Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,085 members, 7,835,658 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 01:03 PM

Ever Had Your Vehicle Stolen, Or Broken Into? - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Ever Had Your Vehicle Stolen, Or Broken Into? (10420 Views)

Remotely Follow Your Vehicle Repairs Online / FRSC - Items You Must Have In Your Vehicle Always / KNOW YOUR VEHICLE-STOLEN OR SALVAGED? CAVEAT EMPTOR (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ever Had Your Vehicle Stolen, Or Broken Into? by Seun(m): 11:50am On Jul 16, 2011
You maimed a kid for life because he wanted to steal your car? Check yourself man. It's just a car.

2 Likes

Re: Ever Had Your Vehicle Stolen, Or Broken Into? by Nobody: 12:04pm On Jul 16, 2011
My girlfriend took one look at my set expression, and after I ignored her repeated questions, as to what had happened, lapsed into silence.

We got home, and after she took the shopping in, I inspected my car. The driver's door was badly buckled at the bottom, the sill plastic cover (skirt) was cracked in 3 places. There was a bit of torn jeans, and a horrible mess of I don't know what, stuck to the bottom of the door. Clearly, it would need a replacement, as well as a new skirt. The plastic cowling under the steering column was also broken, where our thief had ripped it off, without removing the screws. Of course, the door lock and handle were bust too.

Later in the evening, there was a knock at the door, it was of course, the police. I wasn't taken by surprise, as I'd been expecting them. I was more surprised it had taken them that long to track me down, via my car's registration plate. I ushered them in, and offered them tea, which they politely declined. One of them did request a glass of water, which I then gave her.
Re: Ever Had Your Vehicle Stolen, Or Broken Into? by Nobody: 12:15pm On Jul 16, 2011
The male police officer told me they'd been called by a "concerned member of the public", who'd witnessed my seriously injure a young man, who was now in hospital, and was it possible for them to get my own version of events?

I responded, that a young man had broken into my car, and during him trying to get away, had sustained an injury to his leg. I was not responsible. I was asked if I'd called for medical assistance. I replied I hadn't, as it looked like someone else had gotten there first, so there was no need for me to stay. I left. I was then asked, if I'd reported the alleged attempted theft of my car to the police? I responded no, as I had little faith in the police taking any action to track down a car thief. I'd called the police in the past, for burglary, and it never went past the taking-a-statement stage, so why would an attempted car theft be any different?

The female office, who'd been taking notes, looked hard at me. I stared right back. The male officer asked if I had anything else to add, I said no, I hadn't. They left, with the female officer telling me I may have to appear in court. I said sure, I'd be glad to see the thief in court. She said that was another case, that I would be appearing to answer charges levelled at me, aggravated bodily harm. I was stunned!
Re: Ever Had Your Vehicle Stolen, Or Broken Into? by Nobody: 12:20pm On Jul 16, 2011
Seun:

You maimed a kid for life because he wanted to steal your car? Check yourself man. It's just a car.

Yes, it was a car, my car, bought with my hard-earned money. I was still in uni, paying my way, and doing two part-time day jobs, as well as a night one. Why shouldn't I protect my property from a scumbag? Besides, my actions were pure reflex, he's still alive. I believe someone else on here states his Chairman shot a car-jacker dead. Some others here have also recounted various gory details. I balk at murder, but as for limbs?

They could get broken.

5 Likes

Re: Ever Had Your Vehicle Stolen, Or Broken Into? by Nobody: 12:37pm On Jul 16, 2011
Three months later, I appeared in court, after being charged with aggravated bodily harm. And for the first time since the attempted theft of my car, I saw the thief. He was sitting in a wheel chair, his right leg neatly amputated just below the knee. I never knew his leg was broken, and broken so badly, it had to be amputated. It was still in plaster. Our eyes met across the courtroom, and locked. He glared defiantly at me, and I glared right back. There were seven people with him, I presume family. The older woman was obviously his mother.

I was asked to take the stand, and state my name and and address. I gave them. I was also asked what I pleaded. I pleaded, not guilty. My lawyer was a duty solicitor, appointed by the court, so I didn't have much confidence in her. I was asked what had happened back three months ago, I recounted it all, just as I'd told the officers, one who was in court on this day.

