Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,184 members, 7,811,467 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:12 PM

PSG's Idrissa Gueye Causes Stir By Refusing To Wear Jersey Supporting LGBTQ - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / PSG's Idrissa Gueye Causes Stir By Refusing To Wear Jersey Supporting LGBTQ (48138 Views)

Arsenal Confirms David Luiz Deal, To Wear Jersey 23 / Senegal 1-0 Benin: Mane Assists Gueye To Lift Their Side Into AFCON Semi-finals / Barcelona Players To Wear Jersey With Names In Chinese Against Real Madrid (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

PSG's Idrissa Gueye Causes Stir By Refusing To Wear Jersey Supporting LGBTQ by ogbiwa: 6:39am On May 19, 2022
Paris St-Germain's Idrissa Gueye refused to play in a match to avoid wearing a rainbow symbol in support of LGBTQ+ rights, BBC Sport understands.

The 32-year-old former Aston Villa and Everton midfielder was absent from Saturday's 4-0 win over Montpellier.

PSG boss Mauricio Pochettino said only that Senagalese Gueye missed the game for "personal reasons".

The French Football Federation (FFF) has reportedly written to Gueye to clarify why he was absent.

BBC Sport has approached Gueye's representatives for comment.

Crystal Palace's Cheikhou Kouyate and Watford's Ismaila Sarr have posted on social media in apparent support of their Senegal team-mate's stance.

Kouyate posted a picture of himself alongside Gueye on Instagram, with a caption calling Gueye "a real man". Watford winger Sarr posted a picture of him and Gueye accompanied by three heart emojis and the caption "100%".

In response to Sarr's post, Watford reiterated their commitment to equality and diversity, adding "this includes the willingness to offer further education and support to any of its employees".

At a news conference on Wednesday, Crystal Palace boss Patrick Vieira said if his player had posted in relation to Gueye, he would speak to them. "It's going to be an in-house conversation," he added.

Homosexuality is illegal in Senegal and punishable by prison sentences of up to five years. It is also illegal in Qatar, where PSG's owners hail from and where the men's 2022 World Cup will be staged later this year.

The top Twitter trend in the world on Wednesday was #WeareallIdrissa with tweets sent to support Gueye's stance.

Gueye's stance is in contrast to the overwhelmingly positive response from football towards Blackpool's 17-year-old forward Jake Daniels coming out as gay on Monday - the first openly gay men's professional footballer in Britain since Justin Fashanu 30 years ago.

For the second successive season, clubs in France have been invited to mark 17 May's International Day Against Homophobia, Biphobia and Transphobia by wearing rainbow-design numbers on the back of their shirts.

In addition to missing Saturday's win over Montpellier, Gueye, who arrived at PSG for £30m in July 2019, missed last year's show of solidarity citing gastroenteritis, according to Le Parisien newspaper, who first reported the reason for his absence.

The AFP news agency said on Wednesday it had seen a letter from the FFF's ethics board calling on Gueye to explain why he missed Saturday's game.

The letter, says AFP, calls for him to "issue a public apology" or to say that the rumours he refused to play are "unfounded".

The letter reportedly adds if he did refuse to play he would be "validating discriminatory behaviour".

PSG said on Wednesday that they were "very proud to wear this shirt".

"The biggest stars of world football were on the field on Saturday and expressed the club's commitment to the fight against homophobia and all forms of discrimination," it added.

Gueye's stance has been supported by prominent politicians in Senegal.

The country's president Macky Sall wrote on Twitter that Gueye's Muslim beliefs must be respected, while sport minister Matar Ba wrote that Gueye was backed by his country's people, alongside a picture of the midfielder on pilgrimage to Mecca.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/61492696

88 Likes 12 Shares

Re: PSG's Idrissa Gueye Causes Stir By Refusing To Wear Jersey Supporting LGBTQ by ArchiLimited: 6:40am On May 19, 2022
When your name is Gueye and is normally pronounced as Gay, it's easy to see why the young man would have such disdain for gays. Do you know how many times he would've been taunted growing up because of his name.

God bless you Idrissa, thank you for standing for your beliefs in the middle of a world that has lost it's mind. Infact because of this I'm signing you at all costs on FIFA 21.

I saw how the entire world was praising the young footballer that openly came out as gay earlier this week like he had found a cure to cancer. Despicable people.

If you have an upcoming building project or want to modernize an existing one, contact me for top class Architectural designs and construction, and in good faith, we'll first design a sample plan for your project for FREE.
Contact is in my signature below

620 Likes 68 Shares

Re: PSG's Idrissa Gueye Causes Stir By Refusing To Wear Jersey Supporting LGBTQ by Skyfornia(m): 6:43am On May 19, 2022
Nice one from him..they should respect his personal opinion and not impose it.

Don't know why the west are forcing this down our throats.

