Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,929 members, 7,814,156 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 07:57 AM

Ever Had Your Vehicle Stolen, Or Broken Into? - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Ever Had Your Vehicle Stolen, Or Broken Into? (10402 Views)

Remotely Follow Your Vehicle Repairs Online / FRSC - Items You Must Have In Your Vehicle Always / KNOW YOUR VEHICLE-STOLEN OR SALVAGED? CAVEAT EMPTOR (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ever Had Your Vehicle Stolen, Or Broken Into? by Daniel058(m): 8:01pm On Apr 16, 2016
tEsLim:
around 5:30 Oshodi / Challenge going towards Gbadada. Was on the curb side. There where these poorly dressed thugs/beggers. I actually taught they are beggers. There was traffic; normally I'm very observant when on the road. I notied that someone threw out lots of money from his car like 4cars away at the front. But taught maybe he was praised or some popular Owambe guy that just wanted to spray the thugs money.

Then it came to my turn they first acted like beggers and I waived them like I dont have money (because usually i dont give beggers money its shit , i dont 4ucking wind down to do that shit , ) the next thing the guy just changed started hitting my window hard when I loooked again this time he was flashing me a gun shocked , I had 30k in my back pocket and N500 in my wallet lol , and normally in such traffic i do clear my car dont have mobile phones around in visible area. So I showed him my empty wallet with N500 wind down a litle then gave him he took it first. I had a big chain on my neck but he didn't notice i guess but then the rest of them blocked me in the front and was now demanding that i get out of the car and where tryna force open the car. But luckily for me the traffic have moved by then i looked forward and just speed off and drove into the middle part. I'll never drive in the sides whenever in Oshodi traffic again!!! Always middle!

Surprising thing is that everybody in the traffic pretended they didn't see what just happened to me sad but I was lucky still N500 ,
sharp guy.
Re: Ever Had Your Vehicle Stolen, Or Broken Into? by Nobody: 9:35pm On Apr 16, 2016
Wow! This thread is back to life...

Mine was in 2010. Honda Academy (98). Went to church in Karu, with my then GF and my brother. It was a few weeks to my POP as a corper. After mass, came out to where I supposedly parked my car and I was stunned to see in its place a 504 saloon car. I thought I was making a mistake till my brother screamed, bros where's your car?! Omo! I developed goose bumps immediately. Luckily, my dad attended same mass with me and where he parked wasn't far from where I parked previously. So i immediately rushed to inform him about the car theft and together we rushed to the Karu police station. I worte my statement and they asked if I had any security in the car... I informed them that my car was tracked and I also had a demobilizer installed. For some reasons the tracker refused to respond to commands that day. I went with the police to as far as Keffi to search for the car to no avail. I called the tracker installer who promised to try to track it from his location in Lagos. I gave up on the car and wrote it off as a loss. A nice clean car with chrome alloys and my NYSC khaki uniform inside.

Two nights later, at 2am, my phone's started receiving SMS messages. I was pissed because I was wondering who would be sending series of text messages at that ungodly hour. Picked up my phone and it was my car tracker responding to my SMS commands from Sunday. Guess where my car was? Jos!
I immediately called my dad and informed him. He was able to call the Plateau Police commissioner, who sleepily dismissed him with the usual we will look into it talk.
8am that morning, we drove to the Karu police station. Informed the DCO about the new information and asked that he assigns two men to accompany us as we were going same day to Jos yo retrieve the car. The DCO and one officer joined us in our SUV with their guns, also dressed in multi as we immediately headed to Jos. Before then I had printed out a map of the exact location which was opposite the UniJos old campus, thanks to Google earth maps. We got to Jos around 1pm and after some driving around, we were able to locate the area on the map. Entered the street which had an untarred road, blocked the street with the Land cruiser and started looking out for the car. Then we saw it.... sitting out with one dude in the driver's seat all wound down. My number plate changed, my chrome rims gone and replaced with regular rims and wheel cover. In fact the car looked like it just arrived from cotonou. We succeeded in arresting the dude in the car and I drove the car same day back to Abuja. In all of that, the Plateau state police was not involved and despite the numerous army check points on the road, nobody asked questions.

I've never forgotten that experience. In sold off the car before I travelled out for my Masters.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ever Had Your Vehicle Stolen, Or Broken Into? by Nobody: 9:54pm On Apr 16, 2016
Wow, Josh. I'm sorry your car was taken, but glad you got it back, albeit with steel wheels and plastic hubcaps.

