Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,076 members, 7,814,737 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 06:29 PM

Boko Haram: Should Our Past Leaders Be Ashamed For Not Being Foresighted? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Boko Haram: Should Our Past Leaders Be Ashamed For Not Being Foresighted? (4284 Views)

Buhari Blames Economic Woes On Past Leaders / Buhari Will Not Probe Past Leaders – Oyegun / Boko Haram Should Be Allow To Capture More Towns Until After The 2015 Election (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Boko Haram: Should Our Past Leaders Be Ashamed For Not Being Foresighted? by Justcash(m): 9:55am On Jul 13, 2011
Unlike Ojukwu who was foresighted enough to see that Nigeria was doomed from the onset, Gowon, Awolowo, OBJ etc were just too selfish and short-sighted to even notice it.

Imagine what is going on now. The same Northerners that fought to keep Nigeria as one are the ones fighting hard to break away if possible. What a shame. After 50 years of deception and stoopidity.

I am sure that Awolowo will be regretting in his grave.

Gowon will regret most. Imagine what his state has turned into. Plateau state is now a burial ground with endless strife.

Why Nigeria is not moving forward is because these short sighted ex-leaders are being hailed as the wise ones by Nigerians, when in fact they were not wise at all. The wise ones like Ojukwu, Soyinka etc that saw the need and necessity to break Nigeria are insulted for their stance and foresightedness.

The past and present avoidable death of hundreds of Nigerians in their own land is on the head of Gowon and co. These deaths would have been avoided if Nigeria was allowed to disintegrate.

I am more sure than ever that the component Nigerian regions can make progress if they exist on their own, than existing together.

Yes, I support Boko Haram. They should Islamize the North and in fact ensure true sharia in all the Northern states. It is about time to face the truth. How can you ban the drinking of alcohol, yet, you receive the revenue generated from the sales of Alcohol? I pray for Sharia in every Northern states.

Break Nigeria up! Break Nigeria up!!!! That is the solution!!
Re: Boko Haram: Should Our Past Leaders Be Ashamed For Not Being Foresighted? by Nobody: 10:08am On Jul 13, 2011
Oh please!! The same Awolowo that was tried for treason and described Nigeria as a mere geographic expression is now to be blamed for Nigeria init? Same Ojukwu that came back for pension init?

Point your tribalist fingers at your folks dummy!!!

Did Awolowo lead Nigeria? Stupid Cunnt,
Re: Boko Haram: Should Our Past Leaders Be Ashamed For Not Being Foresighted? by Seanet1000: 10:12am On Jul 13, 2011
The people that are selfish, self centered and myopic in the foresight i think it is your ibo brothers who decided to staged a coup in which led to the brutal murder of the Premiers of the western, midwestern, Northern, the Prime minister, Military officers of Western and Northern extractions by your ibo blood sucking criminals in military uniform while all ibo leaders from the President to the Premier of the Eastern region all escaped without a single scratch on their body. You should stop this hypocrisytop this hypocrisy
Re: Boko Haram: Should Our Past Leaders Be Ashamed For Not Being Foresighted? by RoadStar: 10:22am On Jul 13, 2011
0lumide:

Oh please!! The same Awolowo that was tried for treason and described Nigeria as a mere geographic expression is now to be blamed for Nigeria init? Same Ojukwu that came back for pension init?

Point your tribalist fingers at your folks dummy!!!

Did Awolowo lead Nigeria? silly Cunnt,
The same Awo that aligned himself with the geographical expression and served under a military junta as soon as he came out of prison.
I don't think Awo for one lacked foresight, I think like most politicians today, he was self centered and lacked a clear political ideology.

Same can be said of Ojukwu, came back from exile and aligned with the same people he seemingly so despised.
Re: Boko Haram: Should Our Past Leaders Be Ashamed For Not Being Foresighted? by Nobody: 10:26am On Jul 13, 2011
RoadStar:

The same Awo that aligned himself with the geographical expression and served under a military junta as soon as he came out of prison.
I don't think Awo for one lacked foresight, I think like most politicians today, he was self centered and lacked a clear political ideology.

