Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,350 members, 7,836,425 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 07:38 AM

Buhari Silent Over Assent To Electoral Act Amendment - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Silent Over Assent To Electoral Act Amendment (10932 Views)

Bashir Magashi Named In $550,000 Fund Diversion, Buhari Silent / Appointments: Buhari Silent Over Monguno, Service Chiefs, Others / Buhari Silent Because Most Nigerians Killed In South Africa Are Igbos – Omokri (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buhari Silent Over Assent To Electoral Act Amendment by 9jatriot(m): 3:52pm On May 19, 2022
Someone enlighten me here. The information here looks like mischief.

The bill accented to by the president among other things mandates that all political appointees resign at least 30 days before the convention (if my memory serves me right).

The only change presidency requested for (Malami requested for actually) is for that clause to be removed so that Malami can be a minister and still contest, that is the one that National assembly threw out. At the moment there is no current bill with the president that needs to be signed.

The only other issues is Malami trying to arm twist the judiciary to overrule the bill that the president has already signed.

At least, this is how I understand the situation, if anyone is more updated than I am, kindly let me know
Re: Buhari Silent Over Assent To Electoral Act Amendment by benini56(m): 3:55pm On May 19, 2022
When PMB was complaining about the section 84/12 they fought against it, now you want him to listing to you?

1 Like

Re: Buhari Silent Over Assent To Electoral Act Amendment by fergie001: 4:01pm On May 19, 2022
9jatriot:

The bill accented to by the president among other things mandates that all political appointees resign at least 30 days before the convention (if my memory serves me right).

The only change presidency requested for (Malami requested for actually) is for that clause to be removed so that Malami can be a minister and still contest, that is the one that National assembly threw out. At the moment there is no current bill with the president that needs to be signed.

The only other issues is Malami trying to arm twist the judiciary to overrule the bill that the president has already signed.

At least, this is how I understand the situation, if anyone is more updated than I am, kindly let me know

https://www.nairaland.com/7119648/electoral-act-senate-amends-section

https://www.nairaland.com/7121653/reps-amend-electoral-act-allow

These links will help you.

The Electoral Act 2022 has a clause in S84(8 which the National Assembly members in a bid to disenfranchise everyone but themselves made a superfluous error.

A Political Party that adopts the system of indirect primaries for the choice of its Candidate shall clearly outline in its Constitution and rule the procedure for the democratic election of delegates to vote at the Convention, Congress or meeting.

What it means is that: Statutory Delegates like President, VP, etc cannot vote unless they are one of those elected at their respective Ward, LG or National Delegates elections.

Malami will be trying to get back at the National Assembly members who ordinarily should have been Statutory Delegates. Both political parties are in soup if he doesn't sign because it makes a whole mess of S84(12). It is in its sense, contradictory.

PS:
The President didn't sign any bill mandating political appointees to resign 30 days before the Convention. Political Appointees should resign before the Convention and that's it. It could even be hours before.

garfield1 vicdom kahal29 penguin2 indispensable85 ejimatic agberaorogboye AAA593 Dawn91 Bash92

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Silent Over Assent To Electoral Act Amendment by STEWpid(f): 4:01pm On May 19, 2022
Chai
Re: Buhari Silent Over Assent To Electoral Act Amendment by Winning123: 4:06pm On May 19, 2022
Underestimate President Buhari to your peril. The man puts it's joker close to his chest. By the time he unleashes it, all actors become dumb founded

1 Like

Re: Buhari Silent Over Assent To Electoral Act Amendment by Themandator: 4:14pm On May 19, 2022
Honourable1901:
Guys I don't know if I'm the only that have this thinking, of buhari sinking our our democracy,instead of consolidating it.

First,he returned the electoral act for an amendment on direct primaries,with an explanation that it's expensive. This same direct primaries he called expensive was used to elect Abiola in 1993,was used to remove ambode in 2019,was used to in osun for oyetola second term primaries.Yet he comes out to tell us it's expensive ..you know why?