Better you moved on too, I've no doubt God rewarded you, and you moved on to bigger and better cars. Yes, cars, not just 1. Thieves like the one who stole your car never prosper, and hard work always pays. smiley

1 Like

Re: Ever Had Your Vehicle Stolen, Or Broken Into? by ataspray(m): 8:56am On Apr 17, 2016
Seun:
You maimed a kid for life because he wanted to steal your car? Check yourself man. It's just a car.
i find this comment very funny
my experience
i had woken up around 2am in the night (i'm an owl and i like being awake at ungodly hours, to reflect, pray, exercise etc) looked thru my balcony and noticed the inside light of my corolla was on and some funny movements in d car. (we live in those estates that have no fence) immediately i knew something was wrong, there was also no sign of my dog. i got my dads mossberg and went out to investigate. the burglar/thief on sighting me attempted to flee, but i shot at him, and his side was blown open. turned out this unlucky thief had poisoned my dog, and was going to steal most panels of my car. I have no regrets doing what i had to do,that car was not even insured yet, and i lost my beautiful and expensive rottweiler, i will protect my life and properties by any means possible, especially when the nigerian police are not about to do that for me

1 Like

Re: Ever Had Your Vehicle Stolen, Or Broken Into? by Nobody: 10:03am On Apr 17, 2016
ataspray:

i find this comment very funny
my experience
i had woken up around 2am in the night (i'm an owl and i like being awake at ungodly hours, to reflect, pray, exercise etc) looked thru my balcony and noticed the inside light of my corolla was on and some funny movements in d car. (we live in those estates that have no fence) immediately i knew something was wrong, there was also no sign of my dog. i got my dads mossberg and went out to investigate. the burglar/thief on sighting me attempted to flee, but i shot at him, and his side was blown open. turned out this unlucky thief had poisoned my dog, and was going to steal most panels of my car. I have no regrets doing what i had to do,that car was not even insured yet, and i lost my beautiful and expensive rottweiler, i will protect my life and properties by any means possible, especially when the nigerian police are not about to do that for me

Sorry to read this bro. I was especially saddened by the wilful destruction of a beautiful animal. I have no sympathy for the guy you shot.
Re: Ever Had Your Vehicle Stolen, Or Broken Into? by Nobody: 1:51pm On Apr 17, 2016
@Siena, it was such an unforgettable experience. Yes thankfully I've moved on to other better cars and I'm more cautious of where and when I park. I haven't lost faith in car trackers too.

Nigeria has a lot of determined crooks sha..
Re: Ever Had Your Vehicle Stolen, Or Broken Into? by bravolad(m): 3:53pm On Apr 17, 2016
There should be no sympathy for scumbags in whatever guise.

My experience was sometime in 2006. I had lived with a cousin of mine for a couple of months shortly after my NYSC. I got an apartment in Aguda & told my Manager who was using a Nissan Quest to allow me use her vehicle to move some of my things to the new apartment.

She accepted & asked me to come to her house the following day to pick the vehicle. By this time, I had only lived in Lagos for a little over 2 months. I got to her house in Ajao Estate at the appointed time, we had a brief discussion & I drove off. Whilst handing her car key to me; she had warned me to guard the key with my life to which we had a laugh. Somewhere around Oshodi/Isolo express way, she called to inform me that she had ₦250,000.00 in the glove compartment. Wow! I screamed. Why didn't you remove it? I queried. Her response was that she forgot. I said ok! No problem. So I became very cautious knowing I cannot make a stop anywhere except at my destination. Of course that revelation made me to ensure that all doors are locked.

I got to Mile 2 bridge & there was traffic. So I stayed in the traffic while thinking about the money in the van. All of a sudden, there was a loud sound on the passenger's side of the glass. I looked up & two men pointed a gun at me & asked me to wind down. I immediately glanced at my rear mirror and noticed that another guy was coming towards my side. I thought about the money; the car & the stern warning to make sure the car is safe. Within a split second the traffic moved; I depressed the gas pedal as fast as I could & with all the strength I could muster. The car lunged forward. Goosebumps filled my body, I was sweating as much as I was panting.

I was lost for words to explain what happened to my cousin & friends when I got to his house. That incident became an eye opener to me. Constantly, I study my driving environment even when I'm stationary, I use my mirrors & observe things. And of course, I also learned not to switch off my ignition when on an unfamiliar environment.

I may not have been able to replace that van then as well as the money. How could I have explained to her that it was taken at gun point?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ever Had Your Vehicle Stolen, Or Broken Into? by laivwire(m): 8:27pm On Apr 19, 2016
Ive got several stories but Ill share one. I was returning from the mechanics shop that night and unknown to me he didn't tighten the nut on the front passenger tyre of the car. During an attempt to overtake at top speed, the tyre vibrated hard and flew up spinning and bouncing till it crashed into a parked vehicle.

