Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,153 members, 7,811,310 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:53 AM

Reasons Why Nigerian Tech Companies Pay Poorly. - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Reasons Why Nigerian Tech Companies Pay Poorly. (2914 Views)

Everybody Is A Javascript Developer On Nigerian Tech Twitter / Why Is Web Development The Most Commonly Talked About Career In Nigerian Tech / 10 Ways To Get High Paid Job In Tech Companies, No 8 May Shock You (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reasons Why Nigerian Tech Companies Pay Poorly. by rickyamos: 12:00pm On May 09, 2023
Why do Nigerian Tech companies pay poorly, they want 3-5 years of experience @ 150,000 Naira per month, bearing in mind someone with 3-5 years experience is already a proper adult proper in their late 20's or early 30'swith bills to Carter for.
Re: Reasons Why Nigerian Tech Companies Pay Poorly. by tensazangetsu20(m): 12:36pm On May 09, 2023
Because that's what they can afford. Only around 20 tech companies in Nigeria are profitable and have the ability to pay good salaries.

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Nigerian Tech Companies Pay Poorly. by rickyamos: 12:59pm On May 09, 2023
tensazangetsu20:
Because that's what they can afford. Only around 20 tech companies in Nigeria are profitable and have the ability to pay good salaries.

That means most local developers in Nigeria live from hand to mouth if they can't get a job with a foreign-based company.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Nigerian Tech Companies Pay Poorly. by tensazangetsu20(m): 1:00pm On May 09, 2023
rickyamos:

That means most local developers in Nigeria live from hand to mouth if they can't get a job with a foreign-based company.

Yes exactly.
Re: Reasons Why Nigerian Tech Companies Pay Poorly. by rickyamos: 1:24pm On May 09, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

Yes exactly.

What alternatives do you advise?
Re: Reasons Why Nigerian Tech Companies Pay Poorly. by qtguru(m): 1:33pm On May 09, 2023
rickyamos:

Freelance / Starting a business / Applying to Foreign jobs
Re: Reasons Why Nigerian Tech Companies Pay Poorly. by niel63(m): 1:34pm On May 09, 2023
Shebi na wetin I dey tell that guy for that thread him dey form woke...

If I show you work wey I don reject within this space you go cry... I'd rather use that time to read a book, watch movies or learn new stuffs... than invest in someone's business that has no benefit to me.

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Nigerian Tech Companies Pay Poorly. by tensazangetsu20(m): 1:38pm On May 09, 2023
rickyamos:

Struggle to get a remote job, start your own startup, run away from Nigeria.
Re: Reasons Why Nigerian Tech Companies Pay Poorly. by rickyamos: 1:49pm On May 09, 2023
niel63:
Shebi na wetin I dey tell that guy for that thread him dey form woke...

If I show you work wey I don reject within this space you go cry... I'd rather use that time to read a book, watch movies or learn new stuffs... than invest in someone's business that has no benefit to me.

Which thread?
Re: Reasons Why Nigerian Tech Companies Pay Poorly. by niel63(m): 1:55pm On May 09, 2023
Re: Reasons Why Nigerian Tech Companies Pay Poorly. by rickyamos: 2:06pm On May 09, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

Struggle to get a remote job, start your own startup, run away from Nigeria.

What are your tips for getting remote jobs, employers don’t like recruiting people from Nigeria, and Most remote jobs prefer people in North America or Latin America
Re: Reasons Why Nigerian Tech Companies Pay Poorly. by tensazangetsu20(m): 2:07pm On May 09, 2023
rickyamos:

What are your tips for getting remote jobs, employers don’t like recruiting people from Nigeria, and Most remote jobs prefer people in North America or Latin America

Hmm I won't lie I have no tips. Jobs have become exceedingly difficult to get especially since the mass layoffs started last year. I will target smaller firms but even that one sef isn't guaranteed but there's no harm in trying at all.
Re: Reasons Why Nigerian Tech Companies Pay Poorly. by rickyamos: 2:16pm On May 09, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

Hmm I won't lie I have no tips. Jobs have become exceedingly difficult to get especially since the mass layoffs started last year. I will target smaller firms but even that one sef isn't guaranteed but there's no harm in trying at all.