Where were you when Zik decide to form alliance with the boko harams when he could have done so with Action group ? Seems he wanted to dominate the boko harams who are mostly educated in islamic education !
Re: Boko Haram: Should Our Past Leaders Be Ashamed For Not Being Foresighted? by RoadStar: 10:32am On Jul 13, 2011
~Bluetooth:

Where were you when Zik decide to form alliance with the boko harams when he could have done so with Action group ? Seems he wanted to dominate the boko harams who are mostly educated in islamic education !
Exactly, No politician is foresighted or short sighted, They are all self centered, harlots.
It just irks me when I see ordinary people trying to defend them. angry
Re: Boko Haram: Should Our Past Leaders Be Ashamed For Not Being Foresighted? by Nobody: 10:41am On Jul 13, 2011
RoadStar:

Exactly, No politician is foresighted or short sighted, They are all self centered, harlots.
It just irks me when I see ordinary people trying to defend them. angry
Not really. . .Awo saw what Zik couldn't see,pleaded with him in order to form a united south against the North but Zik thought otherwise.What I know is that on Boko haramism in Nigeria,Awo cannot be blamed for it !
Re: Boko Haram: Should Our Past Leaders Be Ashamed For Not Being Foresighted? by Justcash(m): 11:12am On Jul 13, 2011
[b]Gowon, Awolowo and co were responsible for the sustenance of the disgrace called Nigeria. They surpported, fought and even killed to ensure that Nigeria remained one. The fact that they could not look into the future to see what this farce of a country would become means that they were too short-sighted to see that their aim of ensuring Unity in Nigeria was more harmful than good.

Now, what is happening, the same Northerners are blowing up everywhere. The other time, it was ND militants that were blowing up everywhere because the politicians dominated by the Northerners and Westerners destroyed their lands while stealing their oil  and left them very poor and wretched.

Unlike them, Ojukwu and others preached about the foolishness of trying to keep Nigeria as one. In the Ahiara declaration, Ojukwu stated everything that is happening now as if he saw it before time. He saw that Nigeria is not workable after the pogrom, where supposed fellow countrymen butchered their supposed brothers with enthusiasm and joy. He knew that Nigeria would never work.

What are we seeing today. Even the parts that fought for Nigeria's unity are worse off in Nigeria. Imagine the constant unnecessary deaths, destruction, corruption etc that is killing Nigeria. 70% of Nigerians are poor despite the fact that we have rich and abundant natural resources. Ethnic bigotry is the order of the day.

This is what the North and West fought to sustain. If you think it is not, tell me what else they fought for? Revenge? After they got their so called revenge, why didn't they leave the farce of a country? [/b]
Re: Boko Haram: Should Our Past Leaders Be Ashamed For Not Being Foresighted? by Akanbiedu(m): 11:20am On Jul 13, 2011
~Bluetooth:

Not really. . .Awo saw what Zik couldn't see,pleaded with him in order to form a united south against the North but Zik thought otherwise.What I know is that on Boko haramism in Nigeria,Awo cannot be blamed for it !

Those guys probably think they can control the north since in their reasoning, they are more educated(whatever that means). They always underrate the north. I mean how can you underrate a people that even the british found them to be sophisticated enough to rule themselves while they ruled you directly?

Its going to happen again, soon somebody is going to turn around and blame Tinubu for their misfortune.
Re: Boko Haram: Should Our Past Leaders Be Ashamed For Not Being Foresighted? by RoadStar: 1:28pm On Jul 13, 2011
~Bluetooth:

It seems u are a gullible person. Have u heard of the word posturing ?
These politicians take sides and position based on the potential gains at the point in time.

Did u know that Awo eventually formed an alliance with Zik ? When his breakaway faction NNDP went into alliance with NPC ?
Did U know that both Zik and Awo at various points of the Era had supported coups with Awo tried and imprisoned and eventually serving under Gowon ?
Did you know that Ojukwus main motivation for the war was to be head of state of Biafra ?

All I am saying is no one is more guilty and no one is more absolved in this whole sh.it
Re: Boko Haram: Should Our Past Leaders Be Ashamed For Not Being Foresighted? by Nobody: 1:36pm On Jul 13, 2011
RoadStar:

It seems u are a gullible person. Have u heard of the word posturing ?
These politicians take sides and position based on the potential gains at the point in time.

