are benefitting from that knowledge, at least to argue about your delusions.

If you disagree, you may have to show me the part of the Bible that talks about how to make internet and mobile phones work.

1 Like

Re: Why you Should Read The Bible As An Atheist. by Realist12: 9:00pm On May 11, 2022
Workch:
yes, those laws are mondane and cruel. Have you seen the cruel laws in the old testament. Dude, we have religous laws until 17th centuries where whicj ensures that witches get burnt on a stake.
we won't constitute another set of laws if relgious laws worked. Imagine living by the mosaic laws of thr Bible, is that thr kind of society you want to live in?
Religion preaching love and having a God who burns those who don't agree with him is ironic. Seriously it is.
What's the love in killing almost everybody on the world because they didn't agree with you?
What's the love in creating the devil to torment humans, refusing to get rid of the devil and then putting the blame on the so called sinners for your failed plan?
I'm not defending Christianity, I'm defending religion as a whole. All I'm saying is without religion we won't be civilized as we presently are . Think of it as different ideologies practiced by different societies. It gave room for coordination and peace in each society thereby reducing chaos and ensuring growth . Man cannot rule man without those religious laws . And what you're preaching atheism would have caused enough chaos and anarchy then.
Our current laws are fashioned on religious principles.
Re: Why you Should Read The Bible As An Atheist. by Workch: 9:03pm On May 11, 2022
Realist12:
I'm not defending Christianity, I'm defending religion as a whole. All I'm saying is without religion we won't be civilized as we presently are . Think of it as different ideologies practiced by different societies.
this is an assumption and it's most likely unverifiable
It gave room for coordination and peace in each society thereby reducing chaos and ensuring growth . Man cannot rule man without those religious laws . And what you're preaching atheism would have caused enough chaos and anarchy then.
Our current laws are fashioned on religious principles.
We have fought more wars because of relgious than any other reason. Religion divides people and there's evidence here in Nigeria that religion divides and cause wars in boko haram
Re: Why you Should Read The Bible As An Atheist. by Realist12: 9:23pm On May 11, 2022
Workch:
this is an assumption and it's most likely unverifiable
We have fought more wars because of relgious than any other reason. Religion divides people and there's evidence here in Nigeria that religion divides and cause wars in boko haram
man is not perfect. Atheism will cause more wars . Tell me what do atheist hold to heart . Lets imagine a world without religion. Are you saying man made constitution can bring about peace ? Can you imagine a society without religion with uneducated people.
You don't know that religion is the pillar of a stable society .
It's the first source of education and laws governing human.
You talk about Satan and death . If you take away the hopes of reward after death or suffering after death in the minds of men . No legal laws can govern such society . I've said it man cannot rule man without the knowledge of a superior being.
Re: Why you Should Read The Bible As An Atheist. by MaxInDHouse(m): 9:31pm On May 11, 2022
Workch:
for example, benefit of knowledge outside the Bible makes your mobile phone and internet work. I'm sure you are benefitting from that knowledge, at least to argue about your delusions. If you disagree, you may have to show me the part of the Bible that talks about how to make internet and mobile phones work.

This is really hilarious! cheesy
So it's the making of mobile devices that you call knowledge outside the Bible shey?
Perhaps you need to check the Bible too for fried rice and chicken, pounded yam and vegetable soup or the soap used in bathing in ancient times! cheesy

Ọmọ your IQ low o! embarassed

Well let's say you need enlightenment, so i'll teach you. Mobile devices are part of modern technology, it's called "advancement in the system of communication"
Before now people have been communicating one way or another and as time goes on we keep finding ways to improve on it that's what gave birth to TELECOMMUNICATION. cheesy

There are many things people use back then that mankind keep improving on it, cooking, traveling, documenting, clothing, housing, marketing, advertisement, entertainment and so on. All these are things God provided ready made tools that each time mankind finds it we make use of them.
God created bird with legs that can't be affected by electric wires long before mankind discovered electricity. So He already know we will discover so many things as we continue to live on this planet on our own.
What matters to Him is how we can cohabit peacefully! Isaiah 2:2-4 cheesy

1 Like

Re: Why you Should Read The Bible As An Atheist. by Workch: 9:32pm On May 11, 2022
Realist12:
man is not perfect. Atheism will cause more wars . Tell me what do atheist hold to heart . Lets imagine a world without religion. Are you saying man made constitution can bring about peace ? Can you imagine a society without religion with uneducated people.
You talk about Satan and death . If you take away the hopes of reward after death or suffering after death in the minds of men . No legal laws can govern such society . I've said it man cannot rule man without the knowledge of a superior being.
how did you know that atheism will cause more war?
Give me a sound logic to that

1 Like

Re: Why you Should Read The Bible As An Atheist. by Workch: 9:33pm On May 11, 2022
MaxInDHouse:

This is really hilarious! cheesy
So it's the making of mobile devices that you call knowledge outside the Bible shey?
Perhaps you need to check the Bible too for fried rice and chicken, pounded yam and vegetable soup or the soap used in bathing in ancient times! cheesy

Ọmọ your IQ low o! embarassed

Well let's say you need enlightenment, so i'll teach you. Mobile devices are part of modern technology, it's called "advancement in the system of communication"
Before now people have been communicating one way or another and as time goes on we keep finding ways to improve on it that's what gave birth to TELECOMMUNICATION. cheesy