411 Likes 34 Shares

Re: PSG's Idrissa Gueye Causes Stir By Refusing To Wear Jersey Supporting LGBTQ by EmzyT: 6:52am On May 19, 2022
Great guy !

172 Likes 18 Shares

Re: PSG's Idrissa Gueye Causes Stir By Refusing To Wear Jersey Supporting LGBTQ by BAJEsoot: 6:52am On May 19, 2022
Very brave

I don't understand, why must they force it on him

LGBTQ is a useless phenomenon

368 Likes 39 Shares

Re: PSG's Idrissa Gueye Causes Stir By Refusing To Wear Jersey Supporting LGBTQ by DenreleDave(m): 6:52am On May 19, 2022
grin grin grin

Stupid players like Ronaldo would have accepted it......

Those who think Ronaldo is a great player are mumu in disguise.... undecided undecided

How can you say such when the almighty Messi is still on the pitch

36 Likes 11 Shares

Re: PSG's Idrissa Gueye Causes Stir By Refusing To Wear Jersey Supporting LGBTQ by Nokio1: 6:52am On May 19, 2022
As country red if dem give me visa I go support LgBTs die...I fit change my name to bobrisky gaybu jennér okupe pikin...god go judge buhari for me!!!

36 Likes 9 Shares

Re: PSG's Idrissa Gueye Causes Stir By Refusing To Wear Jersey Supporting LGBTQ by PrinceInTheNort: 6:52am On May 19, 2022
Forcing a minority’s opinion is now somehow freedom of speech. Idrissa Gueye basically said I’m not against you but I’m not with you.

That’s not good enough; according to the “free world”

We stand with you, brother Idrissa Gueye

418 Likes 51 Shares

Re: PSG's Idrissa Gueye Causes Stir By Refusing To Wear Jersey Supporting LGBTQ by autodevice(m): 6:52am On May 19, 2022
Hmmm

2 Likes

Re: PSG's Idrissa Gueye Causes Stir By Refusing To Wear Jersey Supporting LGBTQ by Omihanifa: 6:52am On May 19, 2022
No big deal After all Frédéric Kanouté too at a point refused to wear a Sevilla shirt bearing the name of club sponsor 888.com, due to the fact the website is used for gambling, which is against the principles of Islam; the club had to give him a brand-free jersey every match.

159 Likes 18 Shares

Re: PSG's Idrissa Gueye Causes Stir By Refusing To Wear Jersey Supporting LGBTQ by Uglybwoi: 6:53am On May 19, 2022
Wearing the jersey doesn't necessarily mean you believe in it. Sometimes, standing rigid on your beliefs isn't always the right move.

For those that quoted me, everyone of course is entitled to his or her opinions. The fact still remains that in any area of life, to attain the height or pinnacle of power you have to be a wolf in sheep's clothing. It's a matter of logic and not emotions. By the time, he stays on the bench for the remainder of his career, then he would understand what it means to be a black man in the wild west

19 Likes 13 Shares

Re: PSG's Idrissa Gueye Causes Stir By Refusing To Wear Jersey Supporting LGBTQ by saheedbadmus(m): 6:53am On May 19, 2022
Hmm he is such a brave man.. Well he also has a right not to partake in the match , since the match sas ment for gay solidarity and being gay is against his believe so why summon him for explanation na..

54 Likes 6 Shares

Re: PSG's Idrissa Gueye Causes Stir By Refusing To Wear Jersey Supporting LGBTQ by Throwback: 6:53am On May 19, 2022
LGBT support is not by force.

104 Likes 11 Shares

Re: PSG's Idrissa Gueye Causes Stir By Refusing To Wear Jersey Supporting LGBTQ by AFvckingAlpha(m): 6:53am On May 19, 2022
Idrissa has been put in a dicey situation.

He’s got to show support for the LGBTQ, he needs to drop that African shitty mentality, this is 2022, we need to respect people’s sexual orientation.

He’s gonna bear the full the brunt, he’s got to educate homophobics but he is stalling and he’s only going to suffer cos he’s not playing.

I know people gonna come for me but I ain’t scared bring it on plus I’m fvcking straight infact I love pussy, I ain’t even getting enough pussy lately, we just need to respect people’s decisions, science validates homosexuality to a degree though!

Imagine the Idrissa has a teammate the came out like the Blackpool guy did, how you think he go’n feel. How’s Idrissa gonna fell if he’s discriminated cos of he’s skin color. It caught across both ways.

I said what I said nigga

Modified

Damn, niggas really be coming for me but it just shows how backwards we are as a people.

At this age we at and you’re homophobic, I mean it’s just stupid. We are evolving and we gotta respect people’s diversity and that we cannot always be the same.

Often homosexuality is never choice, A man just likes a man and a woman just likes a woman, it’s natural and you wanna come down on folks for that.

I love pussy, I don’t need to validate to that any fvcking body here.
It’s really sad with all the toxic mentions I be seeing and you lots deserve what you going through in the country. So backwards!