I managed to bring the car to a stop on the bank of the road amid sparks and grinding on the pavement. I left the car and went to look for help. Upon return, I saw the right passenger window smashed, the bonnet open and the rear seats tampered with. Radio, battery, Speakers and tyres(with the wheels) gone.

crazy experience I tell you
Re: Ever Had Your Vehicle Stolen, Or Broken Into? by ataspray(m): 5:48pm On Apr 23, 2016
Siena:

Sorry to read this bro. I was especially saddened by the wilful destruction of a beautiful animal. I have no sympathy for the guy you shot.
Thanks siena.
Re: Ever Had Your Vehicle Stolen, Or Broken Into? by adinoyiM(m): 1:59am On Jul 03, 2016
Wow....brave man!
Re: Ever Had Your Vehicle Stolen, Or Broken Into? by diportivo: 8:17am On Jul 03, 2016
2008.....sept 9,...9:35pm

Drove into ajisegiri street at ladipo busstop on the agege motor road.was to go drop my brother's 08 Camry (18 inch alloy,pioneer DVD,etc)

Negotiated a bend and suddenly was blinded by the full beam of a hyundai cerato,sitting in my lane... I initially thought the guy wanted to make a left turn and dat me not allowing him the right of way was why we were now facing each other

I flipped to reverse, eased back a little for the iiidiot to make his turn,only for him to follow me at a steady pace.

My mind just told me they are robbers...ah!new car!na my elder brother get am oh!wetin I go talk!!!

Dats how I slammed the throttle o....full speed behind!!it was night,I was at a disadvantage reversing,and dey at an advantage just driving forward so twas easy for them to stay on my trail

I lost control of the car,almost careened in the gutter,and den decided not to reverse anymore......dat I wld face dem and see what wld happen......

Didn't bring the car to a complete stop before flipping to drive and bam!.the engine died!!

While I was trying to restart,fiddling with shifting the gear lever to park etc,there was a knock on the drivers door,and a stern warning for me not to try anything funny,and dat I shld come down

Unlocked d car,got down,and was given a resounding slap.......leader if the gang,holding a shotgun said.."you are maad!u wan run abi?....oya,enta d back sit"

I was pushed into the car,leader sat in d front passenger seat,a dude took over d driving

The kia followed us at the back,and they jacked anoda 08 corolla on church street...towards apapa expressway that same night.....in fact, while I was praying for my life in the back seat,and consoling myself dat I won't die since the guy didn't shoot and dat might mean there isn't any bullet in it,he had to shoot at the corolla driver to scare him off....right there and den,I told myself dat the end has come...since there's bullet in the gun,dis dude will kill me

To cut the long story short,oda drivers were released but not me.....the dude driving took my fone and flash drive.they were in d front pocket.he was in a hurry and didn't check my back pocket where I was sitting on 15k dat night

Leader of the gang kept calling his wife on fone,updating her on his journey and how God has blessed their job for the night...he uncoupled his gun (I heard it all as I was made to bend down) and was smoking weed in d car

I was dropped off at ijaniki,just b4 a police checkpoint which was mounted In front of a police station

When I found my way there the first policeman I saw queried why I didn't raise alarm as soon as they dropped me .......dumbo!

I was in tears....new car....to go drop it some 10mins away and here I was,a looong way from home and d car had been stolen!!

I can't forget that day,nor the events....icldv been killed...I was just lucky

The car was Neva seen....I went to three different police stations dat night just to make statements..radio this radio that,blah blah blah...Nada!

Insurance paid tho......and while dat put a sort of end to the matter, I was paranoid for years after dat

Suspecting every funny movement grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ever Had Your Vehicle Stolen, Or Broken Into? by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:45am On Jul 03, 2016
diportivo:

Drove into ajisegiri street at ladipo busstop on the agege motor road.was to go drop my brother's 08 Camry (18 inch alloy,pioneer DVD,etc)

Negotiated a bend and suddenly was blinded by the full beam of a hyundai cerato,sitting in my lane... I initially thought the guy wanted to make a left turn and dat me not allowing him the right of way was why we were now facing each other

I flipped to reverse, eased back a little for the iiidiot to make his turn,only for him to follow me at a steady pace.

My mind just told me they are robbers...ah!new car!na my elder brother get am oh!wetin I go talk!!!