As long as every party allows it's members and not delegates ,to decide thier party flag bearers the leaders will be chickened out.The beautiful thing of this direct primaries is that it allow all everybody in the party to decide the party's fate.

Now PDP will flag a mediocre,APC will flag another danger we as citizens will be left to decide who is a lesser danger and a better mediocre among them,when we can push them out from the primaries.
Same primaries all aspirants is ready to spends 100 of millions in dollars to win .

Until the parties can present register of members.. Not concocted.. Actual members, it is rubbish to allow such manipulation

Explain how President got 23m votes for his primaries bit couldn't get same figure in a nationwide election

Andy got over 200, 000 votes hit scored less than 50,000 in the main election

Sanwo Oku scored less than the votes he got from primaries when all of Lagos now was supposed to have added more to what his party already gave him

President Buhari is right to have refused assent to that bill

The man you mentioned in Osun but for Buhari looking away to allow the police help him win he already lost the win and yet scored fanciful figures during primary.. Mif only those who was alleged to have voted for him in the primary came out to vote for him he won't have needed to campaign
Re: Buhari Silent Over Assent To Electoral Act Amendment by Adedayorr(m): 4:14pm On May 19, 2022
Buhari should be careful with his evil agenda against the South, otherwise Nigeria will become history
Re: Buhari Silent Over Assent To Electoral Act Amendment by ominilongest(m): 4:15pm On May 19, 2022

Work no dey
Suffering and smiling
Bet no pay
Sub no dey
Na so hunger full everywhere.
Nairalanders! pls help a fellow brother in times of despair
Any amount will be appreciated guys embarassed
Thank you in ad; good Samaritan, Eshey cheesy

Nine one two seven nine two three six five seven
Opay
Re: Buhari Silent Over Assent To Electoral Act Amendment by Themandator: 4:17pm On May 19, 2022
Adedayorr:
Buhari should be careful with his evil agenda against the South, otherwise Nigeria will become history

Adhoc delegates have been given the power to elect the flagbearers.... Apc says 3 from each ward... I belive they were elect yesterday
Re: Buhari Silent Over Assent To Electoral Act Amendment by famology(m): 4:22pm On May 19, 2022
Hahahahahahahaha..... it's good like that.
Re: Buhari Silent Over Assent To Electoral Act Amendment by HelipsTech: 4:26pm On May 19, 2022
Do me, I do you, you all will be disenfranchised.

Tinubu must never be allowed to contest

1 Like

Re: Buhari Silent Over Assent To Electoral Act Amendment by Lawalemi(m): 4:44pm On May 19, 2022
Who take this idiot serious anymore
Re: Buhari Silent Over Assent To Electoral Act Amendment by Validated: 4:54pm On May 19, 2022
Hunters have become hunted. Buhari asked them to amend section 84(12), them "boned" him, now na baba turn to "bone" them. Quid-pro-quo grin

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Silent Over Assent To Electoral Act Amendment by MEGAdime(m): 4:58pm On May 19, 2022
Which Buhari is the Op talking about?
Really?
Re: Buhari Silent Over Assent To Electoral Act Amendment by Quantum22: 5:08pm On May 19, 2022
��
As always baba can't fail to disappoint
Re: Buhari Silent Over Assent To Electoral Act Amendment by Freebills12: 5:18pm On May 19, 2022
[color=#000099][/color]
9jatriot:

Recent one is that all the legislatures and executives are barred from voting in the primary election bc the law only recognized the delegates
Re: Buhari Silent Over Assent To Electoral Act Amendment by 9jatriot(m): 6:00pm On May 19, 2022
But the law does not stop them from attending right? Only prevents them from voting.
So, their presence there can still influence the votes of the delegates from the sidelines, right?

Freebills12:
[color=#000099][/color]

Recent one is that all the legislatures and executives are barred from voting in the primary election bc the law only recognized the delegates
Re: Buhari Silent Over Assent To Electoral Act Amendment by adebayo987: 6:16pm On May 19, 2022
Lanrelagboi:

https://westernpost.ng/exclusive-fears-mount-as-buhari-keeps-mum-over-assent-to-electoral-act-amendment/
Whatever you throw up must surely come down! He asked you guys to delete something but you refused and now you're thinking he'll bend to your will to sign what you think was an error whereas what he thought was an error wasn't assented to. Guys, he must not sign anything. Where you guys blind before?

