Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,864 members, 7,817,560 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:22 PM

Favour Ofili Beats Abby Steiner. Wins 100m, 200m And 4x100m - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Favour Ofili Beats Abby Steiner. Wins 100m, 200m And 4x100m (18511 Views)

Birmingham 2022: Nigeria Wins Gold In The Women's 4x100m Relay, Makes History / 19-year-old Favour Ofili Breaks Okagbare’s 200m Record / Zidane: I Will Only Take Chelsea Job If They Give Me £200m And Keep Hazard (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Favour Ofili Beats Abby Steiner. Wins 100m, 200m And 4x100m by naptu2: 8:09am On May 15, 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gw4gPuIsTU
Video of the 200 metres race

Favour Ofili shines as LSU wins six events at SEC championships; Tigers women take third, men seventh

BY SHELDON MICKLES | STAFF WRITER
[i]PUBLISHED MAY 14, 2022 AT 9:07 PM | UPDATED MAY 14, 2022 AT 10:00 PM

The LSU women's track and field team came up a little short in the race for the team title Saturday night at the Southeastern Conference outdoor championships.

But if coach Dennis Shaver could have somehow squeezed just one more race out of sprint sensation Favour Ofili, the Tigers probably would have come away with the biggest trophy from the meet held in Oxford, Mississippi.

Ofili scorched the Ole Miss track while winning the 100 and 200 meters, and running second leg on the Tigers' winning 4x100-meter relay.

The sophomore's gallant effort came up just short, however, when Florida pulled ahead over the final two events to claim the women's title with 107 points.

Arkansas was second with 103 points and LSU was third with 96½, while Kentucky (85) and Texas A&M (74) rounded out the top five.

Arkansas won the men's crown with 121 points while Alabama took second with 116. Tennessee (84), Florida (78) and Georgia (75) completed the top five. LSU was seventh with 70.

With Ofili scoring 22½ points by herself, LSU held a 1½-point advantage over Florida with 19 of 21 events in the books.

But the Gators got a second-place finish from Parker Valby in the 5,000 meters and clinched the title with a fifth-place effort from its 4x400 relay team to hold off Arkansas.

Ofili was one of the big stars when she outdueled Kentucky's Abby Steiner in the two short sprints after teaming with Alia Armstrong, Tionna Beard-Brown and Thelma Davies to win the 4x100 relay over Kentucky. They ran in a season's-best time of 42.59 seconds, while Kentucky ran a 42.63. It was the sixth win in a row for LSU in the event at the SEC meet.

Ofili later came back to win the 100 in 10.93 seconds while running into a slight headwind. That tied her personal record that she set in the LSU Invitational on April 30.

It was the 21st title in the event for the LSU women in 41 SEC championship meets. Steiner was second in 11.02 seconds.

Later, Ofili got the best of Steiner once again in the 200. Ofili, the collegiate record holder at 21.96 seconds, won with a 22.04 while Steiner settled for second at 22.07.

Armstrong provided the fourth win of the day for LSU in the 100-meter hurdles when she won with a slightly wind-aided time of 12.46 seconds.

Rival Grace Stark of Florida, who won the NCAA indoor 60-meter hurdles, fell while going over the sixth of 10 hurdles, but Armstrong had a clear lead by then and coasted home.

The men's team had two wins Saturday as Eric Edwards Jr. made it a sweep for the Tigers in the short hurdles and Sean Bodie-Dixon took the triple jump crown.

Edwards won the 110 hurdles with a PR of 13.28 seconds, and Bodie-Dixon took the triple jump with a best of 53 feet, 8¼ inches.

Teammate Apalos Edwards gave LSU a 1-2 finish in the triple jump when he popped a personal-best 53-3½ on his final attempt to better his old PR by nearly 2½ feet.

The LSU women had two runner-up finishes Saturday as Lisa Gunnarsson was second in the pole vault at 14-7¼, and Michaela Rose ran a strong race in the 800 final to post a personal-best time of 2 minutes, 02.49 seconds.

Rose's time bumped the freshman up from ninth to seventh on LSU's all-time list in the event.

Katy-Ann McDonald was third in the 1,500 meters, with her time of 4:12.30 bettering her old school record of 4:13.07 that she set at the Bryan Clay Invitational last month.

McDonald also finished fourth in the 800 (2:03.09) and Amber Hart was fourth in the discus (176-3).

Back on the men's side, Dorian Camel produced a pair of third-place finishes in the short sprints. His time of 10.11 seconds in the 100 was slightly better than his old PR of 10.13, but it moved him from 10th to seventh on LSU's all-time list.

He later was third in the 200 with a 20.43.