Did u know that Awo eventually formed an alliance with Zik ? When his breakaway faction NNDP went into alliance with NPC ?
Did U know that both Zik and Awo at various points of the Era had supported coups with Awo tried and imprisoned and eventually serving under Gowon ?
Did you know that Ojukwus main motivation for the war was to be head of state of Biafra ?

All I am saying is no one is more guilty and no one is more absolved in this whole sh.it

I asked you a simple question and I demand an answer instead of trying to mix up issues.Why did Zik align with Tafawa Balewa,a grand ancestor of boko haram instead of Awo,his fellow southerner ?
Re: Boko Haram: Should Our Past Leaders Be Ashamed For Not Being Foresighted? by redsun(m): 1:39pm On Jul 13, 2011
D only reason nigerian unity was fought for is d OIL.Now that d control of oil is shifting side,another war is brewing
Re: Boko Haram: Should Our Past Leaders Be Ashamed For Not Being Foresighted? by redsun(m): 1:49pm On Jul 13, 2011
Nigeria was never main to be,it will come to its natural end as people wise up and begin to wonder why d union?
Re: Boko Haram: Should Our Past Leaders Be Ashamed For Not Being Foresighted? by jason123: 2:09pm On Jul 13, 2011
@ OP
If we follow history, I think you are blaming the wrong people. I blame Azikwe. Why? Because the so called Awolowo NEVER wanted the North to be part of the union but Azikwe wanted them to be. Even the North NEVER wanted this union but Azikwe did.
You cannot just go to the Coup and the war without going through the events that lead to the coup, war and today's situation. What you did lacks objectivity.
Even Awolowo warned Ojukwu and told him to present his delegates and the West will support him but Ojukwu was arrogant and dismissed it. Even the so called Biafra failed, not because of Awolowo but because of its disregard for the minorities in the Eastern region and the invasion of the MW. The so called Starvation could not have been done by Awolowo as some people want us to believe. It was done by the Eastern minorities who where coastal.

Ojukwu never tried negotiating with his neighbours. He simply invaded and killed all oppositions. He NEVER for ONCE, tried to negotiate with the MW and the West. He simply brought Banjo to invade them. Note: NO NEGOTIATION!!!

The people you blamed NEVER wanted Nigeria. But since it was formed and they (North) saw the benefits, they now want Nigeria by force. As for Awolowo, he simply did what was best for his people, after all, "Nigeria is a mere geographical expression".
Re: Boko Haram: Should Our Past Leaders Be Ashamed For Not Being Foresighted? by RoadStar: 2:22pm On Jul 13, 2011
~Bluetooth:

I asked you a simple question and I demand an answer instead of trying to mix up issues.Why did Zik align with Tafawa Balewa,a grand ancestor of boko haram instead of Awo,his fellow southerner ?
I think you are getting carried away with the same old Zik/Awo superiority argument.
If u read my thread I have never in no way tried to defend Zik/Gowon or Ojukwu.

If you have issues as to why Zik was not mentioned,
I think you should direct that to the OP.

I am only stating that your defence of Awo is baseless as he is as guilty as any other politician of his time and even now.
Re: Boko Haram: Should Our Past Leaders Be Ashamed For Not Being Foresighted? by Nobody: 2:26pm On Jul 13, 2011
RoadStar:

I think you are getting carried away with the same old Zik/Awo superiority argument.
If u read my thread I have never in no way tried to defend Zik/Gowon or Ojukwu.

If you have issues as to why Zik was not mentioned,
I think you should direct that to the OP.

I am only stating that your defence of Awo is baseless as he is as guilty as any other politician of his time and even now.
Maybe you should learn from Jason123's post. . .it's quite educating !
Re: Boko Haram: Should Our Past Leaders Be Ashamed For Not Being Foresighted? by redsun(m): 2:33pm On Jul 13, 2011
U guys are busy blaming d past leaders who were supposedly more primitive than U,d mordern man,still without solutions
Re: Boko Haram: Should Our Past Leaders Be Ashamed For Not Being Foresighted? by T9ksy(m): 2:34pm On Jul 13, 2011
jason123:

@ OP
If we follow history, I think you are blaming the wrong people. I blame Azikwe. Why? Because the so called Awolowo NEVER wanted the North to be part of the union but Azikwe wanted them to be. Even the North NEVER wanted this union but Azikwe did.
You cannot just go to the Coup and the war without going through the events that lead to the coup, war and today's situation. What you did lacks objectivity.
Even Awolowo warned Ojukwu and told him to present his delegates and the West will support him but Ojukwu was arrogant and dismissed it. Even the so called Biafra failed, not because of Awolowo but because of its disregard for the minorities in the Eastern region and the invasion of the MW. The so called Starvation could not have been done by Awolowo as some people want us to believe. It was done by the Eastern minorities who where coastal.