The witness was asked to take the stand, and after the usual swearing of oath, surprised us all. Be said he wished to change his statement. The court was adjourned for fifteen minutes. When the court resumed, the witness stated he wasn't clear on the events of three months ago, that he'd been drunk. He was also on methadone, and was high. When asked if the person who had inflicted bodily harm on the young man in the wheelchair was in court, he couldn't pick me out, though his eyes settled on me quite a few times.

Two weeks later, the case collapsed, on insufficient evidence. A couple of good friends, and course mates came to see me. There had been a few "words", and of course, the testimony of a registered "drug addict" is insufficient to convict anyone. I learned a lesson though - it's best not to act on the spur of the moment, though I have no sympathy for my thief. It's a tough world out there, on the wrong side of the law.

3 Likes

Re: Ever Had Your Vehicle Stolen, Or Broken Into? by Nobody: 1:25pm On Jul 16, 2011
Seun:

Sorry,am with Siena on this one.
You need to protect your [property from these scum,by any means neccesary.
I told the gory story of how I lost my first car to four gun weilding scumbags. I had not even licensed the car,it was a traumatic experience for me.I worked my a$$ off to buy that car and under three minutes these punks took away my sweat and I never saw that car again.
For years I had nightmares of that incident,and I played it over and over in my mind.It got to an extent that my heart would skip a beat if I heard a car backfire cause it reminded me so much of the gunfire that morning.
Do you know what it feels like to have a gun shoved in your chest?
Look, even so many years later,Do you think if I ran into those punks right now and I had a gun,I wouldn't take them out.I wouldn't even bat an eyelid.
Bust forgiveness,the only language these S.O.Bs understand is an eye for an eye!
Re: Ever Had Your Vehicle Stolen, Or Broken Into? by Nobody: 9:26pm On Jul 16, 2011
Seun:

the fuckers who broke my windows were also kids

and you can be sure it's not the first or the last time they will do that

i have absolutely no sympathy for thieves who get their comeuppance - everyday for the thief, one day for the owner

siena just cut short a career of crime

there are some lasu boys in my neighbourhood. i recently heard some stuff which confirmed what i'd known subliminally - they are cult boys. r-ape girls, steal things. i know its just a short time before they consider kidnapping. give me an opportunity to pop them and end misery for a lot of people, and i will.

1 Like

Re: Ever Had Your Vehicle Stolen, Or Broken Into? by ITGuru3: 9:43pm On Jul 16, 2011
Vechicle Tracking with Movement Alert and Door Open Alert is the sure to prevent such incident.

Check our Thread Here for Details: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=376333.msg8715364#msg8715364

Or Visit our Website: http://www.hiphensolutions.com/track.html
Re: Ever Had Your Vehicle Stolen, Or Broken Into? by 5p1naz(m): 12:46am On Jul 17, 2011
[size=14pt]ok these stories are really scary, what has nigeria become. . . and me i no support @seun at all on this one. . . go siena! [/size]
Re: Ever Had Your Vehicle Stolen, Or Broken Into? by Pweety4me(f): 3:55am On Jul 17, 2011
O my dayzz Mr sienaa, u'll make a good story teller cheesy grin tongue

Na but seriously, na wa ooo shocked shocked dat was too harsh really. . .damn ur meannn but i guess it will teach him a long-life lesson
undecided
Re: Ever Had Your Vehicle Stolen, Or Broken Into? by Pweety4me(f): 4:04am On Jul 17, 2011
Ok just saw & read the rest of the story. . .hmmm that obviously is real business.

It's sad both ways, quite unfortunate his leg had to be amputated.

Gee & u guyz responses hmm.
Re: Ever Had Your Vehicle Stolen, Or Broken Into? by Nobody: 8:30am On Jul 17, 2011
@ Pweety: My busting his leg was purely reflex. I didn't even know his leg was broken, till I appeared in court. The police just used their usual big words, and never let on the real deal. Aggravated Bodily Harm could mean anything. I wouldn't deliberately injure a thief, unless I felt threatened.