There are many things people use back then that mankind keep improving on it, cooking, traveling, documenting, clothing, housing, marketing, advertisement, entertainment and so on. All these are things God provided ready made tools that each time mankind finds it we make use of them.
God created bird with legs that can't be affected by electric wires long before mankind discovered electricity. So He already know we will discover so many things as we continue to live on this planet on our own.
What matters to Him is how we can cohabit peacefully! Isaiah 2:2-4 cheesy
Why am I even replying you sef?
cheesy
You don't deserve any response from me. You are dull
Re: Why you Should Read The Bible As An Atheist. by Workch: 9:34pm On May 11, 2022
Realist12:
You are making things up from thing air.
And it's worrisome that you reason this way
Re: Why you Should Read The Bible As An Atheist. by MaxInDHouse(m): 9:38pm On May 11, 2022
Workch:

Why am I even replying you sef?
cheesy
You don't deserve any response from me. You are dull

Yeah! And you are smart but can't relate peacefully with your neighbours while i have strangers who never knew me before but are ready to welcome me into their homes anyday we meet all because i'm one of Jehovah's Witnesses!

Surely you're smarter than me! cheesy

Re: Why you Should Read The Bible As An Atheist. by Realist12: 9:42pm On May 11, 2022
Workch:
how did you know that atheism will cause more war?
Give me a sound logic to that
are you a student of law ? Coz LAW also recognized natural law, Well as I said religion happens to be the first source of legal education and morals available to man . A lot of men don't know and can't translate the law educated or illiterate. But religion has provided a foundation to tackle that .
The secondary laws are the constitution. I hope you understand better now . That's why religious laws are the oldest laws and they've served humanity from time immemorial.
Re: Why you Should Read The Bible As An Atheist. by Workch: 9:53pm On May 11, 2022
Realist12:
are you a student of law ? Coz LAW also recognized natural law, Well as I said religion happens to be the first source of legal education and morals available to man .
I'm not arguing this with you, I Just want to know how that matters

A lot of men don't know and can't translate the law educated or illiterate. But religion has provided a foundation to tackle that .
The secondary laws are the constitution. I hope you understand better now . That's why religious laws are the oldest laws and they've served humanity from time immemorial.
religion laws that are fictional and based on lies hence couldn't persist when reality started catching up
Re: Why you Should Read The Bible As An Atheist. by Realist12: 9:55pm On May 11, 2022
Workch:
I'm not arguing this with you, I Just want to know how that matters

religion laws that are fictional and based on lies hence couldn't persist when reality started catching up
bro I'm talking religious laws and the influences on man not Bible stories either you believeit or not . See the bigger picture.
Re: Why you Should Read The Bible As An Atheist. by Workch: 10:07pm On May 11, 2022
Realist12:
bro I'm talking religious laws and the influences on man not Bible stories either you believeit or not . See the bigger picture.
But that means you have deviated from the original topic
Re: Why you Should Read The Bible As An Atheist. by Realist12: 10:14pm On May 11, 2022
Workch:
But that means you have deviated from the original topic
You quoted me . I'm only repeating same points in my first post . And my point encompasses all religions including Christianity.
Re: Why you Should Read The Bible As An Atheist. by MrBrownJay1(m): 10:23pm On May 11, 2022
MaxInDHouse:

But i thought you said you are HIGHLY EDUCATED? embarassed

Well let me TEACH you!

God rescued a nation out of slavery in Egypt and gave them rules that will make them different from all other nations {Exodus 19:5} afterwards He told them all these laws can't lead them to everlasting life which He purposed in the beginning it can only guide them to the time the model man will be born in their midst, it's this model man that will lead them to Paradise! Deuteronomy 18:19-19

So CHRISTIANS followers of Christ have no business with the laws given to the nation of Israel since we knew Jesus through the preaching and teaching of his disciples not through the ancient prophets of Israel.
Galatians 3:19-25 compare to Romans 10:2-4

That's why Jesus taught his own disciples what totally contradicts the thoughts former prophets infused in their hearts {Matthew 5:43-48} he even told them never to raise weapons in settling disputes! Matthew 26:52
In fact that's why his people rejected him because his manner of reasoning sounds totally strange to them! John 10:20

So you only READ the book (Bible) you never STUDIED it, CHRISTIANITY has nothing to copy from the attitude of ancient Israelites all what we need is in Jesus Christ of Nazareth! smiley

how dare you look down on "the law" and try to disregard its message?!!?!?! isnt it your own jesus that clearly stated that:

Luke 16:17
It is easier for heaven and earth to disappear than for the least stroke of a pen to drop out of the Law.

Matthew 5:18-19
For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. 19 Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Matthew 5:17
“Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.

so you either stand by Jesus words or you dont, but dont be a selfish hypocrite to take only what fits your agenda from your holybook!

do you want me to post here more of the things that your holybook is clearly against, yet you hypocrites gladly partake in!?!??! dont get me started...

1 Like

Re: Why you Should Read The Bible As An Atheist. by cornelboy(f): 11:15pm On May 11, 2022
Workch:
Because the Bible is a highly influential work, and an understanding of its mythology and lore is relevant to understanding history, politics, literature, philosophy, and many other matters. Additionally, several theists invoke the Bible incorrectly to advocate policies with which you disagree, and it’s rather important that you be able to cite their errors, inconsistencies, and hypocrisy.
Moreover, as a collection of mythic tales, it contains stories that are inspirational and instructive, and several passages of beauty

Àwọn foolish people sha.

Why you no go read athiest books or the Koran?

Why don't you prove that those stories were myths?
Dem never even born your ancestors then.

(1) (2) (Reply)

In Need Of Funds?get Loan. / Year 2023: If You Are To Cultivate Only 1 Crop In Year 2023, What Would It Be ? / Trust In God By Pst. Dr. Paul Enenche

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.