I thought you had a foreign remote job. I have been thinking of opportunities outside the tech and programming industry.
Re: Reasons Why Nigerian Tech Companies Pay Poorly. by tensazangetsu20(m): 2:20pm On May 09, 2023
rickyamos:

I thought you had a foreign remote job. I have been thinking of opportunities outside the tech and programming industry.

What's the alternative especially if you are in Nigeria. Yeah I had a remote job but I am now unemployed
Re: Reasons Why Nigerian Tech Companies Pay Poorly. by niel63(m): 2:25pm On May 09, 2023
The only answer to all these is.

We are in war.

Cold war get hin own effects nau... millions of business are shutting down.

There's no flow of this currency again.

War no good.

Person go say wetin concern us with Ukraine 🇺🇦
Well, most tech companies dey put support for Ukraine.

Omo war no good. E go touch everybody one way or the other.
Re: Reasons Why Nigerian Tech Companies Pay Poorly. by rickyamos: 2:31pm On May 09, 2023
qtguru:

Freelance / Starting a business / Applying to Foreign jobs

It’s even easier to get an internship or local programming job in Nigeria than to apply for freelance jobs or foreign-based jobs. Only a few percent of Nigerians who are exceptionally good or have competitive programming skills get remote jobs. I think the other group of Nigerians who get remote jobs are those Nigerians who shuttle between Nigeria and other developed countries or have multiple residences or passports
Re: Reasons Why Nigerian Tech Companies Pay Poorly. by rickyamos: 2:42pm On May 09, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

What's the alternative especially if you are in Nigeria? Yeah I had a remote job but I am now unemployed
Yes what is the alternative, especially if you live in Nigeria, Neighbouring countries like Benin du Republic would have been a good option to scout for jobs, but Nigeria even has more purchasing power and jobs than the rest of Ecowas countries. it is very easy to be trapped in poverty when you reach a certain age limit in Nigeria. with the 150k-200k Naira job being advertised for 3-5 experience, 150k to 250k cannot get you decent housing with security and amenities and also electronics and furniture for your housing, and also good feeding, and probably a heterosexual relationship, your standard of living would be low.

3 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Nigerian Tech Companies Pay Poorly. by tensazangetsu20(m): 2:47pm On May 09, 2023
rickyamos:

Yes what is the alternative, especially if you live in Nigeria, Neighbouring countries like Benin du Republic would have been a good option to scout for jobs, but Nigeria even has more purchasing power and jobs than the rest of Ecowas countries. it is very easy to be trapped in poverty when you reach a certain age limit in Nigeria. with the 150k-200k Naira job being advertised for 3-5 experience, 150k to 250k cannot get you decent housing with security and amenities and also electronics and furniture for your housing, and also good feeding, and probably a heterosexual relationship, your standard of living would be low.

I am glad more people are realizing this now. I realized this years back when I newly got into tech and was searching for work. I saw how bleak the economy of African countries are and started making my contingency plans. Luckily for me 2020 to 2022 were the golden years and it was a bit easy to get remote roles. I don't know your financial situation but if you can scrape like 2 million I will advise you to seek for admission in a Brazilian university and use that as a means to move. There's no tuition fees and you would have access to a lot of remote roles with american firms from there due to the similar timezone ish with US firms. As for looking for work in other African countries it's a waste of time. In sub Saharan Africa, only south Africa and Nigeria have the most job openings.

I said so three years ago and I hadn't even started working then. Now things are even worst than then. The job openings in Nigeria have drastically reduced so even internships won't be easy anymore

https://www.nairaland.com/6079537/cant-escape-africa-please-not

4 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Nigerian Tech Companies Pay Poorly. by niel63(m): 3:04pm On May 09, 2023
I went on Instagram and seeing my friend success even more than I am pain's me...
It's not jealousy... its the limitations I face being in Nigeria. And the shit is even getting worse.

My nigga bought Lambo last year... year over 250k and last night I see the manchi for Aston Martins...

I know people dream of camry and stuffs like that... but my dreams dey bigger, and when you see these folks making it big illegitimate, and you wey dey form son of God no get shingbain even with you knowledge... it pains deep.