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_dac8fa72-d3cd-11ec-b04a-1fa6b0aa1c0c.html

Video of the 100 metres race

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUsGHaHLliY

Interview after the race

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYXBGJcylcI

Picture 1: LSU sprinter Favour Ofili competes at the SEC championships Saturday in Oxford, Miss.

15 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Favour Ofili Beats Abby Steiner. Wins 100m, 200m And 4x100m by EmptyGarden(m): 8:24am On May 15, 2022
Chai! See my pikin! This is lovely. America for like convert this one.

16 Likes

Re: Favour Ofili Beats Abby Steiner. Wins 100m, 200m And 4x100m by Venerable612(m): 8:40am On May 15, 2022
This is a society that values Athletes.

I was on a bolt trip with a Pakistani driver last week.
Man was literally telling me about how Nigerians are some of the most talented people in the world but we have a sh**ty government. He knew so much about Buhari and Jonathan.

Imagine if Nigeria had a society like the US and UK, we will literally dominate the whole world; Sport, Music, Science, Arts, Commerce - with abundant natural and Human Resources.

But lack of foresight, with greed and selfishness will not allow.

I believe some of you reading this are leaders of today and tomorrow, I REALLY HOPE YOU DO BETTER.

81 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Favour Ofili Beats Abby Steiner. Wins 100m, 200m And 4x100m by Sunnybabe(m): 8:40am On May 15, 2022
Kudos to her

1 Like

Re: Favour Ofili Beats Abby Steiner. Wins 100m, 200m And 4x100m by micronut(m): 8:40am On May 15, 2022
Congratulations Iya Ofili Gangaaa... More wins

By the way I have a good plot of land to sell in Ibadan ọo. Check my signature for the picture and contact me.
Re: Favour Ofili Beats Abby Steiner. Wins 100m, 200m And 4x100m by jeff1993: 8:42am On May 15, 2022
Please Favor Biko port to USA ooo .... Leave Niger alone maka your own good!!

6 Likes

Re: Favour Ofili Beats Abby Steiner. Wins 100m, 200m And 4x100m by Blackestjunior(m): 8:43am On May 15, 2022
Hustle ooo
Re: Favour Ofili Beats Abby Steiner. Wins 100m, 200m And 4x100m by Cmanforall: 8:45am On May 15, 2022
Nice

Op, what is LSU?
Lagos State University? grin

Venerable612:

Man was literally telling me about how Nigerians are some of the most talented people in the world but we have a sh**ty government. He knew so much about Buhari and Jonathan.

Imagine if Nigeria had a society like the US and UK, we will literally dominate the whole world.

But lack of foresight, with greed and selfishness will not allow. SMH

In most Sports.

How can a country with over 200million not be winning gold in 100m 200m during World championships ?
A country where citizens run from Boko Haram, Unknown gun men and bandits?

6 Likes

Re: Favour Ofili Beats Abby Steiner. Wins 100m, 200m And 4x100m by Alexandersantos(m): 8:46am On May 15, 2022
My crush
Re: Favour Ofili Beats Abby Steiner. Wins 100m, 200m And 4x100m by NNTR: 8:47am On May 15, 2022
Three things.
- If Favour were to be as tall as Abby Steiner, they's no way that Abby would stand a chance of catching Favour or even beating her
- Favour has the typical Naiyja religiosity spirit. Nothing bad in that though
- Favour not answering questions, but stressing that her performances are all down to God, couldn't let us hear and know how much her accent has changed since her relocation to the States

Personal text: Jesus is not a theologian. He is God who told stories.
Re: Favour Ofili Beats Abby Steiner. Wins 100m, 200m And 4x100m by DamianX: 8:47am On May 15, 2022
Nice one from the south south girl

1 Like

Re: Favour Ofili Beats Abby Steiner. Wins 100m, 200m And 4x100m by bignero: 8:51am On May 15, 2022
Venerable612:

Imagine if Nigeria had a society like the US and UK, we will literally dominate the whole world.

But lack of foresight, with greed and selfishness will not allow. SMH

If Nigeria had a government like ghana, it would be a super power in Africa for starters..

Leave this giant of Africa bulsshit talk...