I said what I said again bitch ass niggarrs

13 Likes 5 Shares

Re: PSG's Idrissa Gueye Causes Stir By Refusing To Wear Jersey Supporting LGBTQ by whitebeard(m): 6:53am On May 19, 2022
Wtf....these people are taking things way to far, wtf...so if someone doesn't support lgbtq it a crime..? What happened to freedom of expression..?

Lgbt chose lgbt fine...ur choice.

I don't want... that is my choice..

Omo nawa.

104 Likes 16 Shares

Re: PSG's Idrissa Gueye Causes Stir By Refusing To Wear Jersey Supporting LGBTQ by DarlingtonC: 6:53am On May 19, 2022
GAY IS EVIL AND SATANIC.

Argue with your keyboard

128 Likes 11 Shares

Re: PSG's Idrissa Gueye Causes Stir By Refusing To Wear Jersey Supporting LGBTQ by johnkay1(m): 6:54am On May 19, 2022
Ok
Re: PSG's Idrissa Gueye Causes Stir By Refusing To Wear Jersey Supporting LGBTQ by Parisian: 6:54am On May 19, 2022
Supported

2 Likes

Re: PSG's Idrissa Gueye Causes Stir By Refusing To Wear Jersey Supporting LGBTQ by ugosilva: 6:54am On May 19, 2022
Dx westerners dey mad gan....

Must he support their own belief...if na me be Gueye...I no go apologize.

19 Likes

Re: PSG's Idrissa Gueye Causes Stir By Refusing To Wear Jersey Supporting LGBTQ by true2god: 6:54am On May 19, 2022
The evil west now want everyone to comply with their LGTB demand. Shame on the west. God bless Idrissa.

89 Likes 7 Shares

Re: PSG's Idrissa Gueye Causes Stir By Refusing To Wear Jersey Supporting LGBTQ by TriCee: 6:54am On May 19, 2022
Nice one, they should do their gay rights in peace and leave him out.

35 Likes 4 Shares

Re: PSG's Idrissa Gueye Causes Stir By Refusing To Wear Jersey Supporting LGBTQ by Guestiboa: 6:55am On May 19, 2022
Being Gay is mental illness

84 Likes 12 Shares

Re: PSG's Idrissa Gueye Causes Stir By Refusing To Wear Jersey Supporting LGBTQ by Kingcalls: 6:55am On May 19, 2022
Y do these LGBTA people try to force their beliefs on other people?? The same thing they preach against, is what they do

34 Likes 4 Shares

Re: PSG's Idrissa Gueye Causes Stir By Refusing To Wear Jersey Supporting LGBTQ by Sike(m): 6:55am On May 19, 2022
What is LGBTQ?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: PSG's Idrissa Gueye Causes Stir By Refusing To Wear Jersey Supporting LGBTQ by Guyman02: 6:55am On May 19, 2022
It's within his right not to support Lesbianism and Gays as long as he doesn't do them no harm, Watford is talking about educating their staff because it seems Europe is becoming more like a communist enclave where people are forcefully reeducated to conform to some expected norms against their beliefs

37 Likes 4 Shares

Re: PSG's Idrissa Gueye Causes Stir By Refusing To Wear Jersey Supporting LGBTQ by 6pack: 6:55am On May 19, 2022
End of his career. He no know say na LGBT own all those top clubs?

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: PSG's Idrissa Gueye Causes Stir By Refusing To Wear Jersey Supporting LGBTQ by redcliff: 6:55am On May 19, 2022
watch as them go come for am like Kapernick. In 50-100years, gay rights will trump normal rights. what they are doing now is infiltrating all the systems they can infiltrate. catching your kids young, in cartoons, displaying same sex dads for kids that are not even five. Mind programming everywhere.

69 Likes 7 Shares

Re: PSG's Idrissa Gueye Causes Stir By Refusing To Wear Jersey Supporting LGBTQ by Realist12: 6:56am On May 19, 2022
Man , that's a real African man ..we shouldn't just swallow everything from the west because they appear more civilized. Growing up reading novels homosexuals were categorized by the authors as mentally unstable cult , which needed to be treated as it should be.
Is man now accepting it where as it goes against the laws of nature .
It's not everytime we accept foreign practices .
This is an awakening from the black man .
And there's the forceful indoctrination of some of their beliefs which is wrong .

39 Likes 5 Shares

Re: PSG's Idrissa Gueye Causes Stir By Refusing To Wear Jersey Supporting LGBTQ by gadetag: 6:56am On May 19, 2022
Nice one from Idriss Gueye
What NONSENSE

19 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Indonesia Stadium Tragedy: 129 People Dead Following Soccer Match, Police Say / AFCON 2021: Eguavoen Bans Pinnick From Super Eagles’ Dressing Room / Funny Nicknames Of Former Super Eagles Legends And How They Got Them

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.