Still, he learnt his lesson.
Re: Ever Had Your Vehicle Stolen, Or Broken Into? by oblo(m): 9:40am On Jul 17, 2011
Am very sure many of us saying that sienna was mean in trying to defend his property have never had a case like this. Fine this was just a "simple" case of carjacking but tell me, if that dude jacking sienas csr had a gun or advantage in "dexterity" over sienna it mite have been a case not favoring him. Like he said he dint even know he had broken the jackers leg that bad. Now let me pose the scenario @ u guys, if na u be sienna wetin u for do? Would u have stayed at a distance and let the scum take his time in messing ur car up ? Or just take a plastic fly swat and shout shoo scum shoo ? Abegi! All humans even Seun have instinct, survival instinct , and this instinct fueled by andrenalin kicks into auto drive purely on its own, wether u be pastor or a sat guru! It was just a car rite? But it mite have been a life one way or the other.
Re: Ever Had Your Vehicle Stolen, Or Broken Into? by dollypi(m): 11:40am On Jul 17, 2011
There are some things you learn the hard way, and some areas you learn to avoid at certain hours.

My experience was in 2008. I had gone out with my guys that night with the plan to crash at a friend's place in Ikoyi. At about 12am, I went to drop off my chick at Dolphin, gisted with her for about 2 hours before heading for my guy's place, but on getting to his house along Rumen street and calling his phone, the thing just kept ringing. Apparently, the guy was fast asleep.

Considering the fact that I was a little tipsy, and my own house was far off in Ajah, I decided to chill in front of his gate till morning since it was about 2am then.

Veeery bad decision!

I was asleep in my car, when around 5am, i heard a knock on my window. I opened my eyes, and saw a military looking guy signalling me to roll down my glass.

Foolishly, I did, and He asked me what I was doing in front of the house. As I was struggling to explain in my half-asleep state, he reached in, opened the car door, pointed a pistol at my head and barked "get out of the car or I will blow your head now!"

Omo, I woke-up sharp-sharp, got out and he then rapidly searched me, and my car.

While he was doing that, I considered jumping him, then I noticed that there was another guy on a bike waiting for the first guy, so I just held my peace.

Unfortunately for me, I had my new 300k Laptop that was barely 3 weeks old in the backseat of the car, containing a 3 month long project I was to submit on Monday. I had gotten the new laptop because the old one I had couldn't handle the heavy graphics.

He carried that, took the 4k in my wallet, pointed his gun at me and asked my to bring my keys. All this while it was as if I was watching everything from the sidelines. Surprisingly, he didn't take my e61i Nokia phone, probably too cheap for him.

I hand over my keys, then he told me to running the other direction,or " I will fire you now"!

Men I ran o! I heard him jump on the waiting bike,and ride off.

I was relieved he hadn't taken my car, but seriously, if not for my keys which he had taken, I would have chased him down with my car and crushed him to death.

I then jumped the fence into my friend's compound (which I should have done since), banged on his door till he opened it, and went back to sleep.

I later found my car keys on the main road the following morning after searching for about an hour, twisted and mangled by car wheels, but I was still able to start the car with it.

Since then, I never keep valuables in the car if I can afford not to, and what I do have to carry, I keep in the boot (trunk). They never seem to search the boot.

And of course, I never stay outside in my car anywhere late. Would rather get a room in a hotel somewhere or rough it out till I get to my house.

1 Like

Re: Ever Had Your Vehicle Stolen, Or Broken Into? by blank(f): 6:01pm On Jul 17, 2011
I av never been a victim of a carjacking, thank God. On the lighter side, when I was about 8, I went through a stage in which anything I laid my hands on will spoil. I was playing in my dad's benz and mistakenly removed the rear view mirror. It was so easy 2 remove but so difficult to put back. I gave up and dropped it on the dashboard.
When my dad came out, he was so sure that someone had tried to jack the car. He actually gave a testimony in Church. I felt really bad.

7 Likes

Re: Ever Had Your Vehicle Stolen, Or Broken Into? by igbsam(m): 8:37pm On Jul 17, 2011
I had my car snatched from me at gun point in lagos and taken to PH. by the mysterious ways of God, someone who has not seen d car before, sighted it cos i posted it on fb dat my car has been stolen and the picture and number of the car was on fb. Someone saw d car with the robbers in it, he immediately informed the police men and they were rounded up with the car after enough sporadic shooting. Trust Naija police na, they released all the robbers and were asking me to come pay some cash to get my car. I didn't appear, had to send some naval officers to go get it for me while i remain in lagos. I learnt those guys paid N2m to get themselves released and this idiots are still asking me to pay them for the bullets they used. Mschewwwwwwwwww! I still dont understand how these guys drove the car to d extent d damage was much. Even d back bumper was no where 2 be found.