Dats how I slammed the throttle o....full speed behind!!it was night,I was at a disadvantage reversing,and dey at an advantage just driving forward so twas easy for them to stay on my trail

I lost control of the car,almost careened in the gutter,and den decided not to reverse anymore......dat I wld face dem and see what wld happen......

Didn't bring the car to a complete stop before flipping to drive and bam!.the engine died!!

While I was trying to restart,fiddling with shifting the gear lever to park etc,there was a knock on the drivers door,and a stern warning for me not to try anything funny,and dat I shld come down

Unlocked d car,got down,and was given a resounding slap.......leader if the gang,holding a shotgun said.."you are maad!u wan run abi?....oya,enta d back sit"

I was pushed into the car,leader sat in d front passenger seat,a dude took over d driving

The kia followed us at the back,and they jacked anoda 08 corolla on church street...towards apapa expressway that same night.....in fact, while I was praying for my life in the back seat,and consoling myself dat I won't die since the guy didn't shoot and dat might mean there isn't any bullet in it,he had to shoot at the corolla driver to scare him off....right there and den,I told myself dat the end has come...since there's bullet in the gun,dis dude will kill me

To cut the long story short,oda drivers were released but not me.....the dude driving took my fone and flash drive.they were in d front pocket.he was in a hurry and didn't check my back pocket where I was sitting on 15k dat night

Leader of the gang kept calling his wife on fone,updating her on his journey and how God has blessed their job for the night...he uncoupled his gun (I heard it all as I was made to bend down) and was smoking weed in d car

I was dropped off at ijaniki,just b4 a police checkpoint which was mounted In front of a police station

When I found my way there the first policeman I saw queried why I didn't raise alarm as soon as they dropped me .......dumbo!

I was in tears....new car....to go drop it some 10mins away and here I was,a looong way from home and d car had been stolen!!

The car was Neva seen....I went to three different police stations dat night just to make statements..radio this radio that,blah blah blah...Nada!

Insurance paid tho......and while dat put a sort of end to the matter, I was paranoid for years after dat

in my university days I was very good at this www.nairaland.com/attachments/3919862_images11_jpeg0a11a8ec37620e47e4feab56245e56df

It might have come in handy, would have scared the shit out of the robbers, you might have gotten shot at also grin

2 Likes

Re: Ever Had Your Vehicle Stolen, Or Broken Into? by diportivo: 9:26am On Jul 03, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

in my university days I was very good at this www.nairaland.com/attachments/3919862_images11_jpeg0a11a8ec37620e47e4feab56245e56df

It might have come in handy, would have scared the shit out of the robbers, you might have gotten shot at also grin

My oga

Dem no born me well make I try dat kind thing

grin grin
Re: Ever Had Your Vehicle Stolen, Or Broken Into? by blackfm: 10:35am On Jul 03, 2016
Crazy experiences here. I'll relate one that happened to my dad in 2002. He set out from Akure at about 6pm in his brilliant white 1985 Benz 230 bound for Lagos with about 1.5m he had withdrawn from the bank earlier in the day. He met a friend at FUTA north gate( on the expressway) as pre arranged to get some document he'll need for his mission. It was going to be a quick exchange so he was in the car with the engine running talking to the friend who was leaning into the passenger window. Next thing he felt was cold metal pressed to his neck. They told him to come down and lie down and sped off with the car. He just showed up at home around 8pm with 2 bottles or red wine and suya and said he was postponing his trip. We were grooving when my mum realised nobody went to open the gate for him to drive in. That was when we got to know what happened. A friend of his who was travelling down to Akure saw the car at Ore going at breakneck speed and was calling my dad to caution him. wink
The way my brother and I loved that car though, it never had reason to go to a car wash, not if we were in the house even though we couldn't drive.
It was never recovered. Bossman just went to lag with his driver 3 weeks after and came back with a carina e for mum and a padded v boot for himself. I wan be like u when I grow I go big pass u when I grow grin
Re: Ever Had Your Vehicle Stolen, Or Broken Into? by blackfm: 11:01am On Jul 03, 2016
My personal experience is a break-in. Just last 3 thursdays ago 16 June, my 05 corolla was broken into and the usual 4 power window control and brainbox were stolen with the small back window smashed. The savages even took the brainbox hangar by breaking the damn thing off the plastic casing with a fanlike stuff where the hanger was screwed. So I can't use the hanger I got and I don't want to leave the new brainbox dangling. I'm thinking of using ribbit (if that's what it's called) to hold the brainbox to the chassis, no more stealing that way.
Re: Ever Had Your Vehicle Stolen, Or Broken Into? by GAZZUZZ(m): 11:30am On Jul 03, 2016
blackfm:
My personal experience is a break-in. Just last 3 thursdays ago 16 June, my 05 corolla was broken into and the usual 4 power window control and brainbox were stolen with the small back window smashed. The savages even took the brainbox hangar by breaking the damn thing off the plastic casing with a fanlike stuff where the hanger was screwed. So I can't use the hanger I got and I don't want to leave the new brainbox dangling. I'm thinking of using ribbit (if that's what it's called) to hold the brainbox to the chassis, no more stealing that way.