3 Likes

Re: Favour Ofili Beats Abby Steiner. Wins 100m, 200m And 4x100m by OgunkeelAllMod: 8:52am On May 15, 2022
Grace dey on that girl o..more long stride on the way to limelight,young lady cool.. Delta dey produce athlete Sha...their girls no dey kuku get yansh like most Kilimanjaro yorroba girls yansh wey full everywhere.atleast we get one good news today.naija sef

2 Likes

Re: Favour Ofili Beats Abby Steiner. Wins 100m, 200m And 4x100m by samista: 8:52am On May 15, 2022
Igbo Amaka

7 Likes

Re: Favour Ofili Beats Abby Steiner. Wins 100m, 200m And 4x100m by SEGLIZ: 8:53am On May 15, 2022
Congrats to her, more sprint energy, wins and laurel to her credit.
Re: Favour Ofili Beats Abby Steiner. Wins 100m, 200m And 4x100m by naptu2: 8:55am On May 15, 2022
naptu2:
I remember when it used to be a very big deal. Every weekend Nigerians would wait in eager anticipation to hear about the feats of their track superstars in Europe and the Americas. The track and field athletes even got more publicity than the footballers (they were the first to shine in the international leagues). That's a long time ago now. That was the 1980s and early 1990s. Nobody pays attention anymore.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Favour Ofili Beats Abby Steiner. Wins 100m, 200m And 4x100m by Venerable612(m): 8:59am On May 15, 2022
bignero:

If Nigeria had a government like ghana, it would be a super power in Africa for starters..

Leave this giant of Africa bulsshit talk...

May be, but They’ve got a sh**ty government too. They have debt crises and high inflation compare to earnings.

The only issues they probably don’t have is insecurity and nepotism.

1 Like

Re: Favour Ofili Beats Abby Steiner. Wins 100m, 200m And 4x100m by dododawa1: 9:05am On May 15, 2022
Venerable612:

Imagine if Nigeria had a society like the US and UK, we will literally dominate the whole world; Sport, Music, Science, Arts, Commerce - with abundant natural and Human Resources.

I believe some of you reading this are leaders of today and tomorrow, I REALLY HOPE YOU DO BETTER.
Nothing will changed until we removed NORTHERN from Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Favour Ofili Beats Abby Steiner. Wins 100m, 200m And 4x100m by ajekpaks(m): 9:05am On May 15, 2022
nice
Re: Favour Ofili Beats Abby Steiner. Wins 100m, 200m And 4x100m by Eriokanmi: 9:10am On May 15, 2022
jeff1993:
Please Favor Biko port to USA ooo .... Leave Niger alone maka your own good!!
She's here to stay and make us proud. She wasn't discovered in or by Americans.

Nigerians are born great globally but with bad leadership. We will get it right soonest, don't worry cheesy
Re: Favour Ofili Beats Abby Steiner. Wins 100m, 200m And 4x100m by Ilaje1: 9:11am On May 15, 2022
Graceman444:
Good one grin cool
Kizz Daniel Hits The croud harder as he performs his latest song Buga in O2 Arena London---(Davido and Wizkid surprises Kiss Daniel on stage)

Watch video below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKzhLSknAts

That's not O2 arena but big up to him. However stop click baiting, Davido and Wizkid were not there, at least not in your video.
Re: Favour Ofili Beats Abby Steiner. Wins 100m, 200m And 4x100m by money121(m): 9:12am On May 15, 2022
Ok
Re: Favour Ofili Beats Abby Steiner. Wins 100m, 200m And 4x100m by bignero: 9:12am On May 15, 2022
Venerable612:

May be, but They’ve got a sh**ty government too. They have debt crises and high inflation compare to earnings.

The only issues they probably don’t have is insecurity and nepotism.

Yes

The point is if Nigeria government put in a pint of effort.. Yes most governments worldwide are corrupt, America etc all corrupt.

So ghana government is corrupt, but they make efforts trust me.. Nigeria government... Devils incarnate..
Re: Favour Ofili Beats Abby Steiner. Wins 100m, 200m And 4x100m by backtalkG(m): 9:13am On May 15, 2022
Graceman444:
Good one grin cool
Kizz Daniel Hits The croud harder as he performs his latest song Buga in O2 Arena London---(Davido and Wizkid surprises Kiss Daniel on stage)

Watch video below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKzhLSknAts
so where wizkid and davido surprised him in that video?
Re: Favour Ofili Beats Abby Steiner. Wins 100m, 200m And 4x100m by MumuAFONJA: 9:15am On May 15, 2022
Afonjas are still mining skulls,can't relate grin grin
Re: Favour Ofili Beats Abby Steiner. Wins 100m, 200m And 4x100m by JubrinElSudan: 9:19am On May 15, 2022
Nice one! If she "keeps her head on ground", she's good to beat the Jamaicans to become World and Olympic champion. She should watch what she take to avoid another Blessing Okagbare's case

3 Likes

Re: Favour Ofili Beats Abby Steiner. Wins 100m, 200m And 4x100m by Seredebe: 9:24am On May 15, 2022
Venerable612:

A Pakistani insulting Nigerian government and you kept mute?

Pakistan is worse than Zamfara state

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Mikel Arteta: Aubameyang Must Commit Future To Arsenal To Remain Captain / "I Will Leave Barcelona at the end of the season" - Xavi Hernandes / Nigeria Is Only Now 90 Minutes Away From Russia 2018 World Cup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.