Ojukwu never tried negotiating with his neighbours. He simply invaded and killed all oppositions. He NEVER for ONCE, tried to negotiate with the MW and the West. He simply brought Banjo to invade them. Note: NO NEGOTIATION!!!

The people you blamed NEVER wanted Nigeria. But since it was formed and they (North) saw the benefits, they now want Nigeria by force. As for Awolowo, he simply did what was best for his people, after all, "Nigeria is a mere geographical expression".

@ BOLDED, Awo is therefore a strong "tribalist" for doing what is best for his people.
I guess the sardunna did not fight for what is right for his people nor zik for his igbo people.

Abeg, leave matter ojare. 2nd base jo!!!

Justcash:

This is what the North and West fought to sustain. If you think it is not, tell me what else they fought for? Revenge? After they got their so called revenge, why didn't they leave the farce of a country? [/b]

Once again, i have to reiterate that the yorubas did not fight for One Nigeria rather they fought to stop the igbos from over-running their homeland. Its common knowledge that ojukwu's war was with the north but why then did he unleash his igbo troops on neutral regions like the midwest and the western region? You should ask ojukwu your last question above. why did he think the only way of leaving this dumb contraption is by invading neutral regions and bringing them under his sphere of influence? And here was me believing that his grouse was with the north for butchering his people, endlessly. Oh well, we all discern the truth now. it was all a ruse for ojukwu to actualise his inordinate ambition of becoming HOS of biafra with neighbouring regions forced into the union by force of arms. Pity (for the igbos) that he failed.

I make bold to assert that, had ojukwu headed north, the yorubas would not have engaged in the meaningless and wasteful war.
Re: Boko Haram: Should Our Past Leaders Be Ashamed For Not Being Foresighted? by redsun(m): 2:42pm On Jul 13, 2011
Yorubas were already in d war as part of united nigeria before Ojukwu headed west and west was d seat of nigeria then.
Re: Boko Haram: Should Our Past Leaders Be Ashamed For Not Being Foresighted? by aljharem3: 2:47pm On Jul 13, 2011
jason123:

@ OP
If we follow history, I think you are blaming the wrong people. I blame Azikwe. Why? Because the so called Awolowo NEVER wanted the North to be part of the union but Azikwe wanted them to be. [size=13pt]Even the North [b]NEVER wanted this union but Azikwe did.[/b][/size]

thank u jason

very well said
Re: Boko Haram: Should Our Past Leaders Be Ashamed For Not Being Foresighted? by RoadStar: 2:58pm On Jul 13, 2011
jason123:

@ OP
If we follow history, I think you are blaming the wrong people. I blame Azikwe. Why? Because the so called Awolowo NEVER wanted the North to be part of the union but Azikwe wanted them to be. Even the North [b]NEVER wanted this union but Azikwe did.[/b]

I think think the title of this thread should be "Its all Ziks Fault !"

I for one think that the British wanted the union and Zik was more or less pushing the British interest. Afterall he was a Governor General for the colonial government as at the time so he was representing the position of the British.
And as at the time, I doubt if any Nigerian had the power to change that.
Remember u were offered independence under the british discretion and u this not win independence as u would be made to believe.

We could as well blame Lord Lugard for all I care.

But at least Zik was ideologically one Nigeria from the onset.
But your men Awo and Ojukwu shifted positions when it suited them.
Re: Boko Haram: Should Our Past Leaders Be Ashamed For Not Being Foresighted? by jason123: 3:07pm On Jul 13, 2011
RoadStar:

I for one think that the British wanted the union and Zik was more or less pushing the British interest. Afterall he was a Governor General for the colonial government as at the time so he was representing the position of the British.
Remember u were offered independence under the british discretion and u this not win independence as u would be made to believe.