Tensa, that brasil matter dey really work? Cos as I dey like this, I dey draw my last straw.
Re: Reasons Why Nigerian Tech Companies Pay Poorly. by rickyamos: 3:07pm On May 09, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

I am glad more people are realizing this now. I realized this years back when I newly got into tech and was searching for work. I saw how bleak the economy of African countries are and started making my contingency plans. Luckily for me 2020 to 2022 were the golden years and it was a bit easy to get remote roles. I don't know your financial situation but if you can scrape like 2 million I will advise you to seek for admission in a Brazilian university and use that as a means to move. There's no tuition fees and you would have access to a lot of remote roles with american firms from there due to the similar timezone ish with US firms. As for looking for work in other African countries it's a waste of time. In sub Saharan Africa, only south Africa and Nigeria have the most job openings.

I said so three years ago and I hadn't even started working then. Now things are even worst than then. The job openings in Nigeria have drastically reduced so even internships won't be easy anymore

https://www.nairaland.com/6079537/cant-escape-africa-please-not

To travel out or move out, you need a lot of money in the first place which is gotten by getting a job, if you don't have a job how do you get money? if I had the money in the first place, I wouldn't travel out, that was why I said, it is very easy to get trapped in poverty in Nigeria. Aside from the tech space Nigeria, has Good arable land for agriculture, but there is a lack of infrastructure and machinery which discourages youths from trying. A lot of young men here in Lagos live on begging, extortion, and stealing.

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Nigerian Tech Companies Pay Poorly. by tensazangetsu20(m): 3:10pm On May 09, 2023
rickyamos:

To travel out or move out, you need a lot of money in the first place which is gotten by getting a job, if you don't have a job how do you get money? if I had the money in the first place, I wouldn't travel out, that was why I said, it is very easy to get trapped in poverty in Nigeria. Aside from the tech space Nigeria, has Good arable land for agriculture, but there is a lack of infrastructure and machinery which discourages youths from trying. A lot of young men here in Lagos live on begging, extortion, and stealing.

True I don't think normal subsistence agriculture has made anyone wealthy or even middle class. There's a limit to what you can plant and cultivate with your hands. Also, security issues with herdsmen. Movement of goods from farm to market place. Excessive extortion by middlemen. It's not easy. I think the tech job market will recover but I don't know how long it's gonna take.
Re: Reasons Why Nigerian Tech Companies Pay Poorly. by rickyamos: 3:17pm On May 09, 2023
niel63:
I went on Instagram and seeing my friend success even more than I am pain's me...
It's not jealousy... its the limitations I face being in Nigeria. And the shit is even getting worse.

My nigga bought Lambo last year... year over 250k and last night I see the manchi for Aston Martins...

I know people dream of camry and stuffs like that... but my dreams dey bigger, and when you see these folks making it big illegitimate, and you wey dey form son of God no get shingbain even with you knowledge... it pains deep.

Tensa, that brasil matter dey really work? Cos as I dey like this, I dey draw my last straw.
What does your guy do that he can afford 250k dollars lambo, for you to even have the technical expertise to pull off 500k dollars or 1 million dollars scam, you must have been trained formally by professionals probably you went to a good programming school or got on the job training while working in a company. I believe people like hush, otunba and the rest were working legitimately in the tech or software space, before branching out to crime, a novice cant write undetectable malware and embed it in an email, it takes years of technical experience and formal training to be proficient. most of these 10 million dollar scams are carried out by professional programmers working in a company, who then decide to enter into crime with their expertise. Phishing as a method of attack is already getting ineffective, effective cyber-attacks involve malware which takes you to writing exploits, buffer overflows, OS programming, Malware analysis, etc, these are not for amateurs.

5 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Nigerian Tech Companies Pay Poorly. by tensazangetsu20(m): 3:19pm On May 09, 2023
niel63:

Yes bros very legit. There's no tuition fees for universities in Brazil even for foreigners. That's the only place I can advise if you no hold bar for Naija. Hustle flight ticket and proof of funds and use am escape.
Re: Reasons Why Nigerian Tech Companies Pay Poorly. by tensazangetsu20(m): 3:20pm On May 09, 2023
rickyamos:

What does your guy do that he can afford 250k dollars lambo, for you to even have the technical expertise to pull off 500k dollars or 1 million dollars scam, you must have been trained formally by professionals probably you went to a good programming school or got on the job training while working in a company. I believe people like hush, otunba and the rest were working legitimately in the tech or software space, before branching out to crime, a novice cant write undetectable malware and embed it in an email, it takes years of technical experience and formal training to be proficient. most of these 10 million dollar scams are carried out by professional programmers working in a company, who then decide to enter into crime with their expertise. Phishing as a method of attack is already getting ineffective, effective cyber-attacks involve malware which takes you to writing exploits, buffer overflows, OS programming, Malware analysis, etc, these are not for amateurs.