weld it in like a cross.
Re: Ever Had Your Vehicle Stolen, Or Broken Into? by Specialist900(m): 12:06pm On Jul 03, 2016
See shocking stories o shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked.
Re: Ever Had Your Vehicle Stolen, Or Broken Into? by Nobody: 12:20pm On Jul 03, 2016
I have no regrets, with regards to my actions all those years ago, that cost a thief a leg. I would do it again, if the same guy crossed my path, and attempted to rob me, again, I would make sure he lost the other leg.

1 Like

Re: Ever Had Your Vehicle Stolen, Or Broken Into? by Nobody: 12:36pm On Jul 03, 2016
cchioke:
mine was traumatising, i woke up one morning sometimes in oct2010 to see that only chasis left of my rav4 2003,they totally skinned the car only chairs and chasis left, i felt so bad it took off me around 320k to come out of the shit,i now intrioduced 2 german dogs that cost me 35k each, but they were 2 months old then,after a week woke up one morning to discover that the dogs are no more,i was like men what kind of enviroment is this,i still moved on 2 weeks later my wife called me on phone around 5pm to intimate me that our stupid house girl allowed a stranger to come into our aprtment and convinced her that she was sent by my wife,any way to cut the long stories short her gold,trinkets bracelets choice clothings shoes laptop went with the pregnant stranger,immediatly i got home i relocted my family to anoda location the next morning, till i finally moved out of that shit in dec is traumatising

I just had to quote this for posterity. The highlighted portion particularly made me chuckle.
Re: Ever Had Your Vehicle Stolen, Or Broken Into? by lukaino(m): 12:45pm On Jul 03, 2016
Very informative thread!
I had my own car burglary experience on Friday 1st July in Lagos. I had gone for a night vigil in a church in the Ogba area. I parked in a supposedly open, well lit place.
By 5am when I came out, I found that my rear window (2008 Corolla), was broken, door opened and all four power window controls were missing. On close observation, I discovered the bonnet open but nothing was taken.
I started the car and drove home.
Spent almost 30k for replacements from Ladipo.

See the pictures below.
Re: Ever Had Your Vehicle Stolen, Or Broken Into? by dotna(m): 2:38pm On Jul 03, 2016
diportivo:

All I can say is its well. God is on your side
Re: Ever Had Your Vehicle Stolen, Or Broken Into? by Specialist900(m): 3:28pm On Jul 03, 2016
Siena:
I have no regrets, with regards to my actions all those years ago, that cost a thief a leg. I would do it again, if the same guy crossed my path, and attempted to rob me, again, I would make sure he lost the other leg.
Hehehehehe
Re: Ever Had Your Vehicle Stolen, Or Broken Into? by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:13am On Jul 04, 2016
lukaino:
Very informative thread!
I had my own car burglary experience on Friday 1st July in Lagos. I had gone for a night vigil in a church in the Ogba area. I parked in a supposedly open, well lit place.
By 5am when I came out, I found that my rear window (2008 Corolla), was broken, door opened and all four power window controls were missing. On close observation, I discovered the bonnet open but nothing was taken.
I started the car and drove home.
Spent almost 30k for replacements from Ladipo.

See the pictures below.

this is a testimony grin, they saw the brainbox and left it alone (haleluyah!) guy epp your sef weld it in.

1 Like

Re: Ever Had Your Vehicle Stolen, Or Broken Into? by mrT: 8:07am On Jul 14, 2016
Dear Siena,
My Toyota corolla was vandalised with the ecu and other stuffs removed overnight, am having difficulties in selecting the right ecu, its a south african made toyota corolla, 2009 model, manual transmission and the vin no is:AHTLC58E70300831. tried a couple of ecu, but the car hasnt worked properly
Pls help.
Thanks
Taiwo

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Honda"evil Spirit"is This Name Given By The Manufacturer Or Users? / 9 Functional Ways To Keep Your Car In Top Condition / The PAJERO Club

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 111
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.