Yes, Azikwe was a nationalist as far as I know but he also had a soft spot for the Igbos (remember his speech after they won a football match in Lagos?). I really do not care about Azikwe. After all, he did what he thought was best for "Nigeria".

As for Awolowo, he NEVER shifted positions. He was the Western Leader and as such, he only had to answer to the West not Nigeria. The same can be said about Ahmado Bello who only had to answer to the North NOT Nigeria.

Ojukwu, to me, did what he did because he wanted his people to be better off BUT he did it in arrogance and naivety.
Re: Boko Haram: Should Our Past Leaders Be Ashamed For Not Being Foresighted? by Katsumoto: 3:20pm On Jul 13, 2011
RoadStar:

Zik became Governor-General in 1960; Sir James McPherson was Governor-General in 1957 when the British offered full autonomy to the three regions, which Awo accepted for the West, Bello rejected for the North, and for which Zik with the deciding vote voted for One Nigeria. Independence was delayed for three years while Zik waited for Bello's North to be ready.
Re: Boko Haram: Should Our Past Leaders Be Ashamed For Not Being Foresighted? by Justcash(m): 3:22pm On Jul 13, 2011
jason123:

@ OP

[b]Awolowo had an opportunity to stick to the agreement he had with Ojukwu and Biafra when he was released. He was supposed to pull out with Odudwa republic and make the North have no choice but to stick their asses up North. Instead of doing this, he went back and colluded with the North out of fear to fight against Biafra's secession plan.

The march towards the west happened after the war had begun and Awolowo was already an enemy of Biafra.

Awolowo's fear of fighting Northerners made him to decide not to leave. All he could have done was to fight them with the support of Biafra to ensure that Oduduwa was set free. For God's sake, Lagos had the weapons and amoury.

Nnamdi Azikiwe was a nationalist, who unfortunately was as short sighted as his peers i.e. Awolowo and co. He wanted a united Nigeria. It annoys me anytime people use Azikiwe to represent the wishes and interest of Igbos. Azikiwe never represented the interest of Igbos (His ethnic group) for once. He was more after Nigeria than his ethnic group, which ironically was his undoing. This is also the reason why he is being mocked. If he was concerned about his ethnic group, he would have held the interest of Igbos at heart. He never did. Awolowo and Bello/Balewa represented the interest of their own ethnic groups.

Let me analyze the situation for you. The best time that the unity of Nigeria would have been cemented was in the 60s, after the independence. This was completely shattered by Awo and Balewa's ethnic concerns and aim to ensure the interest of their ethnic groups over other ethnic groups. As a matter of fact, their selfish ethnic plans destroyed any chances of Nigerians having trust for themselves, co-existing peacefully and leaving together as true Nigerians.

Azikiwe was the only one blindly and stoopidly canvassing for a united Nigeria. By the time he became awake, the damage had been seriously done by Awo and co.

The political orientation of Azikiwe influenced the Igbos in the 1960s to believe more in one Nigeria than in their ethnic group. Igbos spread fast across the country than any other ethnic group. Instead of this being seen as a welcome development, it bred suspicion, hatred and jealousy in the North and West which was also influenced by the ethnic politics orientation of Awo and Balewa. It did not take long for the hatred to be exhibited in the form of the pogrom against Igbos for the first military coup. That was when it dawned on Igbos that Nigeria is not united and will never be united. Igbos decided to secede, the same North and West fought tooth and nail to hold them back.

My question now is, since the North and West carried out the pogrom and believed in the non-existence of one Nigeria, why didn't they allow the Igbos to secede? Why wasn't the war seen as an opportunity to break the country? Why did they have to stay 50 years to understand that Nigeria is not meant to be one?
The slogan after the war was, "Nigeria must be one" or "One Nigeria". Why then is the North looking for a way to escape out of Nigeria in the form of Boko Haram?  Why are westerners so happy to have ACN as a regional ethnic party than a national party?  

We have not achieved any meaninful development for 50 years as a country. We have been left behind by our peers. This was all caused by ethnic strife, which had it's genesis from the non nationalistic stance of Awo and Balewa, unlike Azikiwe. Even when they had the chance to achieve their aim of getting a heck out of the union, they shouted "One Nigeria", yet remained in suspicion against one another.