Might not be an expensive Lambo. I think a huracan is achievable if you work with a faang.
Re: Reasons Why Nigerian Tech Companies Pay Poorly. by rickyamos: 3:25pm On May 09, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

Might not be an expensive Lambo. I think a huracan is achievable if you work with a faang.

Have you tried looking for remote jobs in South America or English asian speaking countries? South American countries value English speakers
Re: Reasons Why Nigerian Tech Companies Pay Poorly. by niel63(m): 3:26pm On May 09, 2023
rickyamos:

Bro everything wey you mention no be hard work you know ba?

The advantage he has is, his parents are very wealthy in Nigeria... and he's an American citizen. That's why I can't even pull shoulders with him.

For all I know, it might be his father's wealth... but I know this guy well.

The bottom line is, na same guy wey follow me burn pot and waka for street with ordinary bathroom slippers. Even though at that time, it seemed like he was rehabilitating... bottom line is, me and him align matter that year.

Plus he was technically sounds.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Nigerian Tech Companies Pay Poorly. by qtguru(m): 3:26pm On May 09, 2023
rickyamos:

It’s even easier to get an internship or local programming job in Nigeria than to apply for freelance jobs or foreign-based jobs. Only a few percent of Nigerians who are exceptionally good or have competitive programming skills get remote jobs. I think the other group of Nigerians who get remote jobs are those Nigerians who shuttle between Nigeria and other developed countries or have multiple residences or passports

Yes but also you don't need to be exceptionally good to get a remote job, you just need a good online profile and brand. Twitter Account / Website.

People cannot vouch for your competency without a point of reference.

For every Chrome extension I do, I tweet about it, write articles about it, share on Twitter and add it to my profile.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Reasons Why Nigerian Tech Companies Pay Poorly. by niel63(m): 3:27pm On May 09, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

Yes bros very legit. There's no tuition fees for universities in Brazil even for foreigners. That's the only place I can advise if you no hold bar for Naija. Hustle flight ticket and proof of funds and use am escape.

I will look into this.

I've seen a few Latin American role that told me they couldn't employ me cos of my geographical zone...plus, pay was good.
Re: Reasons Why Nigerian Tech Companies Pay Poorly. by tensazangetsu20(m): 3:27pm On May 09, 2023
rickyamos:

Have you tried looking for remote jobs in South America or English asian speaking countries? South American countries value English speakers

Those jobs exist but they won't give it to you while you in Nigeria
Re: Reasons Why Nigerian Tech Companies Pay Poorly. by rickyamos: 3:32pm On May 09, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

Those jobs exist but they won't give it to you while you in Nigeria

That means tech people in Nigeria are trapped and restricted to the local market.
Re: Reasons Why Nigerian Tech Companies Pay Poorly. by niel63(m): 3:34pm On May 09, 2023
rickyamos:

Bro, honestly make we leave talk, I remember back then, I knew dudes who fled Yankee after picking millions of dollars... thats why gee no dey freak me... I've seen it all.
But now my country dey make legitimacy seem stupid.

Somebody price me for projects worth 5k usd for 250k naira... you dey imagine that kind rubbish.?

I'm in pains like this... and as it stands, if I see sure people wey dey run street with privacy I go follow... cheesy grin grin cos I am not understanding.

The basic stuffs get these dudes paid and I go dey here dey learn concurrency for golang just for someone to come and price me 250k per month.
grin grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reasons Why Nigerian Tech Companies Pay Poorly. by tensazangetsu20(m): 3:34pm On May 09, 2023
rickyamos:

That means tech people in Nigeria are trapped and restricted to the local market.

A few people get and will get remote roles but the number will reduce. It's why when I you get those remote roles. Avoid lifestyle inflation and carefully plan your escape from naija. Regardless of how much you make you can be laid off anytime and it's not easy getting another role. Even the highest earner I know from naija bought another country's passport. If Nigeria was good and amazing he could have kept the money and be enjoying himself in Nigeria.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Microsoft Front Page Or Adobe Dreamweaver? / A Photo Match Application/ Website / Developing An App To Reduce Queues At ATM

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.