I'm enjoying this now.
Re: Buhari Silent Over Assent To Electoral Act Amendment by Jonegonu: 6:17pm On May 19, 2022
The matter is already in court, all parties should wait after court judgement.
Re: Buhari Silent Over Assent To Electoral Act Amendment by Themandator: 7:20pm On May 19, 2022
fergie001:

The Electoral Act 2022 has a clause in S84(8 which the National Assembly members in a bid to disenfranchise everyone but themselves made a superfluous error.

A Political Party that adopts the system of indirect primaries for the choice of its Candidate shall clearly outline in its Constitution and rule the procedure for the democratic election of delegates to vote at the Convention, Congress or meeting.

What it means is that: Statutory Delegates like President, VP, etc cannot vote unless they are one of those elected at their respective Ward, LG or National Delegates elections.

Malami will be trying to get back at the National Assembly members who ordinarily should have been Statutory Delegates. Both political parties are in soup if he doesn't sign because it makes a whole mess of S84(12). It is in its sense, contradictory.

PS:
The President didn't sign any bill mandating political appointees to resign 30 days before the Convention. Political Appointees should resign before the Convention and that's it. It could even be hours before.

garfield1 vicdom kahal29 penguin2 indispensable85 ejimatic agberaorogboye AAA593 Dawn91 Bash92

The law should remain the way it is now. It will help curtail electoral expenses and manipulation by sitting executives

All this going from states to states in the name of consultation while dolling out millions to so called statutory delegates should stop
Re: Buhari Silent Over Assent To Electoral Act Amendment by gr8ofnnetwork(m): 7:27pm On May 19, 2022
Honourable1901:
Guys I don't know if I'm the only that have this thinking, of buhari sinking our our democracy,instead of consolidating it.

First,he returned the electoral act for an amendment on direct primaries,with an explanation that it's expensive. This same direct primaries he called expensive was used to elect Abiola in 1993,was used to remove ambode in 2019,was used to in osun for oyetola second term primaries.Yet he comes out to tell us it's expensive ..you know why?

As long as every party allows it's members and not delegates ,to decide thier party flag bearers the leaders will be chickened out.The beautiful thing of this direct primaries is that it allow all everybody in the party to decide the party's fate.

Now PDP will flag a mediocre,APC will flag another danger we as citizens will be left to decide who is a lesser danger and a better mediocre among them,when we can push them out from the primaries.
Same primaries all aspirants is ready to spends 100 of millions in dollars to win .

Honestly, for Nigeria to grow politically, two things are indispensable:
1) DIRECT PRIMARIES across board.
2) Party Finance: All Registered members to pay a unified party DUES.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Silent Over Assent To Electoral Act Amendment by Penguin2: 7:58pm On May 19, 2022
fergie001:

PS:

The President assented to the National Health something Bill today.

I thought he was going to assent to the amended Electoral Bill too, considering that party primaries are just days away, but he didn’t.

Like you said, Malami might wanna use this to get back at the National Assembly who thought they had schemed out political appointees with section 84(12), without knowing that they too would find themselves here.

The funny thing however, is that Buhari declining assent to the bill would be like biting one’s nose to spite one’s face. Because it means Buhari himself and state governors won’t be voting at primaries.

It would just elevate the ad hoc delegates to the position of mini gods.

Let’s see how things pan out anyways.
Re: Buhari Silent Over Assent To Electoral Act Amendment by Freebills12: 8:51pm On May 19, 2022
[color=#000099][/color]
9jatriot:
But the law does not stop them from attending right? Only prevents them from voting.
So, their presence there can still influence the votes of the delegates from the sidelines, right?

No it will not, secret ballot is method now.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Hon Farouk Cleared Of Wrong Doing / Mad Man Granted Interview On Channels TV? / Senate To Pass Whistle-blower Protection Bill In July

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.