Awo and his northern chronies are to blame. I will say it from today till eternity. They destroyed Nigeria.
[/b]
Re: Boko Haram: Should Our Past Leaders Be Ashamed For Not Being Foresighted? by T9ksy(m): 3:25pm On Jul 13, 2011
redsun:

Yorubas were already in d war as part of united nigeria before Ojukwu headed west and west was d seat of nigeria then.

Which united nigeria? Did you read the speech by both Awo and the military governor of the midwest, D.Ejoor who both stated unambigously their opposition to the war?

The 'police action' land phase of what is now referred to as the Nigerian Civil War subsequently began in earnest at 0530 hrs on July 6, 1967. Troops concentrated at Vanderkya [in Benue State] under the command of Major Martin Adamu opened a barrage of fire in support of an assault on Garkem and Obudu in the Ogoja sector. A few hours' later troops under Major Sule Apollo opened up a second front from Ankpa and Idah toward Enugu Ezike and Okutu in the Nsukka sector.

Yeah, Lagos in yorubaland may have been the seat of govt but everyone knows that the "real power behind the throne" resides in the north.
Anyway, I thought Ojukwu's war was to avenge his people's massacre by the north, why then did he find it necessary to invade the midwest region even though he has given his word not to turn the region into a battlefield.

Moreover, if you acquint yourself with the missive Ojukwu wrote to Banjo, it will become obvious that Ojukwu's intention was not to sack the seat of govt. in yorubaland but to annex the region (after already occupying the midwest region) into his biafra Republic. I doubt if ojukwu even had any intention of confronting the north- the butcherers of his people, on the battlefield as he reportedly pledged.
Re: Boko Haram: Should Our Past Leaders Be Ashamed For Not Being Foresighted? by coogar: 3:30pm On Jul 13, 2011
jason123:

@ OP

the truth and nothing but the truth. . . . . . .if anyone is to be blamed, it should be azikwe and the ikemba himself.
Re: Boko Haram: Should Our Past Leaders Be Ashamed For Not Being Foresighted? by Nobody: 3:33pm On Jul 13, 2011
Unlike Ojukwu who was foresighted enough to see that Nigeria was doomed from the onset, Gowon, Awolowo, OBJ etc were just too selfish and short-sighted to even notice it.

All our past leaders should be blamed, but rulers who I believe should be blamed more are:
Ironsi, Gowon, Ojukwu, Awolowo, and Azikiwe.
Re: Boko Haram: Should Our Past Leaders Be Ashamed For Not Being Foresighted? by Katsumoto: 3:37pm On Jul 13, 2011
JustCash

Your points are too flawed. You want to blame others for the mistake made by Zik. Who benefitted from Zik's one Nigeria vision? Was it not Igbos? If the Igbos had everything they wanted in the East, they wouldn't have migrated to other parts of the country. When Zik aligned with the North in 1959, guess who got all the ministerial and administrative positions allocated to the South? Yes, you guessed it, the Igbos. The Yorubas and other Groups were left on the sidelines until Akintola broke away from the AG with the help of who? Zik and Okpara who thought that Akintola would defect to their party but played a fast one by preferring to form his own party and aligning with the North. Now when the situation of the Igbo changed with Akintola joining Balewa's government with positions held by Igbo now going to Akintola's supporters, what do you think happened next? Coup by Igbo officers.

In 1957, the Governor-General, Sir James Robertson, gave the three regions the choice of self-autonomy and independence but it had to be a majority decision. Awo voted for independence for the Western Region, Ahmadu Bello said the North wasn't ready for self-governance and would prefer to remain under British rule. Zik voted to put off Independence for the Eastern region, prefering to wait for the North to be ready. Zik had the choice of a country for the Eastern region but he wanted Nigeria at all cost.

Now fast forward to the general election in 1959. The North won the most seats in the house. Awo offered to join a coalition with Zik with Zik as Prime Minister (the PM had the real power) but Zik preferred to form a coalition with the North and accepted a redundant position as Governor-General with no real powers.

In 1962, there were problems in the Western Region between Awo and Akintola who both belonged to the Action Group. Akintola was sacked but due to actions of NCNC (Zik's Party) members, the removal of Akintola wasn't effected. Balewa and Zik imposed a state of emergency in the West because of chair throwing in the Western House yet there were no states of emergency in the North and East for far more violent actions on the streets (the TIV crisis and the Okrika riots). Awo was subsequentlyjailed on trumped up charges.