Re: Ever Had Your Vehicle Stolen, Or Broken Into? by Nobody: 9:16pm On Jul 17, 2011
igbsam:

I learnt those guys paid N2m to get themselves released and this idiots are still asking me to pay them for the bullets they used. Mschewwwwwwwwww! I still dont understand how these guys drove the car to d extent d damage was much. Even d back bumper was no where 2 be found.

Some things in Nigeria will never change, and that's so sad!
Re: Ever Had Your Vehicle Stolen, Or Broken Into? by igbsam(m): 9:47pm On Jul 17, 2011
Siena:

Some things in Nigeria will never change, and that's so sad!
Am telling u, Recycling crime.
Re: Ever Had Your Vehicle Stolen, Or Broken Into? by lastpage: 1:48am On Jul 18, 2011
I guess some "O.C in-charge" had removed you bumper in an effort to use it to deflect bullets! grin
And the mechanic nearby paid a few quid for it! wink

Sorry about your experience.
The Police are one of is the major "Obstacle" to revamping this country,.,.,,, ,., and they carry guns! shocked
Re: Ever Had Your Vehicle Stolen, Or Broken Into? by Nobody: 6:07am On Jul 18, 2011
dollypi:

There are some things you learn the hard way, and some areas you learn to avoid at certain hours.

My experience was in 2008. I had gone out with my guys that night with the plan to crash at a friend's place in Ikoyi. At about 12am, I went to drop off my chick at Dolphin, gisted with her for about 2 hours before heading for my guy's place, but on getting to his house along Rumen street and calling his phone, the thing just kept ringing. Apparently, the guy was fast asleep.

Considering the fact that I was a little tipsy, and my own house was far off in Ajah, I decided to chill in front of his gate till morning since it was about 2am then.

Veeery bad decision!

I was asleep in my car, when around 5am, i heard a knock on my window. I opened my eyes, and saw a military looking guy signalling me to roll down my glass.

Foolishly, I did, and He asked me what I was doing in front of the house. As I was struggling to explain in my half-asleep state, he reached in, opened the car door, pointed a pistol at my head and barked "get out of the car or I will blow your head now!"

Omo, I woke-up sharp-sharp, got out and he then rapidly searched me, and my car.

While he was doing that, I considered jumping him, then I noticed that there was another guy on a bike waiting for the first guy, so I just held my peace.

Unfortunately for me, I had my new 300k Laptop that was barely 3 weeks old in the backseat of the car, containing a 3 month long project I was to submit on Monday. I had gotten the new laptop because the old one I had couldn't handle the heavy graphics.

He carried that, took the 4k in my wallet, pointed his gun at me and asked my to bring my keys. All this while it was as if I was watching everything from the sidelines. Surprisingly, he didn't take my e61i Nokia phone, probably too cheap for him.

I hand over my keys, then he told me to running the other direction,or " I will fire you now"!

Men I ran o! I heard him jump on the waiting bike,and ride off.

I was relieved he hadn't taken my car, but seriously, if not for my keys which he had taken, I would have chased him down with my car and crushed him to death.

I then jumped the fence into my friend's compound (which I should have done since), banged on his door till he opened it, and went back to sleep.

I later found my car keys on the main road the following morning after searching for about an hour, twisted and mangled by car wheels, but I was still able to start the car with it.

Since then, I never keep valuables in the car if I can afford not to, and what I do have to carry, I keep in the boot (trunk). They never seem to search the boot.

And of course, I never stay outside in my car anywhere late. Would rather get a room in a hotel somewhere or rough it out till I get to my house.

probably a soldier - probably one in the neighborhood for that matter.

or maybe a soldier's kid

a few years ago there was a persistent wave of armed robberies along lagos bdagry expressway around the Ojo cantonment. those were almost definitely soldier's kids
Re: Ever Had Your Vehicle Stolen, Or Broken Into? by DisGuy: 6:38am On Jul 18, 2011
@ Oyb, you sat in the car while all that knocking was going on? ?? you brave o
I would get down and pick race!!!!

some scary things on this thread, seems lagos traffic is the main target for these fellas!
Seems many people still dont trust insurance, nobodys talking about claiming or repairs

I'll definitely be thinking of pepper-spray/mace just in case some unarmed bandit come calling
Re: Ever Had Your Vehicle Stolen, Or Broken Into? by Nobody: 9:36am On Jul 18, 2011
My insurance company picked up the repair tab on my Audi Quattro. Cost of replacing the driver's door, door handle / lock, steering column cowling and side skirt / sill came to £7,500. That included labour, and respray of new panels back to the original Alpine White.
Re: Ever Had Your Vehicle Stolen, Or Broken Into? by lastpage: 11:33pm On Jul 18, 2011
^^^^^My Insurance company installed "a tracking system" in my car as part of the comprehensive insurance package l did with them.

