Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,112 members, 7,811,129 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:22 AM

Moin Moin- Made Easy - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Moin Moin- Made Easy (8399 Views)

Moin-moin: To Peel Or Not To Peel The Beans / Hello / Moin-Moin Lovers, Come In Here! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Moin Moin- Made Easy by Nobody: 2:35pm On Jul 13, 2011
How to make delicious and great looking moin moin without all the leaf/aluminum foil mess. wink. I am quiet sad that I have suffered with the whole aluminum foil business for so long! going on a moin moin cooking spree,  feel free to order some from moa, lol.

Recipe and pictures copied from : www.9jafoodie.com

Ingredient
Black eyed beans 1.5 cups

3 Tspns Palm oil
3 Tspns butter (melted)
Onion (1/2)
 (thinly sliced)
Eggs (4) (Boil 2 eggs, peel and half each)

10 large raw shrimps ( cleaned and chopped)
Red bell pepper (1)
Scotch bonnet pepper (1)
Ground crayfish (1 table spoon)

Bullion cube (1 )

Salt (to taste)
1 large loaf pan

Direction:

Prepare the beans  {Pre soak beans in warm water (preferably overnight), Peel the beans,
 rinse and remove beans skin)}

Combine beans, red bell pepper (chopped) and  2-table spoons water in a blender, blend until you have a very smooth
 batter

Pour the batter into a large bowl, Crack the left over eggs into the batter.

Boil 1 table spoon water, dissolve salt and bullion cube in the hot water, set aside to cool. once cooled add to batter

Bleach the palm oil on high heat for 3 mins ( set aside to cool) , add in the melted butter then add to bean batter

With a spatula, combine the batter thoroughly, taste and adjust for salt

Place a large pan on medium heat, add in 2 Tspns of canola oil, add in the onion, satay until the onion becomes translucent (about 4 mins), add in the chopped shrimp and some salt. stir until the   shrimp is cooked ( 3mins). set aside to cool

Add 4 cups water to a large pot, set on medium heat

Pour half of the batter into the loaf pan, add in the sliced boiled eggs, layer in the shrimp and onion, pour in the left over batter. Cover the loaf pan tightly with some aluminum foil.

Place the batter filled loaf pan in the pot of water ( it shouldn't be covered in water), place a tight lid over the pot, steam for 1:30mins (you might have to add in more water at the halfway point)

Test if Your moi moi is ready by inserting a tooth pick in the middle, it should come out clean when ready. remove from heat and set aside to cool.

EnJoy moi moi with ogi (pap), jollof rice or on it own : In picture : Steamed Moi moi with Eko Eda (coarse Ogi/pap)[/left][/left][/left][/left]

1 Like

Re: Moin Moin- Made Easy by JeSoul(f): 4:36pm On Jul 13, 2011
Moi-moi in a loaf pan . . . so simple, yet so genius! I am going to try this soon . . . Thanks for the recipe poster!
Re: Moin Moin- Made Easy by Ladytemi(f): 7:41am On Jul 14, 2011
Must admit, I never thought of a loaf pan as an option, will most definitely be trying this out soon.
Re: Moin Moin- Made Easy by Nobody: 2:39pm On Jul 14, 2011
Yes ladies simple genius , do try it smiley
Re: Moin Moin- Made Easy by JeSoul(f): 7:47pm On Jul 14, 2011
Will do smiley.

I clicked on your link yesterday and ended up spending half of the day just reading thru the blog smiley so many fantastic ideas and mouthwatering recipes I have to try. Is it your blog?
Re: Moin Moin- Made Easy by MissIfe(f): 8:17pm On Jul 14, 2011
Wow! I tried cooking moi moi a few times and always had trouble with the steaming, I just tried your recipe and my perfect moi moi is cooling in the kitchen as I'm typing. My husband will be happy and, at last, he won't be making fun of my moi moi anymore ! grin

As for the blog, I also spent a long time going through it, it's already in my favorites. Many thanks!
Re: Moin Moin- Made Easy by Nobody: 8:37pm On Jul 14, 2011
@JeSoul, HAHAHAH, I dey tempted to claim credit for that site o, but God is watching sha. lol. I am happy you liked the site, it's my secret weapon cheesy

@Miss_Ife, yeiiiiiiii #Happy dance @ perfect moi moi. awwww@Hubby too. happy you like the blog, spread the words, a lot more ladies/women/wives/girlfriends/ people who like to form chef every now and then ( aka moa) needs to know about it.
Re: Moin Moin- Made Easy by Nobody: 7:27pm On Jul 21, 2011
Miss Ife- I Hope your husband enjoyed the moi moi smiley
Re: Moin Moin- Made Easy by JeSoul(f): 7:51pm On Jul 21, 2011
labalaba:

@JeSoul, HAHAHAH, I dey tempted to claim credit for that site o, but God is watching sha. lol. I am happy you liked the site, it's my secret weapon cheesy
Lol. Secret weapon for real. Its loaded with so many recipes I'm not even sure where to start lol. Have you tried some? any suggestions?

labalaba:

Miss Ife- I Hope your husband enjoyed the moi moi smiley
Lol grin she didn't come back now . . . I'm sure he enjoyed it and is 'thanking' her very well grin
Re: Moin Moin- Made Easy by armyofone(m): 7:56pm On Jul 21, 2011
Jesoul have you tried the moin moin in the loaf pan yet?

labalaba, can i use the loaf pan if i want a plain moin moin as in just bean, oil, salt, dried crayfish and knorr?
Re: Moin Moin- Made Easy by MissIfe(f): 7:58pm On Jul 21, 2011
Oh he did enjoy it! I didn't tell him that I cooked moi moi, when he came home he saw the jollof and later looked at what was on the table, he started with a "your cake looks weird, " before noticing the eggs and then he couldn't believe his eyes : "you cooked moi moi?! Really? how did you do?! who did you call?" He thought I woke up some of his nigerian lady friend to get the recipe  grin I was so proud  grin grin

Now, this blog is just wonderful, there are still so many other dishes that I want to learn. And i love the presentation, it looks very "classy".
Re: Moin Moin- Made Easy by JeSoul(f): 8:52pm On Jul 21, 2011
armyofone:

Jesoul have you tried the moin moin in the loaf pan yet?
My sister I never try am yet oh. Na laziness jare, plus I had other recipes in queue. Tried shuk shuk yesterday - someone had posted it on a thread here a while back http://www.spicebaby.com/recipes/small-chops-recipe-shuk-shuk-shook-shook-coconut-balls.html
very easy and came out okay, I didn't use enough sugar (trying to be health conscious lol) so it didn't have the kick I wanted. Plus this yeye oyinbo coconut that is one kin. Different brand to try next time.

labalaba, can i use the loaf pan if i want a plain moin moin as in just bean, oil, salt, dried crayfish and knorr?
I don't see why not. The eggs and co are just extra embellishments  cheesy
Re: Moin Moin- Made Easy by JeSoul(f): 8:54pm On Jul 21, 2011
Miss_Ife:

Oh he did enjoy it! I didn't tell him that I cooked moi moi, when he came home he saw the jollof and later looked at what was on the table, he started with a "your cake looks weird, " before noticing the eggs and then he couldn't believe his eyes : "you cooked moi moi?! Really? how did you do?! who did you call?" He thought I woke up some of his nigerian lady friend to get the recipe grin I was so proud grin grin

Now, this blog is just wonderful, there are still so many other dishes that I want to learn. And i love the presentation, it looks very "classy".
grin grin Lol. You go girl. And you're right about the classy presentation of the foods. It adds an extra touch and provides a modern spin on a traditional dish. Very very cool.
Re: Moin Moin- Made Easy by MissyB3(f): 9:17pm On Jul 21, 2011
Looks inviting but, won't the moi-moi destroy in attempt to slice the loaf?

Good for a change but I prefer the shape of a foil plate [Of course, where leaves aren't available] cheesy.
Re: Moin Moin- Made Easy by Nobody: 9:25pm On Jul 21, 2011
@JeSoul: I follow the blog religiously ooo, I be champion African food person for my side ooo  wink, I use it as my cooking guide every weekend. Recipes are to the T

@armyofone; miss Ife has tried the recipe with loaf pan, she loves it from what we can see. and yes, as JeSoul said, everything else nah jara, you can make your moi moi as plain as you want

@Miss Ife; yeiiii, Happy your husband loved it, small time now u go become moi moi champion.
Re: Moin Moin- Made Easy by Nobody: 9:27pm On Jul 21, 2011
Miss B, the moi moi slices should be BIG, there wont be any reason for it to destroy I dont think
Re: Moin Moin- Made Easy by MissyB3(f): 9:35pm On Jul 21, 2011
I see! smiley
Re: Moin Moin- Made Easy by JeSoul(f): 10:21pm On Jul 21, 2011
labalaba:

@JeSoul: I follow the blog religiously ooo, I be champion African food person for my side ooo wink, I use it as my cooking guide every weekend. Recipes are to the T
Ah! oya suggest one or two recipes for me smiley which one is your favorite you've tried?
Re: Moin Moin- Made Easy by Nobody: 4:02am On Jul 22, 2011
One or two? pere? mehnnn, that one go hard oo. kk, I loved the Egusi with bitter leave recipe, but the edikang ikong was off the chain as well so was the Ofe owerri n ofe Onugbu. lol , the caramelized goat and Ewa Agoyin got me plenty compliments oo, the boys almost turned my house to restaurant self. The blog was awarded best Nigerian Food Blog for 2011, the recipes are just awesome.
Re: Moin Moin- Made Easy by MissIfe(f): 6:33am On Jul 22, 2011
@Missy B, I had no problem taking the moi moi out on a plate and slicing it. I did spread a little bit of oil in the loaf pan before steaming though, and I removed the moi moi from the pan while still warm (I didn't know if it was better to wait for it to cool or not, but it worked anyway so, ). The slices actually look quite nice, since it can show what is inside the moi moi, I didn't make them too large, just like standard cake slices.
Re: Moin Moin- Made Easy by Bawss1(m): 10:56am On Jul 22, 2011
Really good food blog I must say.
Re: Moin Moin- Made Easy by JeSoul(f): 8:23pm On Jul 22, 2011
labalaba:

One or two? pere? mehnnn, that one go hard oo.
Lol  grin

kk, I loved the Egusi with bitter leave recipe, but the edikang ikong was off the chain as well so was the Ofe owerri n ofe Onugbu. lol , the caramelized goat and Ewa Agoyin got me plenty compliments oo, the boys almost turned my house to restaurant self. The blog was awarded best Nigerian Food Blog for 2011, the recipes are just awesome.
Lol. Your husband must be chopping like a king. I salute you oh lol. The caramelized goat sounds fascinating. That's my next shot after I take a stab at this moin moin. Thanks sister! and happy cooking smiley
Re: Moin Moin- Made Easy by Nobody: 6:18pm On Jul 23, 2011
Yes ooo, do try the recipes

@Bawss1: I agree 100%
Re: Moin Moin- Made Easy by JeSoul(f): 2:42pm On Jul 25, 2011
Labalaba & others,

have any of you tried using the packaged 'Akara or Moin-moin Powder? I almost bought it to try yday but don't want to waste $5 lol.

Re: Moin Moin- Made Easy by Nobody: 3:58pm On Jul 25, 2011
JeSoul:

Labalaba & others,

have any of you tried using the packaged 'Akara or Moin-moin Powder? I almost bought it to try yday but don't want to waste $5 lol.
I usually don't use moi moi powder because of the brownish color it usually has, this one looks pretty neat though. If you do try it let you know how it turns out.
Re: Moin Moin- Made Easy by JeSoul(f): 4:50pm On Jul 25, 2011
Okay thanks. I will smiley
Re: Moin Moin- Made Easy by armyofone(m): 6:32pm On Jul 25, 2011
ummm, like western countries havent done enough killing me with package food grin
i havent tried it, prefer washing my own beans with my original small mortar and pestle grin mom packed into my suitcase grin
Re: Moin Moin- Made Easy by MissyB3(f): 8:54pm On Jul 25, 2011
armyofone:

ummm, like western countries havent done enough killing me with package food  grin
i havent tried it, prefer washing my own beans with my original small mortar and pestle  grin mom packed into my suitcase  grin
Likewise
Re: Moin Moin- Made Easy by Nobody: 12:31pm On Jul 26, 2011
@armyofone: Washing from scratch is definitely the ideal choice for most, it's always nice to have that option of packaged food when you are on a time crunch though.
Re: Moin Moin- Made Easy by buy1get2(m): 4:18pm On Jul 26, 2011
dats one of ma faaourites!!!
Re: Moin Moin- Made Easy by Nobody: 8:53pm On Jul 27, 2011
buy1get2:

dats one of ma favorites!!!

Same here
Breakfast = Moi moi + pap(ogi)
Lunch= Moi Moi + ijebu garri
Supper = moi moi + Eko.

Life is complete. lol.
Re: Moin Moin- Made Easy by armyofone(m): 4:06pm On Jul 28, 2011
tried it 2 days ago, came out well. only problem, no measurement so i ended up with lots of left over beans
thanks OP for posting. i'm running late will post a question later wink

(1) (2) (Reply)

Must Read! Amazing Benefits Of Sesame Seed(beni Seed) Oil / How To Make PIZZA In Your Kitchen Plus(+) RECIPE / The Best Peppery Jollof Rice Recipe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.