Now after the imprisonment of Awo, Zik thought that his party NCNC would take control of the Western region but Akintola decided to form his own party rather than join the NCNC. In the elections of December 1964, NNDP took control of the Western region. The NCNC cried that elections were rigged. According to Fazil Ope-Agbe (Akintola's right hand man), the ensuing mayhem in the West was sponsored by Okpara and Zik. With the AG in retreat, NCNC calculated that if Akintola's party fell apart, the NCNC would be in a position to pick the pieces. This is not far-fetched considering Zik's antecedents in the West.

With Akintola holding firm, NCNC didn't gain the advantage it sought. One year later, a group of officers who were predominantly Igbo, executed a coup that eliminated leading politicians and officers from the North and West. So after all these, you really expected that Awo would simply just follow the East in a secession bid. Awo's loyalty was to his people. He did what he felt was best for his people concerning the circumstances. Despite all that, Awo advised Ojukwu not to go to war. When Awo offered to organise a meeting with Northern officers, Ojukwu replied, 'On the specific question of whether there is a possibility of contract with the North, the answer is at the battle field.'

Don't ever lay the blame for the Nigerian fiasco at the feet of a man who didn't want it in the first place. Place it at the feet of those who wanted One Nigeria at all cost and didn't want it when it no longer suited them.I am tired of all these forgetful revisionists on NL.
Re: Boko Haram: Should Our Past Leaders Be Ashamed For Not Being Foresighted? by Justcash(m): 3:41pm On Jul 13, 2011
J12:

All our past leaders should be blamed, but rulers who I believe should be blamed more are:
Ironsi, Gowon, Ojukwu, Awolowo, Nzeogwu and Azikiwe.

Ironsi; For stopping the first coup, and not even following up with an effective prosecution of the culprits.

Gowon; For fighting a war without a single idea of what he is fighting for. Failing to call a SNC to peacefully find out what the different regions of Nigeria wanted.

Awolowo; For not sticking to his plan to secede with the west. For playing too much of ethnic politics.

Azikiwe; For fighting so hard to create a united Nigeria, and for being too nationalistic.

K. Nzeogwu; For leading the first coup and not ensuring that it was successful in the East too (Source of suspicion)

Balewa: For playing too much of ethnic politics.
Re: Boko Haram: Should Our Past Leaders Be Ashamed For Not Being Foresighted? by Katsumoto: 3:47pm On Jul 13, 2011
Justcash:

Ironsi; For stopping the first coup, and not even following up with an effective prosecution of the culprits.

Gowon; For fighting a war without a single idea of what he is fighting for. Failing to call a SNC to peacefully find out what the different regions of Nigeria wanted.

Awolowo; For not sticking to his plan to secede with the west. For playing too much of ethnic politics.

Azikiwe; For fighting so hard to create a united Nigeria, and for being too nationalistic.

K. Nzeogwu; For leading the first coup and not ensuring that it was successful in the East too (Source of suspicion)

Balewa: For playing too much of ethnic politics.

Can you at least try to educate yourself before making ignorant posts.

Please inform us of when Awo stated he would secede? And don't really on the fairy tales passed around Biafra

Secondly, Ifeajuna was the leader of the coup. That Nzeogwu was successful in his objective does not mean he was the leader. Nzeogwu was recruited by Anuforo in October 1965, the coup had been in the planning stage for years. Ifeajuna, Okafor, and Ijo were the original planners.

Why not mention Ojukwu as well who preferred to go war after he got 90% (Gowon's decree cool of what he wanted at Aburi and wasn't prepared for war?
Re: Boko Haram: Should Our Past Leaders Be Ashamed For Not Being Foresighted? by adejoro75: 3:50pm On Jul 13, 2011
Zik, Awo, Enahoro, Ironsi, Gowon, Obasanjo etc are to blame for what we have today
Ojukwu is 100% blameless on this. He is the only foresighted one among the players.
Re: Boko Haram: Should Our Past Leaders Be Ashamed For Not Being Foresighted? by Justcash(m): 3:51pm On Jul 13, 2011
Katsumoto:

JustCash

Your points are too flawed. You want to blame others for the mistake made by Zik. Who benefitted from Zik's one Nigeria vision? Was it not Igbos? If the Igbos had everything they wanted in the East, they wouldn't have migrated to other parts of the country. When Zik aligned with the North in 1959, guess who got all the ministerial and administrative positions allocated to the South? Yes, you guessed it, the Igbos. The Yorubas and other Groups were left on the sidelines until Akintola broke away from the AG with the help of who? Zik and Okpara who thought that Akintola would defect to their party but played a fast one by preferring to form his own party and aligning with the North. Now when the situation of the Igbo changed with Akintola joining Balewa's government with positions held by Igbo now going to Akintola's supporters, what do you think happened next? Coup by Igbo officers.

In 1957, the Governor-General, Sir James Robertson, gave the three regions the choice of self-autonomy and independence but it had to be a majority decision. Awo voted for independence for the Western Region, Ahmadu Bello said the North wasn't ready for self-governance and would prefer to remain under British rule. Zik voted to put off Independence for the Eastern region, prefering to wait for the North to be ready. Zik had the choice of a country for the Eastern region but he wanted Nigeria at all cost.

Now fast forward to the general election in 1959. The North won the most seats in the house. Awo offered to join a coalition with Zik with Zik as Prime Minister (the PM had the real power) but Zik preferred to form a coalition with the North and accepted a redundant position as Governor-General with no real powers.

In 1962, there were problems in the Western Region between Awo and Akintola who both belonged to the Action Group. Akintola was sacked but due to actions of NCNC (Zik's Party) members, the removal of Akintola wasn't effected. Balewa and Zik imposed a state of emergency in the West because of chair throwing in the Western House yet there were no states of emergency in the North and East for far more violent actions on the streets (the TIV crisis and the Okrika riots). Awo was subsequentlyjailed on trumped up charges.

Now after the imprisonment of Awo, Zik thought that his party NCNC would take control of the Western region but Akintola decided to form his own party rather than join the NCNC. In the elections of December 1964, NNDP took control of the Western region. The NCNC cried that elections were rigged. According to Fazil Ope-Agbe (Akintola's right hand man), the ensuing mayhem in the West was sponsored by Okpara and Zik. With the AG in retreat, NCNC calculated that if Akintola's party fell apart, the NCNC would be in a position to pick the pieces. This is not far-fetched considering Zik's antecedents in the West.

With Akintola holding firm, NCNC didn't gain the advantage it sought. One year later, a group of officers who were predominantly Igbo, executed a coup that eliminated leading politicians and officers from the North and West. So after all these, you really expected that Awo would simply just follow the East in a secession bid. Awo's loyalty was to his people. He did what he felt was best for his people concerning the circumstances. Despite all that, Awo advised Ojukwu not to go to war. When Awo offered to organise a meeting with Northern officers, Ojukwu replied, 'On the specific question of whether there is a possibility of contract with the North, the answer is at the battle field.'

Don't ever lay the blame for the Nigerian fiasco at the feet of a man who didn't want it in the first place. Place it at the feet of those who wanted One Nigeria at all cost and didn't want it when it no longer suited them.I am tired of all these forgetful revisionists on NL.

[b]It is your assumptions that are rather flawed. Zik never represented the interest of the Igbos. He was selfish and very nationalistic. He was not an ethnic bigot like Awolowo and Balewa. If he was, Igbos would have been way better in Nigeria.

Secondly, fighting that particular war would have been much more easier if Awolowo had simply stuck to the plan for him to get away of the union with the west. Negotiation is not an option in such an agreement. He should have left with the west, and the East would have gone, then the whole issue of a united Nigeria would have ended. Instead of doing this, the same Awo that you purported was eager to leave Nigeria embarked on a snail like attitude to ensure that Nigeria remained as one. Why the issue of negotiation when he could have simply left?!

Your point is like saying the North and West wanted out at first, but decided to experiment. When it failed, they stuck their ass in the failed experiment to brew more failure. Now they are tired of experimenting, they want out? LOL!

Anyway, they succeeded. Why then is Nigeria such a stinking third world country? Why is Boko haram crying?  [/b]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Lagos To Upgrade Lekki, Badagry Tourism Sites / Another SA -Nigerian Arms Deal Bust / This Is PDP Share Money On Election Day In Rivers State (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 137
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.