Would it not be good for ya if you work with them or how do l pay for something l can get "for free" (as part of the package ofcourse!) from them?

Or do you offer a particular "selling point" that differentiate yours and gives me a better advantage?

Dont mind me joo, l was just wondering aloud! grin
Re: Ever Had Your Vehicle Stolen, Or Broken Into? by PupetMasta(m): 10:42am On Jul 19, 2011
This thread just gave me a flash back on my ordeal on February 2011. I just acquired a 2004 EOD Honda, it was just about 2 months old when I was disposed of it in front of my house. Usually my unofficial closing time at work is around 9 pm but on this unlucky friday I closed 7:30 pm, did the whole journey home and was just blaring the horn for the gateman to open the gate. He opened the first gate and then ran off, I looked into my rear view mirror and noticed some guys coming towards me, I thought about driving into the compound but I also thought it was a bad idea since there are other cars inside the compound, it will be sad if they stole all the cars and other valuables, by that time the assholes were already by my door knocking on it, I opened the door, they dragged me out told me to lie down. They got into car tried to start the car but it did not start, they came back for me, dragged me into the car and told me to start the car while also punching me. I started the car, they dragged me out searched me, took my phones. They also took away my laptop which is usually at the back seat when I am driving.

The funniest thing is that I saw the sign that I will likely be robbed cos before my incident, 2 colleagues from a partner organization living in my area were robbed a month before my incident, my neighbor was also robbed in the house a month before my incident. Thinking of it now I think I should propose the gateman be sacked because my neighbor's car that was stolen was suppose to be my car, she was just unfortunate her daughter ran into them. According to report when the robbers came in they asked the gateman to take them to the owner of the car (pointing to my car) but the woman's daughter ran into them so they have to divert. The asshole of a gateman did not tell anybody this till I was finally robbed.
Re: Ever Had Your Vehicle Stolen, Or Broken Into? by carnal: 2:40pm On Jul 19, 2011
na w aooo quite scary tales oo,neva had an experience and pray neva to
Re: Ever Had Your Vehicle Stolen, Or Broken Into? by lastpage: 6:06pm On Jul 22, 2011
Well, Siena was right afterall, for breaking the leg of that never-do-well! grin

From what l gather from this article, it is called REASONABLE USE OF FORCE TO PROTECT YOU & YOUR FAMILY! (Is his car not part of his family? Mind your sef joo wink shocked )

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/no-charge-homeowner-over-burglar-stabbing-102227647.html

By the way, l look forward to the day when we are allowed to carry 'legally' fire-arms to defend our family in our homes, when th e'bad boys" come calling! That should be a natural thing, l think?
Re: Ever Had Your Vehicle Stolen, Or Broken Into? by Nobody: 1:34am On Apr 07, 2016
b
Re: Ever Had Your Vehicle Stolen, Or Broken Into? by Nobody: 7:57am On Apr 08, 2016
MULLAH123:
b
bump
Re: Ever Had Your Vehicle Stolen, Or Broken Into? by Nobody: 11:38am On Apr 08, 2016
Holy necro bump, Mullah! You revived this old thread, without adding anything to it.

1 Like

Re: Ever Had Your Vehicle Stolen, Or Broken Into? by Nobody: 1:09pm On Apr 08, 2016
Siena:
Holy necro bump, Mullah! You revived this old thread, without adding anything to it.
Trust me, I enjoy every bit of it. Was just done with some work late night and surfing through your 'mods' when i came across it.

To your own experience, I support you on that, I too pity the guy, but mehn! the mofo get liver o! you dey jack car and someone came over talking to you, you even have the guts to answer him and continue. Na why naija dey different, here him fo know yawa don gass for am that moment.

Personally, I haven't experience any car jacking or prts removal. I only want to read more of peoples' experience. How I wish this thread can get to front page.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

I Need A Volkswagen Specialist / Mechanic / 9 Functional Ways To Keep Your Car In Top Condition / Lagos To Zaria Road Trip (with Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 110
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.